Alan Faneca Waived: MERGED

NJ

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get this **** at all...you owe him 5.25 mil anyway right??

In an uncapped year why not at least keep him, everyone blows their load about how he helped D'Brick and Mangold, maybe he could help Duncasse...

Every report on this kid talks about how raw he is..

They pay coaches for this.

So TJ, Washington and now Faneca. I am sorry but that is alot of leadership out the window. Rex and Tanny better hope this doesnt implode on them...

Mangold, Leonhard and Scott are still around to keep the boys straight. And its safe to assume our QB turns into a leader soon enough.

This is a business, and players understand it. The anger over Faneca, like the anger over Jones, will subside once the players have a job to do.

Mangold, Leonhard and Scott are still around to keep the boys straight. And its safe to assume our QB turns into a leader soon enough.

This is a business, and players understand it. The anger over Faneca, like the anger over Jones, will subside once the players have a job to do.

We still do have Revis, Mangold, Dbrick, Scott, Harris, Jenkins, Lenohard, Brandon Moore, Dimen Woody, Jericho Cotchery on the roster... Theres still a lot of leadership left. Now Sanchez and Greene get to step into bigger leadership roles as well.

So TJ, Washington and now Faneca. I am sorry but that is alot of leadership out the window. Rex and Tanny better hope this doesnt implode on them...

This was a fear of mine too.. but then when I thought about it.. how much leadership did Washington offer? He was out most of last season.. yeah he was still around the facilities, but I doubt he was around so much to really offer much as a leader.

I think Faneca is a loss, but Mangold Brick and Woody all offer a lot of leadership on the line.

TJ is definitely a loss.. maybe Greene can step up as a leader back there. We also still have T-Rich

I'd like to take the highlighted part a step further and say once we see there are improvements.

He is on his last legs and think we have guys ready to step in. but he's does have some life left. 7.5, lets be real the jets were not gonna pay that. lets just hope we resign him at .... lets say 3.5

Jets had to pay 5mil + to cut him... if they re-sign him for 3 million+, then cutting him makes no sense.

Faneca refused to take a pay cut

Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2010 1:09 PM ET

As it turns out, guard Alan Faneca could have stayed with the Jets, if he'd simply been willing to reduce his salary of $7.5 million.

Per a league source, Faneca refused. And so he's gone.

The tampering rules notwithstanding, Faneca's agent presumably gauged the market to see if Faneca could get a better deal elsewhere. If so, look for Faneca to land with a new team soon.

Faneca refused to take a pay cut

Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2010 1:09 PM ET

As it turns out, guard Alan Faneca could have stayed with the Jets, if he'd simply been willing to reduce his salary of $7.5 million.

Per a league source, Faneca refused. And so he's gone.

The tampering rules notwithstanding, Faneca's agent presumably gauged the market to see if Faneca could get a better deal elsewhere. If so, look for Faneca to land with a new team soon.

Good riddance!

I hope someone is stupid enough to sign him.

Then we're off the hook for the $5 mill right?

Good riddance!

I hope someone is stupid enough to sign him.

Then we're off the hook for the $5 mill right?

no Brook-we PAY him 5.25 to go away...so don't shed too many tears for the Faneca family today folks-none of us will ever recieve a golden parachute like that

no Brook-we PAY him 5.25 to go away...so don't shed too many tears for the Faneca family today folks-none of us will ever recieve a golden parachute like that
Yeah but if he signs elsewhere doesn't that get us off the hook for the $5.25?

RichCimini Source: Jets owe Alan Faneca $5.25 mil no matter what. Final bill: $20 mil for 2 yrs. Ouch!
It was a ridiculous contract, he was over rated and declining when we got him.

At least he, helped D'brick and Mangold's development.

It doesn't get much worse than Jones running into the back of Faneca and falling down on first contact. Both are gone. Enter young blood.

Hey do me a favor and go to youtube and search up the Chargers/Jets PLAYOFF highlights. Find the Greene touchdown run. Try to actually watch that and see who was involved with that. K thx.

I ****ing told you that pick wasn't for the future.

Knew this was coming. He's been the weak link on the line for a while. Dom made a great point yesterday about Callaghan simply not liking him being a possibility. This kid Ducasse better be ready to go opening day. Otherwise this could be a disaster.

Haha! I'm not reading this whole thread, kudos to anyone who reads this far. :lol:

But, IMHO, Faneca was very overrated. He was brought in to stabilize the OL between the youngsters Mangold and D'Brick, and he did that. Nick is now probably the best center in football, and D'Brick is an upper level LT. They're at the level where they can help bring a young player (like Vlad) along between them, rather than needing the veteran help themselves anymore.

I'm also thinking that the quick cut of Faneca suggests that maybe there were more issues with him besides just his declining play on the field.

I really don't think we're going to miss him.

Haha! I'm not reading this whole thread, kudos to anyone who reads this far. :lol:

But, IMHO, Faneca was very overrated. He was brought in to stabilize the OL between the youngsters Mangold and D'Brick, and he did that. Nick is now probably the best center in football, and D'Brick is an upper level LT. They're at the level where they can help bring a young player (like Vlad) along between them, rather than needing the veteran help themselves anymore.

I'm also thinking that the quick cut of Faneca suggests that maybe there were more issues with him besides just his declining play on the field.

I really don't think we're going to miss him.

True Dat!

If you are pissed Faneca is gone cause you like him or don't think he was a liability last year (which at many times he WAS), that is fine. But please, STOP calling it a "money move." $5.5 of his $7.5M is guaranteed and the Jets are STILL paying it to him. You really think they cut him to save $2M?

They cut him because they obviously no longer thought he was the best man for the job. Woody has proven over, and over (and OVER) he is willing to spend whatever money it takes to improve this team's roster. You don't cut a would be starter over $2M.

Callahan obviously gave this move his blessing. All Rex ever talks about is how Callahan is the best OLine coach in the NFL. If Callahan told Mike, Rex, and Woody, "No. Don't do it. We need him!" He would still be on the team and we wouldn't have spent a 2nd round pick on a Guard.

That can't be. Because that would invalidate all the comments from people whining that this was a money move and nothing else. lol

FYI, the only reason people called it a money move is that Mike Lombardi (the original source of the Faneca will be cut rumor) said the Jets were releasing Faneca purely because of money.

Lombardi cited weak PSL sales and cost cutting as the reason the Jets would be getting rid of Faneca.

Hey do me a favor and go to youtube and search up the Chargers/Jets PLAYOFF highlights. Find the Greene touchdown run. Try to actually watch that and see who was involved with that. K thx.

Do me a favor and watch the tape where Faneca allowed our franchise QB to get sacked 7 times this year, despite throwing fewer times than any NFL team. K thx.

1 very good postseason game does not allow an aging, expensive, one-dimensional lineman to keep his job in NFL circles.

I ****ing told you that pick wasn't for the future.

Knew this was coming. He's been the weak link on the line for a while. Dom made a great point yesterday about Callaghan simply not liking him being a possibility. This kid Ducasse better be ready to go opening day. Otherwise this could be a disaster.

slauson is in the mix if he's not ready

Archived