damian williams usc wr

bitonti

he runs routes like a champ, he was a star at USC pro day

he's worked 3 years with our QB already

and the Pats really want him

Damian Williams, WR, USC damian-williams-usc.jpg

Damian Williams seems to be a great fit for the Patriots...and they have been pursuing him more heavily than any other player in the draft class. // Image courtesy of trojanempire.wordpress.com.

Who is the most infuriating wide receiver in the NFL to defend? Some may say Randy Moss because of his athletic prowess. Others may point to Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall or Larry Fitzgerald. Teams that do not know the concept of playing a deep safety would probably say Vincent Jackson. However, for my money, it’s Colts catchman Reggie Wayne. He is just so consistent. Every single time the ball is thrown his way, he makes a play. Sure, he has one of the best quarterbacks of all time (not THE BEST, one of the best) pitching him the pigskin every play, but he has still shown a propensity to make big plays and be a reliable number one option. He was targeted seventh most in the NFL last year (Manning threw it his way 146 times) and only dropped three balls, which is pretty darn impressive. He also averaged 13 yards per catch and had ten touchdowns. He was, by my wide receiver metric, the fifth best wide receiver in football last year and that was with a former sixth round pick and Austin Collie getting the snaps alongside him. He should be even better this year now that they have garnered some respect.

So, why do I mention Wayne? I do this because Damian Williams is a carbon copy, and the Patriots have been pursuing him like a bloodhound on a scent for months.

Williams would be a perfect fit in the Patriots’ offense. He would serve as a first-down grabbing possession component to Randy Moss and would force safeties to play a little farther up, opening the playbook for deep passes and short screens alike. His presence would assure that, at any given time, Brady would have three solid options to throw the ball to (four once Welker gets back, five if Tate is completely healed.) Williams may be the key to reenergizing the Patriots offense which, at times, looked complacent last season.

The Patriots have been doggedly pursuing Williams. They interviewed him privately at the NFL Combine, attended the USC Pro Day to watch him workout again, brought him in to Foxboro and even made a miscellaneous visit besides all the on-record meetings. They seem to like him, and he fits the Patriots mold; a guy with great hands and route-running ability who can also create a little bit after the catch.

If Williams is around in the early second, I expect the Patriots to jump on him. If he is taken by another team before the Patriots can pounce, I think Mardy Gilyard could be another option at the receiver position. Still, I think Williams is the number one choice in Foxboro, and the whole situation smells like the Butler love from last draft rather than an elaborate smokescreen.

http://news.wbru.com/2010/04/target-practice-the-top-five-most-likely-patriots-draftees/

it might seem like a reach but i'd have no problems with DW at 29. he's pro ready.

Good post, but no I dont think williams would be a reach considering the fact that we could use another wide receiver to help Sanchez. And yes, the chemistry is an important thing there which makes it a bonus if we draft him. Id rather get someone who can be a wideout then a slot guy. It provides more value. But, what I dont understand is why Golden Tate cant be a wideout in the nfl. He is taller and weighs more than both steve smith (panthers) and desean jackson (eagles).

If we trade out of the first round and into the early second, I'd take him. I think we could trade up or down at this point.

i agree the Jets could trade down, especially if someone wants to make a move for tebow or colt mccoy... but if they can't get that done we have to be realistic, 29 is basically a 2nd round pick. they aren't picking at 6 this year it's gonna be no man's land at 29. might as well take a guy who can start, help out at a position of need (even punt return) and oh yeah was also Mark Sanchez' #1 WR in college for 3 years.

another fun fact about damian williams he was 1st team all SEC at Arkansas, transferred to USC and made first team all-pac 10. that's the type of resume that Tanny goes nuts for. ..

i agree the Jets could trade down, especially if someone wants to make a move for tebow or colt mccoy... but if they can't get that done we have to be realistic, 29 is basically a 2nd round pick. they aren't picking at 6 this year it's gonna be no man's land at 29. might as well take a guy who can start, help out at a position of need (even punt return) and oh yeah was also Mark Sanchez' #1 WR in college for 3 years.

another fun fact about damian williams he was 1st team all SEC at Arkansas, transferred to USC and made first team all-pac 10. that's the type of resume that Tanny goes nuts for. ..

That's why I think we will trade down. someone will want one of the qb's still left. but everything else makes me think we are going to trade up because that's been the jets mo the past couple of drafts. If someone that drops is close to us we will trade up, if not i think we trade down.

Golden Tate will be the best WR to come out of this draft. Book it.

Hmm. I love Tate but Dez Bryant is phenomenal. Tate is going to be the most explosive and best playmaking receiver in the draft (desean jackson type player) But, Bryant is the more reliable wideout (brandon marshall type).

Golden Tate will be the best WR to come out of this draft. Book it.

Dez Bryant >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any other WR in this draft.

he runs routes like a champ, he was a star at USC pro day

he's worked 3 years with our QB already

and the Pats really want him

it might seem like a reach but i'd have no problems with DW at 29. he's pro ready.

Ray Lucas was very high on him too last night on JETS NATION on SNY.

Wait...why is the Pats wanting him significant? The Pats never draft all the guys rumored to them pre-draft anyway...but even then, what's the significance?

the Pats have a strong scouting department, especially in the 2nd round area. If they love Williams, like they loved Darius Butler, the Jets drafting Williams would prevent them from getting a starter and would strengthen the Jets offense. it's a win win. 29 is basically a 2nd round pick.

The more I think about Williams and look into his skills, the better I like him. He strikes me as the type of guy that plays 10 years in the league and is a solid 1A type receiver. Kind of a slightly bigger and quicker version of Jerricho Cotchery. He has a lower bust potential than a lot of the other receivers being mentioned at that pick. I like Golden Tate better, but the rest of the 6' 2" + crowd is being hyped on their physical ability and not their production. I could live with Damian Williams at 29.

FWIW, I post on a Rams board sometimes and those guys all keep having the Jets pick Williams. It's like a foregone conclusion over there.

the Pats have a strong scouting department, especially in the 2nd round area. If they love Williams, like they loved Darius Butler, the Jets drafting Williams would prevent them from getting a starter and would strengthen the Jets offense. it's a win win. 29 is basically a 2nd round pick.

They concentrate on a certain round? ;)

FWIW, I post on a Rams board sometimes and those guys all keep having the Jets pick Williams. It's like a foregone conclusion over there.

They concentrate on a certain round? ;)

At least this year they will. Rats have three 2nd's

Archived