SJ Reviews: 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'..Superb Murder Mystery, one of best (4)

SouthernJet

'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' is quite simply one of the best murder mysteries I have ever seen. This Swedish Indie is now playing at your local Independent theater house.

This flick has it all!!!!!!!

Murder 40 years ago, family intrique, Nazziis, erotic fetishes, framing newspaper reporters etc etc.

I see alot of films and I cant emphasize more how engrossing this mystery is from Frame1 to the last exciting frame of movie.

I dont want to provide spoilers so basic quick premise: Wealthy man hires a 'soon to be imprisoned' journalist to unravel a 40 year old Murder mystery at that took place at his 'Kennedy-like' wealthy compound. All 40 members of family who were present that weekend 40 years ago are suspects. The journalist gets help from a sexy, edgy computer hacker/PI. What follows is more than exciting and entertaining as the mystery unravels and shows some very very sordid details.

In closing I will tell you the running time of 2 hrs 20 minutes will fly by. If you fall asleep during this you are ready for the Old Folks home. Many are comparing it to the French mystery 'Tell No One' from a few years back. I agree 100%, its that good.

Rolling Stone summed it up best:

" This dynamite thriller shivers with suspense. So if you ignore The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) because it's in Swedish with English subtitles, you probably deserve the remake Hollywood will surely screw up.".

If you are a fan of great plots and mysteries and are willing to see amovie where those facets outweigh special effects or things blowing up, then I suggest you check your paper for local Indie House listings and have one helluva ride. Enjoy.

4 stars_002.gif's

the-girl-with-a-dragon-tattoo-swedish-poster.jpg

Good news, parts 2 and 3 coming to US in Spring..

Finally, Release Dates for 'Dragon Tattoo' Sequels

millenium-trilogy.jpg

The Stieg Larsson book The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, aka Men Who Hate Women, took Sweden and then Europe by storm, as did its sequels, The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. The movies, which were released in quick succession in 2009, have proved no less popular; the chilly Swedish thrillers have sold millions of tickets across Europe. (Sadly, the author didn't live long enough to see his books published at all; Larsson died in 2004.)

Americans have wasted no time gobbling up the first two books -- the third is due for a May release here in the States -- and the first movie finally came out on March 19 to critical acclaim. Seems no one can resist uber-hacker and all-around subversive Lisbeth Salander, who inadvertently teams up with journalist Mikael Blomkvist to solve the mystery of a missing niece in Dragon Tattoo. What they uncover definitely lives up to its original name; you won't even notice the movie is 152 minutes long. Salander is one of the most interesting fictional characters to come along for quite some time, and is successfully translated to film by Noomi Rapace, whose stony glare and sharp cheekbones are only outdone by her ability to fight fire with fire.

With rumors that David Fincher is circling the inevitable remake, there's welcome news from distributors Music Box Films that The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest will also get a US release this spring, finally slaking my thirst for more Lisbeth (and more Noomi!). The question remains who could take over from Rapace as Lisbeth, since Rapace isn't attached; the rumor is Carey Mulligan is at the top of Fincher's wishlist, but I am not sure she can pull it off.

In THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE Mikael Blomkvist is about to run a story that will expose an extensive sex trafficking operation between Eastern Europe and Sweden, implicating well-known and highly placed members of Swedish society. On the eve of publication, the two investigating reporters are murdered and the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander.

In THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNETS’ NEST Lisbeth Salander is fighting for her life in more ways than one. In intensive care and charged with three murders, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those corrupt government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life. Once upon a time, she was a victim. Now Salander is fighting back.

I knew it.

Hollywood re-making as we speak.. Go see the original NOW while its in theaters. NO ONE can replace Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander. But rumor is she is not well versed in English.

Fincher prepares to direct US remake of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

5 May, 2010 | By Jorn Rossing Jensen

David Fincher has arrived in Stockholm, where his production designer has already spent three weeks location scouting.

Hollywood veteran Brad Pitt is rumoured to be a "strong bet" for the role of Mikael Blomqvist with Carey Mulligan filling the role of quirky sleuth Lisbeth Salander, a pair played in the Swedish language original by Mikael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace.

Pitt is reported by UK entertainment site Digital Spy to have beaten off the challenge of fellow Hollywood heavyweights Johnny Depp and George Clooney for the role.

Carey Mulligan is a 24-year-old British actress who was Oscar nominated for her role of Jenny in the 2009 smash hit, An Education will play the heroine.

David Fincher (Seven, Fight Club, Benjamin Button) is gearing up to helm the US remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, part one of Swedish author Stieg Larsson’s Millennium thriller trilogy. Whether he will also sign the other two parts is yet to be decided.

Fincher has arrived in Stockholm, where his production designer has already spent three weeks location scouting. Stockholm film commissioner Ingrid Rudefors told the Filmnyheterna that Fincher wants a ”European look” for the film and accordingly will shoot all exteriors in the Swedish capital.

”Since Sweden does not have any reimbursement programmes to attract international productions, studio work will be placed in another European country with tax incentives,” she explained, adding that the Stockholm end of the production is scheduled to start in October, with a ”star-studded cast” and mainly local crew.

”The exposure Stockholm will receive will by far outdo Crown Princess Victoria’s upcoming wedding or any Ocean Race,” concluded Rudefors.

Producer S

I cant emphasize enough that you should try and get out to see this Indie mystery before its gone. Its terricfic!!!!!!!!!

'Millennium' film opens to rousing US reviews

Published: 19 Mar 10 14:23 CET

The first of the Stieg Larsson "Millennium" trilogy films, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, has opened to rousing reviews from US critics and audiences not known for cherishing obscure subtitled films from Scandinavia.

"If you ignore the film because it's in Swedish with English subtitles, you probably deserve the remake Hollywood will surely screw up," wrote Rolling Stone magazine's Peter Travers in giving the film a 3

Went to see this yesterday over in Albany's spectrum theater. Besides the cringe-worthy "visitation" scene with Lisbeth, it was a great flick.

I couldn't imagine any American actress replacing Noomi Rapace, so I can't fathom what it will lose in translation.

• 2 months later...

Part 2 of this 3 part trilogy open today in the US:

'The Girl Who Played with Fire'

'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' is quite simply one of the best murder mysteries I have ever seen. This Swedish Indie is now playing at your local Independent theater house.

This flick has it all!!!!!!!

Murder 40 years ago, family intrique, Nazziis, erotic fetishes, framing newspaper reporters etc etc.

I see alot of films and I cant emphasize more how engrossing this mystery is from Frame1 to the last exciting frame of movie.

I dont want to provide spoilers so basic quick premise: Wealthy man hires a 'soon to be imprisoned' journalist to unravel a 40 year old Murder mystery at that took place at his 'Kennedy-like' wealthy compound. All 40 members of family who were present that weekend 40 years ago are suspects. The journalist gets help from a sexy, edgy computer hacker/PI. What follows is more than exciting and entertaining as the mystery unravels and shows some very very sordid details.

In closing I will tell you the running time of 2 hrs 20 minutes will fly by. If you fall asleep during this you are ready for the Old Folks home. Many are comparing it to the French mystery 'Tell No One' from a few years back. I agree 100%, its that good.

Rolling Stone summed it up best:

" This dynamite thriller shivers with suspense. So if you ignore The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) because it's in Swedish with English subtitles, you probably deserve the remake Hollywood will surely screw up.".

If you are a fan of great plots and mysteries and are willing to see amovie where those facets outweigh special effects or things blowing up, then I suggest you check your paper for local Indie House listings and have one helluva ride. Enjoy.

4 stars_002.gif's

the-girl-with-a-dragon-tattoo-swedish-poster.jpg

They aren't showing it at my local indie theater :(.

I'm just going to have to live with a bootleg copy unfortunately to see if it's as good as the second.

most theaters will show mid August..only NYC/LA I think showing this week..

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was Part 1, The Girl who played with Fire is Part 2, and Part 3 is The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest . Nest will be released in US in the fall this year.

PreProduction has begun on the US version of Tattoo, scheduled to be seen in 2012. Quentin Tarantino, Ridley Scott, and Martin Scorsese are vying for the Directors job with people who own rights to film.

Daniel Craig has signed on as male lead, while Carey Mulligan (An Education, Brothers, Public Enemies) will play Lisbeth.

I can definity see Craig as lead here, I actually said to my wife when we saw Tattoo, 'This wil lbe remade by Hollywood, and Craig would be perfect'..

As far as Mulligan I dont know if she has that 'edge' thats needed. With Craig on board for 'marketing draw', just resign Noomi Rapace.

PreProduction has begun on the US version of Tattoo, scheduled to be seen in 2012. Quentin Tarantino, Ridley Scott, and Martin Scorsese are vying for the Directors job with people who own rights to film.

Daniel Craig has signed on as male lead, while Carey Mulligan (An Education, Brothers, Public Enemies) will play Lisbeth.

I can definity see Craig as lead here, I actually said to my wife when we saw Tattoo, 'This wil lbe remade by Hollywood, and Craig would be perfect'..

As far as Mulligan I dont know if she has that 'edge' thats needed. With Craig on board for 'marketing draw', just resign Noomi Rapace.

interesting article

" Too many Americans would never even consider watching a film with subtitles.

“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” will now march down the path toward an American remake, one that almost any successful foreign film must take.

Perusing IMDb.com, it seems like most of the information on the remake is scarce and subject to change. David Fincher is currently slated to direct, a good sign, based on his history with dark, intelligent thrillers.

In the acting department, Daniel Craig is listed for Mikael Blomkvist, another good sign. He can do the steely and reserved dignity that was featured in the original film.

The problem comes with the title character, Lisbeth Salander. Carey Mulligan is rumored to play the part, but as good an actress as “An Education” showed her to be, she isn’t right for this film.

It’s frightening to think about everything that will probably change in the remake. The running time will be cut by at least half an hour, Lisbeth Salander will look less goth-y, so as to be more marketable, and the darkest scenes will be softened to appeal to all the people who made the book a best-seller.

So why must we remake a film that’s exciting and not even old?

Too bad Americans don’t know how to read subtitles. "

:rl:

I read this book in a day it was so good. The movie does look pretty damn good itself.

I read all 3 of the Millennium series books....the 3rd book is terrible if only because it's predictable as hell. It should make for a decent movie for the feminist in all of us.

• 3 weeks later...

Bond star Craig signs on for 'Dragon Tattoo'

Posted: 11:15 a.m. today

Daniel Craig Confirmed for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Who Will Play the Female Lead?

Posted by Jessica Derschowitz

NEW YORK (CBS) The male lead in David Fincher's American adaptation of Stieg Larsson's mystery novel "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" has been locked down. But the role of the titular girl with the dragon tattoo is still up for grabs.

Sources confirmed to Entertainment Weekly on Tuesday the long-standing rumor that Daniel Craig will take on the role of Mikael Blomkvist, the journalist hired to look into the decades-old disappearance of the niece of an aging Swedish industrialist.

But who will play Lisbeth Salander, the pierced and tattooed hacker with a photographic memory who helps Blomkvist with his investigation?

Carey Mulligan ("An Education") was a possible candidate, but the Oscar nominee confirmed she will not play Salander. Kristen Stewart ("The Twilight Saga") has also been mentioned as being up for the role. Stewart told MTV in June that she may be too busy to take on the role, but called it "an incredible project" and added she hopes someone "really cool" gets the part.

Other actresses up for the part, according to Deadline Hollywood, include Ellen Page ("Juno", "Inception"), Mia Wasikowska ("Alice in Wonderland"), Rooney Mara ("The Social Network"), Emily Browning ("Sucker Punch"), Sarah Snook ("Sleeping Beauty") and Sophie Lowe ("Blame").

According to EW, screen tests for the role are expected to take place this week. The film is scheduled for a Dec. 11, 2011, release.

Directed by David Fincher, the film is due in theaters next year.

103074853_370x278.jpg

I rented this flick a couple of weeks ago. LOVED IT! But, I have to say, there were a couple of scenes that were hard to take - so I walked out of the room for a moment.

Subtitles should not scare anyone that can actually read :) One of my all-time favorite movies is "Life Is Beautiful" Wonderful story, delicious acting and compelling as hell.

I rented this flick a couple of weeks ago. LOVED IT! But, I have to say, there were a couple of scenes that were hard to take - so I walked out of the room for a moment.

Subtitles should not scare anyone that can actually read :) .

Dont forget, Part2, The Girl who Played with Fire is playing now in major cities and everywheere else in 2 weeks...

AMC Loews Boston Common 19

175 Tremont Street, Boston, MA

12:45 4:10 7:40pm

Kendall Square Cinema

1 Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA

2:00 5:00 8:00pm

dd16ba0fd215907ebd4415da8e22f03455e03328.jpg

Dont forget, Part2, The Girl who Played with Fire is playing now in major cities and everywheere else in 2 weeks...

AMC Loews Boston Common 19

175 Tremont Street, Boston, MA

12:45 4:10 7:40pm

Kendall Square Cinema

1 Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA

2:00 5:00 8:00pm

dd16ba0fd215907ebd4415da8e22f03455e03328.jpg

Thanks, SJ! There's an indie-vibe theater closer to my home that has it showing. The theater is in West Newton Hill - home to the liberal moonbats with money....this means they go to foreign films because they thinks it's cool, not because the film may actually be. LOL!

Dragon Tattoo Star Narrowed to Final Four

by Gina Piccalo& Claire MartinJuly 27, 2010 | 10:41pm

img-bs-top---piccalo-dragon-tattoo_06390114521.jpg

The Daily Beast has learned exclusively the top four actresses in contention to play Stieg Larsson's punk heroine, Lisbeth Salander—and none is named Ellen Page or Natalie Portman.

Any day now, director David Fincher will change a young actress' life by giving her the starring role in the latest hyper-anticipated movie franchise: the English-language adaptation of Stieg Larsson's blockbuster crime thriller The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

The Daily Beast has learned exclusively that the role of brilliant hacker Lisbeth Salander has been narrowed down to four virtually unknown actresses: Australians Sophie Lowe, starring in the forthcoming thriller Blame, and Sarah Snook, (Sleeping Beauty), American Rooney Mara, who co-stars in Fincher's upcoming Facebook film The Social Network, and French actress Lea Seydoux, who appeared in Inglourious Basterds and Robin Hood.

Not one of the early contenders seems to have made the cut. Not Natalie Portman, Carey Mulligan, Ellen Page, Mia Wasikowska, Emily Browning, nor even Fincher's favorite, the pixie South African rapper Yo-Landi Vi$er. They have all been passed over for various reasons: too old. Too tall. Too famous. Or just not interested. (That would be Vi$er.) Meanwhile, the appetite among fans for even the most mundane detail on this production seems to grow more voracious the closer Fincher gets to filming. On Monday, Daniel Craig officially took the film's lead role as disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist after months of speculation that had everyone from Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp to George Clooney linked to the part. But the scrutiny has been most intense over the franchise's complicated, sexy title figure, the plum role of Blomkvist's co-detective—the punk Salander, the dark angel with the tortured past.

It's a real nail-biter for a small clutch of Hollywood agents, each of them wondering who will hit the movie-making lottery. "This is the biggest role for an actress in the last five or six years," one agent noted. "If the movie works and the actress is good, it's a role they could be [Oscar] nominated for. And it's a big global footprint to get other jobs. It's a game changer."

Fincher doesn't have long to mull over the decision. He's expected to make his choice within two weeks. Pre-production on the film begins next month with filming set to start in Sweden in late September or early October, as soon as Craig finishes shooting the long-delayed Jon Favreau action adventure Cowboys & Aliens. Which explains why things have picked up speed in the last week with the screen tests, Craig's casting, and the Dec. 21, 2011, release-date announcement.

Fincher screen-tested the four actresses last Thursday, after putting out the word that no one over 24 years old or taller than 5-foot-5 would be seriously considered. (In the books, Larsson describes Lisbeth as a 24-year old who sometimes looks 14.) And he preferred unknowns. Not long after that, Portman, 29, and Mulligan, who stands 5-foot-7, told reporters they weren't in the running for the part. Meanwhile, the Oscar-nominated Page, who is 23 and 5-foot-1, was told to keep working on her Swedish accent, despite the fact that Fincher's "unknown" mandate seemed to nix her chances. Browning, who is 21 and meets the physical requirements, is still talking to filmmakers but not among the top contenders.

The stakes are incredibly high considering the mammoth, DaVinci Code-caliber following inspired by Larsson's posthumously published novels, known as the Millennium trilogy. Fans say the only thing that could keep them from seeing these films is a poorly chosen cast. The series—The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest—has sold 40 million copies since 2005, thanks to phenomenal word-of-mouth. Americans have devoured the novels since the first one hit the U.S. in 2008.

The well-reviewed Swedish film adaptation of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, released first in 2009 and this year in the U.S., was the highest grossing Swedish film ever made and has already earned more than $100 million worldwide. It swept this year's Guldebagge Awards—the Swedish Oscars—earning best film, fan favorite and Noomi Rapace, who played Salander, a best actress award. With the full force of the Hollywood machine behind a Columbia Pictures adaptation, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo could make a Twilight-level impact on audiences.

"We're doing the book," Amy Pascal, Sony Pictures Entertainment co-chairman told The Wrap last week. "That's why we hired David Fincher. We're going to really do this, in all their glory. Otherwise why do it? They're very R-rated movies. It's the shock of what's really going on underneath the surface of society. If you don't actually make good on that, you haven't told the story."

Fans felt the Swedish adaptations of the three movies (led by Tattoo's Danish director Niels Arden Oplev) were sufficiently faithful to the books. Some even hoped Rapace would reprise her role for the Hollywood remakes. In a March poll by Music Box Films, the U.S. distributor of the Swedish movies, 68 percent of respondents voted for Rapace to play Salander again. Ellen Page came in a distant second. "Noomi Rapace IS Lisbeth Salander," Maryland fan Mary-Lynn Ragot told The Daily Beast.

Reactions to the news that Daniel Craig will play Mikael Blomkvist have been mixed. “When I was reading the books, he's the guy who came to mind to play Mikael,” one fan wrote on the official Stieg Larsson Facebook page. But others can't get past his Bond image. “His face is a face of a boxer, of some village version of James Bond, of many things, but not of an intellectual, journalist, charming workaholic Mikael Blomkvist,” another wrote.

For Salander, they–like Fincher–want an unknown actress who fits the physical description of Larsson’s character, that is, “a pale, anorexic young woman who had hair as short as a fuse, and a pierced nose and eyebrows … born thin, with slender bones that made her look girlish.”

"Lisbeth Salander is autistic or has Asperger's," Ragot points out. "She's so private and lonely. It would be ridiculous to feel like you knew that person from the tabloids."

In terms of plot and storytelling, American fans want the movies to take place in Sweden—which they will—with a script as faithful to the books as possible. And they don't want Fincher to shy away from Larsson's strong themes and storylines—specifically, the graphic rape scene and Salander's reaction to it.

“In the Swedish film they took it to the edge but didn’t go too far, and the American version should be pretty darn close to that,” says Scott Leslie, a fan from Virginia. “That’s a key scene in the book, and if they don’t get it right it’ll be problematic.”

So far, the studio, Fincher, and his producers are keeping the lid on the script. Actresses who screen-tested for the role were given select pages for the audition. And no one with the production is talking. (Reps for Fincher, producer Scott Rudin, and Pascal all declined to be interviewed for this story.)

"It's Fincher," said one Hollywood insider. "He's going to do his own thing. And what that means I have no idea."

Between the Lines: Hot rumors about possible fourth Larsson book

Swedish journalist Stieg Larsson's fan base would love to see a fourth book from him, but there's a big problem: He is no longer with us.

Yet his demise didn't hinder his posthumous trilogy from taking off, and may not stand in the way now as rumors of a partly finished fourth book are causing groundswells in the publishing industry.

The best-selling novelist has become something of a cult figure since his death in 2004 at age 50. The books in his "Millennium Trilogy" of crime thrillers have become worldwide best-sellers ("The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and the current hot read, "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest").

Larsson turned in these three manuscripts to his publisher before he died – dark crime stories about the relationship between a journalist and a socially dysfunctional computer hacker. Total sales to date: 30 million-plus.

A fourth, partly finished book is rumored to exist, but its contents are said to be known to only two people. They are Larsson's partner, Eva Gabrielsson, who isn't talking about it; and John-Henri Holmberg, a friend who received a brief e-mail from Larsson about its plot shortly before the writer died.

Naturally, publishers would love to see the manuscript, with the goal of hiring a writer to complete it and then selling it to the ravenous Larsson fan base. But Eva Gedin, head of publishing at the Swedish house Nordstedts, cautioned: "The question about the fourth manuscript is hypothetical. We don't know if it exists or what shape it's in."

<br style=margin-top: 0px; ">

shiitsky

Rapace: 'I'm done with Millennium Trilogy'

Posted Saturday July 31, 2010 2 days, 11 hours ago

Larsson's bestselling novels have already been adapted into films in the late journalist's native Sweden, but acclaimed filmmaker David Fincher is preparing to start work on an American version of the franchise, with Daniel Craig in the lead role.

Rumours are rife over who will play the female lead, Lisbeth Salander, in the first installment, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but Rapace, who played the role in all three of the Swedish adaptations, is adamant she won't accept the job.

She tells Britain's Total Film magazine, ""With the remake I've been very clear on that point from the beginning: it doesn't matter who is going to play Mikael Blomkvist, I'm finished.

""I love Fight Club and I think Seven is an amazing film. I think Fincher is one of the few directors in the world that can do something really good with it. But I'm done with her.

""I don't have this dream about Hollywood. I know that many actors, they want to go to Hollywood and they will do anything to get there. But for me it's more important to work with people and do projects that I deeply believe in and feel like I really have to do. If it ends up in Hollywood, that's fine.""

• 2 weeks later...

Related to the Giants Mara's and Steelers Rooney's.

Girl with Dragon Tattoo Signs Mara as Salander, Craig as Blomkvist

maraDSC9803_r_thumb.jpg

All the Lisbeth Salander casting rumors just bit the dust. David Fincher has closed the deal to star his The Social Network discovery Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander in the English-language version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, written by Steve Zaillian and produced by Scott Rudin for Sony. Shooting will start in Sweden next month after Daniel Craig finishes Cowboys & Aliens.

In many ways this has been the most anticipated casting announcement since Scarlett O’Hara landed Gone with the Wind. Why? Swedish author Stieg Larsson’s Millennium Trilogy are bestsellers all over the world (more than 40 million copies sold in 44 countries) and dominate the current NYT bestseller list; the three Swedish Millennium films have scored in multiple countries as well. The first two are doing modest art-house business in the U.S.

girlwithdragontattoologo_thumb.jpg

But the passion for this project centers on the character Salander. Even if James Bond star Craig is headlining as muckraking journalist Mikael Blomkvist, with Robin Wright and Stellan Skarsgard co-starring, it’s the bisexual tattooed diminutive hacker Salander who has captured the world’s imagination. And her casting in what could be a huge franchise for Sony was key.

Word was the studio resisted going with an unknown—Mara was the only American among the finalists (Emily Browning, Sophie Lowe, Sarah Snook and Lea Seydoux). But clearly, Fincher had his way. He hired an actress who he trusted. And those of us who haven’t seen her work will discover her when we watch The Social Network, which opens the New York Film Festival September 24. Sony has set a December 21, 2011 release date for Dragon Tattoo.

Related to the Giants Mara's and Steelers Rooney's.

Girl with Dragon Tattoo Signs Mara as Salander, Craig as Blomkvist

maraDSC9803_r_thumb.jpg

All the Lisbeth Salander casting rumors just bit the dust. David Fincher has closed the deal to star his The Social Network discovery Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander in the English-language version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, written by Steve Zaillian and produced by Scott Rudin for Sony. Shooting will start in Sweden next month after Daniel Craig finishes Cowboys & Aliens.

In many ways this has been the most anticipated casting announcement since Scarlett O’Hara landed Gone with the Wind. Why? Swedish author Stieg Larsson’s Millennium Trilogy are bestsellers all over the world (more than 40 million copies sold in 44 countries) and dominate the current NYT bestseller list; the three Swedish Millennium films have scored in multiple countries as well. The first two are doing modest art-house business in the U.S.

girlwithdragontattoologo_thumb.jpg

But the passion for this project centers on the character Salander. Even if James Bond star Craig is headlining as muckraking journalist Mikael Blomkvist, with Robin Wright and Stellan Skarsgard co-starring, it’s the bisexual tattooed diminutive hacker Salander who has captured the world’s imagination. And her casting in what could be a huge franchise for Sony was key.

Word was the studio resisted going with an unknown—Mara was the only American among the finalists (Emily Browning, Sophie Lowe, Sarah Snook and Lea Seydoux). But clearly, Fincher had his way. He hired an actress who he trusted. And those of us who haven’t seen her work will discover her when we watch The Social Network, which opens the New York Film Festival September 24. Sony has set a December 21, 2011 release date for Dragon Tattoo.

Lame.

They shouldve used that lesbian chick from Twilight or that other girl who was in Inception.

Archived