Cromartie can't escape Marshall

dolphann4life

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/12773/antonio-cromartie-cant-escape-brandon-marshall

Cromartie can't escape Marshall

April, 19, 2010 Apr 19

12:32

PM ET

Email Print Share

By Tim Graham

nfl_i_cromartie_marshall1_576.jpgIcon SMI

Antonio Cromartie and Brandon Marshall will continue to face each other at least twice a season.

Maybe Antonio Cromartie should consider filing for a restraining order.

Part of his excitement over a fresh start with the New York Jets had to be sweet relief from further Brandon Marshall torment. Cromartie, the former San Diego Chargers cornerback, left Marshall behind in the AFC West.

Marshall tracked down his rival last week, when the Denver Broncos traded the dangerous receiver to the Miami Dolphins. Cromartie's and Marshall's clubs will continue to square off at least twice a season.

While All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis likely will shoulder most responsibility for removing Marshall from the game when the Jets and Dolphins play, one of the chief reasons the Jets acquired Cromartie was to mix up their coverages so that Revis isn't always on the No. 1 receiver.

ESPN Stats & Information researcher Matt Lyon, with help from ProFootballFocus.com play-by-play data, produced some numbers that show Cromartie has had trouble containing Marshall the past two years.

The first game that comes to mind is Marshall's gaudy performance against the Chargers in Week 2 of the 2008 season. Marshall caught 18 passes for 166 yards and a touchdown.

What an awful day for Cromartie. The NFL's official game book from that sunny afternoon had Cromartie on the scene for five Marshall receptions for 80 yards and a touchdown. NFL game books, however, only note the defender who made the tackle. While that often indicates the responsible defender on a pass play, it's not always accurate.

But the game book also reminds us Cromartie committed three accepted penalties against Marshall (unnecessary roughness, facemask, defensive holding) for 22 yards. Another Cromartie defensive holding call was offset.

Cromartie has had better days against Marshall, including Week 11 last season, when Marshall didn't catch a single pass against him. Of course, Cromartie found himself against Eddie Royal much of that game.

Over the past two seasons, ProFootballFocus.com's data shows Marshall caught seven of nine passes thrown to him while Cromartie was in coverage, a remarkably high 77.8 percent for 74 yards and a touchdown and a 138.0 passer rating.

Against other Chargers defenders, Marshall caught 32-of-45 passes thrown at him, 71.1 percent, for 296 yards, one touchdown, one interception and an 86.9 passer rating.

Tags: Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Eddie Royal, Brandon Marshall, Darrelle Revis, Antonio

:Nuts:

Citing passer rating + ignoring sample space = Solid mathematical analysis.

It gets worse:

Cromartie has had better days against Marshall, including Week 11 last season, when Marshall didn't catch a single pass against him. Of course, Cromartie found himself against Eddie Royal much of that game.

I don't know what the DSM-IV would call it, but being able to determine that Cromartie wasn't covering Marshall in the past but unable to determine that he won't be covering him in the future is one hell of a developmental disability.

Marshall kind of sucked both games against SD last year. Back in 88 when Denver had a shot to make the playoffs against SD on the last day of the season Marshall cought 6 balls for 55 yards. Marshall and Cutler pretty much sealed their fate with the Broncos by talking **** after a great start and collapsing down the stretch. They also got Shanahan who was considered an Offensive genius fired.

Marshall is a very good WR but he played on a team with a shot down the stretch to make the playoffs and they s**t the bed a couple of years in a row.

Edited by Biggs

your very distraught about the Marshall acquisition...be at peace my son.
Are you kidding me? I'm happy with who we got and I don't sweat the phags.

You trolls are so insecure about your team, and it's so obvious with all the crap that you post.

your very distraught about the Marshall acquisition...be at peace my son.

I find peace in knowing that the dolphins can beat us twice in a season and yet we can still make it to the playoffs. :cheers: Sucks to be you.

Oh and that's doubtful you guys sweep us again this season, even with Marshall.. as long as Ginn isnt there.

Edited by L.S. Dylan

What it really comes down to is that one player can not make a team. Football is the most team oriented sport there is, so Marshall ain't going to do sh**. We've been making amazing acquisitions for the past 3 years(Faneca, Pace, Leonhard, Cromartie, Edwards, LT, Poole, Holmes, Woody, Jenkins, and soon to come Jason Taylor).

The fact is, is that Marshall is not going to escape Revis Island, in the rare case that he does, one of our 4 amazing safeties is going to blast him because either one of your Chads is going to leave the ball in the air for 20 minutes.

Congrats dolphins, you finally have a player you can be proud of. Too bad he comes with so much baggage he'll want to be traded once he realizes how much you guys suck!!!

What it really comes down to is that one player can not make a team. Football is the most team oriented sport there is, so Marshall ain't going to do sh**. We've been making amazing acquisitions for the past 3 years(Faneca, Pace, Leonhard, Cromartie, Edwards, LT, Poole, Holmes, Woody, Jenkins, and soon to come Jason Taylor).

The fact is, is that Marshall is not going to escape Revis Island, in the rare case that he does, one of our 4 amazing safeties is going to blast him because either one of your Chads is going to leave the ball in the air for 20 minutes.

Congrats dolphins, you finally have a player you can be proud of. Too bad he comes with so much baggage he'll want to be traded once he realizes how much you guys suck!!!

Fact is Darelle Revis plays for the jets, so Marshall has 14 other matchups, and i still feel comfortable with him going against Revis. It should be a great matchup.The four amazing safeties thing is funny and i don't think anyone is doubting Chad Henne's arm strength. The MArshall trade just made our offense better in every aspect. Should help out the run game, it gives us a guy thats capable of getting chunk yardage and i think it will even help our 2 2nd year corners that will face him everyday in practice...very, very exciting times to be a dolphins fan.

Fact is Darelle Revis plays for the jets, so Marshall has 14 other matchups, and i still feel comfortable with him going against Revis.

Why do you feel comfortable with him going against Revis? The last year and a half Revis has shut down just about every receiver he's faced.

Look, Ted Ginn made a great move when Revis was going to bump him by running laterally several steps then taking it upfield for the TD. All the credit in the world to Ginn, but it was one play and he's not on your team anymore. And nobody else has done it to Revis since. Not Randy Moss, not anybody, even though they've seen the film of the play.

Why do you think Marshall turns Revis into just another CB?

Why do you feel comfortable with him going against Revis? The last year and a half Revis has shut down just about every receiver he's faced.

Look, Ted Ginn made a great move when Revis was going to bump him by running laterally several steps then taking it upfield for the TD. All the credit in the world to Ginn, but it was one play and he's not on your team anymore. And nobody else has done it to Revis since. Not Randy Moss, not anybody, even though they've seen the film of the play.

Why do you think Marshall turns Revis into just another CB?

I think it will be a great match up, And i don't see why Brandon Marshall isn't capable of making plays on Revis ,he's done it against players such as Asomough who is of Revis's caliber. Yes Revis is currently the best corner in the league but that changes every couple of years, Bailey to Asomough to Revis and your kidding yourself if you believe Revis will never give up another big play the rest of is career. lol Last season was truly one of the best seasons produced by a corner.

Edited by dolphann4life

Okay, let's just say that Revis does indeed give up some plays the next couple of years and that a couple of them are to Marshall. That means a couple of games against the Jets Marshall makes a contribution and a couple of games against the Jets he comes up with squat. That's not enough to change the balance of power between these two teams.

Okay, let's just say that Revis does indeed give up some plays the next couple of years and that a couple of them are to Marshall. That means a couple of games against the Jets Marshall makes a contribution and a couple of games against the Jets he comes up with squat. That's not enough to change the balance of power between these two teams.

Well like i've said many times, Marshall only see's Revis twice so he'll be matched up against lesser corners in 14 other games. And i know Ted Ginn is gone, and he was the Jet killer, but we did beat you twice without Marshall.

Fact is Darelle Revis plays for the jets, so Marshall has 14 other matchups, and i still feel comfortable with him going against Revis. It should be a great matchup.The four amazing safeties thing is funny and i don't think anyone is doubting Chad Henne's arm strength. The MArshall trade just made our offense better in every aspect. Should help out the run game, it gives us a guy thats capable of getting chunk yardage and i think it will even help our 2 2nd year corners that will face him everyday in practice...very, very exciting times to be a dolphins fan.

I know revis plays for the jets, all i care about is our two games dolphag; there's reason your Miami ass is on OUR blog!! Although, the 2 games didn't matter much last year because we still went to the AFC championship, and you were watching us from your couch. BUT ANYWAY! Your running game won't be helped because Ronnie Brown is going to kill him self by drunk driving. Also, if you know anything about football, in practice your offense goes against a scout team. Marshall will not be going hard against your CBs in practice, because he wants to save his energy for the game, and doesn't want to waste his time. And just so you know, Henne sucks. He's not good. He has not "IT" factor like some morons believe he does. We're going to eat you alive this season. Can you say sweep?

I know revis plays for the jets, all i care about is our two games dolphag; there's reason your Miami ass is on OUR blog!! Although, the 2 games didn't matter much last year because we still went to the AFC championship, and you were watching us from your couch. BUT ANYWAY! Your running game won't be helped because Ronnie Brown is going to kill him self by drunk driving. Also, if you know anything about football, in practice your offense goes against a scout team. Marshall will not be going hard against your CBs in practice, because he wants to save his energy for the game, and doesn't want to waste his time. And just so you know, Henne sucks. He's not good. He has not "IT" factor like some morons believe he does. We're going to eat you alive this season. Can you say sweep?

:yawn:

• 5 months later...

Holy Joe Namath !!!

Somebody give this m�r�n his missing chromosome..

"A VERY EXCITING TIME TO BE A DOLPHAG"...

Are you 'EffiN'-kidding me ?

1)you're defensive line sucks a$$, you have no nose-tackle or pass-rushers, your LB corps is ONLY Dansby and you're secondary has more holes than a lesbian-orgy.

2)You're stud RB has a knee made of glass and your sole offensive-acquisition is a WR that, Although-Talented) couldn't produce for team or an organization thats head,shoulders and heals above the sh�t-hole he just fell in..

So do us a favor, go back to spinning the wheels on your tonka-truck and don't forget to claubber yourself in the face with it.

"Troglodytic-Sh�tkicker" !!!

Oh how I've missed you. You are my favorite poster of all time.

Although, your breakdown of the Miami Dolphins is a tad.. No, seriously off.

Im so glad that the Jets arent the Chargers.

This.

Last week, Darrelle Revis was injured and left the game. The Jets subsequently completely shut down Randy Moss and Wes Welker with Tom Brady throwing to them. I have faith in the Jets coaches putting together a gameplan to shut down Chad Henne throwing to Brandon Marshall and the other fish scrubs. While I'm decidedly not thrilled about the Cro vs. Marshall matchup, I again have faith in the Jets' coaches to make the proper adjustments if it's not working out in the first half.

I'm much more concerned about the Jets' offense vs. the fish's dee. But I would have to be, as I'm really not concerned about the fish's offense at all.

And yeah, game #2, with Revis 100%, he completely shuts down Marshall, 100%.

This.

Last week, Darrelle Revis was injured and left the game. The Jets subsequently completely shut down Randy Moss and Wes Welker with Tom Brady throwing to them. I have faith in the Jets coaches putting together a gameplan to shut down Chad Henne throwing to Brandon Marshall and the other fish scrubs. While I'm decidedly not thrilled about the Cro vs. Marshall matchup, I again have faith in the Jets' coaches to make the proper adjustments if it's not working out in the first half.

I'm much more concerned about the Jets' offense vs. the fish's dee. But I would have to be, as I'm really not concerned about the fish's offense at all.

And yeah, game #2, with Revis 100%, he completely shuts down Marshall, 100%.

I think Cro will be alright.

Also, last year our special teams screwed the pooch in the phag games. I think our special teams are better this year. We should win this one. If they let Sanchez play, and he doesn't get happy feet, we should be fine.