Player goes undrafted, says no thanks to teams...including Jets

NIGHT STALKER

With his head screwed on that ass-backwards, he's probably better off learning life the hard way in the mainstream 9-5 job world. He obviously doesn't have the "NFL or bust" Danny Woodhead mentality, nor the passion to do whatever it takes to make a team's roster.

On the other hand, maybe he's following bad advice. I remember watching a preseason Jets game at a bar, and sitting at a table with parents of a Seahawks player who made the roster but rarely played. They bitterly bitched and sniveled about how miserable their poor NFL kid's life was. Frankly, they sounded to me like selfish prick parents who wanted their boy home with the family and already quit for the kid. Also, some parents are so dooshed they're afraid to see their kids have more success than they have.

And again, maybe the kid really doesn't wanna play and it's his dad who pushed football all along. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what's up with the Sickos.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else remember Timm Rosenbach? Made a big stink about retiring early and then came crawling back, played a year in Canada a year with the Saints.

I remember his Cardinals career, but don't remember him playing in Canada. Also, I do not remember a Saints stint. If he was ever with them, he never played in a real game because his official career NFL record only shows playing time with the Cardinals. If he ever went to the Saints he had to have been a camp cut.

With his head screwed on that ass-backwards, he's probably better off learning life the hard way in the mainstream 9-5 job world. He obviously doesn't have the "NFL or bust" Danny Woodhead mentality, nor the passion to do whatever it takes to make a team's roster.

On the other hand, maybe he's following bad advice. I remember watching a preseason Jets game at a bar, and sitting at a table with parents of a Seahawks player who made the roster but rarely played. They bitterly bitched and sniveled about how miserable their poor NFL kid's life was. Frankly, they sounded to me like selfish prick parents who wanted their boy home with the family and already quit for the kid. Also, some parents are so dooshed they're afraid to see their kids have more success than they have.

And again, maybe the kid really doesn't wanna play and it's his dad who pushed football all along. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what's up with the Sickos.

People like that bitch just to bitch. I used to pay attention to doctors bitching about taxes, insurance premiums and how "hard" they work. Then I grew up and actually had to work myself, and I think they're all full of ****. Everybody works hard. Some people just make more money than others. Even less people get to enjoy what they do for a living. And the driven or lucky few make a lot of money for not so much work, although either they or somebody else at some point in their life had to work really, really hard for it and also be lucky enough that things worked out for them.

The vast majority of us however work hard and don't make as much as doctors and pro athletes.

He has a chance and making hundreds of thousands of dollars this year.

You don't need a degree to tell you to chase that money in the short term. Plenty of time for education in 1-3 years if you didn't stick in the NFL that long. If he was the last draft pick he would play. If he is the first UDFA to receive an offer, he won't.

I am all for principles but this sounds like sour grapes.

Apparently maybe he DOES need to continue his education Max. He's dumb enough to miss the obvious here.

If he wants to get on with his life, that should be the case whether he was drafted in round 3, as Mr. Irrelevant, or undrafted with demand for his presence.

I don't care if we have him or not, but the Jets are a good example. We didn't HAVE a 7th rounder after the Leon trade, so it's not like we drafted someone else in round 7 instead of him.

He's sulking because he didn't get his way. This is just a spoiled kid and it's no different than a 6 year old who isn't picked for the team he wants so he then says he's taking his ball and going home. (Edit: I just now read that talisaynon wrote the same thing almost exactly).

Lots of luck for the rest of your life with that attitude, kiddo. Enjoy living in your parents' house at age 35.

If he wants to get on with his life, that should be the case whether he was drafted in round 3, as Mr. Irrelevant, or undrafted with demand for his presence.

I don't care if we have him or not, but the Jets are a good example. We didn't HAVE a 7th rounder after the Leon trade, so it's not like we drafted someone else in round 7 instead of him.

He's sulking because he didn't get his way. This is just a spoiled kid and it's no different than a 6 year old who isn't picked for the team he wants so he then says he's taking his ball and going home. (Edit: I just now read that talisaynon wrote the same thing almost exactly).

Lots of luck for the rest of your life with that attitude, kiddo. Enjoy living in your parents' house at age 35.

H2f5Uv4z6lo&hl

I know two players that were UFA signings. One out of BC and signed by Arizona and another out of Northeastern and signed by the Jets. Clearly long shots to make the team....but they plugged along anyway. To this day, both say it was a cool experience but NOT WORTH IT.

This guy is sooo immature. Being undrafted doesn't mean teams didn't want him, their offers are proof of that. It's only seven rounds and he is an idiot. This would be like applying to Harvard, which is hypothetically your dream school and then getting wait listed and going to state school even though Harvard extended you an offer a month after wait-listing you. He was obviously willing to forgo his college football career for the pros and after a reaction like this he will never make it onto an NFL roster since words out. Myron Rolle fell to the bottom of the sixth round because his love for football was questioned. There is no way anyone takes him now. It's a great economy to be turning down six figure jobs with great benefits too. Well done idiot!

I know two players that were UFA signings. One out of BC and signed by Arizona and another out of Northeastern and signed by the Jets. Clearly long shots to make the team....but they plugged along anyway. To this day, both say it was a cool experience but NOT WORTH IT.

Tim Bulman and Matt Comella?

From CNBC in an article from this time last year:

Over the past couple days, I've talked plenty about the millions that the top NFL draft picks are sure to make. But what about the college names that you know, like John Parker Wilson, Chase Daniel, Graham Harrell and Quan Cosby, who signed undrafted free agent contracts after not being drafted? How much do those guys make?

In most cases, not even enough to pay for a single year of their college scholarship.

Here's an inside look into last year's numbers. Last year, signing bonuses for these contracts ranged from $0 to $23,000. That high bonus went to USC tackle Drew Radovich, who was signed by the Vikings.

The 50 or so players that were undrafted free agents last year that actually went on to make their teams then made minimum salaries.

This year, Players who make the team after being an undrafted free agent, will play for the minimum of $310,000 in 2009, $385,000 in 2010 and $460,000 in 2011. If at any time during the season, these guys are inactive or go on injured reserve, they can lose more than $100,000 a year. Players who make the practice squad earn about $5,000 a game.

Agents say the hardest part of their job is trying to get their undrafted players signed. Teams typically aren't truthful about how many players from that position they are signing and often don't reveal what their budget is. Team officials sometimes require agents to make decisions for their clients in a matter of minutes.

Tim Bulman and Matt Comella?

J.P and Matt Comella. One was asked to join the Barcelona Dragons after he was cut - said no thanks. He now owns a successful chain of resturaunts in the Boston area along with his brother. The other became a trader after he was cut -and made more money doing that than being a human tackling dummy in the summer heat and humidity. He is now raking in the dough with his brother in the restaurant biz.

A little harsh, damn.

You obviously didn't love football enough to chase it. You can't kill the kid for that. If he truly loved football he'd kill to get on a team. He walked away. So what?

As Garb mentioned, he could end up more successful outside football than he was in the NFL such as the UDFAs she mentioned.

BTW, Peter Weller (Robocop in the movie of the same name) walked away from acting for a while to become an ancient history professor. Is he an idiot?

Exactly. You've seen Sicko play football?

He's better off continuing with his education.

weller tried and failed, sicko is quiting before trying..

btw.. is that even accurate about Peter Weller.. i think he hosts a show on History channel

This guy is a retard. A few seasons in the NFL at minimum salary and you're set for life. So why is worried about a short career? After 5 years, I'm pretty sure you get pension for life.

No, the people who rip him are retards.

Probably the same idiots that defended Rapesberger after hsi latest sexcapade.

No, the people who rip him are retards.

Probably the same idiots that defended Rapesberger after hsi latest sexcapade.

Great analogy. So because I'm calling Sicko a retard for turning down six figures and getting a shot at being a pro athlete, I'm perfectly OK with Roethlisberger forcibly ravaging women's vaginas? Right.

Ask Wes Welker and Wayne Chrebet why you don't turn down an opportunity like this. He has plenty of time to go back to school.

Great analogy. So because I'm calling Sicko a retard for turning down six figures and getting a shot at being a pro athlete, I'm perfectly OK with Roethlisberger forcibly ravaging women's vaginas? Right.

Ask Wes Welker and Wayne Chrebet why you don't turn down an opportunity like this. He has plenty of time to go back to school.

The salary you mentioned is misleading. Six figures is the base pay - paid over a a season. When you are cut, so isn't the pay. It's the signing bonus that is guaranteed.

If the shoe fits; wear it.

All I am saying there are 100s of things to bitch and whine about in regards to the NFL.

That this kid elected to got school versus a what....5%..1% chance at the NFL is not one of them. This is not Sam Brafford ignoring 60 million. This is a guy turning down 20K on the high end of UDFA bonuses. He ignored a 1-5% chance at making 300K if he makes a roster or 80K ( a practice squad salary). None of those figures make you set for life.

Wes and Wayne obviously wanted to be football players. Sicko clealy does not have that high on his priority list.

Self awareness should be commended, not ripped.

A little harsh, damn.

You obviously didn't love football enough to chase it. You can't kill the kid for that. If he truly loved football he'd kill to get on a team. He walked away. So what?

As Garb mentioned, he could end up more successful outside football than he was in the NFL such as the UDFAs she mentioned.

BTW, Peter Weller (Robocop in the movie of the same name) walked away from acting to become an archeologist. Is he an idiot?

But he would plan the rest of his life completely differently if he was drafted 250th?

If he doesn't want to play, I respect that. But if he doesn't want to because only 4 teams wanted him 10 minutes after the draft ended, instead of 1 team wanting him with their throw-away pick, then that's different.

Choosing one profession over another is an adult decision. Choosing one over another because of the draft slot in which other teams showed they wanted you is how a child acts.

If the shoe fits; wear it.

All I am saying there are 100s of things to bitch and whine about in regards to the NFL.

That this kid elected to got school versus a what....5%..1% chance at the NFL is not one of them. This is not Sam Brafford ignoring 60 million. This is a guy turning down 20K on the high end of UDFA bonuses. He ignored a 1-5% chance at making 300K if he makes a roster or 80K ( a practice squad salary). None of those figures make you set for life.

Wes and Wayne obviously wanted to be football players. Sicko clealy does not have that high on his priority list.

Self awareness should be commended, not ripped.

I think what most are saying is that if he had been drafted, this would be a non story. To me, it sounds like this kid thought perhaps he was better then he truly was...props to him continuing with his education though.

weller tried and failed, sicko is quiting before trying..

btw.. is that even accurate about Peter Weller.. i think he hosts a show on History channel

Correction, he's not an archeologist. He's a professor at Syracuse University teaching courses in ancient history, with his focus being Roman and Renaissance Art. That's why he hosts a show on History Channel. Incidentally, he's still doing some acting.

As to Sicko, he did try and wasn't drafted. As an UDFA it would have been more of an extended tryout and he obviously didn't love football enough to go through with it.

He only would get 6 figures if he makes the team and is on the team for the whole year.

I remember his Cardinals career, but don't remember him playing in Canada. Also, I do not remember a Saints stint. If he was ever with them, he never played in a real game because his official career NFL record only shows playing time with the Cardinals. If he ever went to the Saints he had to have been a camp cut.

http://www.nfl.com/players/timmrosenbach/profile?id=ROS379680

The first thing I checked was wikipedia which lists him in Canada and NO. This has him in NO for a year, maybe he was cut before the season.

Archived