Official JN Schottenheimer Discussion Thread

Irish Jet

?

Is this your first day posting here? Of course it will be.

Only by circumstance. Hey this is all hypothetical, so if he lined up that way it would be stupid. If he was that stupid and a 45 yard pass was completed it would be a good thing despite the stupidity. If it was fumbled and returned back for 6, it would be on him for making the call, but clearly the fumbler in that situation would be a co-culpret. Hey he could call a hand off and have a fumble go back for 6 too.

Oh and yeah it's my first day posting in quite some time...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now lets at least agree that the QB is a huge factor in running an Offense. 06 QB competition, Chad with practically no velocity and no ability to throw outside the hash marks along with a pedestrain running game leads the Jets to the playoffs with a very creative O. 07 QB comp which was designed to eliminate Chad wins Chad the job along with an off season that put together maybe the single worst OL in football. The Jets of course suck.

Your giving Shotty credit for succeeding with a weak armed Chad. But later on you blame things on Brett's arm going weak. And Chad had the same arm when he took the Fins to the playoffs and making the playoffs is one of the things you cite as a Shotty achievement. And we all know about the huge difference in INTs when Chad left the Shotty offense.

08 QB Comp, designed to give Clemens the job who proves he isn't an NFL QB. Bring in Vet with no desire to run Shotty's O after TC and half way through pre-season. Jets get to 8 & 3 until QB hurts arm and plays like crap down the stretch without Shotty's O with Bret Favre's O. Team ****s the bed completely.

That whole season I never saw the offensive scheme change. I don't think it when from being one offense to another. When Brett was asked if the offense was changing he said no and claimed Shotty was calling the same plays he always called right from the start of the season. That's what I saw, the offense never really changed as the season went on.

09 QB comp which rookie wins. Rookie QB comes out of the gate with Shotty's game plan and does great. Bring in new WR after hot rookie start and unload best player on specials and slot reciever who was getting substantial playing time. Lose key game to division rival on special teams after trade. Rookie QB with limited TC and new WR and league with tape goes into a mid season slump. O is re-set after league adjusts and rookie running back gets healthy and makes a run deep into playoffs.

Rookie QB did not have a limited TC.

The O was reset by the head coach who realized Shotty was screwing it up, not by Shotty himself. The fact that the offense got better after the head coach with no offensive coaching experience modified it shows how bad the offense was in the first place.

The rookie running back did not get less playing time early on because of injuries, it was because of coaching decisions.

Your really reaching to try and save Shotty's reputation. Fact is after all these years no one has made a serious run at him as a head coach. No one wants the guy, the rest of the league knows he's a joke.

He only got into the NFL because of daddy. Then bonehead Mangini hired him. Eventually it will become so clear that the guy is a goof that even Jet fans will admit it. I wouldn't be surprised if Shotty gets replaced during the bye week. I don't think Rex is a big Shotty fan and he was hoping Shotty would get hired away so he wouldn't have to interrupt Woody's love affair with BS.

When Tannenbaum and Shotty were in their first year on the Jets the team they took over were previously ranked 31st in O in the league and 12th on D. There was a lot less work to be done on the D and the D unlike the O doesn't need a QB to run it.

Yeah, but the year before Shotty the team was killed by injuries and over the hill Curtis Martin having the lowest ypc of his career.

Your giving Shotty credit for succeeding with a weak armed Chad. But later on you blame things on Brett's arm going weak. And Chad had the same arm when he took the Fins to the playoffs and making the playoffs is one of the things you cite as a Shotty achievement. And we all know about the huge difference in INTs when Chad left the Shotty offense.

1. Two totally different situations, and you know it. Favre injured his arm in-season after leading us to 8-3 and 25+ points a game.

2. Chad was 2-3 years removed from his injuries with the Dolphins. He was playing in warmer weather too.

That whole season I never saw the offensive scheme change. I don't think it when from being one offense to another. When Brett was asked if the offense was changing he said no and claimed Shotty was calling the same plays he always called right from the start of the season. That's what I saw, the offense never really changed as the season went on.

Why would he change the "scheme" and playcalls if they took us to 8-3 and they beat the two top teams in the league at the time?

The O was reset by the head coach who realized Shotty was screwing it up, not by Shotty himself. The fact that the offense got better after the head coach with no offensive coaching experience modified it shows how bad the offense was in the first place.

I asked this question all last year and I don't think I ever got a legit answer.

What about our scheme changed after Rex "changed" it? We still ran the ball a sh*t ton, so it wasn't that.

The rookie running back did not get less playing time early on because of injuries, it was because of coaching decisions.

Greene was never going to get a ton of carries early on last year. Also, that decision could be as much Rex as not Rex. We had an old workhorse RB and we used him like a workhorse RB.

Your really reaching to try and save Shotty's reputation. Fact is after all these years no one has made a serious run at him as a head coach. No one wants the guy, the rest of the league knows he's a joke.

Dude, he was very close to being a HC for the '07 season. Remember? The Dolphins were going to hire him. He chose to stay. Has the idea crossed that teams have asked and both he and the Jets have said no thanks?

He only got into the NFL because of daddy. Then bonehead Mangini hired him. Eventually it will become so clear that the guy is a goof that even Jet fans will admit it. I wouldn't be surprised if Shotty gets replaced during the bye week. I don't think Rex is a big Shotty fan and he was hoping Shotty would get hired away so he wouldn't have to interrupt Woody's love affair with BS.

:rolleyes:

Bill Belichick is only coaching football because of his daddy. Rex Ryan is only coaching football because of his daddy.

He's not getting replaced during the bye week. You clearly dislike the guy, but beyond that there's nothing clear in your arguments.

Yeah, but the year before Shotty the team was killed by injuries and over the hill Curtis Martin having the lowest ypc of his career.

The OL was old, the '06 starting RB was Kevin Barlow, the WRs in '06 were Coles and a first year starter Cotchery, Chris Baker was the starting TE, and a guy who never played a full season and was the first QB to ever come back from severe shoulder injuries (two of them!) was QB'ing the team.

Schottenheimer came in here to overhaul the offense, it's almost done, but NOW it's time to fire him? We just got the guy a QB who plans to be around more than a year or two, but NOW'S the time for fire him? Based on you not liking him for not calling the right plays and failing to magic a dominant O together in his first 3 years? It's nooooooooooot happening, so learn to enjoy having the guy.

I don't care about Shotty's rep. The guy is in his mid thirties took a bad Jets team to the playoffs took a decent Jets team with a rookie QB deep into the playoffs and for the first year since he was an OC will have a returning QB with sufficient talent around him pretty much set before going into TC. And yes that rookie QB will have his first TC where he gets all the reps with the first unit unless his injury isn't fully healed, something he didn't do the year before because of a QB comp when he didn't even know if he would be the starter until most of TC was over.

This year will be the first year we get a true indication of his ability. I'm not blaming him or praising him or making excuses for him. Unlike you I’m just telling it like I see it without being biased by either love or hate for him. You can't run a good O without talent and continuity and he hasn't had much of either.

Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan don't think the guy is a joke. If they did he would be gone just like Faneca and Leon and Mangini. The Jets organization clearly wants him. Tannenbaum could have easily dumped him when he unloaded Mangini and Rex could have dumped him coming in last year or after the season. The Jets are clearly not a charity organization they are making a serious run at building a SB quality team. Shotty appears to be a big part of that unless you think that he is still here because of his daddy?

• 7 months later...

Won't happen until at least the offseason. Not that I'm supporting him. Just telling you it's not going to happen. At least I hope to god he's gone.

Why can't you fire a coordinator during the season?

Parcells took the play calling duties away from Dan Henning three games into the 1998 season and gave them to Charlie Weis and the offense turned around.

"The Jets lead the league in rush plays on first down?" Really Ian Eagle? I hadn't noticed that! :rolleyes:

The problem is that it's always the same friggin'run play to boot. Schotty is a braindead moron who only has a job because of his last name.

Why can't you fire a coordinator during the season?

Parcells took the play calling duties away from Dan Henning three games into the 1998 season and gave them to Charlie Weis and the offense turned around.

"The Jets lead the league in rush plays on first down?" Really Ian Eagle? I hadn't noticed that! :rolleyes:

The problem is that it's always the same friggin'run play to boot. Schotty is a braindead moron who only has a job because of his last name.

It's not a matter of can't, it's a matter of won't. They are more than likely a playoff team. They aren't going to make any major changes at this point of the season. Again, i'm in favor of him getting fired. I just don't really think it's going to happen now.

It's not a matter of can't, it's a matter of won't. They are more than likely a playoff team. They aren't going to make any major changes at this point of the season. Again, i'm in favor of him getting fired. I just don't really think it's going to happen now.

We have run the same running play on the last 10 first downs. Somehow we manage to gain about three yards every time even though the defense knows what is coming. Can you imagine if we caught the defense off guard?

We have run the same running play on the last 10 first downs. Somehow we manage to gain about three yards every time even though the defense knows what is coming. Can you imagine if we caught the defense off guard?

Again, preaching to the choir here. I'm just as frustrated as you are with his buffoonery. It's just stupid play-calling. I just don't believe they're going to make the change at any point this season.

Again, preaching to the choir here. I'm just as frustrated as you are with his buffoonery. It's just stupid play-calling. I just don't believe they're going to make the change at any point this season.

The only question that needs to answered is what do we gain by not firing him? If the answer is "nothing" then I don't see why he's allowed to continue ******* this team up so bad.

Our defense just played a great game and we had no chance of winning because our offense was non-existent.

I am dead serious when I say the Jets would be better off firing this fool and replacing him with Rich Kotite right now because when Kotite was our OC we had an offense capable of putting up 50 points on any given Sunday despite having less talent than the current Jets.

Not counting the last drive, we ran up the middle on all 1st downs but 3.

I'm pretty sure the defense is close to giving up. The offense plays like it has given up, hell, maybe it already did.

Rex is dangerously close to losing this team. If you fire Schotty that at least shows you admit there was a major problem with the coaching and changes needed to be made. If you don't do that, I don't see how you have any benefit of the doubt.

The only question that needs to answered is what do we gain by not firing him? If the answer is "nothing" then I don't see why he's allowed to continue ******* this team up so bad.

Our defense just played a great game and we had no chance of winning because our offense was non-existent.

I am dead serious when I say the Jets would be better off firing this fool and replacing him with Rich Kotite right now because when Kotite was our OC we had an offense capable of putting up 50 points on any given Sunday despite having less talent than the current Jets.

Honestly, I really hope you're right and i'm wrong. For me this is like the old Pennington debates. We kept trotting him out there week after week even though most fans could clearly see the guy was just hurting the team. I really won't believe this team will correct the cancer until it's finally gone.

Archived