Alan Faneca Waived: MERGED

NJ

Not that sad to see him go.

All I see is Randy Starks dominating him in the second Miami game. He is a dreadful pass blocker at this point.

I have faith that a replacement will be ready, or they'll bring him back for a lot less money.

As someone said, he's been living on his reputation for a while now.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched Jets Nation last night after the draft and Terry Bradway was on and he said that this new kid would be in competition for playing time. It seemed strange to me and then they came back after a commercial with the Faneca news.

All I know is one thing; I don't know how to run an NFL team nor do I KNOW more than the guys currently running the Jets. I say trust the process and that this isn't 2006 all over again. We have Bill Callahan running this OL and Mangold is the best center in the game now and strangely enough, I haven't heard Ferguson referred to as D'Bust in a long, long time. Somebody who will not be green and untested like a Turner, Slauson or Hunter will get first dibs and DuCasse if he blows them away might even be given the nod.

Not that sad to see him go.

All I see is Randy Starks dominating him in the second Miami game. He is a dreadful pass blocker at this point.

I have faith that a replacement will be ready, or they'll bring him back for a lot less money.

As someone said, he's been living on his reputation for a while now.

Would you agree that our running game was key last year and not our passing game? If we all of a sudden are abandoning our philosophy of run and pound game (Rex's term), I can understand this move.

Would you agree that our running game was key last year and not our passing game? If we all of a sudden are abandoning our philosophy of run and pound game (Rex's term), I can understand this move.

I agree. Last year.

Rex has openly said that this team has to become more balanced, and it will as Sanchez matures. Look at all the toys we've picked up. Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, LT. These are all designed to help the PASSING. We ran the ball 60% of the time last year. I'd imagine it'll be between 50-55% this year. Faneca was the weak link in the passing game. Faneca is already one of the worst pass blocking guards in the league, and he's old. I'm fine with the move. This is designed to help the passing game in the short run, and it'll help the whole line in the long run.

Faneca was not gonna be here past this year anyway.

faneca lives on reputation

a reputation earned about 5 years ago

he was the worst pass blocker on the unit, and due to make tons of dough

I thought he'd get another year, but the fact the jets cut him, and couldn't trade him during the NFL draft for crying out loud, means there is no market for him

he was the weakest link

good bye !

Another thing people are not considering is he will be another year older. That may not sound very profound, but for football players in their 30s who are already in the decline, each year is a dog year.

I watched Jets Nation last night after the draft and Terry Bradway was on and he said that this new kid would be in competition for playing time. It seemed strange to me and then they came back after a commercial with the Faneca news.

All I know is one thing; I don't know how to run an NFL team nor do I KNOW more than the guys currently running the Jets. I say trust the process and that this isn't 2006 all over again. We have Bill Callahan running this OL and Mangold is the best center in the game now and strangely enough, I haven't heard Ferguson referred to as D'Bust in a long, long time. Somebody who will not be green and untested like a Turner, Slauson or Hunter will get first dibs and DuCasse if he blows them away might even be given the nod.

D'Bust is long gone.

It's D'Elite now. ;)

D'Bust is long gone.

It's D'Elite now. ;)

for the first time really, in a LONG time I feel I can trust this team to do what's right-and that comes from Rex Ryan-he has given this team it's identity-he's right up there in Parcells/ Belichick land when it comes to a team being called by a coach's name, Rex Ryan's Jets

Hunter (28), Turner (25) and Slausen (24) are on the team.

With Faneca cut and Vlad in place, our depth will pretty much be the same.

I hope Slausen earns the starting job. That will look favorable on the Jets development plans.

Stupid, stupid decision.

You cut a player who the Jets currently have no proven player on the roster to replace him with in an uncapped year. Faneca was not horrible. He wasn't great either, but he's still a good player and this is a questionable move.

Don't like it. This move was all about the $.

How do you KNOW it isn't a football move?

His numbers are on the decline... the other two rooks have years of experience now it is a good time to put in some fresh blood.

BZ

Because the person who broke the story (Mike Lombardi last week) said it was a financial decision.

Stupid, stupid decision.

You cut a player who the Jets currently have no proven player on the roster to replace him with in an uncapped year. Faneca was not horrible. He wasn't great either, but he's still a good player and this is a questionable move.

+1

We can only hope it works out.

If it's a talent issue, they should let Faneca compete with Vlad, Slausen & Hunter for the starting job and then cut him in camp. The Jets have to pay him anyway.

I'll just say this... great teams know when to get rid of old fellas and plug in the new ones. They don't always get it right, but for the most part its part of how teams stay competitive for long stretches.

This was an opportunity to swap out old for new, in an area on the team where it wouldn't be a detriment. At the same time, the Jets saw that they needed veteran leadership in other units and they sought it out and got it... Holmes, Taylor and LT.

There always needs to be a balance of old and new, experience and youth... but it can't be sloppily distributed throughout the team. I like how the Jets FO is building each unit with a nice balance of veterans and young guys. Remember, we were one of the youngest teams in the league last year... if done right, Tanny can keep this thing competitive long after all the PSLs are sold (which is why I don't think this is all about them). So many pundits talk about the Jets being in win now mode... but they overlook that the Jets are truly in win now, win later mode... look at all the young home-grown talent we've got.

Releasing Alan Faneca is a bit of a bummer, but its probably the right thing to do... his skillset was drastically diminished when we initially overpaid for him... and now is a great time to get some new blood on the line, remember we have 4 very accomplished veterans still on the line and I read yesterday somewhere that Dook-ass projects as an upgrade, so trust in Tanny, Rex, Schotty, and Callahan in this case.

+1

We can only hope it works out.

If it's a talent issue, they should let Faneca compete with Vlad, Slausen & Hunter for the starting job and then cut him in camp. The Jets have to pay him anyway.

we'll be alright SMC-Callahan knows what he's doing on that OL and with all the extra O-linemen that were shuffling in and out all last year this will NOT be Adrien Clarke all over again-Wayne Hunter is 6'5" 300+lbs I can see him in there

we'll be alright SMC-Callahan knows what he's doing on that OL and with all the extra O-linemen that were shuffling in and out all last year this will NOT be Adrien Clarke all over again-Wayne Hunter is 6'5" 300+lbs I can see him in there

Wayne Hunter is our backup T. If you move him to G you have no depth at T. Zlitch.

The job will be long to Slausen, Ducasse, or Turner.

I'll just say this... great teams know when to get rid of old fellas and plug in the new ones. They don't always get it right, but for the most part its part of how teams stay competitive for long stretches.

This was an opportunity to swap out old for new, in an area on the team where it wouldn't be a detriment. At the same time, the Jets saw that they needed veteran leadership in other units and they sought it out and got it... Holmes, Taylor and LT.

There always needs to be a balance of old and new, experience and youth... but it can't be sloppily distributed throughout the team. I like how the Jets FO is building each unit with a nice balance of veterans and young guys. Remember, we were one of the youngest teams in the league last year... if done right, Tanny can keep this thing competitive long after all the PSLs are sold (which is why I don't think this is all about them). So many pundits talk about the Jets being in win now mode... but they overlook that the Jets are truly in win now, win later mode... look at all the young home-grown talent we've got.

Releasing Alan Faneca is a bit of a bummer, but its probably the right thing to do... his skillset was drastically diminished when we initially overpaid for him... and now is a great time to get some new blood on the line, remember we have 4 very accomplished veterans still on the line and I read yesterday somewhere that Dook-ass projects as an upgrade, so trust in Tanny, Rex, Schotty, and Callahan in this case.

what a great post-I like Twitter and all, but you can't get insight like this in 143 words or less

Stupid, stupid decision.

Until we're speaking in past tense, it's uncertain that this will prove to have been a good move.

But the reality is that with this rationale, by many here (and more to come in the media, for sure), this team should only put seasoned veterans on the line to replace seasoned veterans. We should never again draft someone and use him unless an accident occurs, whereby that draftee is thrust into the starting role because of a starter's mid-season injury.

Take Slauson for example. The reality is he may be so terrible that he's unworthy of being the #2 backup at any position along the line, and his roster spot will be taken by a UDFA before July is over. And he also may be a stud that we plucked away in the 6th round.

With the GM'ing and coaching on this website and in the media, the Jets would never, ever find a diamond in the rough because a nearly $8M salary for a futrue HOF veteran, who isn't at Adrien Clarke levels, says he is the starter.

Then the complaints, instead, are that the Jets never get anyone good in the later rounds. The question then becomes "Why can't we find any late-rounders and UDFA's and must we always get our starters through high-priced free agency and trading away our draft picks?"

I'm a little concerned about the timing. The only thing obviously gained by cutting him now is that the Jets would have to pay his salary (yes, in an uncapped year) if he got hurt over the summer. There may be peripheral problems with cutting him later, like team issues with cutting someone of his (name) stature later on as opposed to doing it in April. Hell, there may have been some grumbling behind the scenes with the weakest link on OL being the highest-paid. The players know this & it never sits well, knowing you're better than someone making 2-4X what you're making.

Overall, at this point until more information comes out, I'm still in wait & see mode. The advantage to doing this now, instead of planning it in advance for a June-July-August cut, is that the remaining starting OL'men and the offensive coaches know who they have to work with from day one: these are our guys; now everyone pull together, make it work, and make it better than before.

Wayne Hunter is our backup T. If you move him to G you have no depth at T. Zlitch.

Exactly. That's the only way the Jets maintain their depth.

I hope it's Slausen.

I'll be pleasantly surprised (and impressed) if Vlad the Pancaker can make that leap from 1-AA LT to NFL LG.

thanks 230-Turner also got a lot of PT last year-I wonder how he graded out from the guys at ProFootballFocus-who are the coolest thing to come around in a LONG time IMO. They look at every single play and grade players' performance.

thanks 230-Turner also got a lot of PT last year-I wonder how he graded out from the guys at ProFootballFocus-who are the coolest thing to come around in a LONG time IMO. They look at every single play and grade players' performance.

230? Did you forget who I am, Jimmy? ;)

Exactly. That's the only way the Jets maintain their depth.

I hope it's Slausen.

I'll be pleasantly surprised (and impressed) if Vlad the Pancaker can make that leap from 1-AA LT to NFL LG.

Same here. But to assume that he is just going to come in and dominate is foolish and some people on the interwebz are doing just that. Slausen and Ducasse are HUGE question marks. All we can do is hope and pray that the move turns out to be a good one and not the next Pete Kendall-Adrien Clarke situation.

I remember plenty of plays when Fanaca just got completely blown up on passing plays. I don't remember the exact games, but I remember one earlier in the year where he got shoved right back into Sanchez and Sanchez fumbled the ball. Then there was the infamous back to back sacks given up against Starks.

It's not that Fanaca was giving up sacks, that I could almost forgive. It was HOW he was giving them up, getting completely manhandled, that bothered me more.

Until we're speaking in past tense, it's uncertain that this will prove to have been a good move.

But the reality is that with this rationale, by many here (and more to come in the media, for sure), this team should only put seasoned veterans on the line to replace seasoned veterans. We should never again draft someone and use him unless an accident occurs, whereby that draftee is thrust into the starting role because of a starter's mid-season injury.

Take Slauson for example. The reality is he may be so terrible that he's unworthy of being the #2 backup at any position along the line, and his roster spot will be taken by a UDFA before July is over. And he also may be a stud that we plucked away in the 6th round.

With the GM'ing and coaching on this website and in the media, the Jets would never, ever find a diamond in the rough because a nearly $8M salary for a futrue HOF veteran, who isn't at Adrien Clarke levels, says he is the starter.

Then the complaints, instead, are that the Jets never get anyone good in the later rounds. The question then becomes "Why can't we find any late-rounders and UDFA's and must we always get our starters through high-priced free agency and trading away our draft picks?"

I'm a little concerned about the timing. The only thing obviously gained by cutting him now is that the Jets would have to pay his salary (yes, in an uncapped year) if he got hurt over the summer. There may be peripheral problems with cutting him later, like team issues with cutting someone of his (name) stature later on as opposed to doing it in April. Hell, there may have been some grumbling behind the scenes with the weakest link on OL being the highest-paid. The players know this & it never sits well, knowing you're better than someone making 2-4X what you're making.

Overall, at this point until more information comes out, I'm still in wait & see mode. The advantage to doing this now, instead of planning it in advance for a June-July-August cut, is that the remaining starting OL'men and the offensive coaches know who they have to work with from day one: these are our guys; now everyone pull together, make it work, and make it better than before.

Something to think about...

If Adrien Clarke never happens, do we even blink an eye at this move?

Jets fans are still shell-shocked.

Same here. But to assume that he is just going to come in and dominate is foolish and some people on the interwebz are doing just that. Slausen and Ducasse are HUGE question marks. All we can do is hope and pray that the move turns out to be a good one and not the next Pete Kendall-Adrien Clarke situation.

Exactly my point made above.

Nothing Alan Fancea did could be worthy of the label 'dominate', and you're invoking memories of a disaster when we cut a guy way too late and had no viable replacement.

It's no wonder Fancea makes the Pro Bowl every year. Even Jets fans are still mystified by his name.

He's a Left Guard, and even though one time we struggled to replace a Left Guard, they're just about the easiest position on the team to replace, and having a big name, or a pro bowler there is a luxury. A lot of teams have won a lot of big games and championships without one.

I think it really all goes back to something Sperm said last night early on in the thread. If you have no intentions of handing the starting job to Faneca again this year, then you just can't keep him. Its the same exact reason Jones is no longer a Jet. Taking a highly respected, veteran leader on the team and replacing them with a much younger, raw player is a recipe for disaster unless the veteran player is 100% ok with the move. Not only will it cause problems with players in the lockerroom in terms of being unhappy about one of their leaders being benched, it also puts an unfair amount of pressure on the replacement player. With Faneca being cut, its an "out of sight, out of mind" situation. A couple of people may have a problem with it in the short term, but by the time camp comes around and the Jets have guys like Ducasse and Hunter out there and stepping up and playing the position, it will be completely forgotten.

Furthermore, with the exception of the Kendall fiasco, which was based entirely on their problems with a player, what reason do we have to believe that the Jets would get rid of someone without feeling comfortable with his replacement? Obviously the Jets would love Ducasse to step up and be the guy they hoped he'd be right out of the gate, but even if not you can't tell me the Jets don't feel at least somewhat confident that one of Hunter, Slauson or Turner can step in and be solid.

And don't forget, whoever this player is gets to step in between Brick and Mangold, making his job a whole lot easier. Keep in mind, before Moore was a quality veteran OG for the Jets, he was some no-name kid who stepped into the starting lineup, and managed to do pretty well for himself thanks in part to getting play between Mawae and McKenzie. The Jets may not have a dominant option where when all is said and done, but the Jets will still have a high-quality OL and this move will not change that.

I completely, 100 % trust Rex-Tanny-Callahan on this one. That trio, with the input of Callahan, should be trusted completely when it comes to OL decisions.

Did we really want to see an ugly competition for the LG spot this offseason, with a decent chance that Faneca wins the job solely because of how much he's paid and because he's a veteran?

Its a better FOOTBALL move, not just financial, to cut him now. Plus, it gives Faneca a chance to sign on elsewhere. And if he can't, you might just seem as a Jet for a reduced price in 2010, albeit as a backup.

WOW. They are screwing with the best unit on the team in an uncapped year because of money. Can't say I am happy about this.

If they didn't have 18 reps to pay hawking PSLs would money be as much of an issue for them? And the crazy ads they are putting all over the place.

I hope this kid is ready. Just hate to see cost cutting moves when they are so close.

I got another call from the Jets last week..and the girl said on the message ''I KNOW YOU'RE A JETS FAN''!!! :rl:

Yes, I'm a Jets fan. But I'm not a dumb Jets fan ;)

look....i trust rex ryan more than i've trusted any other coach since the fat team jumping slob. if they cut faneca and don't bring him back then i'm gonne give them them the benefit of the doubt and figure that they are making the right decision. fnaeca's play has obviouslt degraded to the point where he is no longer close to the faneca of old. these guys want to win a superbowl......they're not gonna make a significant downgrade now over a coupla million dollars.

NY Jets Cut Alan Faneca

This move is disturbing for a few reasons:

2. Alan Faneca was a leader on this team. The Jets have imported drama by the truck load this off-season (Jason Taylor, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie). And they need all the leadership they can get. Add in the departure of another offensive leader in Thomas Jones and you are putting a lot of pressure on Mark Sanchez.

3. This is a cost cutting move, not a football move. Faneca isn

Archived