Welcome Vladimir Ducasse!

PS17

stamford kid !!!

everything I am reading has him as a late first to mid second rounder, huge kid with upside, like michael oher, started playing football late in life

I don't think this means faneca is a goner, the kid isn't ready yet

love him as versitile depth and probably goal line and short yardage extra blocker...

If you're going to use a pick on an FCS player, a CAA player is the way to go. UMass was good-not-great this year. I don't know if he will play this year or if he's a forward-looking pick, but Faneca and Woody are getting long in the tooth, so he will get a chance at the starting job eventually.

Yeah, I guess. Didn't like the pick. We have the best line in the league with our 5 starters. I don't think a team on the verge of a SB run (Or at least hoping to be) should be drafting O-line depth in the 2nd round, which leads me to believe Faneca has become expendable.

We've either taken something that isn't broken and tried to fix it up (With the possibility of making it even stronger, I wont deny that) or else we're providing solid depth behind a line that has held together for 2 years.

Meh. Welcome.

BC is gonna love this kid - check him out at the combine:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d816e469b/2010-Combine-workout-Vlad-Ducasse

And a review:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OT/Vladimir-Ducasse.php

Vladimir Ducasse Height: 6-4⅜ | Weight: 332 | 40-Time: 5.27 vladimirducasse.jpg

Official Bio

three.gif Strengths:

Excellent size with a huge frame and long arms --- Tough, physical and aggressive --- Very strong --- Good athleticism and agility --- Quick and fires off the snap --- Light on his feet --- Gets an outstanding push in the run game --- Stout at the point of attack and can anchor --- Mobile with range to pull, get out in space and reach the second level --- Is feisty and competitive with a nasty on-field demeanor --- Zealous work ethic --- Is versatile --- Durable --- Experienced --- Considerable upside.

Weaknesses:

Questionable instincts and awareness --- Inconsistent leverage and pad level --- Footwork will need to be refined --- Average slide and mirror ability --- Trouble sustaining and falls off blocks --- Concentration and focus will wane at times --- Did not face a lot of quality competition.

Notes:

Last name is pronounced "DOO-cahss" --- Was a three-year starter for the Minutemen --- Born in Port Au Prince, Haiti and didn't come to the United States until 2002, when he was 14-years-old --- Earned 1st Team FCS All-American honors in 2009 --- Named 1st Team All-CAA in 2008 and 2009 --- Also fluent in French and Creole and didn't learn English until his freshman year of high school --- Was a team captain as a senior --- Could project to either tackle or guard at the next level and has experience at both positions --- Still raw and relatively new to the game but is an extremely intriguing prospect with all the physical tools as well as the top - notch intangibles needed to maximize his potential.

Yeah, I guess. Didn't like the pick. We have the best line in the league with our 5 starters. I don't think a team on the verge of a SB run (Or at least hoping to be) should be drafting O-line depth in the 2nd round, which leads me to believe Faneca has become expendable.

We've either taken something that isn't broken and tried to fix it up (With the possibility of making it even stronger, I wont deny that) or else we're providing solid depth behind a line that has held together for 2 years.

Meh. Welcome.

injuries, age and contract demands will bust up the line , maybe as soon as next year

this was a great pick

Vlad is very raw... and doesn't have big time experience... but has everything else you want out of an offensive lineman prospect.

note he's considered an OG/RT prospect (not LT)

faneca and woody are both getting older. Woody missed time last year... they might not start Vlad day 1 (they could use Hunter/Turner this year) cause he needs seasoning.

But has serious upside and at the risk of sounding crass, alot to play for with the disasters in the home land of Haiti. This kid isn't gonna be "making it rain" or engaging in other nonsense, he's got too many people to help. I like the pick B- or so but it's probably the end of Faneca. tough to replace a 9x pro bowler with a kid from UMass.

Let's call it like it is...he's a project. If anyone can develope this kid, Callahan can. I still want an edge rusher though...:cry:

Let's call it like it is...it's a transparent attempt to lure additional fans to the Jet fanbase from the evergrowing Russian population in NYC.

j/k!

I hope he works out better than the last OL they took from N.E., some guy from New Hampshire, who was supposed to step in to replace ...what was that applehead's name again- the guy they stuck in the rookie dorm in TC.

i remember seeing vlad at senior bowl... he was very good in run blocking, adequate as a guard but not a left tackle in pass rushing

but while all this is happening i think it was like a few days after this disaster in haiti. He doesn't know where some of his family was... had to be very emotional... he pulled himself together and acted like a professional under very difficult circumstances

i remember thinking that these other prospects, if it doesn't work out for them... what's the worst that can happen, they live in their parent's basement? Vlad Ducasse has a nation of people to help, failure is not an option.

this is a shrewd pick by the Jets, the fact that Callahan is the OL coach makes it possibly an excellent pick. Right now it's not that exciting... and he's probably a few years out.

Meh. Welcome.

i didn't like it because i think we could have waited for him. i wish cody would have made it to us.

i remember seeing vlad at senior bowl... he was very good in run blocking, adequate as a guard but not a left tackle in pass rushing

but while all this is happening i think it was like a few days after this disaster in haiti. He doesn't know where some of his family was... had to be very emotional... he pulled himself together and acted like a professional under very difficult circumstances

i remember thinking that these other prospects, if it doesn't work out for them... what's the worst that can happen, they live in their parent's basement? Vlad Ducasse has a nation of people to help, failure is not an option.

this is a shrewd pick by the Jets, the fact that Callahan is the OL coach makes it possibly an excellent pick. Right now it's not that exciting... and he's probably a few years out.

I like the pick...But I think we could've waited a few rounds and gotten a similar type of project. Usually 2nd round picks are supposed to be contributers at some point in their rookie years...

Great pick! Mental toughness is what this guy is all about. Great to see the JETS fortify the lines especially with his upside.

I'd heard he had made a strong impression during the Senior Bowl...didn't know about his family in Haiti.

Could start at guard and eventually take over for Woody.

Like this pick a lot.

:cheers:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offensive Tackle | Massachusetts | SR Vladimir Ducasse

Height: 6-4⅜ | Weight: 332 | 40-Time: 5.27

Official Bio

Strengths:

Excellent size with a huge frame and long arms --- Tough, physical and aggressive --- Very strong --- Good athleticism and agility --- Quick and fires off the snap --- Light on his feet --- Gets an outstanding push in the run game --- Stout at the point of attack and can anchor --- Mobile with range to pull, get out in space and reach the second level --- Is feisty and competitive with a nasty on-field demeanor --- Zealous work ethic --- Is versatile --- Durable --- Experienced --- Considerable upside.

Weaknesses:

Questionable instincts and awareness --- Inconsistent leverage and pad level --- Footwork will need to be refined --- Average slide and mirror ability --- Trouble sustaining and falls off blocks --- Concentration and focus will wane at times --- Did not face a lot of quality competition.

Notes:

Last name is pronounced "DOO-cahss" --- Was a three-year starter for the Minutemen --- Born in Port Au Prince, Haiti and didn't come to the United States until 2002, when he was 14-years-old --- Earned 1st Team FCS All-American honors in 2009 --- Named 1st Team All-CAA in 2008 and 2009 --- Also fluent in French and Creole and didn't learn English until his freshman year of high school --- Was a team captain as a senior --- Could project to either tackle or guard at the next level and has experience at both positions --- Still raw and relatively new to the game but is an extremely intriguing prospect with all the physical tools as well as the top - notch intangibles needed to maximize his potential.

I LOVE this pick. This is how top teams pick, taking care of problems before they arise, using value picks for line depth. I know Rex loves him some CBs, so that's fine too. It used to be rounds 1-3 in the first day I think, so I've always said you want to spend at least 1 first day pick on O-line every other year or so. Not every pick is going to pan out, and sometimes you'll get injuries and players falling off, so you do this and you'll never have an OL collapse and will still have at least a functioning OL and hopefully top 10 one at worst.

Woody and Faneca are fine for now, but who knows what happens in 2 years? Or what if somebody goes down with injury? You don't want to lose the entire season because 2 guys went down with injury on your line. Always have at least 1 extra!

Reese and Coughlin both say they're not trading him.

If they are not lying, I think I would take a shot at Greg Hardy in the 4th.

Guys a great pass rusher, who seems to have lost his mind. Came to the Combine at 281, and out of shape.

Can be a good pass rusher

If they are not lying, I think I would take a shot at Greg Hardy in the 4th.

Guys a great pass rusher, who seems to have lost his mind. Came to the Combine at 281, and out of shape.

Can be a good pass rusher

I really wonder what ever happened to that guy...Going to the season Hardy was a likely top 15 pick assuming he could stay healthy. He didn't, and even when he was healthy he underperformed his immense ability. If he can get his weight down to say 260-65, which really shouldn't be terribly difficult since he played at that weight most of his college career, then he is probably worth the risk in the 4th. Just do not assume that you know what you are going to get out of a kid like this...

Like I said before, the reason this gets you questioning it is because Jets fans are used to the sexy picks. What do I mean? Trading up for Darrelle Revis, Mark Sanchez, David Harris, Shonn Greene.

Now we pick a OL, and some of you guys are like WTF. However, in two years, we'll be thankful that we took him. The Jets you see today will be the same Jets you see in 10 years. They obviously are commited to running the ball and playing defense.

Our line from the LT-LG-C positions will be locked for another 10 years.

Like I said before, the reason this gets you questioning it is because Jets fans are used to the sexy picks. What do I mean? Trading up for Darrelle Revis, Mark Sanchez, David Harris, Shonn Greene.

Now we pick a OL, and some of you guys are like WTF. However, in two years, we'll be thankful that we took him. The Jets you see today will be the same Jets you see in 10 years. They obviously are commited to running the ball and playing defense.

Our line from the LT-LG-C positions will be locked for another 10 years.

I think Tanny and Rex want to have an entirely homegrown OL. If Faneca was indeed cut, 4/5 of them will be players drafted by the Jets...And we have a couple options as to who will take over for Woody and be the 5th.

Archived