AFC East Round 1 & Remaining Picks

Jetsfan80

Who made out best (assign a grade if you'd like), and what do you think the strategy will be going forward for us AND our AFC East foes?

JETS

1st rounder

29. Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

Remaining Picks (4)

2nd round: # 61

4th round: # 124

6th round: # 198

7th round: # 236

Dolphins

1st rounder

28. Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State

Remaining Picks (9)

2nd round: # 40

3rd round: # 73

4th round: # 126

5th round: # 145

6th round: # 174, 179

7th round: # 212, 219, 252

Bills

1st rounder

9. C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

Remaining Picks (8)

2nd round: # 41

3rd round: # 72

4th round: # 107

5th round: # 140

6th round: # 178, 192

7th round: # 209, 216

Patriots

1st rounder

27. Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers

Remaining Picks (12)

2nd round: # 44, 47, 53

3rd round: # 90

4th round: # 113

6th round: # 190, 205

7th round: # 231, 247, 248, 250

Jets - B+

everyone here knows what our needs are.

Bills - A-

Spiller's talented but small, likely to get swallowed up at the next level.

They need everything, where do I start?

Pats - B+

McCourtey fills a need for 'Ol Half-Sleeves.

They have to pick up a TE somewhere right? No Watson or Baker.

Need D Line and Pass Rush.

Phags - B+

Odrick's pretty solid and they obviously need to buy some time for Henne.

Jets - B+

everyone here knows what our needs are.

Bills - A-

Spiller's talented but small, likely to get swallowed up at the next level.

They need everything, where do I start?

Pats - B+

McCourtey fills a need for 'Ol Half-Sleeves.

They have to pick up a TE somewhere right? No Watson or Baker.

Need D Line and Pass Rush.

Phags - B+

Odrick's pretty solid as they obviously need to buy some time for Henne.

I really don't see how you can grade just one pick dirty. I would say they were all pretty solid though.

It scares me how the Pats have 3 picks ahead of us. They know what we want and they pretty much need the same thing.

Honestly, I expect the Jets to trade up tomorrow for Sergio Kindle.

I could see that happening. My question is if we trade up we're not going to have any more draft picks to really take care of our other needs. No OL no safety. I do think however that by the time we pick in the 2nd round that all of the DE's that we are looking at will certainly be gone.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Who made out best (assign a grade if you'd like), and what do you think the strategy will be going forward for us AND our AFC East foes?

JETS

1st rounder

29. Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

Remaining Picks (4)

2nd round: # 61

4th round: # 124

6th round: # 198

7th round: # 236

Dolphins

1st rounder

28. Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State

Remaining Picks (9)

2nd round: # 40

3rd round: # 73

4th round: # 126

5th round: # 145

6th round: # 174, 179

7th round: # 212, 219, 252

Bills

1st rounder

9. C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

Remaining Picks (8)

2nd round: # 41

3rd round: # 72

4th round: # 107

5th round: # 140

6th round: # 178, 192

7th round: # 209, 216

Patriots

1st rounder

27. Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers

Remaining Picks (12)

2nd round: # 44, 47, 53

3rd round: # 90

4th round: # 113

6th round: # 190, 205

7th round: # 231, 247, 248, 250

Jets B+

Phags C

Bills C-

Patsies B+

Dolphags traded down too far .

Bills had much more pressing needs heading into the draft. IMO RB was a position of strenght for them

Patsies- you nevah have enough good CB's. Ask Troy Brown. :)

The Dolphins and Jets got steals in terms of value. Wilson and Odrick were both top 20 grades. I didn't get the Patriots pick, and CJ SPiller is Chris Johnson special in my opinion.

I like that we got back into the 2nd round and acquired a pretty decent linebacker for the trade back. Then again, I'm not sure what Odrick's role on this team is. We have a really good end with Starks and a pretty solid one with Kendal Langford. Then we have Phillip Merling and Tony McDaniel making a pretty solid DE rotation. I wonder if we kick Odrick inside to play the nose. Maybe he just rotates like Starks did in 2008.

Should be an interesting second round with Miami pick 40th, Buffalo 41st, New Engladn 44th, 47th, 53rd and the jets picking 61st. I don't understand why so many teams throw picks at the Pats. They do an incredible job stockpiling and it looks like Josh McDaniels learned ONE good thing from Belichick.

The Dolphins and Jets got steals in terms of value. Wilson and Odrick were both top 20 grades. I didn't get the Patriots pick, and CJ SPiller is Chris Johnson special in my opinion.

I like that we got back into the 2nd round and acquired a pretty decent linebacker for the trade back. Then again, I'm not sure what Odrick's role on this team is. We have a really good end with Starks and a pretty solid one with Kendal Langford. Then we have Phillip Merling and Tony McDaniel making a pretty solid DE rotation. I wonder if we kick Odrick inside to play the nose. Maybe he just rotates like Starks did in 2008.

Should be an interesting second round with Miami pick 40th, Buffalo 41st, New Engladn 44th, 47th, 53rd and the jets picking 61st. I don't understand why so many teams throw picks at the Pats. They do an incredible job stockpiling and it looks like Josh McDaniels learned ONE good thing from Belichick.

The only questionable pick was Buffalo. Your pickup was a great move and I love Wilson on the Jets.

It scares me how the Pats have 3 picks ahead of us. They know what we want and they pretty much need the same thing.

I like how the Jets have the attention of the rest of the division, and how the Pats and fish set themselves up to pick right ahead of them. It's respect.

Meanwhile, Jets cooly take the best player on their board.

I don't care what the other teams do in reaction to the Jets, and neither -I believe- do they.

I like how the Jets have the attention of the rest of the division, and how the Pats and fish set themselves up to pick right ahead of them. It's respect.

Meanwhile, Jets cooly take the best player on their board.

I don't care what the other teams do in reaction to the Jets, and neither -I believe- do they.

Correct you are.

If any team makes picks or decisions based on who a rival may pick, you have them beat already.

Jets - A. They didn't have to do anything at all to get a steal. This was a plug and play pick, though they listened to offers.

Dolphins - B+. Got good value for moving from 12 to 28, but missed out on Dan Williams and took a lesser talent in Odrick.

Pats - C. This has nothing to do with McCourty as McCourty; he's a B to B+ pick. But passing on Wilson for McCourty is just crazy, and in truth, they also should have taken Dan Williams at 24 rather than trading down.

Buffalo - D. Drafting Spiller to a team with no starting QB, LT, or RT, and which already has Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson, is asinine. Unless Spiller becomes Chris Johnson (and Johnson has an OL), this is an awful pick.

personally i think the phins pick was a bad one. de is the one position on defense where they have a logjam of players. i don't know if they made th epick just to try and keep odrick away from us but i just don't see how the pick was a good one with so many needs on defense for them and good value at positions of need for them still on the board.

Regarding a previous post about Sergio Kindle; I was wondering why he had not gotten off the board earlier as well, apparently he is dropping like a rock because of medical concerns. Schefter was saying that teams had him completely off their board since he may need microfracture surgery on his knee. Pretty ****ty. Would be surprised to see him drafted today if that's true.

personally i think the phins pick was a bad one. de is the one position on defense where they have a logjam of players. i don't know if they made th epick just to try and keep odrick away from us but i just don't see how the pick was a good one with so many needs on defense for them and good value at positions of need for them still on the board.

I think Odrick will play DT, Parcells loves these types.

Well, when you draft a need, you often times find yourself reaching. Perfect example, Dan Williams Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes. All guys Miami was rumored to take...at 12. One went 26 to AZ, another 31 to the Colts, the other hasn't been drafted yet.

We got EXCELLENT value, especially when you consider we traded down, acquired SD's 40th pick, and still got the 09' DPOY in the Big 10 who can play DT, NT or DE in the 3-4.

We drafted the BPA, and still have a pick at 40 to acquire a FS or OLB. Our pass defense was horrid last year, and a lot of that was because we couldn't get constant pressure on the QB. Odrick is a guy who can get a great interior pass rush and also stuff the run in the middle.

Odrick is a guy who can get a great interior pass rush and also stuff the run in the middle.

Phins got too cute....Pretty sure they wanted Williams, and had to settle with Odrick

Typical Penn State lineman

I think he has bust potential

Phins got too cute....Pretty sure they wanted Williams, and had to settle with Odrick

Name me one player who doesn't have bust potential?

And no, they didn't get cute. By trading down, the Dolphins were basically passing on Williams. The guy was a projected top 15 pick on just about every mock I've seen. There's no way they could've know he'd fall that far.

Also, this draft is loaded. There are other NT's in the 3rd and 4th round worth taking a look at.

EDIT: Not to mention Williams was a one-year wonder at TN. Talk about "bust potential".

Name me one player who doesn't have bust potential?

And no, they didn't get cute. By trading down, the Dolphins were basically passing on Williams. The guy was a projected top 15 pick on just about every mock I've seen. There's no way they could've know he'd fall that far.

Also, this draft is loaded. There are other NT's in the 3rd and 4th round worth taking a look at.

EDIT: Not to mention Williams was a one-year wonder at TN. Talk about "bust potential".

I got to see Odrick on a week in week out basis and you got yourself a player whose motor will not stop. He will pursue sideline to sideline and will diagnose plays.

How his body will parlay in the NFL, and what his ultimate position will be is a guess, but you have someone who will spill it out on the field.

Well, when you draft a need, you often times find yourself reaching. Perfect example, Dan Williams Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes. All guys Miami was rumored to take...at 12. One went 26 to AZ, another 31 to the Colts, the other hasn't been drafted yet.

We got EXCELLENT value, especially when you consider we traded down, acquired SD's 40th pick, and still got the 09' DPOY in the Big 10 who can play DT, NT or DE in the 3-4.

We drafted the BPA, and still have a pick at 40 to acquire a FS or OLB. Our pass defense was horrid last year, and a lot of that was because we couldn't get constant pressure on the QB. Odrick is a guy who can get a great interior pass rush and also stuff the run in the middle.

another reason was your safties and cb's, other then Smith, suck

another reason was your safties and cb's, other then Smith, suck

I don't care how good CB's are, if a QB has all day to throw, they're gonna complete passes.

Also, both CB's were rookies. So, no, they don't suck. We got rid of our weakest DB in Safety Gebril Wilson. He was horrible in coverage. And Yeremiah Bell was a Pro Bowler who had arguably his best season.

I got to see Odrick on a week in week out basis and you got yourself a player whose motor will not stop. He will pursue sideline to sideline and will diagnose plays.

How his body will parlay in the NFL, and what his ultimate position will be is a guess, but you have someone who will spill it out on the field.

Right on. From what I know of him, he definitely seems to be a versatile player. Many think he's best suited for the 5 technique. I've heard comparisons to Jay Ratliff, who is basically the same build. If that's the case, hard not to like the pick.

odrick isn't a 3-4 NT imo. i knwo my opinion doesn't matter much in the sheme of things. but undersized 3-4 NT's are not something you want at the most important position on your front 7. but whatever.

if they really wanted williams they would have just stood fast and taken him at 12. parcells wanted to recoup hid draft pick and just take whoever fell to him at 28. i think he made a mistake with the pick.....but i'm just some idiot on a football message board and he's a hof coach so i guess he gets the benefit of the doubt, lol.

odrick isn't a 3-4 NT imo. i knwo my opinion doesn't matter much in the sheme of things. but undersized 3-4 NT's are not something you want at the most important position on your front 7. but whatever.

Personally, I would not put Odrick as a NT on a 3-4 defense on an every down basis.

You can probably rotate him in there from time to time,, but I think you would be doing his athleticism a misjustice.

I too, am just an idiot on a message board, too.

Personally, I would not put Odrick as a NT on a 3-4 defense on an every down basis.

You can probably rotate him in there from time to time,, but I think you would be doing his athleticism a misjustice.

I too, am just an idiot on a message board, too.

i guess they can always kick him inside if they plan on runnign more hybrid type defense. i mean the kid looks like a good player and i would have been happy to have him play DE for the jets......but in the end i really love our pick. with marshall in the afc east now, the patriots still having brady, the chargers, colts etc to deal with i'm ecstatic about getting a cb like wilson. kid looks like he has some skillset, and he's strong as hell for his size. it just allows us to do so much more as far as rushing the passer even in 3,4,5 receiver sets. the new meadowlands is definitely going to be a no-fly zone next year.

The Patriots did well to gain picks but McCourty was unnecessary and will likely not see the field. I give it a B-.

The Fins should've drafted a corner like Wilson he will be great. Odrick may have a motor but projecting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 can be tough plus I've heard he can have problems fighting off two linemen at the same time so forget about NT. This is a team that needs to win now and I see Odrick as a guy that may need a season or two to find his place. They should've made a move for a CB or an OLB. Their pass rush is laughable and no one is scared to throw in Vontae Davis' direction. Although I like Odrick the pick receives a C- grade because they will not be any better this year and first round picks are supposed to be impact players (unless they are named Tim Tebow of course)

The Bills certainly have more pressing needs, but I see big things for CJ. He was a great value as a potential top 5 or 6 pick. Here is a team that hasn't had a big play threat in forever so I respect the chance they are taking. They are rebuilding and I wouldn't be surprised to see them move Jackson if they can. I give it an A- because it may not pay immediate dividends but he could be a household name soon enough.

Wilson was an excellent value at 29. He is aggressive off the line and shows excellent instincts in coverage. Can't wait to see him lineup with Welker if he's ever healthy again. Don't forget the Peyton threw well to Garcon and Collie, with Wayne on Revis island so we need a third corner. He could be our number two and is great insurance if Cromartie can't return to form. BAP. My grade is A.

Looking toward the next two rounds tonight there are a lot of talented players left and the Pats have three picks. I hope they miss out on Gronkowski, Tate, Benn and Gerhart, or that they select their 2010 Chad Jackson. This is a team in desperate need of skill players. Clearly Bill thinks there's value in the second round. Look for them to pick up an HBack and a WR/TE. I hope they choak.

i guess they can always kick him inside if they plan on runnign more hybrid type defense. i mean the kid looks like a good player and i would have been happy to have him play DE for the jets......but in the end i really love our pick. with marshall in the afc east now, the patriots still having brady, the chargers, colts etc to deal with i'm ecstatic about getting a cb like wilson. kid looks like he has some skillset, and he's strong as hell for his size. it just allows us to do so much more as far as rushing the passer even in 3,4,5 receiver sets. the new meadowlands is definitely going to be a no-fly zone next year.

The Jets put themselves in a position where they could consider the BAP, and it looks like that is what we got.

That it helps fortify an important part of the team, only helps.

The Jets did not need to panic and move up, because there was no urgency. For once, it was nice to have the draft come to us, rather than having to force issues

Archived