It's official. I understand nothing!!!!

GREENBEAN

This draft has me baffled. Absolutely baffled!!!

Im at a loss for words. I am trying to justify these pics to myself by saying "they know what they're doing... They know what they're doing. They have a plan " but I can't see it.

I'm not a draft guru by any means. A lot of guys on here put me to shame with my knowledge of college prospects, but I really thought we would be getting some DL and LB help. Cutting faneca? I hope that's not real. Using two pics on Mcnight???

The pats have reinvented their entire team. i know they had more pics, but it makes sense to me. Our draft has me confused.

HELP ME

the jets had player ranked in a certian order on their board.....and when it came time to pick they picked the best player available according to their board, regardless of position. they must have felt mcknight was worth moving up ahead of a few teams to get.

Here is the deal. Kyle Wilson you understand.

Ducasse replaces Faneca who will cost us too much money for what he produces, this isn't happening without Callahan and crew feeling supremely confident that he can be replaced internally.

McKnight is Leon's replacement at some point because there is a very real possibility of us needing some fresh legs like his with uncertainty over LT's final seasons and Shonn Greene's potential for injury.

DL, Mike T has gone on the record speaking about how he likes UDFA. This is where we will pick up DL help. Remember our DL doesn't need special talents in Rex's defense, they are more like space eaters. So as long as they can hold up the point of attack then that is good enough for Rex. Essentially Rex can make chicken salad.

LB, all this clamoring for OLB pass rusher is overboard IMO. Once again in Rex's defense it is not one guy who is going to be producing the rush. Now if there was a special pass rusher available they wouldn't pass but Wilson had better value in the first and then in the 2nd, same deal with Ducasse.

I mean sometimes you gotta say F the board and get what your team NEEDS, this is horrible.

I agree, especially with all these DE/OLB still on the board. I guess they are really committed to 36yo Jason Taylor.

UDFA, it'll be alright. Have faith in Mike T.

good stuff Jetlag-also, Kyle Wilson is frigging FAST and will be a good blitzer-we didn't have the corner blitzes last year like we should have-he'll get a couple this year watch

Rex has made his bones on UDFA DL's and LB's... when you consider that and the talent we already have in our front-7... I don't think the FO views our needs the same way our fans do.

Admittedly, it would have been nice to get a DL in a draft with as much depth at that position as this one has, but I trust the guys building this team right now.

Honestly, their success rate is very high right now...

I think Tanny has gotten some accolades and has become a bit over-confident. He's putting together an all-Madden team via free-agency and pissing away draft picks like they've gone sour. Oh, and cutting decent, locker-room leaders that have earned their Jets Jerseys in favor of hiring divas and delinquents. Lose Faneca, Jones and Feely and take Taylor, Holmes, and Cromatie? Tomlinson? Braylon? (forget Favre) Uggh. U know what? I do not trust the process. I think we've taken a step back this offseason as a team. And we barely made the playoffs but for the Colts laying down last year. Sorry to piss on the parade, but I'm not crazy about the player turnover and the new holes (who the hell is kicking and punting?).

Why reach for a less talented player in a perceived position of need? If you can get a real value on the best available player, and you will need that player within 18 months (eg. Leon walks after 2010 and LT is a question mark), why would you not take talent over lesser talent?

I think Tanny has gotten some accolades and has become a bit over-confident. He's putting together an all-Madden team via free-agency and pissing away draft picks like they've gone sour. Oh, and cutting decent, locker-room leaders that have earned their Jets Jerseys in favor of hiring divas and delinquents. Lose Faneca, Jones and Feely and take Taylor, Holmes, and Cromatie? Tomlinson? Braylon? (forget Favre) Uggh. U know what? I do not trust the process. I think we've taken a step back this offseason as a team. And we barely made the playoffs but for the Colts laying down last year. Sorry to piss on the parade, but I'm not crazy about the player turnover and the new holes (who the hell is kicking and punting?).

WTF?

Regarding Faneca it's a matter of money and also letting a guy go one year early as opposed to one year late. That is what good GM's do. The fans will not always approve because they don't have all of the inner workings but I guarantee that the FO and CS would not let Faneca go just on a whim. It was well thought out and is being executed.

Things aren't always linear with the moves a GM makes. Sometimes they have to take smaller risks in order to reap rewards. In this case the reward will be having the ability to resign all of our foundation guys next year.

I hope we get some good UDFA DL...Lorenzo Washington from 'Bama hopefully. I really wish they got another shot at Cody.

The way the draft has been going...Wouldnt be surprised to see some pretty talented players available as UDFA. Players that normally would have the talent to go in the 5th or 6th rds..

If worrying about who's kicking (Folk) and punting (Zoltan/UDFA) is our biggest concern, we're in good shape.

We've handle locker room divas just fine. And they know they're out the door if they go over the line (See Kerry Rhodes). Braylon and Holmes are expendable seeing as we got them cheap and both have 1 year left on their deals. Cromartie isn't going to get his extension if he makes trouble either.

Cutting Faneca helps create LESS drama because you don't want an ineffective veteran fighting for his job and getting paid $7.5 million. The pressure would be on the coaching staff to hand him the job even though he's clearly a weak link.

If you don't trust the process at this point I don't know what to say to you. We traded up for Revis, Mangold, Keller, Sanchez, Greene and its worked so far. We didn't break the bank for all those "high risk" guys like Holmes, Braylon and Cromartie. We went to the AFC Title game last year with a rookie HC and rookie QB. We're in excellent hands, so until these moves this offseason do NOT work out, I'll trust them.

Regarding Faneca it's a matter of money and also letting a guy go one year early as opposed to one year late. That is what good GM's do. The fans will not always approve because they don't have all of the inner workings but I guarantee that the FO and CS would not let Faneca go just on a whim. It was well thought out and is being executed.

Things aren't always linear with the moves a GM makes. Sometimes they have to take smaller risks in order to reap rewards. In this case the reward will be having the ability to resign all of our foundation guys next year.

On the other hand, thats a reason I think we should have targeted a DE in the 4th...It makes Gholston, and his massively huge contract, expendable.

On the other hand, thats a reason I think we should have targeted a DE in the 4th...It makes Gholston, and his massively huge contract, expendable.

he gets one more shot this summer ggm-Rex said as much the other night "this is the year he has show us"

If worrying about who's kicking (Folk) and punting (Zoltan/UDFA) is our biggest concern, we're in good shape.

We've handle locker room divas just fine. And they know they're out the door if they go over the line (See Kerry Rhodes). Braylon and Holmes are expendable seeing as we got them cheap and both have 1 year left on their deals. Cromartie isn't going to get his extension if he makes trouble either.

Cutting Faneca helps create LESS drama because you don't want an ineffective veteran fighting for his job and getting paid $7.5 million. The pressure would be on the coaching staff to hand him the job even though he's clearly a weak link.

If you don't trust the process at this point I don't know what to say to you. We traded up for Revis, Mangold, Keller, Sanchez, Greene and its worked so far. We didn't break the bank for all those "high risk" guys like Holmes, Braylon and Cromartie. We went to the AFC Title game last year with a rookie HC and rookie QB. We're in excellent hands, so until these moves this offseason do NOT work out, I'll trust them.

ZOLTAN!!! ZOLTAN!!!

I don't think anything they've done this offseason gives any kind of indication that they plan to cut Gholston this offseason.

Gholston would be expendable if I was the depth at DE. DE is not that important from a pass rush perspective in Rex's defense. They are going to get DE depth I promise, it will just be in the form of UDFA. Plus don't be surprised if they re-sign Douglas. DE is not a position to worry about.

Mike T is on the case, he is an outside the box thinker. He has solutions to these problems even if we don't see them yet. The guy has earned at least some faith from us I feel.

An intelligent response. I suppose my isuue is the way Tanny spends his draft picks so freely, foregoing inexpensive rookie players for more expensive, stop-gap players. The payroll gets steep and suddenly we have to cut solid players to cover the costs. And depth suffers a bit. and we hire guys we wouldn't want to move next door to us. TJ was a good guy as is Faneca. Cromartie and Holmes are a deadbeat dad and drug addict--both cast-off by good teams. Meh. only time will tell if the team-unity we had last season holdss up or splinters, I guess.

An intelligent response. I suppose my isuue is the way Tanny spends his draft picks so freely, foregoing inexpensive rookie players for more expensive, stop-gap players. The payroll gets steep and suddenly we have to cut solid players to cover the costs. And depth suffers a bit. and we hire guys we wouldn't want to move next door to us. TJ was a good guy as is Faneca. Cromartie and Holmes are a deadbeat dad and drug addict--both cast-off by good teams. Meh. only time will tell if the team-unity we had last season holdss up or splinters, I guess.

it seems the Jets have taken an approach that asks for two starters out of the draft every year. I mean it's fun to watch Belichick play Uno with DP's every year but over the past few seasons he's had 69 picks to our 32 and we have like 24 of them still on the team and he has less than half

He's got one more year. Rex seemed to imply that on the NFL network channel the other night.

I saw that too Bill-who knows maybe going back to his original DE position will help him-maybe not, either way I'm done worrying about Gholston-you can't win 'em all bro

the jets defense likes to blitz, so they need all the healthy db's they can get to compete with teams that have a stable of WR's like the chargers and colts and saints

the offense like to run, so they needed a run blocker, a healthy RB and a FB for the ground and pound

this draft theme was get guys to let us blitz and cover up behind it, and ground and pound on offense

makes sense to me

it's not there is some moritorium on player movement after today, the jets can still trade for a DE or pick one up later

we have 4 QB's on the roster after all....I'd trade one of 'em for sure

As much as the fans here were concerned about improving the defense, the Jets themselves understood that it was the offense that needed the most help.

The defense runs on the strength of it's CB's. Those are the guys who hold the fort for Rex while he sends everyone else to wreak havoc. He got Wilson in the first, then went to work on his ground & pound offense. Wilson will also contribute on specials a lot.

Faneca out, Vlad in. Faneca helped develop Brick and Mangold, now Brick and Mangold will help develop Vlad. This will prove to be an upgrade. If Slauson wins this job, that's great, too. But I think Vlad starts at LG this year, and maybe moves to RT next year.

I hope LT has something to offer. McKnight should certainly pay attention and learn everything he can from him, especially on third down. Pass blocking as well as pass receiving, LT excels at both and they're skills that McKnight needs to learn - but I think we're going to see him on the field a lot on special teams, and on offense as the year wears on, too.

John Connor will compete for the starting FB job this year, and will be another guy who sees a lot of time on ST's.

The last three picks demonstrate the Jets' commitment to the running game. Making trades to acquire a RB and a FB to finish off their draft tells you just how important it is to them. By adding these players in addition to adding Holmes, the Jets offense has a chance to start catching up to it's #1 defense.

As much as the fans here were concerned about improving the defense, the Jets themselves understood that it was the offense that needed the most help.

The defense runs on the strength of it's CB's. Those are the guys who hold the fort for Rex while he sends everyone else to wreak havoc. He got Wilson in the first, then went to work on his ground & pound offense. Wilson will also contribute on specials a lot.

Faneca out, Vlad in. Faneca helped develop Brick and Mangold, now Brick and Mangold will help develop Vlad. This will prove to be an upgrade. If Slauson wins this job, that's great, too. But I think Vlad starts at LG this year, and maybe moves to RT next year.

I hope LT has something to offer. McKnight should certainly pay attention and learn everything he can from him, especially on third down. Pass blocking as well as pass receiving, LT excels at both and they're skills that McKnight needs to learn - but I think we're going to see him on the field a lot on special teams, and on offense as the year wears on, too.

John Connor will compete for the starting FB job this year, and will be another guy who sees a lot of time on ST's.

The last three picks demonstrate the Jets' commitment to the running game. Making trades to acquire a RB and a FB to finish off their draft tells you just how important it is to them. By adding these players in addition to adding Holmes, the Jets offense has a chance to start catching up to it's #1 defense.

Exactly. The Jets offense lost us some games last year, at least more then the Jets defense did. Our actions this offseason addressed what the FO and CS perceived as our biggest weaknesses on both sides and regardless of whether or not it results in a SB ring or a playoff appearance (I am very hopeful of both obviously)... I am proud to be a fan of this organization right now--one that finally seems to have come around from a thinking and forward-thinking standpoint. And one that is clearly determined to put the best team on the field year after year...

Here is the deal. Kyle Wilson you understand.

Ducasse replaces Faneca who will cost us too much money for what he produces, this isn't happening without Callahan and crew feeling supremely confident that he can be replaced internally.

McKnight is Leon's replacement at some point because there is a very real possibility of us needing some fresh legs like his with uncertainty over LT's final seasons and Shonn Greene's potential for injury.

DL, Mike T has gone on the record speaking about how he likes UDFA. This is where we will pick up DL help. Remember our DL doesn't need special talents in Rex's defense, they are more like space eaters. So as long as they can hold up the point of attack then that is good enough for Rex. Essentially Rex can make chicken salad.

LB, all this clamoring for OLB pass rusher is overboard IMO. Once again in Rex's defense it is not one guy who is going to be producing the rush. Now if there was a special pass rusher available they wouldn't pass but Wilson had better value in the first and then in the 2nd, same deal with Ducasse.

good explaination

Archived