Gholston at 3-4 DE?

TNJet

Whats this talk about playing Ghost at DE? i thought he is undersized for the 5 technique. Rex said to play him where he can get results in his press conference today...i'm lost. Explain.

His natural brute strength will make up for his "undersized" body for a 3-4 de. If he can get up to 275 that would be more than great.

Whats this talk about playing Ghost at DE? i thought he is undersized for the 5 technique. Rex said to play him where he can get results in his press conference today...i'm lost. Explain.
He has been and will be adding weight and bulking up.

Gholston sucks as an LB. He'll probably suck as a situational DE but they spent a ton of money on him so they want to give him one more chance to make some sort of contribution before kicking him to the curb.

People need to lighten up on strict height/weight requirements for the 3-4 defense. That was all part of Mangini's mind f--k. It wasn't his fault the defense sucked, his defensive end weighed 10 lbs to light for the 3-4. Wash everything Mangini ever said out of your brain, he was a BS artist.

There was no height/weight requirement in Mangini's D...no moreso than any other D. Barton was undersized...Ellis was undersized...Robertson was undersized...The issue isn't size. It's that he's really athletic and if he's standing up he's a more valuable player.

There's still a DE in DE/OLB.

Good news to hear. If Ghost can ad a good 20 pounds he'd be about 280,about the same as Ellis. Its obvious Gholstons slow,thats why i think he could be effective at 5 technique.

Gholston is not slow.. STIFF and UNINSTINCTIVE is more accurate.

All this system stuff is just words. Rex's strongside end is basically the same thing as a strongside end in a typical 4-3. Which, not for nothing, a whole lot of people have been saying since before he was drafted is his natural position anyway.

Well SOMEONE has to play DE. And since they completely missed getting any depth there through the draft, they'll have to try him there.
They were going to try him there anyway, henceforth they did not try to get any depth there in the draft.

Looks like some depth to me.

Ellis is how old? pouha will be playing NT when Jenkins gets hurt, because that's what Jenkins does. Devito is a great story. Decent in spurts. Not starting calibur. Gholston wil just be learning the position. Our CBs are going to have to be legit because there will be no penetration from this group for QB pressures, which means blitz all day!

Ellis is how old? pouha will be playing DT when Jenkins gets hurt, because that's what Jenkins does. Devito is a great story. Decent in spurts. Not starting calibur. Gholston wil just be learning the position. Our CBs are going to have to be legit because there will be no penetration from this group for QB pressures, which means blitz all day!
We're going to be blitzing all day anyway.

Think that's why we have 3 high quality CB's? They will be legit!

Ellis has been playing fine, Jenkins may not get hurt, there is a first for everything. (Except the Pens beating the Devils this year, good thing Philly did the dirty work for you.) ;)

Devito is good in spurts, sounds like he could fill in if needed, and Gholston was a beast in college, maybe this is what he needs to return to some form of a football player.

Bottom line is Rex feels good about this and it's obvious, he has not even tried to get DE's in the undrafted free agent class.

Can he be wrong, maybe but I can't see how that would make us any worse then we were last year, and we were number 1.

This year our CB's are a 1000 times better to boot. No need to panic over it now, that's for sure.

I really think it can only help ghost...its less complicated as far as reading and reacting. Its obvious he always thought too much and didnt "play". End is what got him drafted,even if it was a 4-3 end. Its still end.:)

Gholston is not slow.. STIFF and UNINSTINCTIVE is more accurate.

In the not shedding block drills Gholston was off the charts. Yes, there are a lot of guys that can't shed blocks. But Gholston got to that block quicker than anyone. That is saying something. :-P

In the not shedding block drills Gholston was off the charts. Yes, there are a lot of guys that can't shed blocks. But Gholston got to that block quicker than anyone. That is saying something. :-P

yeah if there's one thing gholston can do it's to remain blocked for a very long time...

There was no height/weight requirement in Mangini's D...no moreso than any other D. Barton was undersized...Ellis was undersized...Robertson was undersized...The issue isn't size. It's that he's really athletic and if he's standing up he's a more valuable player.

There's still a DE in DE/OLB.

I don't agree at all. Mangini had a specific system that he was installing. He wanted certain body types for certain positions. Roles were not adapted to the players, the players were adapted to the roles. It wasn't a big problem because there was such a talent deficiency when he arrived, but all the guys you listed were inherited from the Herm regime and adapted to the system because they had nothing else. Rex seems to just love speed.

Another word for stiff and uninstinctive = Slow. :)

No. It's lack of "football speed". He seems to think and doesn't change direction or follow things quickly. Even on the field it's often obvious he can run, he just doesn't put it to good use.

So its:

Ellis

Pitoitua

Devito

Pouha

Right? Then factor in Ghost...is that who we have still up for the DE roles??

Rodrique Wright, Matt Kroul and Ty Steinkuhler are all on the expanded roster and listed as D linemen. They will probably be mostly used as DEs. There's already some UDFAs in. I think the "DT" Ernest (Mick) Williams from Pitt will probably move to DE and the DE Basped will be moved to OLB/pass rusher.

Occupying blockers is an important function for a 3-4 DE... and its the only thing that Gholston has shown that he can do at a productive NFL level. I am not saying that this is going to work but I honestly think it has a good shot of working.

Sometimes you have to look beyond contracts and beyond fantasy statistics. If he can do some of the dirty work effectively (which he has shown that he has the ability to do) then he can be an important part of this defense.

I like the move to DE but I still think they need to stand him up 2 or 3 times a game and just let him at the QB on the opposite side of Jason Taylor in obvious passing downs.

No. It's lack of "football speed". He seems to think and doesn't change direction or follow things quickly. Even on the field it's often obvious he can run, he just doesn't put it to good use.

I remember when Cox was here he used to laugh at the emphasis on 40 times, snickering that he never ran under a 5-second 40 in his life. But when the ball was snapped he knew where to go and as the play developed he could sense what was happening and change his course. Gets you to the ball-carrier faster than an extra .5 seconds on a person's gym-shorts 40 time.

I remember when Cox was here he used to laugh at the emphasis on 40 times, snickering that he never ran under a 5-second 40 in his life. But when the ball was snapped he knew where to go and as the play developed he could sense what was happening and change his course. Gets you to the ball-carrier faster than an extra .5 seconds on a person's gym-shorts 40 time.

Exactly true... these workout numbers have taken on an importance that is just sick.

So its:

Ellis

Pitoitua

Devito

Pouha

Right? Then factor in Ghost...is that who we have still up for the DE roles??

Didn't we sign that guy who Miami drafted a few years back? The one who was supposed to be a top 15 pick, but then fell to later rounds bc he had a torn rotator cuff in college. I may be wrong, but I thought we signed him.

I don't agree at all. Mangini had a specific system that he was installing. He wanted certain body types for certain positions. Roles were not adapted to the players, the players were adapted to the roles. It wasn't a big problem because there was such a talent deficiency when he arrived, but all the guys you listed were inherited from the Herm regime and adapted to the system because they had nothing else. Rex seems to just love speed.
So you're going to sit here and tell me that Eric Barton is EXACTLY the kind of guy Mangini wants starting in his super specific, super by the book, super uncreative D?

God the Mangini legends will never die...Rex replaced two starters from Mangini's D last year...The Browns under a real coordinator (as in not Sutton, but the guy Mangini wanted as his DC here for all 3 years he was here) played a D very similar to Rex's D and didn't live up to any of the myths perpetrated about Mangini's philosophies here.

D'you know that Mangini and the Ryans are actually close friends? And that Mangini is the one who convinced Belichick to run a more hybrid type D in NE? Nope, because these things don't matter. Mangini is a villian and must remain so, at all costs.

The D systems aren't that different...better coaching (Pettine >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sutton, Rex obviously had 10 years of DC'ing over Mangini's 1)...along with better players led to our D's rise last year...Thomas chose not to tank...healthy Harris replaced unhealthy Harris and Bowens...Scott replaced Barton...Leonhard replaced Elam...that'll improve most Ds.

He seems to think because he is thinking because he's a n00b. Whether he gets over that will be on him...physical ability is the last thing Vernon Gholston needs to work on. It's everything else...

Jets don't play a pure 3-4.

I haven't seen anything at all that says he will be used as a 3-4 DE. I have seen that he will be used as a DE, but not in any specific capacity... what does that mean?

To me. I means 4-3 fronts with Gholston, Pouha, Jenkins, and Ellis all with their hands on the ground... in a situational capacity. But with Rex, who knows... maybe it means Gholston, Devito, Pouh and Ellis with Jenkins in at MLB!!!!

All I know is that it'll be fun finding out what Rex and Pettine have up their sleeves.

Archived