Cimini says Jets stole Wilson from Vikes

NIGHT STALKER

By Rich Cimini

About five minutes before he was selected by the Jets, Boise State CB Kyle Wilson received a phone call from the Vikings. Made sense, considering the Vikings owned the 30th pick, one spot behind the Jets.

"I don't know if they were trying to hold me on the line, but I got a call, and then somehow the phone hung up," Wilson told New York reporters on a conference call.

Maybe the Vikings hung up when the Jets chose him at No. 29. What transpired seems rather obvious: The Vikings wanted him and, when they couldn't get him, they traded out of the 30th spot, working a deal with the Lions. The Lions took Cal RB Jahvid Best in that slot.

If the Jets stole Wilson from the Vikings, it wouldn't be the first time that happened in a Jets-Vikings situation. Let's go back to 2004. Antoine Winfield was a free agent and the Jets put on the hard sell. They had him in their facility, even had him wearing a Jets jersey as the agent and team officials finalized a contract. It was a done deal. Then, just like that, he was gone.

Then-Vikings coach Mike Tice arranged for a private jet to fly to Long Island, pick up Winfield and fly him to Minnesota, where he ended up signing a blockbuster contact. Wilson hasn't reached Winfield's stature, but maybe all these years later, the Jets finally got some revenge.

This article just makes me smile in joy at Tanny and Rex leading this franchise. When you think back to the Bradway/Herm era when we were a 2nd-rate franchise that always had to settle for plan B in free agency and in draft picks...

Remember Jon Lynch? Winfield? Instead we settle for David Barrett and Reggie Tongue. I forget which receiver we were giving the hard sell to and we had to settle for Curtis Conway...

Has Tanny given the hard sell to anyone in his five years as GM here that has turned us down? Alan Faneca? Check. Damien Woody? Check. Kris Jenkins? check. Calvin Pace? Check. Bart Scott? Check. Jim Leonhard? Check. Ladanian Tomlinson? Check. Jason Taylor? Check.

Unreal the job he has done for us.

I almost get the feeling if he was GM a year or two earlier we'd be opening our brand new stadium in midtown Manhattan come September as well, for better or for worse.

I don't think this makes sense. Minnesota definitely wanted Robinson, and I can't see how they'd trade down and risk losing him too after just missing on Wilson.

That doesn't make sense either.

If they wanted Robinson so bad, why did they trade back? They didn't get much from the trade back.

It makes sense that they'd want Robinson, but not over Wilson if Wilson was there at 30.

Archived