Mafia Game Thread--The Thing

SMC

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vote Slats... you're making quite the effort to combat the notion that a non-active Slats early on usually = a guilty Slats.

I've been guilty every game it seems, until this one. Don't let last game cloud your judgement, doc.

I feel okay about Slats for now. Last game, he seemed really burnt out from being scum all the time. So I'm hoping that his increased activity means he's happy to be solving a puzzle again.

Dan X understands me, I'm feeling liberated! I took my time signing up for this one, and would've happily given this spot to the newbies, because it gets taxing being scum all the time. I'm hoping to enjoy this until Pac screws up and really pushes my lynch! Or, my luck, scum'll take me out the first night.

I'm also not nearly as busy as I was the week the last game started. And there's a lot more to go on in the opening scene in this game. It's easy to be busy early in this one.

I've been guilty every game it seems, until this one. Don't let last game cloud your judgement, doc.

Dan X understands me, I'm feeling liberated! I took my time signing up for this one, and would've happily given this spot to the newbies, because it gets taxing being scum all the time. I'm hoping to enjoy this until Pac screws up and really pushes my lynch! Or, my luck, scum'll take me out the first night.

I'm also not nearly as busy as I was the week the last game started. And there's a lot more to go on in the opening scene in this game. It's easy to be busy early in this one.

Yes, Obi Wan ;). As for the discussion on what the intro means, both town and scum do it every game -- especially in one not-so-vanilla, as in this case. It's really just about all there is to talk about at the very beginning, aside from our usual jokes. I also agree that this game is most likely a very difficult setup, considering who all is playing. All returners, and I believe aside from I28 we're looking at everyone who played at LEAST all of last year. Lots of experience...meaning this should A) be a very good game, and B) be a very confusing game, at times.

Not much to go on here...

I could go with Crusher, as he seems to be at the nexus of all the nonsense talk. Is he genuinely fooling around, or is there more to it? Not sure yet.

I could go with Slats, as he feels overly compelled to prove why his sudden activity is easily explained by his innocence. Pac will probably continue to push the issue here... which will get us more exposure to his case.

So, I'm going with...

VOTE: CRUSHER

I think I need to see where this goes.

I like the setup talk as well.. The movie really is a perfect fit for mafia and I'm definitly thinking that conversions will play a huge role in this game. The scum must be licking their chops lol..

Jif shutting down the setup talk isn't bothering me cause he went after the guy i was looking at. I wish he just let it sit a bit before calling attention to it. The crusher post was a strange one indeed, although since I did play in the game crusher referenced, and am actually able to articulate a thought that doesn't involve food, I think crusher was alluding to the fact that the cult was able to grow uncontrollably, but that each member had some kind post restriction that allowed the town to figure them out and either lynch or unconvert.

Potentialy post restrictions is definitly something to watch for..

I like the setup talk as well.. The movie really is a perfect fit for mafia and I'm definitly thinking that conversions will play a huge role in this game. The scum must be licking their chops lol..

Jif shutting down the setup talk isn't bothering me cause he went after the guy i was looking at. I wish he just let it sit a bit before calling attention to it. The crusher post was a strange one indeed, although since I did play in the game crusher referenced, and am actually able to articulate a thought that doesn't involve food, I think crusher was alluding to the fact that the cult was able to grow uncontrollably, but that each member had some kind post restriction that allowed the town to figure them out and either lynch or unconvert.

Post restrictions... and what about on-topic posts? Very few of the posts so far have been about the game...

What happened to BESTIES BEFORE TESTES. Why are you trying to pawn me off on Pac.

Please don't bash Star Trek figurines. It hurts the feelings of my Star Trek teddy bears. (No joke, they are awesome.)

FOS - I never bashed them. Just said I did not want...

Based on what little has happened so far, I will vote: Jif. I found the discussion on game setups helpful for getting a bunch of ideas out there. Maybe he's trying to stop us townies from brainstorming together.

I feel okay about Slats for now. Last game, he seemed really burnt out from being scum all the time. So I'm hoping that his increased activity means he's happy to be solving a puzzle again.

FOS II - Two things bother me about this post...1) I never said I didnt like it, I said it was scummy and read it as posturing...which it very well could be...and very similar to what I saw as a mod. As a townie, I'm not concerned about the set up. I'm scum hunting 2) I think Slats overt attempt to scream innocent is concerning and for some reason you go out of your way to make sure everyone knows you are o.k. w/ him.

FOS - I dont buy it at all. You are tyring to hard.

Not much to go on here...

I could go with Crusher, as he seems to be at the nexus of all the nonsense talk. Is he genuinely fooling around, or is there more to it? Not sure yet.

I could go with Slats, as he feels overly compelled to prove why his sudden activity is easily explained by his innocence. Pac will probably continue to push the issue here... which will get us more exposure to his case.

So, I'm going with...

VOTE: CRUSHER

I think I need to see where this goes.

FOS - Bandwagoning. However, like I said above this attitude by slats is concerning which might make me think you are try to keep your distance as a first time scumbag.

FTR, I never said to stop dissecting the game. I said its solid conversation. All I was doing was pointing out how quickly the mafia can lead you on a wild goose chase by trying to be part of the solution creating set ups that ultimately lead town folk in the wrong direction.

Set ups are all well and good, and definitely worthy of conversation, but they do little to help hunt scum. Which is what I do best.

Unvote Crusher - I dont like the how many people are on his train.

Not exactly CTM. My point was SMC talks about assimilate in the setup and obviously tis game will have a from of conversion. The game I referenced alot of us played and I was wondering if SMC was in that game and may have borrowed some of that games twist. I too think that game meachics talk this early could help the town get it's bearings early on. Later in the game not so much because its a good way for scum to get the town off purpose and get them off the hunt.

Now I have three people on me and two of them make day 1 sense, but for one of them it's really odd.

JiF's vote is a typical day one joke vote. He is jealous of my moonlighting at another site and hates it when I talk about his shark tooth sexy surfer boy necklace. Yet I was excited about my initilas tattooed on his azz. So no worres their.

The third vote came from Inegriity. He's not sure if my joking around is normal or Im hiding something. Safe to say Crusher likes to yuck it up day one. Maybe scum trying to get on my wagon early but I get more of a "I'll just pick one townie" vibe. Hard to say.

Slats number two vote on me is the one hat really stands out. Reason being Slats is one of the very intelectual players and his vote on me is really strange. Yet he just throws a vote on me because JiF kows me so well. A lazy approach for a pretty astute calculating guy. Almost like he's trying to do something but not wanting to really live up to it.

Then this post is really odd to me. So because your usually scum your not scum this time? Then the talk about how taxing it is to be scum, dude , most players seem to enjoy that part of them game more. Just last game people talked about how they would stay on rather than drop out if they where scum rather than vanilla tow.

So by no means an OMGUS vote but I'll vote: slats

Odd play for him. Now maybe Im just use to Slats toiling away as scum and wouldn't know it at all if he is town. but until something better comes up for day one this is good for me.

Unvote Crusher - I dont like the how many people are on his train.

Seeing I-28's vote reading down, I planned to unvote, too. Now I see you unvote, and Crusher not OMGUS voting on me, I guess. Whatever.

But I'll just do what I was gonna do anyway and

unvote: Crusher

I'm super-innocent and working the midnight shift. I'll be browsing the thread tonight, and sleeping tomorrow while the rest of you work.

Unvote

Vote: Crusher

No one knows Crusher as well as JiF. He's either onto something or up to something. Certainly willing to vote along and see which one it is.

Seeing I-28's vote reading down, I planned to unvote, too. Now I see you unvote, and Crusher not OMGUS voting on me, I guess. Whatever.

But I'll just do what I was gonna do anyway and

unvote: Crusher

I'm super-innocent and working the midnight shift. I'll be browsing the thread tonight, and sleeping tomorrow while the rest of you work.

It's not an OMGUS vote. I don;t think you suck, I actually think your a great player. But I find your play so far this game kinda odd. That might be a good thing because you are usually scum. Let's play it and find out.

don't like fatnip and his fat satellite back to back finger pointing at Slats..

He seems innocent to me this far...

I'm going to unvote vote Crusher on a hunch

It's not finger pointing, I find his play odd. He would have got my vote no matter who his vote was on for the same logic.

It's not an OMGUS vote. I don;t think you suck, I actually think your a great player. But I find your play so far this game kinda odd. That might be a good thing because you are usually scum. Let's play it and find out.

That's what I said, that it was a not OMGUS vote. I got it.

But yeah, let's play! I'm here 'til 7am. Although I'm hoping things slow down and I get paid to sleep a little bit tonight.

FOS - Bandwagoning. However, like I said above this attitude by slats is concerning which might make me think you are try to keep your distance as a first time scumbag.

I am not avoiding the slats situation, but he already has enough people bringing heat at him where I expect to gain insight into his role in this game based on his responses to you and others. My vote wasn't need yet to get more insight into his case... or his defense.

I absolutely voted Crusher as a bandwagon... as I saw in my first game, on day one we didn't start learning anything about anyone until there were competing trains. I knew my vote for Crusher legitimize his train and we'd start seeing some real responses.

I got what I was looking for... the votes on Crusher were more shenanigans than legit, as far as I can tell right now.

Unvote: Crusher

Here's my read. Crusher is playing the same way he usually plays. Exact same as last game, actually -- very jovial and playful early on. Nothing sticks out to me, yet the exact same thing brought him attention last game...when he was roleless townie (and he was NK night 1, I believe)

Slats, I felt like is smart enough to switch his play up regardless this game. Statistically speaking on a large scale basis, you could say it's not as likely he'd keep being scum...but he's just as likely as anyone else this game. Still, I haven't seen anything particularly scummy thus far.

Honestly, even my vote is a joke vote. I'll go ahead and unvote. Nothing sticks out right now, but that's usual for day one. Usually what you think sticks out is a townie trying to switch up his/her play or be funny. Or just being lazy.

I am not avoiding the slats situation, but he already has enough people bringing heat at him where I expect to gain insight into his role in this game based on his responses to you and others. My vote wasn't need yet to get more insight into his case... or his defense.

I absolutely voted Crusher as a bandwagon... as I saw in my first game, on day one we didn't start learning anything about anyone until there were competing trains. I knew my vote for Crusher legitimize his train and we'd start seeing some real responses.

I got what I was looking for... the votes on Crusher were more shenanigans than legit, as far as I can tell right now.

Unvote: Crusher

Thats a quick backdown.. way to quick..

unvote

vote I28

Wow, LOTS of Crusher/slats talk and voting/unvoting. Not sure what to make of it yet, but it definitely sticks out as odd.

I think some of this is being overblown a little bit so far, its day one. Granted, a few people seem to be taking things seriously and getting defensive over early day one voting, but things are always weird day one with little to go on. Some of JiF's comments seemed a little odd to me at first, but reading on I realized that clearly his experience modding is having an impact on his viewpoints in this game. He made no secret of the fact that he thought I was taken for the ride the last game and clearly blames that, at least in part, on the game mechanics analysis. So I actually kind of get it. Its part of the reason I tried not to get into it too much aside from chiming in once or twice to just state things that I believed were being incorrectly analyzed (e.g., only one Thing).

Other than that the JiF/Crusher interaction seemed odd, but it always is with those two and I generally just try to ignore it and wait until it finally just runs its course and go away. I mean, does anyone actually still find this shtick entertaining? :P

Was slats' vote jumping in on that weird? Sure, but its day one, big whoop. My vote is currently on CTM because he beat me the last game, and other reasons people have for votes so far get weirder from there. More than anything, I think the biggest problem with a small group bickering on day one is that focus turns to those guys when more often than not, the mafia tries to avoid getting tangled in that mess in hopes that a lynch or two on the first few days gets wasted on that. Just look at last game where we had 3 lynch targets on day 1 (myself, Kleck and Irish), all 3 were townies and 2 were lynched on days one and two.

Thats a quick backdown.. way to quick..

unvote

vote I28

I'm not backing down... because I had no case against Crusher of my own... I simply wanted to weigh some of the reactions my vote got.

At this point, Slats and Jif are far more FOS to me than Crusher.

I think some of this is being overblown a little bit so far, its day one. Granted, a few people seem to be taking things seriously and getting defensive over early day one voting, but things are always weird day one with little to go on. Some of JiF's comments seemed a little odd to me at first, but reading on I realized that clearly his experience modding is having an impact on his viewpoints in this game. He made no secret of the fact that he thought I was taken for the ride the last game and clearly blames that, at least in part, on the game mechanics analysis. So I actually kind of get it. Its part of the reason I tried not to get into it too much aside from chiming in once or twice to just state things that I believed were being incorrectly analyzed (e.g., only one Thing).

Other than that the JiF/Crusher interaction seemed odd, but it always is with those two and I generally just try to ignore it and wait until it finally just runs its course and go away. I mean, does anyone actually still find this shtick entertaining? :P

Was slats' vote jumping in on that weird? Sure, but its day one, big whoop. My vote is currently on CTM because he beat me the last game, and other reasons people have for votes so far get weirder from there. More than anything, I think the biggest problem with a small group bickering on day one is that focus turns to those guys when more often than not, the mafia tries to avoid getting tangled in that mess in hopes that a lynch or two on the first few days gets wasted on that. Just look at last game where we had 3 lynch targets on day 1 (myself, Kleck and Irish), all 3 were townies and 2 were lynched on days one and two.

I wasn't actually referring to either of them -- but more the quick jumps on and off their trains, and reading into the Crusher/slats stuff (which I agree, is mostly day 1 banter)

Have Pac and Sharrow posted more than once each since the game officially started... how were you guys seeing who posted the most in the last game?

Go back to the Lounge page and where you see this thread listed, go over and click on the link that is the number in the "replies" column. It will give you total post count by poster in the thread.

Have Pac and Sharrow posted more than once each since the game officially started... how were you guys seeing who posted the most in the last game?

Vicious89x 21

CTM 20

The Crusher 14

AVM 13

SMC 10

Integrity28 9

Bleedin' Green 8

slats 8

Jets Voice of Reason 7

JiF 6

Dan X 6

Pac2566 4

Sharrow 2

And here's how. Go to search, type in mafia. Click on the number of replies, and it'll come up in a new window. You can copy/paste from there.

Go back to the Lounge page and where you see this thread listed, go over and click on the link that is the number in the "replies" column. It will give you total post count by poster in the thread.

Or this. I do things the difficult way :D

Pac's got four posts in the thread. His quietness is odd. He usually plays a more balls to the wall style. Sharrow does the shadows well, so that's not so unusual.

Muffin top and I are like the Abbot and Costello of the Interwebz. You know it and love it. Dont lie.

I think your vote on CTM has merit. I too am pissed that he won last game because as you all know ih8 him and it was my first time mod'ing.

My perspective has changed being a mod, for sure. And I do like the last part of this post referring to the mafia not wanting to get tangled up in the playful bickering that turns ugly. Great move to sit back and let it happen. I watched it take place from behind the scenes. Definitely something to look at...

Damn last games beaten has turned you into the grinch. I will try and tone down my affection for Sweet Boopsie. Last thing I would want on my concious is you getting super upset moving to a mountain hide away with your dog and only coming to JN once a year at Christmas and even then try and ruin it for everybody. no way I would do that, no way.

Mmmm... thanks... Pac's lack of madness is surprising... considering his play in the previous game, and even the amount of posts he made after he was lynched.

Let's see if my stinky finger of superstition elicits any feedback from Pete.

Vote: Pac

A little heat on Pac, might help determine if there are post limits or not... as was suggested earlier.

Vicious89x 21

CTM 20

The Crusher 14

AVM 13

SMC 10

Integrity28 9

Bleedin' Green 8

slats 8

Jets Voice of Reason 7

JiF 6

Dan X 6

Pac2566 4

Sharrow 2

And here's how. Go to search, type in mafia. Click on the number of replies, and it'll come up in a new window. You can copy/paste from there.

Pacs quietness is pretty odd. That's JMO. Normally he pushes the action

Vote: Pac

2) I think Slats overt attempt to scream innocent is concerning and for some reason you go out of your way to make sure everyone knows you are o.k. w/ him.

I only spoke up because Slats and I have a very similar way of thinking about the game. When we played with alts, Slats and JVoR were the only guys I could pick out right away. We both prefer being town, and in our early games, people kept confusing which one of us said what.

Even last year when Crusher, CTM, and I were scum with Slats, he said he was tired of being scum. So in my opinion, a more enthusiastic change in his playing style is a good sign.

Check out those exclamation points. :P This seems like either a happier Slats or a much, much more conniving one. Of course it could just be that the game setup itself is intriguing, so he's excited about that. Just giving my first impressions.

Pac's got four posts in the thread. His quietness is odd. He usually plays a more balls to the wall style. Sharrow does the shadows well, so that's not so unusual.

Yeah, Sharrow is always a lurk in the dark kind of player. It's my usual play, especially on day one, to go after the quiet ones...so I have no problem going in this direction to a certain extent.

I'll actually go opposite of you though...Sharrows really good, and really dangerous as scum. If he's townie, I wanna get his thoughts. Either way, I definitely wanna hear from him.

Vote: Sharrow

I only spoke up because Slats and I have a very similar way of thinking about the game. When we played with alts, Slats and JVoR were the only guys I could pick out right away. We both prefer being town, and in our early games, people kept confusing which one of us said what.

This is funny, because early in the last game AVM was asking when I was going to make one of those list/breakdown posts of yours. :P

Figures I get confused with the fake man. I should have my testosterone checked.

Yeah, Sharrow is always a lurk in the dark kind of player. It's my usual play, especially on day one, to go after the quiet ones...so I have no problem going in this direction to a certain extent.

I'll actually go opposite of you though...Sharrows really good, and really dangerous as scum. If he's townie, I wanna get his thoughts. Either way, I definitely wanna hear from him.

Vote: Sharrow

This is exactly why I voted Pac, gotta elicit some sort of reaction... I am intrigued by the possibility that there are post limits. I think that is something we should try to identify early if possible.

Archived