Fireman Ed will let bygones be bygones

NIGHT STALKER

Ed Anzalone, Jets' biggest fan, ready to bury hatchet with newly signed Taylor

By Rich Cimini

Special to ESPNNewYork.com

The Jets' most famous fan, Ed Anzalone -- aka Fireman Ed -- is willing to let bygones be bygones. He's ready to embrace Jason Taylor -- the same Jason Taylor who trashed Jets fans for years as a member of the rival Dolphins.

Anzalone's reasoning is simple: He's one of us now.

"I don't like the way he talked about Jets fans, but you have to move on," Anzalone told ESPNNewYork.com Wednesday, shortly after Taylor signed his two-year contract. "The bottom line is, Jason Taylor is a competitive maniac. If he plays with the same anger and passion with the Jets as he did with the Dolphins, it could be a marriage made in heaven."

Just a couple of weeks ago, when the Jets started courting the NFL's active leader in sacks, Fireman Ed famously called Taylor a "meathead" in an interview with the Daily News -- but a "good meathead" if he made plays to help the Jets' defense.

The Jets' acquisition of Taylor isn't sitting well with many die-hard fans who can't forget his well-publicized insults over the years. Anzalone understands that sentiment. In fact, he engaged in a verbal confrontation with Taylor a few years ago after a Dolphins victory at the Meadowlands. But Fireman Ed wants to see his beloved team win a Super Bowl and he believes Taylor can be a piece in the championship puzzle.

"I'm going to root like hell for him," Fireman Ed said. "If he does well, that means the team I love most probably is doing well, too. Love him or hate him, the guy wants to win a championship. Plus, remember this: We've only seen images of him in his Dolphins uniform. Once he gets in that green jersey, in that atmosphere, the fans will go wild."

On Tuesday, Taylor referenced Fireman Ed in an interview with South Florida reporters, noting how Anzalone called him a "meathead." But now Fireman Ed has extended an olive branch. When asked if he could be friends with Taylor, perhaps even film a commercial together if the marriage is a success, Anzalone laughed.

"We're both bald," he said, "so maybe we could do a razor-blade commercial."

Ed Anzalone, Jets' biggest fan, ready to bury hatchet with newly signed Taylor

By Rich Cimini

Special to ESPNNewYork.com

The Jets' most famous fan, Ed Anzalone -- aka Fireman Ed -- is willing to let bygones be bygones. He's ready to embrace Jason Taylor -- the same Jason Taylor who trashed Jets fans for years as a member of the rival Dolphins.

Anzalone's reasoning is simple: He's one of us now.

"I don't like the way he talked about Jets fans, but you have to move on," Anzalone told ESPNNewYork.com Wednesday, shortly after Taylor signed his two-year contract. "The bottom line is, Jason Taylor is a competitive maniac. If he plays with the same anger and passion with the Jets as he did with the Dolphins, it could be a marriage made in heaven."

Just a couple of weeks ago, when the Jets started courting the NFL's active leader in sacks, Fireman Ed famously called Taylor a "meathead" in an interview with the Daily News -- but a "good meathead" if he made plays to help the Jets' defense.

The Jets' acquisition of Taylor isn't sitting well with many die-hard fans who can't forget his well-publicized insults over the years. Anzalone understands that sentiment. In fact, he engaged in a verbal confrontation with Taylor a few years ago after a Dolphins victory at the Meadowlands. But Fireman Ed wants to see his beloved team win a Super Bowl and he believes Taylor can be a piece in the championship puzzle.

"I'm going to root like hell for him," Fireman Ed said. "If he does well, that means the team I love most probably is doing well, too. Love him or hate him, the guy wants to win a championship. Plus, remember this: We've only seen images of him in his Dolphins uniform. Once he gets in that green jersey, in that atmosphere, the fans will go wild."

On Tuesday, Taylor referenced Fireman Ed in an interview with South Florida reporters, noting how Anzalone called him a "meathead." But now Fireman Ed has extended an olive branch. When asked if he could be friends with Taylor, perhaps even film a commercial together if the marriage is a success, Anzalone laughed.

Well whaddya know? Attention Whore Ed will forgive Jason Taylor. :rolleyes:

I'd prefer Ed to just say "F*** Jason Taylor" and walk away. But thats just me.

Did Jason Taylor hurt your feelings when he said bad things about Jet fans? Maybe he can send you some flowers so you'll forgive him. Where I come from, guys trash talk each other, say mean things and go toe to toe, then have a beer afterwards and forget it. Chicks hold on to the mean things said about them and never forgive. Which are you?

Did Jason Taylor hurt your feelings when he said bad things about Jet fans? Maybe he can send you some flowers so you'll forgive him. Where I come from, guys trash talk each other, say mean things and go toe to toe, then have a beer afterwards and forget it. Chicks hold on to the mean things said about them and never forgive. Which are you?

Where I come from, you don't "let bygones be bygones" when someone says he hates you. I hope he does well for us, but thats where my support for Jason Taylor ends.

Remember the days when Brooklyn Dodger fans hated New York Giants fans and vice versa? Well, I don't, but I wish sports were more like that. I don't have to like the guy to be considered a true fan.

Don't act like I'm the only one with this opinion.

Well, if Fireman Ed can forgive and forget, I guess we all can too.

Right guys?!

He will have my forgiveness as soon as he reaches double digit sacks this season. I may even take up dance lessons at that point. But till then he's just Faggot azz Xerxes's to me.

Though always like the guys energy. I feel like Fireman Ed sold out. I could see eventually embracing him but immediately? GHEY

We get it...you're one of these "turn the other cheek" guys. Nothing wrong with that and there's nothing wrong with guys like me that hold grudges...I guess I was trained that way.

one thing about JT for me anyway-I always respected him, and was happy when we beat them. I watched him yesterday and I could see that his heart is still in Miami but hey you gotta work and all good gigs eventually end so here he is. I'm happy he's a Jet now and could care less what was said in the heat of battle-he's a Jet now and Ill be rooting for him.

one thing about JT for me anyway-I always respected him, and was happy when we beat them. I watched him yesterday and I could see that his heart is still in Miami but hey you gotta work and all good gigs eventually end so here he is. I'm happy he's a Jet now and could care less what was said in the heat of battle-he's a Jet now and Ill be rooting for him.

I'll root for him Jimmy...doesn't mean I have to like the ass hat though. He reminds me of Kevin McHale years ago with the Celtics on how Knick fans were the "gutter" of NBA fans...he and Taylor are the only ones that I can think of that openly trashed NY fans.

i didn't like jason taylor as a dolphin, and it remains to be seen if i will like him as a jet. but the one thing you have to like about the guy (if he's on your team that is) is that he seems to hate the opposition when he's playing them. guys that play with that sort of intensity and hatred on the field are usually fun to watch when they are playing for your side. if he truly has anythign lef tin the tank and he gives the jest that same intensity then i suppose most of us will like him as a player on this team.

I'll root for him Jimmy...doesn't mean I have to like the ass hat though. He reminds me of Kevin McHale years ago with the Celtics on how Knick fans were the "gutter" of NBA fans...he and Taylor are the only ones that I can think of that openly trashed NY fans.

john roker comes to mind. he trashed the entire city and basically called us all pregnant, drug-addicted aids victims.

Where I come from, you don't "let bygones be bygones" when someone says he hates you. I hope he does well for us, but thats where my support for Jason Taylor ends.

Remember the days when Brooklyn Dodger fans hated New York Giants fans and vice versa? Well, I don't, but I wish sports were more like that. I don't have to like the guy to be considered a true fan.

Don't act like I'm the only one with this opinion.

As if you both didn't grow up on suburban cul-de-sacs.

I met him a couple of weeks ago at that Lacrosse thing the New Meadowlands did. It was like a day or two after his story in the papers about him being mad. He said he was taken a little out of context and think Taylor would be a good fit. He said he didn't like Taylor but it would be good for the Jets.

the analogy I read in one of these threads was that if all you need taylor to do is come in and rush the passer, for 1.5 mill it's a pretty good deal

so if that's the case, I say if rex wants him I'll get over it

so If he signs, I give it 2 months max before he does an TV ad with fireman ed, probably for the oreo racing league or whatever

I was close :lol:

Archived