Speculation: Jets set to trade Alan Faneca

rick34125

Jetting Around with Lisa Z

New York Jets reporter Lisa Zimmerman brings you information and thoughts regarding the team.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Free Agency update

Free agency continues to pick up steam as the Jets sign LaDainian Tomlinson. The future Hall-of-Fame running back, drafted in 2001 by the San Diego Chargers had started and played in all but one game in his career, up until 2009 when injuries sidelined him for two games.

In 2006 Tomlinson was named league MVP.

Although Tomlinson will serve as a back-up to Shonn Greene, the team clearly expects a significant contribution from him. In addition, as one Jets player told me, "Tomlinson is a team-first guy. Thomas Jones was a me-first guy."

The Jets have now shored up a couple of positions with the addition of Tomlinson and his former San Diego teammate, cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

After cutting Lito Sheppard and Donald Strickland, I would expect to see the Jets target another corner in the Draft. I would think they would be looking at wide receivers too.

Someone to keep an eye on - Alan Faneca. The 12-year veteran is getting close to the end of his career and he has an enormous contract. If Faneca doesn't decide to retire in the next few weeks, the Jets could look to trade him around the Draft. Offensive lineman Rob Turner could likely transition easily in the left guard spot, especially given the fact that the other four linemen are all returning. However, he would probably have to compete with Matt Slauson for the job.

Odds and ends - in addition to Kerry Rhodes being traded to the Cardinals, and free agent WR/ST Wallace Wright signing with the Panthers, LB Marques Murrell, also a free agent who played mostly on special teams has signed with the Patriots.

Nothing new on the James Dearth or Leon Washington fronts.

The really big news of the day (pun intended), is the fact that Rex Ryan underwent lap-band surgery yesterday. He has tried a variety of ways to lose weight in the past, including starting a liquid diet on the first day of training camp last year (because he apparently needed a bigger challenge than simply his first training camp as a head coach). I'm sure Ryan will be the first one to provide regular updates on the procedure and the specifics of his weight loss.

Posted by Lisa Zimmerman at 9:41 PM

Hmmm.... now that she mentions it..... I wonder.... maybe now is a good time to bring in Faneca's replacement and still get some value for him with a trade....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't buy it. Not only have I not heard this from anywhere else, but I can't imagine we would get anything of value that would make this move worth it at all. One of the greatest assets this team has is the fact that this offensive line has started the last 35 games together (regular and post season) and I can't see them screwing with that chemistry at this point.

There is no cap. If they moved Faneca it would be a cost cutting move in an uncapped year. That would be a bad sign. Does this some how tie back into PSL sales or of them.

For the most part I have not bought into the cost cutting theories that some (Bitonti among others) have discussed. All moves while saving the Jets money could be argued as football moves (Jones, Rhodes, Sheppard).

If they traded Faneca, I would for the first time start to think there is something to the speculation.

For the most part I have not bought into the cost cutting theories that some (Bitonti among others) have discussed. All moves while saving the Jets money could be argued as football moves (Jones, Rhodes, Sheppard).

If they traded Faneca, I would for the first time start to think there is something to the speculation.

I agree 100%. And I don't think they would make this move, I am sure it is just speculation by Lisa. Find it hard to believe they would do this.

I'm with you on this. I'm starting to worry that the PSLs aren't selling and Woody is feeling the heat. Yeah, I know, he's super rich and can handle losing some money. Thing is, he wants to _stay_ super rich.

Just by the wording you can tell this is complete speculation. Never going to happen, just looking over the roster will tell you that much. The Jets aren't going to break up the strongest unit, unless they already had somebody waiting in the wings. They'd have to either get blown away by an offer, get a player in the draft they feel comfortable with starting from day one, or a combination of both. This is still a run first team until Sanchez proves it otherwise, no way Ryan signs off on this move, and I doubt Mikey T would consider it to begin with.

Maybe the Jets aren't as optimistic as us fans as to how close we are to a SB appearance...LOL.

You don't trade one of the main cogs in the O line (one of the best in the league) if you're contending...dumb reporting, whether it's speculation or not.

Sheppard for 10 million or a vastly superior and much younger All-Pro cover corner?

A pedestrian every down back who falls down on first contact for somebody who is happy to be the number 2 RB and who is a major offensive weapon due to his pass catching skills.

A pansy safety who won't hit anybody or a younger safety who can take chances and just lay the wood due to having 2 great cover corners around him.

I don't think any of them can be viewed as anything other than solid football moves...

if the jets feel they are able to draft a good LG or that slauson is capable to replace Faneca, then why not?

now that ferguson and mangold have matured and have played together for 4 years, couldn't they help a young promising player get up to speed?

faneca has started to drop off. he provided the worst pass protection of anyone else on the line last season. the jets could still get some trade value for him, in addtion to dropping his huge contract.

no doubt there would be some bumps in the road with a new LG, but with all the other lineman returning and a great line coach in callahan the transition might not be very long.

the move might not make the most sense for this season, but it does overall for the long term.

now that i'm thinking about it the move kinda makes sense and just depends on the 1st point i made above.

Sheppard for 10 million or a vastly superior and much younger All-Pro cover corner?

A pedestrian every down back who falls down on first contact for somebody who is happy to be the number 2 RB and who is a major offensive weapon due to his pass catching skills.

A pansy safety who won't hit anybody or a younger safety who can take chances and just lay the wood due to having 2 great cover corners around him.

I don't think any of them can be viewed as anything other than solid football moves...

Agreed. That's why I haven't bought into the "fire sale" hype that some have. Faneca on the other hand (short of getting a 2nd round pick or higher) just would not make football sense and would make me reconsider my position.

Mods, can the thread title be changed to include the word 'speculation'? The thread title makes it seem as if they have something in place or are on the verge when this story doesn't seem to have legs yet.

Thomas Jones was a me-first player? Interesting...

...and I don't think now is a time to consider trading Faneca. We are very close to being able to win it all...

As far as the Jones comment, one has to wonder if that perception was caused by a combination of his play struggling greatly down the stretch last year and yet still reportedly taking issue with the coaching staff for reducing his role in the offense late in the year, as that is something that had been mentioned by other sources earlier in the offseason. A guy taking issue with the coaching staff when he's getting clearly outplayed and especially when the coach is such a popular guy, could certainly rub some people the wrong way.

So what makes her think Faneca is thinking about retirement- the Jets mainstay has been the togetherness of the O/l- hard to see them dismantling that next year I think.

And good OLineman don't retire at 33 years old.

That's horrible reporting by her. Good Olineman play into their late 30s

Did anyone find him contemplating retirement anywhere? The chemistry on that line is so good right now this makes me have sadness.

yea I also doubt the validity of this-I've read nowhere else from any of the beat writers anything about Faneca either considering retirement or the Jets trading him

now that i'm thinking about it the move kinda makes sense and just depends on the 1st point i made above.

No, it doesn't make sense.

You don't cut Thomas Jones because you believe he's a product of the Oline and then get rid of an important component of that Oline.

In other words, you can't say, "Well, we can get someone else to be a running back because our oline is so good," and then weaken the oline.

It makes no sense from a football standpoint.

Really. That's pretty funny considering he was easily our worst run blocker last year.

Where did the Jets run, when they were in crucial 3rd or 4th downs and short yardage this year?

They ran over Right Tackle.

With Faneca pulling.

You need to post more. This post fills me with joy and keeps me from feeling bad that breakfast is over.

this part gets me; "Rob Turner could likely transition easily in the left guard spot" is a friggin joke. To think you could just slide in an untested 2nd year guy to do what a borderline HOFer can do is ludicrous. (and that's the first time I ever used that word) Adrian Clarke and that Montgomery guy in 2007 proved THAT claim doesn't hold water at that position.

what moron gm would actually trade anything of value for a player clearly at the end of his career with his monster contract to boot?faneca played decently last year,but if i had to point out 1 of the 5 guys as a liability,it would be faneca.faneca on a lesser offensive line would be exposed as losing at least 2 steps

what moron gm would actually trade anything of value for a player clearly at the end of his career with his monster contract to boot?faneca played decently last year,but if i had to point out 1 of the 5 guys as a liability,it would be faneca.faneca on a lesser offensive line would be exposed as losing at least 2 steps

you know who we should re-sign Mark? Anthony 'The Human Pancake" Clement

Archived