Jared Odrick or Golden Tate In First?

Mr.Revis

Most mock drafts have us taking Jared Odrick that could play 3-4 end in our system or have us taking the slot wide reciever Golden Tate. If it was to come down to these two players which is likely to happen, which player would you choose. My vote goes to Tate. We ranked DEAD LAST in the passing game. That alone should be enough to justify us taking a deadly offensive weapon in the first. We ranked EIGHTH in the run defense. What are some of you guys opinions?

Quality 3-4 DE's are harder to come by than slot receivers in this draft, and any DE we draft could compete for a starting job right away with Marques Douglas. I'll go with Odrick, if those end up our 2 choices.

There are other potential slot receivers that should be available as late as the 4th round.

Quality 3-4 DE's are harder to come by than slot receivers in this draft, and any DE we draft could compete for a starting job right away with Marques Douglas. I'll go with Odrick, if those end up our 2 choices.

There are other potential slot receivers that should be available as late as the 4th round.

Yeah but same can be said for potential 34 DEs. I think it comes done to who you think will be a better pro. I'm putting my money on Tate.

i think 3-4 end is our biggest concern right now and for the future. you need to fortify your trenches...and we are painfully thin at DE. we have anice 1-2 wr punch and a nice receiving te and now we also have lt to come out of the backfield. i say we should take odrick. w elaos need to start buildign septh on the o-line too. we are starting to get older on the lines and thats a concern. just look at the chiefs...they had a number one caliber offense up until their o-line got old.

I mean I looked at these highlights from Jared Odrick and I really dont see anything special. He just dosent seem first round talent to me. Id rather get tyson alualu. Now that guy impresses me!

i think 3-4 end is our biggest concern right now and for the future. you need to fortify your trenches...and we are painfully thin at DE. we have anice 1-2 wr punch and a nice receiving te and now we also have lt to come out of the backfield. i say we should take odrick. w elaos need to start buildign septh on the o-line too. we are starting to get older on the lines and thats a concern. just look at the chiefs...they had a number one caliber offense up until their o-line got old.

this draft is LOADED with talent. There are many 3-4 defensive ends for us to choose later in the draft, my favorite being tyson alualu. Golden Tate is special to me. Hes a playmaker just lik desean jackson and percy harvin. Some are even comparing him to steve smith from the panthers. We could really use one of those to help mark sanchez from a sophomore slump.

Yeah, imo Odrick has to potential to be a solid starter, Tate has potential to be a star.

you hit it right on the spot man, jus because the defensive line is aging dosent mean u go out and get a de in the first, you gotta go by best player avaliable and it is tate hands down. just look how the steelers draft, they got polamulau wen it wasnt a big of a need and i think they made the right choice. but the thing is a slot wide reciever is on our top of the jets list and so is a legit kr/pr. golden tate gives us both. at # 29 tate will be regarded as a steal and i couple of years from now, but could make a strong impact for our team on day 1.

i dnt like either player in the first. but i dnt think we should even consider cody. he dosent fit rex ryans scheme. rex ryan makes his d linemen shoot the gap. cody cannot do tht.

A big, potentially dominant DT doesn't fit Rex's scheme? On what planet?

When's the last time a big DT wasn't in Rex's D?

If we are down to Tate and Oldrick as BPA @ 29 my vote leans toward Tate.

Too many options for 3-4 DE in the later rounds...

Even after getting Cro, suspect FO wants BPA with an emphasis on DB and WR and not necessarily in that order.

Not sure which will have better career in NFL...but would be leery if Cody is pick @ 29.

Classic boom or bust player...Can see him dominate or eat himself out of the league.

I'll sig bet or something on him coming into wherever his training camp is at 335.

A big, potentially dominant DT doesn't fit Rex's scheme? On what planet?

When's the last time a big DT wasn't in Rex's D?

see there is a difference though. Kris Jenkins is a big DT yes, but he is noteworthy for playing with a high amount of athletiscm. you'd have to tie a honey bun to the quarterback for cody to get a sack. point blank is, its not good to draft one dimensional players esp not in the first round.

see there is a difference though. Kris Jenkins is a big DT yes, but he is noteworthy for playing with a high amount of athletiscm. you'd have to tie a honey bun to the quarterback for cody to get a sack. point blank is, its not good to draft one dimensional players esp not in the first round.

So does Cody...hence Saban using him on STs to block kicks (which he did twice in one game to seal a game) and as a lead blocker on the goal line. The idea that Cody isn't athletic is a terrible joke or idea or whatever I'm seeing alot of on the internet. Amazing how much significance a 120 foot run in a straight line can have.

Also, I'm still not sure how Cody is one dimension. Also not sure how him being "only" a potentially dominant run stuffer and space eater is a bad thing.

I honestly can't believe Golden Tate is not talked about enough. He has the talent to be a Top 10 pick this year. Yes, this year. This is Steve Smith's clone right here, and I'm talking about the guy from Carolina.

Draft this animal, PLEASE!

ikQaUdZrET8

Tate is not a top 10. He's barely a first round pick. And he's closer to Hines Ward than he is Steve Smith, not that either would be bad to be compared to.

Man this guy's got to be the overrated prospect in the draft on this board. Brandon Lafell will go before Tate (as will Bryant, but that's a given).

I'll sig bet or something on him coming into wherever his training camp is at 335.

I'll pass on any bet...I enjoyed watching him play at the collegiate level so I'm rooting for him in the NFL...with that said...I still think he has the consistency issues (controlling his weight) that may hinder his development. Is he agressively staying on his conditioning program, will he break down from carrying too much weight? These kind of issues make me pause...in the second round or later (if he were to drop) we get more value plus a motivated big man out to prove the scouts were all wrong about him. In the first round its too huge of a gamble IMHO.

The guy weights 348 now, what's with the whole weight thing? It's clear he's made it an issue he wants to take care of...the fact that he also lost 60+ pounds during his 2 years at 'Bama only speaks more positively.

Also, SEC DTs that anchor the national championship DL probably don't drop all the way to 61. If he hits the 2nd he's gone within 12 picks there. We (or they) would be luck to get him since he should be gone in the first 20 picks.

The guy weights 348 now, what's with the whole weight thing? It's clear he's made it an issue he wants to take care of...the fact that he also lost 60+ pounds during his 2 years at 'Bama only speaks more positively.

Also, SEC DTs that anchor the national championship DL probably don't drop all the way to 61. If he hits the 2nd he's gone within 12 picks there. We (or they) would be luck to get him since he should be gone in the first 20 picks.

so im gunna take a wild guess and say you were all for andre smith last year :bag:

i will be the happiest man if the jets do three things and three things only. Either trade up to get brandon graham, Stay at #29 and get golden tate and if tate is off the board trade down and aquire more picks in this heavy talented draft class.

i dont want to be a parade rainer but i dont know that either are on the board at 29. Odrick makes sense to NE and BAL, both of whom have pretty dire DL situations outside of Wilfork and Ngata. Tate makes sense at 21 to CIN or a Jerry Jones DAL splash at 27.

I would much rather have Odrick. While I like Odrick better, I can hear the arguement that they provide similar value at the end of the 1st, but we are pretty old and thin on the defensive line and I think slot receivers can be found easier. If we took Odrick he would be a candidate to be a starter where if it was Tate we'd be grooming him as a slot WR or just a weapon in general, but probably not the starter, and that becomes a lock if we keep Edwards. Tate would then become potentially the 4th option after Braylon, Cotch, and Keller and that's to much of a luxury to spend a 1st rounder on when we have other significant needs. So then the question for me becomes do you want to spend a 1st rounder on a starting DE or a #3 WR?

take the big body

it's parcells old "planet" rule

there are just so many athletic big men on the planet

Explain to me please wat is so good about jared odrick. I see his highlights and I don't see first round talent. I lik tyson alualu much better.

Archived