Darren Sharper: "I think they may be one FS away from a Super Bowl ring"

PS17

Who would have thought just two years ago that we would be in this position now :

Top defense in the league, which has only gotten better with the addition of FA's in our weakest positions

Arguable one of the top receiving corps in the league, after Holmes returns

A coach who is willing to accept bad character guys simply because he believes, wait, knows, that he can put them straight.

And the kicker,

that top FA's actually want to come here.

I would not have believed anything that closely resembles our team now could have been created in such a short time. You really need to hand it to not only the coaching staff, but the FO, which is finally proving its value.

Can somebody please explain to me how Darren Sharper can even end up a Jet? For one thing, we cannot sign him right now due to the Final 8 restrictions, and we just signed Brodney Poole to play Safety for us. I can't see us somehow playing 2 Safeties starting money this off-season when we only have one starting position available...

Can somebody please explain to me how Darren Sharper can even end up a Jet? For one thing, we cannot sign him right now due to the Final 8 restrictions, and we just signed Brodney Poole to play Safety for us. I can't see us somehow playing 2 Safeties starting money this off-season when we only have one starting position available...

We could sign him in july when the final 8 rules expire, freeing us to sign anyone who is left. If he wants to play for us, he could be willing to wait until then for us to be able to sign him.

And as far as Poole goes, while he is set to make 1.3 mil this year, we can't afford to pass on a guy like Sharper, the returning defensive MVP, who can do most things asked of him, if he really wants to come here.

we just signed Brodney Poole to play Safety for us. I can't see us somehow playing 2 Safeties starting money this off-season when we only have one starting position available...

considering Brodney Pool's injury history, there are many snaps still available on Rex's defense for a free safety.

It's not a matter of if he gets hurt, but when.

There is no cap. $1.3M is not starting money anymore.

We're not going to be able to sign Sharper.

2010 Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA)

Unrestricted veteran free agents are players who have completed a designated amount accrued seasons of service and whose contracts have expired. They are free to sign with any club through July 22 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later). On July 23, their exclusive rights will revert to their original club if that club made a June 1 tender to these players. Teams will have until the Tuesday after the 10th week of the season to sign their unrestricted veteran free agents to whom a tender was made on June 1. If the player does not sign by then, he must continue to sit out the remainder of the season. If a June 1 tender is not made to an unrestricted free agent, he continues to be free to sign with any club.

The tender is 110% of 2009 salary I believe.

We're not going to be able to sign Sharper.

2010 Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA)

Unrestricted veteran free agents are players who have completed a designated amount accrued seasons of service and whose contracts have expired. They are free to sign with any club through July 22 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later). On July 23, their exclusive rights will revert to their original club if that club made a June 1 tender to these players. Teams will have until the Tuesday after the 10th week of the season to sign their unrestricted veteran free agents to whom a tender was made on June 1. If the player does not sign by then, he must continue to sit out the remainder of the season. If a June 1 tender is not made to an unrestricted free agent, he continues to be free to sign with any club.

The tender is 110% of 2009 salary I believe.

None of this means anything. If Jason Taylor says he won't sign with the Jets, the Jets can use that money to sign Shaprer. If the Saints choose not to tender Sharper on June 1, the Jets can sign Sharper.

None of this means anything. If Jason Taylor says he won't sign with the Jets, the Jets can use that money to sign Shaprer. If the Saints choose not to tender Sharper on June 1, the Jets can sign Sharper.

That's a GIANT IF. They can sign Sharper even if they do sign Taylor, but it all depends on the tender. His total salary was 1.7M last year, so 1.9M tender.. sounds like a no brainer for the Saints.

That's a GIANT IF. They can sign Sharper even if they do sign Taylor, but it all depends on the tender. His total salary was 1.7M last year, so 1.9M tender.. sounds like a no brainer for the Saints.

Unless the Saints don't want him which based on their actions to date, they don't.

We could sign him in july when the final 8 rules expire, freeing us to sign anyone who is left. If he wants to play for us, he could be willing to wait until then for us to be able to sign him.

And as far as Poole goes, while he is set to make 1.3 mil this year, we can't afford to pass on a guy like Sharper, the returning defensive MVP, who can do most things asked of him, if he really wants to come here.

Rex played a lot of 3-safety sets as well.

they should figure this out before maybe drafting a safety in the first 2 rounds

That is going to be quite difficult to do since I don't believe that we will be allowed to sign him for a while, and the draft is in what 2 weeks?...Personally, I don't think we need to sign Sharper. He had a great season last year, but he is getting up in age. I would much rather draft a safety with the Rhodes pick and let him develop under Poole. As for depth at S, I would say that is a position in which were are pretty well set as is with Poole, Leonhard, E Smith, and Ihedigbo.

they should figure this out before maybe drafting a safety in the first 2 rounds

I say we draft a safety in one of the later rounds OR pick up a UDFA we like, and see if we can get Sharper in Jets green. I think we're OK with the rotation of Poole, Smith and Ihedigbo if need be so it wouldn't be a horrible thing if we missed out on Sharper AND some of the big-name safeties in this year's draft.

A pass rusher and another corner are bigger needs than FS at this point, so I think we need to address that in the 1st 2 rounds before we look at safety.

Archived