REPORT: Jets Shopping Faneca, Thomas, Ellis.

Ghost

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*shoPPed*

The Jets have reportedly put LG Alan Faneca, DE Shaun Ellis, and OLB Bryan Thomas on the trade block.

According to Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post, the players may all be released after the draft if no takers are found. Though Faneca was voted to the 2009 Pro Bowl (undeservedly, again), he graded out poorly last season as a pass blocker and wasn't a difference maker in the running game. He's also due a $7.5 million base salary going on age 34. Ellis is aging and injury prone. Thomas is simply an unproductive pass rusher.

Source: National Football Post

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36666277/ns/sports-player_news/

I don't get it. Why release any of these guys? What good would it do us?

Rex in today's NY Post:

Rex Ryan, responding to an Internet report that the Jets were set to release guard Alan Faneca, linebacker Bryan Thomas and defensive end Shaun Ellis after this week's NFL Draft, reacted with sarcasm and said it had "no validity.''

I saw that on the bleacher report and didn't take it seriously whatsoever. The fact that Rex said Bryan Thomas will be on the team and won't say anything else means there actually is something going on with Faneca and Ellis. I think they both have way more value to us than what we could ever get for them at this stage in their careers.

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

Yeah it does. Faneca just absolutely sucks and is very overrated, I believe that in Rex Ryan's defense, JT will be able to take over for the mediocre Thomas, and Ellis is a big question mark, unless they are trading up for Suh or drafting Brandon Graham.

I saw that on the bleacher report and didn't take it seriously whatsoever. The fact that Rex said Bryan Thomas will be on the team and won't say anything else means there actually is something going on with Faneca and Ellis. I think they both have way more value to us than what we could ever get for them at this stage in their careers.

Sadly that's what I read into Rex's statement too. If anything it should be the other way around with Thomas leaving.

Sadly that's what I read into Rex's statement too. If anything it should be the other way around with Thomas leaving.

I think you've got it backwards. Rex mentioned Thomas because he's the only one anybody would really believe. I think he gave Thomas the vote of confidence because Thomas is the one that should be worried. I meant they did just sign Justin Taylor...

*shoPPed*

The Jets have reportedly put LG Alan Faneca, DE Shaun Ellis, and OLB Bryan Thomas on the trade block.

According to Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post, the players may all be released after the draft if no takers are found. Though Faneca was voted to the 2009 Pro Bowl (undeservedly, again), he graded out poorly last season as a pass blocker and wasn't a difference maker in the running game. He's also due a $7.5 million base salary going on age 34. Ellis is aging and injury prone. Thomas is simply an unproductive pass rusher.

Source: National Football Post

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36666277/ns/sports-player_news/

I don't get it. Why release any of these guys? What good would it do us?

What makes less sense is the part where they'd be released if there were no takers found. Who's going to give us picks knowing that?????

Yeah it does. Faneca just absolutely sucks and is very overrated, I believe that in Rex Ryan's defense, JT will be able to take over for the mediocre Thomas, and Ellis is a big question mark, unless they are trading up for Suh or drafting Brandon Graham.

JT rushes the passer better than Thomas. Over the years I've thrown plenty of deserved criticism Thomas' way but JT absolutely does not do everything better than Thomas. If he did, there would be more teams interested in acquiring him.

Also I would love to hear the explanation behind Shaun Ellis not only being a question mark, but being a BIG question mark at that. Besides, Ellis is entering the last year of his contract and unlike many other deals it doesn't call for a giant balloon payment in the final season. He's getting like $3M this year. Where on earth are the Jets going to find a sure-thing starting DE of Ellis' caliber for the 2010 season, for $3M, without giving up or using a meaningful draft pick or picks?

What makes less sense is the part where they'd be released if there were no takers found. Who's going to give us picks knowing that?????

Someone who doesn't want to get into a bidding war with a dozen other teams AND who doesn't want to give that player a hefty signing bonus would give up a draft pick.

Rex nixes trade rumors...sort of...

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 21, 2010 8:47 AM ET

Reports have surfaced this week that the New York Jets are looking to trade multiple players, including guard Alan Faneca, quarterback Kellen Clemens, defensive end Shaun Ellis and outside linebacker Bryan Thomas.

Jets coach Rex Ryan dismissed those reports in a media conference call Tuesday night -- sort of.

"I'm just shocked that David Harris, Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard and Damien Woody weren't on that list as well," Ryan said. "I guess you can throw enough names out there that maybe you hit on one, so, whatever. Nice report."

However, Jane McManus of ESPN.com reports that Thomas was the only player Ryan specifically denied the Jets would trade. Which would suggest that Faneca, Clemens and Ellis might really be available.

In the case of Clemens, the Jets reportedly would like a late-round pick for him and would release him if they can't get even that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/21/rex-ryan-offers-non-denial-denial-on-jets-trade-rumors/

I love how he acts like he doesnt know whats going on but also understand he has to do that. Fact: at least one of those 3 or leon will be gone by friday.

Hate to break it to you, but the operative words in this post are 'or Leon.'

Reports have surfaced this week that the New York Jets are looking to trade multiple players, including guard Alan Faneca, quarterback Kellen Clemens, defensive end Shaun Ellis and outside linebacker Bryan Thomas.

I will be massively impressed if they get something for Kellen.

Again, this makes no sense to me. The Jets need depth at the OL and DE position, but will release two key players?

The only I see getting cut is Bryan Thomas. Ellis and Faneca are staying put for at least one more season. I see both of them not being with the team next year, though.

Again, this makes no sense to me. The Jets need depth at the OL and DE position, but will release two key players?

The only I see getting cut is Bryan Thomas. Ellis and Faneca are staying put for at least one more season. I see both of them not being with the team next year, though.

In Rex's presser he said that Thomas was definitely not going to be released. Wouldn't comment about the other two. Take it for what it's worth...

I hate this idea. All three of those guys are good-character, team-first vets who are proven commodities for the Jets and have little to no trouble off the field. Everyone talks about how the new headcases we brought in this year are going to be kept in line by the solid core of vets on this team... Well, we already cut Jones, now we're talking about trading away proven pro-bowlers and leaders for draft picks- who have yet to play an NFL down yet?

I dont like it. Judging by the moves made so far, the FO and CS are focused on winning it all THIS YEAR, not so much rebuilding for the future. There is no need to trade Ellis, Faneca, or Thomas this offseason when we are so close to being a SB caliber team. If you want to worry about the future as well, then go into the draft ready to take five players that we can develop in practice and in situational field time this year that can contribute in two or three years from now.

I hope this doesn't happen. This is how lockerrooms are lost, and talented teams ruined.

My stance on this is Tanny and Rex have shown me more than enough in terms of talent evaluation and trade ability. If they want to trade these guys I am on board for it. Some of you guys...you are very fickle and don't have much confidence in our FO.

You need capable replacements first. Faneca I believe would have to be gone next year when the cap comes back. Slauson or another draft pick takes his spot. Ellis still gets it done. What he had 6 1/2 sacks or something? For a 3-4 end thats pretty freakin good. he needs to stay and finish his career as a JET. though we need a young guy to groom behind him. maybe gholston? ;) Thomas is done but u gotta keep him for the year at least. any draft pick would not be able to contribute as a full time starter at olb. taylor is really just a pash rusher right now. I like the rotation of pace-thomas-taylor-and you know that 1st or seconder will be a OLB guy.

My stance on this is Tanny and Rex have shown me more than enough in terms of talent evaluation and trade ability. If they want to trade these guys I am on board for it. Some of you guys...you are very fickle and don't have much confidence in our FO.

This is where you're wrong because Mike Lombardi (the source of the rumor) states that the move is purely financial and not football related.

Thus, how can you have faith in Tanny & Rex when they're not making a football move?

This is from a poster at JI who emailed Lombardi for a clarification of his story:

FWIW.....My email to Lombardi and his reply:

Why would they waive these 3?

There isn't a cap and the Jets are going for the Super Bowl this year.

These 3 are still good, experienced players. They aren't going to replace them via the draft and they can't sign UFA. It makes no sense. Seems you are just throwing things against the wall hoping something sticks...

Lombardi's reply:

this is not speculation, this is fact. they want to cut cost--stadium not sellling tickets...thanks for reading

This is where you're wrong because Mike Lombardi (the source of the rumor) states that the move is purely financial and not football related.

Thus, how can you have faith in Tanny & Rex when they're not making a football move?

This is from a poster at JI who emailed Lombardi for a clarification of his story:

IF they wanted to cut cost they wouldnt be trading late round and future draft picks for high-caliber, expensive players. Its not like Bryan Thomas has a huge salary and dumping him would lessen our expenses by anything significant. Ellis will not get cut unless we somehow acquire two good DE's first... And no way in hell are they cutting Faneca and replacing him with Slausen. It would completely negate any and all progress we made so far this offseason,.

Rex said in his conference call lat night that the list was total BS. Said something along the line of,Guy should just had listed all the players. Maybe he would get lucky on one.

He also assured everyone that B. Thomas would be NY Jet this year.

I call BS. Lombardi has proven to be a know-nothing moron for quite some time. I can't remember ever hearing him make an accurate prediction.

Rex said in his conference call lat night that the list was total BS. Said something along the line of,Guy should just had listed all the players. Maybe he would get lucky on one.

He also assured everyone that B. Thomas would be NY Jet this year.

good....getting rid of any of them doesnt make sense at all....

good....getting rid of any of them doesnt make sense at all....

BRYAN THOMAS HAD 2 SACKS LAST YEAR, Ellis had 6.5, Jason Taylor had 7. Hes going to end up replacing one of em. GIVE EM THE BOOT! ITS NOT THAT THEY'RE OLD, ITS THAT THEY SUCK! LT AND JT ARE OLD BUT THEY'RE GOOD!

Faneca is needed to help develop our O-line. Experience and knowledge are two things that need to be passed down on the o line. You could say this about the d line too, but we just got Jason Taylor. SO GET RID OF ELLIS AND THOMAS!

BRYAN THOMAS HAD 2 SACKS LAST YEAR, Ellis had 6.5, Jason Taylor had 7. Hes going to end up replacing one of em. GIVE EM THE BOOT! ITS NOT THAT THEY'RE OLD, ITS THAT THEY SUCK! LT AND JT ARE OLD BUT THEY'RE GOOD!

Faneca is needed to help develop our O-line. Experience and knowledge are two things that need to be passed down on the o line. You could say this about the d line too, but we just got Jason Taylor. SO GET RID OF ELLIS AND THOMAS!

If you think Ellis sucks then we must be watching two different Jets teams because he's a very solid contributor.

If you're basing his worth on the number of sacks he had as a 3-4 end then you don't know football. Sorry to have to tell you that

I really doubt he's "very over rated" but that's just me. Don't **** with this offensive line.. it's our bread and butter.

I'm sure we'll find out from someone that they were the worst DE and OLB in the league last season...:rolleyes:
Hey it was true about faneca, not my fault this is the first you are hearing about it, and that doesn't change the facts or the numbers.

Archived