THE OFFICIAL 2010 COLLEGE BASKETBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

gangreenman

It's hard to do invovling duke as I despise them. I know they got a creampuff road, I know they got some huge bad calls int heir favor BUT they still had to close those games out and beat those teams in their bracket along the way so congrats to them.

yes I have been irrational, something about seeing K happy that drives me nuts. I can't stand the guy, he is such a phony and he irritates me so obviously I am biased when discussing them.

I think if Flynn returned you guys would have won it all.

I think we would have won it all if Onuaku was healthy. If Flynn returned I find it hard to imagine us losing a single game this year... Although you never know how a player like him could change the team chemistry... If it weren't for him leaving, Scoop Jardine would still be an irrelevant name. And I think he's on pace to get drafted in the next two years.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either way though, I expect Syracuse to be VERY GOOD again next year... They have a good core of returning players in Scoop, Triche, Joseph, and Jackson... As well as a top 5 recruiting class coming in, including arguably the best Center in the class and a top 5 guard prospect.

If they can play as cohesively and as focused as they did this year, next year's Syracuse has the chance to be even better than this year's team IMO.

I think if Flynn returned you guys would have won it all.

I actually agree with this.

A starting five of:

Flynn

Rautins

Johnson

Jackson

Onuaku

would be literally unstoppable. The defense wouldn't have been as good, but still well above average. And with that offense, it wouldn't really matter what type of defense they played.

The thing that sucks is we can all play the what if game, I don't blame any player for leaving early but it sure does suck when your team losing big time players early. It was never going to happen but if we had Lawson and ellington back I believe the heels would have won it all this year.

The thing that sucks is we can all play the what if game, I don't blame any player for leaving early but it sure does suck when your team losing big time players early. It was never going to happen but if we had Lawson and ellington back I believe the heels would have won it all this year.

Exactly... And trust me I know how you feel after watching Duke win. For me it was like watching Calgoon and Uconn win their 2nd title the year after we won our 1st. I was probably about equally as pissed then as you are now.

I actually agree with this.

A starting five of:

Flynn

Rautins

Johnson

Jackson

Onuaku

would be literally unstoppable. The defense wouldn't have been as good, but still well above average. And with that offense, it wouldn't really matter what type of defense they played.

On paper, yes. But lets remember a few things...

1 - Boeheim is infamous for only going seven deep. Its something he has been asked about a lot and his answer is most famously "If I have Carmelo Anthony on my team, what good is it having him sit on the bench?" While this is a good point, on the flip side with him on the team, either Triche or Scoop gets cast out of playing time early. It would create a logjam at the G position, and Andy, who was our most valuable player all season, sees a reduced role and we in all likelihood see him rotating with Triche/Scoop for time at the 2 spot.

2 - Jonny Flynn, as great of a player as he was, was well known to have a big head. He knew how good he was and he knew that as long as he was on the team, Boeheim was going to let him play. As he did last year, he would be looking for his own a whole lot more then either of our PG's this year were. Since he would in all accounts be a "leader" of a team... The rest of our team may have followed suit and our unit may not have been nearly as cohesive.... Which was a HUGE part of the success the team had this year.

Just so y'all know, the blog, Ballin' is a Habit is doing a "Saying Goodbye" series on notable graduating seniors.

The one I did for them on Scottie Reynolds is here: http://www.ballinisahabit.net/2010/04/saying-goodbye-scottie-reynolds.html

The UConn Blog did one on Stanley Robinson: http://www.ballinisahabit.net/2010/04/saying-goodbye-stanley-robinson.html

And Testudo Times did one for Greivis Vasquez: http://www.ballinisahabit.net/2010/04/saying-goodbye-greivis-vasquez.html

There should be more to come...

If Villanova gets Cory Joseph (he's prob going to Texas, though) we will shoot up those recruiting rankings.

Also: UK's class is ranked too high. Enes Kanter may not even be cleared to play next year (or ever).

If Villanova gets Cory Joseph (he's prob going to Texas, though) we will shoot up those recruiting rankings.

Also: UK's class is ranked too high. Enes Kanter may not even be cleared to play next year (or ever).

He'll play. And they're going to get Brandon Knight as well. Now that Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe have all declared...And Calipari forced Patterson out the door... Calipari now has cleared all the cap room he needs to ensure he gets the best recruits available.

He'll play. And they're going to get Brandon Knight as well. Now that Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe have all declared...And Calipari forced Patterson out the door... Calipari now has cleared all the cap room he needs to ensure he gets the best recruits available.

The latest I am hearing is that the team he played for in Turkey paid him $600,000 over 4 years. There is no contract to produce, but there are bank receipts. If the NCAA reaches out to that team, they would be able to produce documents.

Calipari isn't forcing Patterson out. Patterson MAY still go back to UK, he hasn't hired an agent, and trust me, Calipari has enough scholarships to dole out even if Patterson returned to school.

My comment was based on the current state of their recruiting class, which only really contains one definite player at the moment. We THINK they'll get Knight. Kanter MAY be eligible (although, as I noted, that's looking more and more iffy).

The latest I am hearing is that the team he played for in Turkey paid him $600,000 over 4 years. There is no contract to produce, but there are bank receipts. If the NCAA reaches out to that team, they would be able to produce documents.

Calipari isn't forcing Patterson out. Patterson MAY still go back to UK, he hasn't hired an agent, and trust me, Calipari has enough scholarships to dole out even if Patterson returned to school.

My comment was based on the current state of their recruiting class, which only really contains one definite player at the moment. We THINK they'll get Knight. Kanter MAY be eligible (although, as I noted, that's looking more and more iffy).

He isnt forcing Patterson out because of lack of scholarships...But because he cannot afford to pay Knight's salary with Patterson still on the payroll. As for Kenter, that may be true. But with those 5 now gone and as you say, only one sure recruit coming in, he now stands to make double that playing for Kentucky. He'll play.

The Heels lose Ed Davis to the NBA and 'Cuse loses Wesley Johnson.

Tough break for UNC [or is it?] Very much expected in regard to Wes. Great couple months he gave us during the season. Wish him nothing but the best in the NBA.

Kris Joseph better be practicing his three pointers as we speak.

Tough break for UNC [or is it?] Very much expected in regard to Wes. Great couple months he gave us during the season. Wish him nothing but the best in the NBA.

Agreed. Kris Joseph, if he gets a perimeter shot, has the potential to be even better than Wes was this year. He can already put it on the floor and he's just about as athletic as Wes. I expect big things from him next season.

I'm also really excited to see how the Fab Melo vs. DaShonte Riley competition plays out for starting Center, how the guard situation plays out with Scoop, Triche, and Dion Waiters, and who gets the 7th man spot between James Southerland, CJ Fair, and Mookie Jones. This is a very important offseason for all these players. This team, IMO, has the potential to be even better than last years.

Agreed. Kris Joseph, if he gets a perimeter shot, has the potential to be even better than Wes was this year. He can already put it on the floor and he's just about as athletic as Wes. I expect big things from him next season.

I'm also really excited to see how the Fab Melo vs. DaShonte Riley competition plays out for starting Center, how the guard situation plays out with Scoop, Triche, and Dion Waiters, and who gets the 7th man spot between James Southerland, CJ Fair, and Mookie Jones. This is a very important offseason for all these players. This team, IMO, has the potential to be even better than last years.

I think Triche will be the odd-man out in the guard rotation.

Starting five:

Joseph

Jackson

Melo [or Dash, don't know yet]

Scoop

Waiters

I think Triche will be the odd-man out in the guard rotation.

Starting five:

Joseph

Jackson

Melo [or Dash, don't know yet]

Scoop

Waiters

I think that would be best as well, as Triche could come off the bench at either Guard spot. I think the 7th man spot is wide open between Southerland, Jones, and Fair. Guess we won't know that one till the start of next season.

I think that would be best as well, as Triche could come off the bench at either Guard spot. I think the 7th man spot is wide open between Southerland, Jones, and Fair. Guess we won't know that one till the start of next season.

Agreed. This team easily has the talent to make it to a third straight Sweet Sixteen. If only they could go ****ing farther. :Nuts:

I think the Heels will be fine, I think life would have been easier had he come back but the heels have enough frontcourt depth to withstand this loss.

Gilchrist was down to Villanova and UK, but he has his sights on the NBA and Coach Cal is the facilitator for one-and-done hopefuls.

Tony Wroten (a top 2011 PG) will probably commit to UK next year unless Marques Teague commits first. Wroten is also considering Nova, UConn, Syracuse and (much less-seriously) Washington.

If I were Jay Wright, I'd concentrate my energy on Quinn Cook, who is rated only slightly below Wroten. Nova will need a PG to provide depth and eventually take over after Fisher graduates (unless they get a late surprise-commit from Cory Joseph this weekend), and Cook is a guy who would fill that role well.

Obviously though, Wroten would fill it better though.

Gilchrist was down to Villanova and UK, but he has his sights on the NBA and Coach Cal is the facilitator for one-and-done hopefuls.

Tony Wroten (a top 2011 PG) will probably commit to UK next year unless Marques Teague commits first. Wroten is also considering Nova, UConn, Syracuse and (much less-seriously) Washington.

If I were Jay Wright, I'd concentrate my energy on Quinn Cook, who is rated only slightly below Wroten. Nova will need a PG to provide depth and eventually take over after Fisher graduates (unless they get a late surprise-commit from Cory Joseph this weekend), and Cook is a guy who would fill that role well.

Obviously though, Wroten would fill it better though.

I don't even think Wroten should be considering Syracuse or vise versa. SU has a lot of guards coming in the next couple of years.

• 2 months later...

Alot has happened w/ the Heels since I last posted. davis is gone, the wear twins transferred, Justin Knox signed on as a transfer eligible to play this year and top 5 recruit of '11 James McAdoo is mulling whether to go to carolina a year early though the latest news is that he will not.

Alot has happened w/ the Heels since I last posted. davis is gone, the wear twins transferred, Justin Knox signed on as a transfer eligible to play this year and top 5 recruit of '11 James McAdoo is mulling whether to go to carolina a year early though the latest news is that he will not.

with mcadoo i would have felt more comfortable as far as depth etc..

without we will have to hope we have zero injuries down low..

i am glad wears are gone..2 schollys for basically 1 position on floor..

many schools didnt recruit them cause they were a package and some schools didnt want to use 2 schollys for them..

I don't even think Wroten should be considering Syracuse or vise versa. SU has a lot of guards coming in the next couple of years.

He took Syracuse off of his list. He said that he would have committed there had Boeheim been actively recruiting him.

His clear leader is still UK, but he said that Villanova and Washington are recruiting him the hardest. St. Johns rounds out his top-5 after Lavin gave him a call this week.

Now, lets talk about this kid from UNC-Wilmington? John Fields. I heard that UNC was going to make a push for him. He graduated in May, but has a year of eligibility left (and therefore won't have to sit out). ESPN's college bball rumors blog suggested that Villanova might be a player now as well, after Taylor King withdrew from the program.

Archived