Welcome Kyle Wilson!!!

PS17

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like what I've seen so far.

Hope to God he's as good as some believe. With that trio of CB's the Jets will dominate. It opens up more and more blitzes and Ryan can go absolutely nuts.

Awesome!

Now we just need a DE and a OL in the later rds for depth and Ill be ready for the season!!! WOOOHOO!

KWilson.jpg

Kyle Wilson, 5-10/190

Cornerback

Boise State

Kyle Wilson Scouting Report

By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Good musculature

Highly athletic with good speed

Experienced

Very talented - skill set

Outstanding footwork

Great agility and change of direction

Shows ability to mirror against athletic WRs

Low in his backpedal - technically sound

Love his anticipation and instincts

Durable

Comfortable on an island

Fluid hips

Scrappy/physical at the line of scrimmage - uses hands well

Nice return man

Extremely competitive

Confident

Big Senior Bowl week

Still has some potential

Weaknesses: Sometimes doesn't look back for the ball

Inconsistent tackler

Needs to improve run support

Will give up some big plays

Lacks zone awareness

A bit of a gambler in coverage

Less than ideal height

Summary: I really like Wilson's skill set and I think he will contribute to a team early in his career. He has the potential to be a No. 1 corner in the league though he has a couple things he needs to work on to make that happen. Wilson really impressed NFL scouts and coaches during Senior Bowl week and he was the best corner on the field. He was suspended in 2007 for three games for a violation of team rules - this will be checked into by the regional scouts but I'm not holding it against him until we hear media reports. Wilson will likely get drafted in the latter half of the first round.

Player Comparison: Cortland Finnegan. Finnegan is a very confident player who is highly athletic and finds ways to make plays. He's a good press man corner like Wilson.

Wilson's speed at the combine was 4.42, which is okay, not great. Above average for a CB, who tend to be a bit slower than WR's.

Still, I'm wondering if the Jets are sick of Cromartie already. Because I'm finding it hard to believe that our greatest draft need is a third cornerback with okay speed.

Never seen the guy play, but wasn't there a good player at a position we aren't so loaded at?

His speed at the combine was 4.42, which is okay, not great. Above average for a CB, who tend to be a bit slower than WR's.

Still, I'm wondering if the Jets are sick of Cromartie already. Because I'm finding it hard to believe that our greatest draft need is a third cornerback with okay speed.

Never seen the guy play, but wasn't there a good player at a position we aren't so loaded at?

BPA. Teams that draft purely based on need usually don't work out so well.

His speed at the combine was 4.42, which is okay, not great. Above average for a CB, who tend to be a bit slower than WR's.

You need 3 solid CB's to win in this league. Having 2 solid CB's and a couple crappy ones does not make you "loaded". The Jets are not sick of Cromartie. On the contrary, we drafted Wilson because Rex LOVES having lots of good DB's. Now we can blitz all we want and play man coverage all we want.

Wilson's speed at the combine was 4.42, which is okay, not great. Above average for a CB, who tend to be a bit slower than WR's.

We were not loaded at the position until after we drafted Wilson. :rolleyes:

You need 3 solid CB's to win in this league. Having 2 solid CB's and a couple crappy ones does not make you "loaded". The Jets are not sick of Cromartie. On the contrary, we drafted Wilson because Rex LOVES having lots of good DB's. Now we can blitz all we want and play man coverage all we want.

Great point plus injuries do happen in this league. Not to mention now I get to have an awesome avatar. Thanks Tanny

Being loaded with corners is not a luxury, but a necessity in today's game -- especially with Rex's blitz oriented defense. Wilson was the smart pick and has nothing to do dissatisfaction with Cromartie (who I think will both shine and be well behaved).

Wilson was probably one of the best planned pick for our team and its future. It is all depending on Cro's behavior and success this year. Either....

1) Cromartie does not regain his old form or gets himself in trouble...then we won't resign him and lose our draft pick. From then Wilson would be promoted across Revis

2) Cromartie returns to form, and we'll have Revis, Cromartie and Wilson all in their 20s...and Wilson potentially being one of the best nickel CBs in the league

Tomorrow it's about making a move to get Terrance Cody...if we would address depth on our D in 2 players who could be great at the next level

Rex in the NY Post:

Ryan was so giddy about the pick that he basically anointed Wilson as the starting nickel back in the sub packages despite veterans Dwight Lowery and Drew Coleman already on the roster and with more experience.

“When we draft a guy in the first round he’s going to play,’’ Ryan said. “He’ll be a starting nickel and our punt returner.’’

Archived