Jets play Patriots/Belly like a Jerry Springer ambush victim

SouthernJet

Sources say:

"The Jets had a interest in Rutger's Devin McCourty but were so convinced that Boise States Kyle Wilson was the best CB in entire draft, that they decided to concoct a James Bond spin. The Jets knew the Patriots were interested in a CB as well in Round 1 and decided to enlist the press machine by 'over-hyping' McCourtry and his 'NJ connection' to try and take the emphasis off Wilson. It's funny when you consider that Wilson is a NJ native. It appeared to work as the Patriots took McCourty over Wilson, a CB that many teams (Jets included) in league had much higher on their boards than McCourty."

:rl:

Sources say:

"The Jets had a interest in Rutger's Devin McCourty but were so convinced that Boise States Kyle Wilson was the best CB in entire draft, that they decided to concoct a James Bond spin. The Jets knew the Patriots were interested in a CB as well in Round 1 and decided to enlist the press machine by 'over-hyping' McCourtry and his 'NJ connection' to try and take the emphasis off Wilson. It's funny when you consider that Wilson is a NJ native. It appeared to work as the Patriots took McCourty over Wilson, a CB that many teams (Jets included) in league had much higher on their boards than McCourty."

:rl:

Yes. That's exactly what happened. Just like Belichick snowed us on Gholston two years ago. Get real.

LOL, whatever there...BUT I still think the Jets got the better CB.

They definitly did, you are 100% right..another source...

"New York Jets Select CB Kyle Wilson 29th Overall

AUTHOR: Bob Cunningham | IN: 2010 NFL Draft | COMMENTS: 1 Comment

Wilson is a steal late in the first round.

Three cornerbacks, Joe Haden, Kareem Jackson, and Devin McCourty, have all been taken before Kyle Wilson at 29th overall to the New York Jets, but only one (Haden) is justified.

Wilson was arguably the best corner in this draft, so the Jets get a real steal here by snagging him this late. They already have arguably the best corner in the league in Darrelle Revis, and recently traded for Antonio Cromartie, so adding Wilson to that mix should scare the hell out of all the receivers in the AFC East."

Three cornerbacks, Joe Haden, Kareem Jackson, and Devin McCourty, have all been taken before Kyle Wilson at 29th overall to the New York Jets, but only one (Haden) is justified.

Wilson was arguably the best corner in this draft, so the Jets get a real steal here by snagging him this late. They already have arguably the best corner in the league in Darrelle Revis, and recently traded for Antonio Cromartie, so adding Wilson to that mix should scare the hell out of all the receivers in the AFC East."

:cheers:

Wilson pick " rexey just ripped rear view mirror out of his car, what is behind us is of no worry!"

I wonder if they baited the phags into taking Odrick too?

I think it's safe to assume that Wilson was the first name on our board and everything we did in the runup to the draft was calculated to engineer the first 28 picks to go exactly the way we wanted them to go.

I think it's safe to assume that Wilson was the first name on our board and everything we did in the runup to the draft was calculated to engineer the first 28 picks to go exactly the way we wanted them to go.
I think so too. :cheers:

Ya agree, it seems this source feels the Jets got revenge.

Belichicks kid Stephen goes to Rutgers. Holy Sh#t, do you think BB's kid is in on the plot too? :rolleyes:

Belichick and the Rutgers HC have been friends for years.

Belichick Gives Rutgers Some Advice: Schiano invites Patriots' coach to address his slumping team

23-Oct-2008, Daily Record

"The coach walked into the Rutgers football team's meeting room to the surprise of everyone, looking no different than he does on Sunday afternoons. Bill Belichick had the same mannerisms, the same no-nonsense scowl

Belichick and the Rutgers HC have been friends for years.

Meh, exaggeration. Belichick and Stagnitta fellate each other because his son's a mediocre lacrosse player and Belichick gives him free Pats tickets and ****. Schiano's kind of just taken advantage of that relationship in recent years to help his players and staff out, draw a little more attention to the program...etc.

Wilson is small and has a rep for not being much of a tackler. The Jets play a ton of man. He sounds like the perfect guy to fill the slot for us and deal with weasely little ****ers like Welker and Collie. That doesn't make him perfect for other teams that like to mix coverages. He may well have been the best CB for the Jets without being the best CB for every other team.

Wilson is small and has a rep for not being much of a tackler. The Jets play a ton of man. He sounds like the perfect guy to fill the slot for us and deal with weasely little ****ers like Welker and Collie. That doesn't make him perfect for other teams that like to mix coverages. He may well have been the best CB for the Jets without being the best CB for every other team.

ESPN compared Wilson to Palamalu in terms of tackling. Now I am confused

ESPN compared Wilson to Palamalu in terms of tackling. Now I am confused

I didn't study up on him. I heard a bunch about him senior bowl week and really liked everything I heard. Then on a Rams board everybody was bitching about his tackling. He is undersized, the tackling bull**** I got 3rd hand.

Here are some links that question his tackling:

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:grfNAh4nvqcJ:members6.boardhost.com/TALKinPACKERS/msg/1270602365.html+%22kyle+wilson%22+tackling&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2010-nfl-draft/kyle-wilson.html

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2010/2/5/1296521/scouting-the-draft-kyle-wilson-cb

FWIW, there was at least one place that said Haden has worse tackling technique.

Dude wilson is way ahead of devin and is much stronger

Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise St.

An impressive Fiesta Bowl jump started Wilson's rise through draft boards across the nation. The way he ended his senior season should not had come as a big surprise to many NFL scouts as the 5-foot-10 defensive back had a solid college career that began in the same Arizona field (against Oklahoma in the 2006 Fiesta Bowl) that ended it all a few weeks ago. As a redshirt freshman, Wilson had a breakthrough game against the vaunted Sooners' passing attack, registering 10 tackles in Boise's landmark 43-42 win.

Wilson ended 2006 (started 5 out of 13 games) with 41 tackles, 1 INT and 5 Passes Broken Up (PBU). A good second year (41 tackles, 2 INTs, 8 PBU and 1 sack) catapulted him to the national spotlight. Another great campaign followed in 2008 when as a junior, Wilson went on to set career-high in INTs (5) and PBU (10). Following yet another impressive season in 2009, the Piscataway, NJ product was invited to play in the Senior Bowl where he constantly outperformed the competition.

Has shown top notch athleticism throughout his career with the Broncos. Is aggressive trying to break up passes. Shows natural instincts to diagnose plays. Is not fooled easy by play-action. Reads receivers' route well. Can play zone or man equally well. Fast (4.32est) with an explosive closing burst. Can run with all WRs downfield. Shows good hands and body control. Good kick returner with the ability to score every time he touches the football.

Although, could do a better job getting into his position. Must improve technique as an open field tackler. Tends to stop his feet too often, diving at the ballcarrier instead of wrapping him up. Will gamble on WRs' double moves and gets turned around at times.

One of the up and coming CBs in this class, Wilson has been overshadowed by cornerback prospects from bigger programs, but he is as good (if not better) that many of them. He will become a solid pro.

I didn't study up on him. I heard a bunch about him senior bowl week and really liked everything I heard. Then on a Rams board everybody was bitching about his tackling. He is undersized, the tackling bull**** I got 3rd hand.

They said he did 25 225's at the combine on ESPN. So if that is true he is strong. That is more than McCoy, geez. He is 195-200. Not tall. I read that tackling stuff too. He better pick that up. Cromartie, too. Don't want to anger the Big Guy.

You were misinformed.

See the links above and below. It is a concern for some teams. Not the Jets.

Bench pressing and strength do not equal tackling. Being a big hitter isn't being a good tackler either. They say he dives and swipes at legs and is a cover corner that doesn't always look to mix it up. He is strong, so it may not be an issue, but most teams will stress it more than the Jets.

Sources:

While BB was at a Rutgers coaches symposium, he met with McCourty and watched film together. Afterwards, BB went to watch his son play Rutgers lacrosse. BB stated that he wanted McCourty all along because he can play "all four downs - you don't find that versatility often" - now we shall see how that works out, but I believe he wanted him. BB's connection to Rutgers is strong - for good or bad.

Every year the draft process becomes a dick measuring contest for GM's and Coaches to say they "outsmarted" each other and got the guy they really wanted. I remember hearing stories about Don Shula spreading a rumor that Dan Marino was a cocaine addict so he'd fall to the Dolphins late in Round 1.

Every year the draft process becomes a dick measuring contest for GM's and Coaches to say they "outsmarted" each other and got the guy they really wanted. I remember hearing stories about Don Shula spreading a rumor that Dan Marino was a cocaine addict so he'd fall to the Dolphins late in Round 1.

Those weren't rumors just spread by Shula, those issues were known by the entire NFL, because Marino did experiment in college

Archived