Player goes undrafted, says no thanks to teams...including Jets

NIGHT STALKER

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great analogy. So because I'm calling Sicko a retard for turning down six figures and getting a shot at being a pro athlete, I'm perfectly OK with Roethlisberger forcibly ravaging women's vaginas? Right.

Considering that both conclusions require an impressively obdurate refusal to think critically, it's actually a pretty apt comparison.

the NFL is such a brutal way to make a living, i dont begrudge sicko for saying no. many young men say yes to a meat grinder.

He didn't say no for those legitimate reasons, though. He said no only if he didn't get drafted. Multiple teams called saying they wanted him, and it's not like the Jets drafted someone else in round 7 instead of him. Perhaps the Jets would have taken him there if we didn't have to give it up in the Leon deal. Maybe, maybe not.

I'm just saying I think his reason as laid out is a weak and immature one.

You only make $300K+ if you make the team for the whole year.

Do you make half that if you make the team for 8 games?

$385,000 for the season. You get whatever percentage based on the number of weeks on the team. Half the season nets you 192,500 (+ 5k a week for the half a season you were on the practice squad).

I know two players that were UFA signings. One out of BC and signed by Arizona and another out of Northeastern and signed by the Jets. Clearly long shots to make the team....but they plugged along anyway. To this day, both say it was a cool experience but NOT WORTH IT.......

....J.P and Matt Comella. One was asked to join the Barcelona Dragons after he was cut - said no thanks. He now owns a successful chain of resturaunts in the Boston area along with his brother. The other became a trader after he was cut -and made more money doing that than being a human tackling dummy in the summer heat and humidity. He is now raking in the dough with his brother in the restaurant biz.

Good for them, they hit it big. However inspiring, that might not be quite the typical situation.

The Winter 2010 issue of NACE’s Salary Survey shows the overall average offer to a bachelor’s degree graduate is $48,351, down 2 percent from the average offer of $49,353 made to Class of 2009 bachelor’s degree graduates.

http://theprofessionalengineer.com/2010/02/09/engineering-graduates-salary/

He just signed with the cowboys.. so much for that feel-good story.

Good for him. Really doesn't matter if he makes it or not. He won't be wondering, 5 years from now and beyond, "What if I tried?"

While they are not the norm, consider the lives of these guys who lasted 3+ years in the league - just from the AFCE alone - on 2009 rosters:

Tony Richardson

Brandon Moore

Marques Douglas

Bart Scott

Jim Leonhard

Wallace Wright

Larry Izzo

Wes Welker

Steve Neal

Leigh Bodden

Joey Haynos

Lousaka Polite

George Wilson

Corey McIntyre

Not to mention the lives of these other star players if they hadn't tried:

Kurt Warner

Tony Romo

Ryan Grant

Priest Holmes

Jake Delhomme

Antonio Gates

Rod Smith

Willie Parker

(I'm sure I'm missing others)

So good for him manning up and putting an end to saying to himself: "The odds are against me so I shouldn't even try," like a future failure at life would.

Good for him. Really doesn't matter if he makes it or not. He won't be wondering, 5 years from now and beyond, "What if I tried?"

While they are not the norm, consider the lives of these guys who lasted 3+ years in the league - just from the AFCE alone - on 2009 rosters:

Tony Richardson

Brandon Moore

Marques Douglas

Bart Scott

Jim Leonhard

Wallace Wright

Larry Izzo

Wes Welker

Steve Neal

Leigh Bodden

Joey Haynos

Lousaka Polite

George Wilson

Corey McIntyre

Not to mention the lives of these other star players if they hadn't tried:

Kurt Warner

Tony Romo

Ryan Grant

Priest Holmes

Jake Delhomme

Antonio Gates

Rod Smith

Willie Parker

(I'm sure I'm missing others)

So good for him manning up and putting an end to saying to himself: "The odds are against me so I shouldn't even try," like a future failure at life would.

Wayne Chrebet!!!

I'm pretty upset at this pickup. He apparently "came to his senses" on Tuesday. However, the whole situation just shows he was being immature and hot headed, or that he had greatly inflated his self-worth which was then brought back down to earth after he was passed over in the draft.

Either way, it shows that he might be more than a little bit narcissistic or fickle, attributes that I wouldn't think would mesh well with someone who has to work their way back up to be a contributer to a NFL team. Looking at those guys like Romo, Austin and even guys like Crayton and Ratliff, they started off as bubble players, who worked hard. They were driven to learn and contribute until they eventually earned their payoffs.

I have no problem if someone turns down an NFL offer and decides to take a different path in life, but waffling between decisions is infuriating to me.

I'm pretty upset at this pickup. He apparently "came to his senses" on Tuesday. However, the whole situation just shows he was being immature and hot headed, or that he had greatly inflated his self-worth which was then brought back down to earth after he was passed over in the draft.

Either way, it shows that he might be more than a little bit narcissistic or fickle, attributes that I wouldn't think would mesh well with someone who has to work their way back up to be a contributer to a NFL team. Looking at those guys like Romo, Austin and even guys like Crayton and Ratliff, they started off as bubble players, who worked hard. They were driven to learn and contribute until they eventually earned their payoffs.

I have no problem if someone turns down an NFL offer and decides to take a different path in life, but waffling between decisions is infuriating to me.

If you get a chance read Peter Kings MMQB column this week. He actually spoke to the kid. It puts a different light on it and I think you'll understand the kids thinking.

If you get a chance read Peter Kings MMQB column this week. He actually spoke to the kid. It puts a different light on it and I think you'll understand the kids thinking.

Cool, thanks, opening it now to check it out. I've read some articles in local papers about him (I live outside of Albany, so he went to hs around here and this was relatively big news.)

P.S. Read the article, thanks for the heads up Thai Jet.

A couple of things don't really mesh still, you CAN be a pro athlete and get a degree on the side, others have. But I feel better about the kids drive regardless after reading that. I wish him the best, especially as a local prospect.

I can't help to wonder why he didn't go over to you guys too. I know it points to the Garrett's as possible reasons, but they, and his agents know that with us, it'll be hard to crack even our 52 man roster. We have 3 strong TE's who are pretty entrenched and have been proven contributors (Witten, Phillips and Bennet.) In comparison you have Keller, Hartsock and Mulligan 1 entrenched and one sort of swiss army knife? And the pats have Crumpler, Agnone, Gronkowski and Myers? Lord knows who the Chiefs have after Pope. And in the cases of the teams in the AFCE, he'd still be local and close to both his home and gf. It's odd.

I have a feeling that Fatty_VM is Brett Favre's biggest fan just because of his waffling. :lol:

Uuuggggggh. HOW CAN HE STAY IN A STATE OF PERPETUAL WAFFLAGE SINCE 2002?! :Nuts: /rant.

I've been doing some more thinking on this, since we are most likely releasing our only vet fullback due to character issues, we might be trying to use him to as another interchangeable fb-te hybrid. That is, if he actually has the brain that he's portrayed to have, he could be competing for that spot.

He's 22 and he only waffled a couple of days.

Moreover, I never understood why people who don't know a guy get angry when they make a bad career move or do something which hurts the player, but nobody else.

If a player gets caught with alcohol or drugs too many times, I've seen people who don't cheer for his team get angry at that player for passing up his opportunities, or something. I can see if you cheer for his team and his suspension or banning hurts the team, but these people aren't fans of his team. Yet they hate the guy.

Hey, the opportunities are his, if he foolishly passes them up it's his problem.

Archived