Rex rips Leon: Ryan Not

F.Chowds

Wow.

Jones also played in a run-first offense behind an O-line with three current Pro-Bowlers, one former Pro-Bowler and maybe the single most underrated guard in the NFL.

LT played in a pass first offense behind a line that saw run blocking as a necessary evil, not a source of pride.

Comparing TJ and LT the last couple of years is like comparing apples to snow tires.[/QUOTE]

Actually it is like comparing Red apples to Green apples as they are 1 and 2 in yards rushed in the last 5 years if I am not mistaken.

People, and the media as usual, are taking what Rex said out of context. He said he wouldn't be comfortable giving Leon these carries right away because he's coming off injury, and he has to show he can handle it.

The fact that we aren't sitting here saying a single bad thing about Rex says a lot. It says that we trust Rex, and that any player that isn't in lockstep with the direction the organization is headed needs to go.

Hate to say it, as like many of you said, Leon is one of my favorite Jets. But taking bad advice from his agent is taking its toll. Come to voluntary workouts and fire your agent, Leon.

You guys are looking at those comments ridiculously wrong. Leon's Kevin Faulk 2.0. He got tendered a 2nd consciously, and it was mostly with the intention to keep him unless someone actually gave him a 2nd.

If he comes back strong next year...and he probably will...they'll lock him up long term. Good stuff for Sanchez and the offense....last year's injury pretty much erased memories of how valuable he is. I really hope that whole league championship game didn't get to the franchise's head like that...doesn't seem like it either.

You guys are looking at those comments ridiculously wrong. Leon's Kevin Faulk 2.0. He got tendered a 2nd consciously, and it was mostly with the intention to keep him unless someone actually gave him a 2nd.

If he comes back strong next year...and he probably will...they'll lock him up long term. Good stuff for Sanchez and the offense....last year's injury pretty much erased memories of how valuable he is. I really hope that whole league championship game didn't get to the franchise's head like that...doesn't seem like it either.

What "long-term"? The crippled stump is going to be 28 this summer. I'd rather re-load with someone from the draft -- McCluster as just one example.

Jones right now is better than LT, imo.

LT hasnt broken a tackle in 3 years. Jones is quicker, faster and has just as good as a nose for the endzone.

Neither are starting backs anymore, but right now I'd say Jones is the better player.

In the playoff game, I was begging for the Chargers to give the ball to LT.

Are you really using breaking tackles as a criteria for proving Jones better than LT? I can't remember one tackle TJ broke in 3 years here. I loved TJ, but the man dropped like a fly if someone breathed on him.

Im simply comparing how they ran. Jones had more speed, more moves(which is scary) and just as good as a nose for the endzone.

LT is finished. Regardless of how good our oline is. He is 3 yards and down. What made him great was his vision and cutting on a dime and hitting the hole. He lost that cutback speed.

He was never a guy that was breaking tackles.

While that's 100% untrue, LT's style is about avoiding tacklers, sometimes 2 or 3 at a time, and finding open space.

Sounds like Rex has come to his senses about the severity of Leon's injury.

And it sounds like Leon is playing it safe, doing his best to keep his physical status a mystery to all by avoiding workouts that might jeopardize his marketability.

As far as LT vs Thomas Jones goes, these videos show what LT does that TJ cannot, or never did:

6qnCrngv4Io

PhNhehBHurQ

8RvZc4cNHzk&feature=related

2006 highlights. lol

Doesn't matter; TJ never had those skills.

Guy is done.

Not true. LT has a new team, new life, new motivation, and inspiration. We'll find out how much '06 is left in him soon enough. He can still go airborne three yards out, get open, catch passes, create holes, throw blocks, and more.

TJ was all about running behind blockers; using blocks. If there weren't any holes, the play was pretty much dead. LT is a free bird who doesn't rely on help to make things happen.

Watch, LT's gonna explode. It's gonna be Shonn "My rib hurts too much to finish the AFCC" p()ssyhole Greene that'll be sulking on the bench next season.

This.

Whether or not Rex believes what he is currently saying about Leon Washington, he is clearly making the point that the team is prepared to move on without him if he doesn't get on board.

I like Leon Washington and even with the leg injury, I believe he can return to form. That being said, between the injury and his age, I cannot see any team (be it the Jets or any team that was to sign him) giving him the type of deal that he turned down last year. If he re-signs, I'll be excited to see him for another year in Jet green, but if somebody does sign him, I think you just have to wish him luck (unless its the Patriots that sign him lol) and take the 2nd round pick.

I don't think that's the case at all. It seems like you think that some team will pony up a 2nd and also a contract for a guy whose current coach is saying that his injury is so severe that he won't be able to get any carries.

How does that make any sense at all? All Rex is doing when he says these things is scaring teams off. At one time, I thought that the Jets were working the angle to get another team to write up an offer sheet for Leon to get real 'fair market' value on the table so they could get Leon signed to a reasonable contract, and not Pocket Hercules money.

Now it looks like they are trying to keep Leon on the cheap, for one year and $1.759mil, and get him in a contract year before he moves on in 2011. Leon will have to play his heart out this upcoming season.

With his own HC, a straight shooter, talking up the severity of his injury to the press on the same day the entire NFL world is listening to them, Leon's trade value went to the basement. And that's exactly what the Jets want.

Sounds like Rex has come to his senses about the severity of Leon's injury.

And it sounds like Leon is playing it safe, doing his best to keep his physical status a mystery to all by avoiding workouts that might jeopardize his marketability.

This is the kind of bull**** that has people against Leon. News flash! The normal timetable for an injury like Leon's is around six months. He was never expected to be running during these workouts. It's only because he's two months ahead of scheule that'll he's expected to be ready for camp.

Rex wants him with the team to show solidarity and unity. I'm sure Leon's at a first class facility, the **** about the Jets having the best is overblown. Rex also made a crack about having the best attendance at these camps, so it probably bothers him to be a man short. Leon probably isn't happy with the tender, so he's not doing the team any favors. It's a voluntary program so they can't force him to be there and he's not missing anything because he's not able to run yet.

Drafting a RB has to be a top priority. We should make a move up in the 2nd to snag a stud.

Seriously?

Moving up is a horrible idea IMO. Especially for a RB. They have Tomlinson and Greene. They have two guys that might be decent change of pace backs. Leon is still in town. There is no reason to reach for a back. None.

I don't think that's the case at all. It seems like you think that some team will pony up a 2nd and also a contract for a guy whose current coach is saying that his injury is so severe that he won't be able to get any carries.

How does that make any sense at all? All Rex is doing when he says these things is scaring teams off. At one time, I thought that the Jets were working the angle to get another team to write up an offer sheet for Leon to get real 'fair market' value on the table so they could get Leon signed to a reasonable contract, and not Pocket Hercules money.

Now it looks like they are trying to keep Leon on the cheap, for one year and $1.759mil, and get him in a contract year before he moves on in 2011. Leon will have to play his heart out this upcoming season.

With his own HC, a straight shooter, talking up the severity of his injury to the press on the same day the entire NFL world is listening to them, Leon's trade value went to the basement. And that's exactly what the Jets want.

I

This is the kind of bull**** that has people against Leon. News flash! The normal timetable for an injury like Leon's is around six months. He was never expected to be running during these workouts. It's only because he's two months ahead of scheule that'll he's expected to be ready for camp.

Says who? Leon and his agent? Talk about bull$hit.

Rex wants him with the team to show solidarity and unity.

Jeezuz.

More importantly, the JETS want their player to be under the care and evaluation of their own team doctors. Not by a sports medicine staff in Gulf Breeze that had zero participation in the surgery, and has zero interest in the team.

If Leon wants the big paycheck from NY, or elsewhere, now's the wrong time to go AWOL. Just sayin. It doesn't send a good signal to potential bidders either.

Moving up is a horrible idea IMO. Especially for a RB. They have Tomlinson and Greene. They have two guys that might be decent change of pace backs. Leon is still in town. There is no reason to reach for a back. None.

Disagree.

Leon, Greene, and LT all come with health risks. Why Chauncey is being overlooked is another matter, but Leon is more out the door than in. Again, if LW wants to stay, he should get his ass with the team, instead of using every excuse not to be there. Assume he's gone unless he takes a large pay cut.

Leon, Greene, and LT all come with health risks. Why Chauncey is being overlooked is another matter, but Leon is more out the door than in. Again, if LW wants to stay, he should get his ass with the team, instead of using every excuse not to be there. Assume he's gone unless he takes a large pay cut.

every national running back in the nfl comes with a health risk. as long punishing linebackers like ray lewis and patrick willis are in the league.

every national running back in the nfl comes with a health risk. as long punishing linebackers like ray lewis and patrick willis are in the league.

Thanks for the new angle, Mr. Euclid.

Football = contact sport = health risk. Brilliant observation.

Why didn't I think of that?

Must've been over thinking their '09 injuries, or something.

Thanks for the new angle, Mr. Euclid.

Football = contact sport = health risk. Brilliant observation.

Why didn't I think of that?

Must've been over thinking their '09 injuries, or something.

Your sarcasm is also great irony. You were the one who pointed the obvious in the first place. Another thing, thou shalt not need to reach for rb. we hve far greater needs in both a run clogging 3-4 de and a pass rushing olb.

and ...

Your sarcasm is also great irony. You were the one who pointed the obvious in the first place.

What you basically said was any RB can get hurt. Sure. My point is our current trio has already been hurt, as recently as several months ago, and pose a greater risk for injury than others.

The irony is in your refusal to stock another RB while stating that all RBs are susceptible to injury. Go figure.

It's a broken leg.

I'd take McCluster, but Leon could do it too.

More than your average, run of the mill "broken leg", though. It was a compound fracture, with bone sticking out of flesh in two places, oozing blood everywhere -- so gruesome that Jet players on the field said they could not bear to look at it. This is why I am leery about committing $$$$ to a RB with an uncertain future. Leon is a guy I would only take a chance on if it were on the cheap at this point. He obviously wants a max payday, so I am not sure how it is possible for the minds meet on this contract.

He obviously wants a max payday, so I am not sure how it is possible for the minds meet on this contract.

He's Jets property under his RFA tender. There's really no need for a meeting of the minds. Leon's looking for a better offer, and I'm sure the Jets will listen to offers for Leon's rights, too.

I don't see any reason to prioritize the RB in the draft at all. The Jets have Greene to be the primary workhorse. They have LT to back him up in that role, and to handle 3rd downs and goal line carries. They have Brad Smith to run the whatever-Cat and return kicks. They have Chauncey Washington or Danny Woodhead as a #3 RB if they want, or they can draft a player late, sign a couple UDFA's, or sign another team's cut over the summer. We're talking about a guy who'll contribute on specials or be deactivated on gamedays. Not really a critical spot.

Ryan is sending a pretty big message here. Alvin Keels are you listening?

Exactly the first thing I thought when I red rex's comments. Let's not forget, the first person to spout off when Leon was franchised was the agent, twittering that it was a 50/50 chance at best that Leon would be a jet next year. Not really something an agent of a "fan favorite" should be saying right off the bat.

Archived