Punts Forced / Kickoff Return Attempts: A Statistical Flyby

Darth Vader

I love it when people actually bring meat and potatoes along with an opinion...a true rarity with this site.

I usually bring vodka and cheese doodles. Occasionally a nice pilaf. but you're totally right about the meat and potatoes.

In situations where I'm unsure, I look down at my "wwcd" bracelet and ask myself. "what would Crusher do?" Its worked so far.

oh. and good op. read the whole thing, too.

Yes, it is good and all, and the poster can be commended for doing the work, but a simple "the Jets can improve in the punt return department by adding a better punt returner in 2010" would have sufficed.

Good stuff. I brought up the Wilson and McKnight as punt returners in another thread and Brooklyn Jet brought up Santonio Holmes. I know he'll miss the first 4, but I think he did it in Pittsburgh.

FWIW, I think that Cotchery basically caught everything. Don't remember him fair catching much either. The problem is that he is almost no threat to go the distance. He's also a risk to lost due to injury, but that is mitigated a little now by having both Edwards and Holmes. I don't think Cotchery will be back there again.

FWIW, I think that Cotchery basically caught everything. Don't remember him fair catching much either. The problem is that he is almost no threat to go the distance. He's also a risk to lost due to injury, but that is mitigated a little now by having both Edwards and Holmes. I don't think Cotchery will be back there again.

Cotchery returned 23 punts in 2009. He had 12 fair catches.

Numbers from other notable punt returners last season-

Welker- 27 (returns) and 16 (fair catches)

Cribbs- 38 and 3

Cosby- 40 and 19

Leonhard- 21 and 13

Sproles- 26 and 12

Burleson- 30 and 3

Hester- 24 and 5

Breaston- 38 and 11

Bush- 27 and 9

Jackson- 29 and 15

Crayton- 36 and 23

Cotchery returned 23 punts in 2009. He had 12 fair catches.

Numbers from other notable punt returners last season-

Welker- 27 (returns) and 16 (fair catches)

Cribbs- 38 and 3

Cosby- 40 and 19

Leonhard- 21 and 13

Sproles- 26 and 12

Burleson- 30 and 3

Hester- 24 and 5

Breaston- 38 and 11

Bush- 27 and 9

Jackson- 29 and 15

Crayton- 36 and 23

That is a pretty high total. More than I expected. I wonder how many were when he first started. He got pressed into due to the injuries to Leonhard and Leon. At first he didn't look super comfortable. He catches everything and well, but he didn't look like he was looking to run with it much either.

Good stuff. I brought up the Wilson and McKnight as punt returners in another thread and Brooklyn Jet brought up Santonio Holmes. I know he'll miss the first 4, but I think he did it in Pittsburgh.

Thanks for the mention ;), and yes Holmes did return punts in the berg.

That is a pretty high total. More than I expected. I wonder how many were when he first started. He got pressed into due to the injuries to Leonhard and Leon. At first he didn't look super comfortable. He catches everything and well, but he didn't look like he was looking to run with it much either.

I don't have game-by-game numbers, but those can be found.

Cotchery's serviceable in the return game, but Wilson or McKnight hopefully will win the job this year. Cotchery's greatest attribute in the return game is fielding the ball. If Wilson and/or McKnight can do that (and it's not easy as we saw in the Tennessee game), they'll get the job because they are faster than Cotchery and would probably be bigger threats to gain significant yardage.

I don't have game-by-game numbers, but those can be found.

Cotchery's serviceable in the return game, but Wilson or McKnight hopefully will win the job this year. Cotchery's greatest attribute in the return game is fielding the ball. If Wilson and/or McKnight can do that (and it's not easy as we saw in the Tennessee game), they'll get the job because they are faster than Cotchery and would probably be bigger threats to gain significant yardage.

Couldn't agree more. I just didn't remember that many fair catches. Damn facts prove me wrong.<shakes fist>

I'd like to see some more statistical info regarding the Jets percentage of punts fielded vs. other teams. Seems to me that a FC isn't just advantageous when you have a lead, sometimes it's a positive play when compared to just letting the ball bounce and watching it travel 10 or 20 yards downfield after it does.

You have San Francisco right there with us in punts forced (good for them!), so let's compare those two teams:

_______PF___PR__FC

SF-------95---49---13

JETS-----98---50---26

The number of returns is statistically very similar: 51.5% for SF, 51% for the Jets - but the Jets have double the number of fair catches. So my question would be what was the difference between SF and the Jets there? Did SF get more touchbacks, resulting in a better net? Or did they let a lot of punts bounce, resulting in a worse one?

I think that would be the key number here: Opponents net yards punting. Don't know where to find that one.

For the Jets purposes, they did well to remain in the middle of the pack in punt return average when down to their #3 punt returner - who also happened to be their starting WR, and was probably told not to do anything stupid when returning a punt!

But like you said, I think the Jets have a number of people in house this year to battle for the punt return job, and it would be a lot of fun to get our own version of Billy "White Shoes" Johnson back there.

Yes, I'm old.

But like you said, I think the Jets have a number of people in house this year to battle for the punt return job, and it would be a lot of fun to get our own version of Billy "White Shoes" Johnson back there.

Yes, I'm old.

K0EVm7fi0iQ