Joe McKnight Highlights

Vudu

Looks good, not as good as vintage Leon, but good. He's bigger and shiftier, with nice receiving hands, but the burst is not blazing.

Yea, looks good, not great. Good not great speed for a guy his size -- sets defenders up nicely by bouncing outside, then cutting back to the center of the field at the second level. Has to do a better job of protecting the ball, but looks like he has nice vision and improvising ability in the open field.

Reminds me of a poor-man's Reggie Bush in terms of athleticism and style of play.

He doesn't have that second gear. The gear that when he's in the open field, he doesn't get caught. He gets run down a lot. Leon never used to get run down when he got into the open field.

That being said, he is very shifty and does have great moves on the field. Should be a good player.

Yea, looks good, not great. Good not great speed for a guy his size -- sets defenders up nicely by bouncing outside, then cutting back to the center of the field at the second level. Has to do a better job of protecting the ball, but looks like he has nice vision and improvising ability in the open field.

Reminds me of a poor-man's Reggie Bush in terms of athleticism and style of play.

He doesn't have that second gear. The gear that when he's in the open field, he doesn't get caught. He gets run down a lot. Leon never used to get run down when he got into the open field.

That being said, he is very shifty and does have great moves on the field. Should be a good player.

True dat!

Looks good, not as good as vintage Leon, but good. He's bigger and shiftier, with nice receiving hands, but the burst is not blazing.

Good observation. I was actually thinking the same thing. He's able to use your commitment against you (that shiftiness), but he isnt nearly as explosive as Leon. I will say this though, Leon has 5 professional years on him and this kid is only going to get stronger, faster and smarter. He may not be the next Leon but he can certainly be the first McKnight...and from what he can do now, that has the potential to be a very big statement.

Good observation. I was actually thinking the same thing. He's able to use your commitment against you (that shiftiness), but he isnt nearly as explosive as Leon. I will say this though, Leon has 5 professional years on him and this kid is only going to get stronger, faster and smarter. He may not be the next Leon but he can certainly be the first McKnight...and from what he can do now, that has the potential to be a very big statement.
I agree, and if he does improve his burst and find that 2nd gear, he will be really nasty.

I hope so, because the way he gets loose, if he gets faster and can pull away, he's going to make allot of trips to the house!

I like the poor man's Reggie Bush comparison a lot. McKnight came to USC really hyped as a top recruit who people thought would be the next Bush, and didn't live up to those expectations but has a similar skill set. I think he can have the same kind of impact on an NFL team, granted probably in a lesser capacity.

Also I believe he's had dollar symbols on his eye black before in the past, which is probably why he left early despite having a lot to gain by staying till his senior year. Guy wants to get paid, and he's not going to get the kind of money he wants on a 4th round contract. I think getting drafted so late COULD be a wake up call and lead him to work his ass off to get the money he wants after his rookie deal is up. Hopefully that happens and leads to a good few years with the Jets.

I think somebody on this board said McKnight is a slow version of Reggie Bush. Personally I never saw him play besides the highlights on youtube, but in comparison to Bush, whose an East-West runner, McKnight is a North-South runner who taps through the hole and goes down at contact.

Hopefully he either gets a 2nd gear to have hr ability or power behind his running, bc he won't see holes that big at the NFL level.

the guy is no where near as elusive as Leon WAS. I realize that might be all past tense now but we had a special player in Leon, sucks that he's gone.
I know I hate the way things ended for Leon here, he was really something else!

I like the way he looks out in the slot. Last year we were trying Woodhaad there. Now we will be able to choose between Cotchery, McKnight and Tomlinson. Leon had good hands, but he did not look like a receiver whether it was his fault, the play calls or the QB. He had a few nice ones in the preseason, but during the regular season it was all screens and checkdowns. This guy looke good catching slants and WR screens. Seems like a nice weapon.

Martin had great hands.

Great? C'mon. The guy could catch, but he was far from a fluid receiver.

I think people are overlooking compatibility with the zone blocking system. This guy can pick and choose holes very well, let plays develop and than motor through them. His style actually reminds me a lot of Shonn Greene, though I understand their physical attributes are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

But yeah, he's not as fast as Leon was. The ball slows the runner down but by a different amount for each runner. I think with the ball in his hand Leon was the fastest player in the NFL for several years. I hope he comes back 100%, especially considering he's on a team that is no threat to the Jets.

I think McKnight runs like LT with those quick jukes. Give him a couple years in an NFL strength program, let him add 10 lbs to his lower body and (fingers crossed) he could be elite.

I can't think of a better way to have LT benefit the team than to have him mentor a player of like-ability, about to start his rookie year. It's all about the off-season.

on edit:

LT is 5'10, 220

JM is 6'0, 200

That is a huge difference in body type, but they still run similarly (juke wise)

the guy is no where near as elusive as Leon WAS. I realize that might be all past tense now but we had a special player in Leon, sucks that he's gone.

I agree! With the way the NFl is these daysits hard to get attached to players. I'd absolutely DIE if Keller got traded!

every bit as shifty as leon was,if not more.but the nail on the head was 'no second gear speed'.looks like he hangs the ball out there to be stripped.looks to be a little more psyical than leon,tho.hopefully mcknight will make us forget about leon,until one of his small bones is snapped like a twig.monsters tackling small dudes.bound to happen.(hopefully not)

The thing I find so funny about this is I've been hearing this comment a lot and its the same exact criticism Leon received when he came out in the draft. Does everyone so quickly forget the collective groaning that then continued when during his first preseason he broke free on a kick return and got chased down from behind? That is something he actually improved on as time went by. That said, I still don't think Leon was ever one for amazing blinding speed, his greatest benefit was always his shiftiness and getting past the defenders much more than flat out outrunning them. Its not a criticism of Leon, but from a pure scouting standpoint I think McKnight is no different at all than Leon was when he came out. Hell, consider that Greene was greatly criticized for being slow when coming out and he broke off a few long TDs for the Jets late last year.

sanchise will really benefit from having backs who can catch a pass and do something with it

we haven't had that since.....

since.....

freeman ?

Richie Anderson did a nice job out of the backfield. He took a screen something like 70 yards against the Colts in the playoffs.

mcknight is like a perfect synthesis of TJ and Leon.

He does a lot of the same things in the hole that TJ does, watch you'll see it.

Remember TJ tryimg to bounce outside? Mcknight has the same tendency and looks the same way doing it, except he has thee speed to get to the corner.

very shifty in the hole though like TJ with some LW's shake and stutter.

notice how hard a runner he is. not a typical *****.

When will you people learn that highlights mean nothing. You realize a highlight film could be made of Jamarcus Russel and make him look like the best QB ever under the right narration.

The two most Important things a highlight film can not show you is consistency and heart. Make your judgement when these kids actully step on the field all 16 games.

Time will tell and i am no NFL scout but it looks like he runs too upright to break many tackles. I hope I'm wrong.

He needs a little more bulk in the legs they are like 2 toothpicks. I dont expect this kid to break many tackles at all but then he wont be used in that capacity. Shott will try to design plays to get this kid in space. Once hes hit hes going down.

Archived