Jets adjust Holmes' deal so he'll lose less money during suspension

R3V1S24

NFL.com

The New York Jets continue to show benevolence to their new players.

The NFL gave Santonio Holmes a four-game suspension without pay after he violated the league's substance-abuse policy, but the Jets reworked the wide receiver's contract to lessen his financial burden, a team source told NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi on Tuesday

After the Jets acquired Holmes last week in a trade with the Pittsburgh Steelers, they lowered his $755,000 base salary, in the process lessening the amount of money the league will deduct from his paychecks. The Jets shifted Holmes' money into roster, reporting and signing bonuses, which aren't affected by the suspension.

The move came one month after the Jets restructured cornerback Antonio Cromartie's contract so he could settle some financial obligations. A league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora that the Jets converted part of Cromartie's $1.7 million salary into a roughly $500,000 bonus that he immediately received.

The Jets wouldn't directly comment on Cromartie's contract, but general manager Mike Tannenbaum said the team was trying to give the cornerback "his best chance to be successful" after the team acquired him in a trade with the San Diego Chargers.

I like the way management is dealing with our problem children. Giving Cromarte funds to clean up his immediate child support issues and now Holmes. Maybe it will be appreciated down the road; maybe it will help get their heads screwed on right. In any event, it is a classy way of working with these misfits.

This front office really "gets it" with its players. So not only do you have a Coach that everyone wants to play for then you have a front office that will go up and beyond to show its support of its players which will establish that loyalty not only to the coach but to the organization.

Woody/Tanny/Rex= geniuses.

Except that this will only serve to irritate Goodell (I know, who gives a crap) even more. On the heels of the coin flip gate incident, he's going to really have it in for the organization now and look for any chance he can to stick it to them. And we don't have Mrs. Wilfork to go in and soften him up.

Oh well...

Leave it to Tanny to find ways to loophole the league:

Taylor is getting bonus money from next year, and Holmes is getting a presidential salary in savings by Tanny manipulating his contract info.

Is there anything our GM can't do?

:D

That is a good move, keep the players motivated.

And they will pay it off if they can sell any damn PSLs.

I think they have to be getting to the point where they realize that anyone who hasn't bought a PSL by now isn't going to, no matter who they sign. No offense to anyone who did purchase them, but I'd be shocked if there were really people who haven't bought who are so close to the edge that a big-name, over-the-hill signing is going to make the difference. I can't seriously believe anyone said to themselves "oh, now that Tomlinson's a Jet I'd better go plunk down that $40k!". If the Jets really believed it was going to help sell them, then thank god they're better at drafting then they are at selling seats.

Archived