After aiding Haiti, Clowney on to Ghana

JohnnyHector

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5114730

NEW YORK -- Jets wide receiver David Clowney is planning a trip to Ghana to help needy children in the West African country, a month after spending three days in earthquake-stricken Haiti to assist in the relief and recovery efforts.

Clowney, entering his fourth NFL season, has scheduled his trip for July 3-10.

He's holding a fundraiser through his charity, the David Clowney Foundation, to raise money to finance the trip and supplies, which his group will take to the people of Ghana.

The mission will include a visit to a hospital, to which Clowney's foundation will donate money and medical supplies. Also on the itinerary are stops at a school in Kumasi and an orphanage in Accra and then a football game to teach the children about the sport.

No word as to whether or not Clowney will instruct the children on the nuances of the English language or the far-reaching impact of Twitter on modern society.

Good for Clowney. He takes some time to try to do some good for others, even if he is a marginal player.

Reading this makes me hope even more that Clowney ends up sticking with some NFL team, if he doesn't make it with us.

Yeah, I was going to make some stupid joke asking when he is going to be "aiding the Jets" for once but you're right. Good move by the kid and he does seem like a good character, wishing him the best as I always have.

Donations are financing his trip there. I don't know how I feel about this. He would be better off raising money and donating it to a reputable charity already out there doing work.

Either way its a nice gesture.

Unless the donations financed his trip only and financed zero in aid. As much as his presence is undoubtedly more helpful than not, the money it took to fly him out there across the Atlantic, transport him to and from the airport on both sides of the ocean, feed him while there, house him while there, (and so forth) would be better spent directly on medicine and food for those he's trying to help.

It's a better gesture than many (if not most) here make. But it also isn't the best use of the proceeds he's raised for the efforts (unless he's truly trained and experienced in caring for the sick and malnourished in lesser-industrialized areas).

Unless the donations financed his trip only and financed zero in aid. As much as his presence is undoubtedly more helpful than not, the money it took to fly him out there across the Atlantic, transport him to and from the airport on both sides of the ocean, feed him while there, house him while there, (and so forth) would be better spent directly on medicine and food for those he's trying to help.

It's a better gesture than many (if not most) here make. But it also isn't the best use of the proceeds he's raised for the efforts (unless he's truly trained and experienced in caring for the sick and malnourished in lesser-industrialized areas).

Yes, its a PR move. But, like you said, better than most contribute.

Archived