Wait, so is Cotchery or Holmes our slot receiver now?

Mr.Revis

Who will be starting on the opposite of edwards and who will be the slot? I think Holmes is way too good to only be used as a slot. So does this mean Cotchery slides to the slot?

where he belongs imo.. he'll be a white wes welker in that spot..

Or maybe we can stick Holmes in the 1 spot and butterfingers in the slot.

I would be open to this. Think Holmes should be starting. Cotchery complements the other two better than they complement each other, but after the first 4 games and a couple games of maybe easing Santonio in just go with the hot hand along side Holmes. Probably will be a ton of 3 WR sets anyway though so it may not matter all that much.

Cotchery has some of the surest hands in all the NFL. I don't like the idea of taking him off the field when you have a sophomore QB that is still developing. Good problem to have, though.

I guess they can rotate, and that will keep everyone fresh. After Edwards burns a DB on a play then you put Holmes in that spot and he has all his energy and so on and so on.

Sanchez throws a heck of a deep ball, we saw it a few times last season where he just nails the guy in stride.

Have Braylon and Santo on the outside, they'll give him that outlet pretty often with teams needing to have those guys covered. If they move the coverage there, who better to destroy a team underneath than Cotch. He's Mr. Reliable and absolutely brilliant at running with the ball in his hands. This offense is going to cause some serious matchup problems. I can see teams taking a few more risks with Edwards, he's always liable for a **** up, if he gets his **** together he could have a career year. Any of our WR's can, it's scary that we then back all this up with the #1 rushing game in the league. Defense aint bad either.

In terms of who is standing at what position on the field when they're out there at a given time, I highly doubt that is going to be in any way static. You'll see a lot of moving around for all three guys, and they will surely even rotate around in 2 WR sets. That said, if you're talking in terms of the depth chart, I would bet money that Cotchery and Edwards are starters, at least early in the season until Holmes clearly outplays one of those two. Consider Cotchery has been the Jets best WR for a few years running now, knows this offense better than any receiver on our team and has the longest relationship paying with Sanchez. Edwards is extremely talented, has most of last year plus the playoffs of experience with the team and Sanchez and will now have a full offseason with the team. Meanwhile, even though Holmes is joining the team fairly early in the offseason, it will be his first year with the team and he'll be walking into the season with a 4 game suspension. Holmes will have a lot of ground to make up and with Rex Ryan as our head coach, he'll have to earn his playing time and eventually into the starting lineup.

In terms of who is standing at what position on the field when they're out there at a given time, I highly doubt that is going to be in any way static. You'll see a lot of moving around for all three guys, and they will surely even rotate around in 2 WR sets. That said, if you're talking in terms of the depth chart, I would bet money that Cotchery and Edwards are starters, at least early in the season until Holmes clearly outplays one of those two. Consider Cotchery has been the Jets best WR for a few years running now, knows this offense better than any receiver on our team and has the longest relationship paying with Sanchez. Edwards is extremely talented, has most of last year plus the playoffs of experience with the team and Sanchez and will now have a full offseason with the team. Meanwhile, even though Holmes is joining the team fairly early in the offseason, it will be his first year with the team and he'll be walking into the season with a 4 game suspension. Holmes will have a lot of ground to make up and with Rex Ryan as our head coach, he'll have to earn his playing time and eventually into the starting lineup.

:yeahthat:

Cotchery would be great in the slot. but then again to good to be a back-up. but like someone said this is a good problem to have. sign butter fingers coles for 1.5 as a back up plan and cut the Clown, think we will be looking good at WR

Exactly.

Plus, there's no way in hell a healthy Cotchery is off the field in a 2 WR set. Either Edwards or Holmes would be on the sidelines in that situation. Cotchery will be out there for sure.

Sanchez throws a heck of a deep ball, we saw it a few times last season where he just nails the guy in stride.

Have Braylon and Santo on the outside, they'll give him that outlet pretty often with teams needing to have those guys covered. If they move the coverage there, who better to destroy a team underneath than Cotch. He's Mr. Reliable and absolutely brilliant at running with the ball in his hands. This offense is going to cause some serious matchup problems. I can see teams taking a few more risks with Edwards, he's always liable for a **** up, if he gets his **** together he could have a career year. Any of our WR's can, it's scary that we then back all this up with the #1 rushing game in the league. Defense aint bad either.

Couldn

I see Edwards and Holmes on the outsides, with a lot of single-coverage for Edwards.

I see Cotchery (who has looked slow 2 years straight now) and Keller working underneath routes out of the slot, and TE position respectively.

We've got some no ****ing joke weapons right now.

Cotch did catch a long ball last year, but it took an absolutely perfect pass by Sanchez to drop it just over the outstretched hand of the cornerback to get it done.

Neither Edwards nor Holmes will need such perfect help from Sanchez when going long, at least not all the time. So expect them to be on the outside with Cotch usually in the slot.

Cotchery has the best skill set for the slot out of the 3 IMO.

Easily. He's physical, shifty, and has the best hands of the three. He's also great after the catch.

That, and -no offense to Jerricho- he's the worst deep threat of the three.

It's a no brainer, but I'd hope & expect them to move all three around just to screw with defenses.

Or maybe we can stick Holmes in the 1 spot and butterfingers in the slot.

This would work if Edwards didn't completely have to re-learn his footwork for the slot position. It's not as simple as the Madden depth chart makes it look.

Cotchery would be great in the slot. but then again to good to be a back-up. but like someone said this is a good problem to have. sign butter fingers coles for 1.5 as a back up plan and cut the Clown, think we will be looking good at WR

Being a slot receiver doesn't automatically mean you lose your spot on the depth chart. Welker has been a starter for New England for about 3 seasons and has been their slot for the same duration. Cotch could easily move to the slot for 3-wide sets.

I doubt Cotchery is going to lose his starting spot to a guy that is suspended for the first 4 games of the season and has a ton of question marks. If anyone loses their starting spot, it's Edwards.

BTW, anyone calling Coles 'butterfingers' should watch more football and huff less paint.

Easily. He's physical, shifty, and has the best hands of the three. He's also great after the catch.

That, and -no offense to Jerricho- he's the worst deep threat of the three.

It's a no brainer, but I'd hope & expect them to move all three around just to screw with defenses.

I totally agree. :cheers:

BTW, anyone calling Coles 'butterfingers' should watch more football and huff less paint.

Oops! The poster was talking about Coles as "butterfingers", and I don't see it either. Maybe he was referring to that one terrible drop in Seattle in the Favre year, but that is one of the few I ever remember Coles dropping. He was known for making outstanding catches.

Archived