Pats Released Adalius Thomas

SoFlaJets

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the elsewhere is here.

SIGN THIS BEAST is right...he never played better than when he did in Rex Ryan's defense-so whose slot would he take? Gholston's OLB spot since he is being moved to DE as Ellis' backup?

SIGN THIS BEAST is right...he never played better than when he did in Rex Ryan's defense-so whose slot would he take? Gholston's OLB spot since he is being moved to DE as Ellis' backup?

Basically. With Gholston at end we only have seven linebackers including Laury who will see roughly zero defensive snaps. After Pace/Taylor, Thomas/Westerman, and Scott/Harris, it's either Thomas or Kenwin Cummings. Tough call.

Basically. With Gholston at end we only have seven linebackers including Laury who will see roughly zero defensive snaps. After Pace/Taylor, Thomas/Westerman, and Scott/Harris, it's either Thomas or Kenwin Cummings. Tough call.

LOL

good work Aten-I was wondering whose spot he will not would, WILL take-no big loss if it's Cummings

when does the final 8 rulel expire???

Basically never for all that it actually matters. Even then we can only sign guys who don't get a June 1 tender and who by that point will have been passed over by all the non-final 8 teams. Much better players are being cut right now than will become available to us when the restrictions lift.

Yes, but one of those LBs is Dr. Death David "the Hitman" Harris, Awesome Kick-Ass Linebacker #52, a.k.a. "Pookie."

I like Thomas and the idea that Rex could turn his game back around by bringing him back to the system that he thrived under. But, he's going to want to start and I don't know if that's going to happen. Pace has earned his spot and as far as I'm concerned is the team's best pass rusher. Taylor is only here for one year really so Thomas is obviously the more attractive of the two. I guess we could rotate the three and move BT back in the depth chart. This could really solidify our pass rush. I expect Taylor and BT to be gone next year as we have eight others who need to be resigned.

I like Thomas and the idea that Rex could turn his game back around by bringing him back to the system that he thrived under. But, he's going to want to start and I don't know if that's going to happen. Pace has earned his spot and as far as I'm concerned is the team's best pass rusher. Taylor is only here for one year really so Thomas is obviously the more attractive of the two. I guess we could rotate the three and move BT back in the depth chart. This could really solidify our pass rush. I expect Taylor and BT to be gone next year as we have eight others who need to be resigned.

I doubt it would BE an issue MMS, in Rex Ryan's defense EVERYBODY plays and if it's so important to be the guy called starter well Rex will just do what he did with Rhodes last year when he bellyached about-let him play the first down on defense and then do exactly what you were gonna do all along-follow the gameplan and play both players.

Doubtful that Thomas has a Rhodes-sized ego

By Rich Cimini

Adalius Thomas, finally released Monday by the Patriots after months of speculation, is a Rex Ryan guy. They spent six seasons together in Baltimore (2001-06), where Thomas went from an unheralded sixth-round draft pick into a two-time Pro Bowl selection. His best year was 2006 -- a contract year, perhaps not coincidentally -- when he recorded a career-high 11 sacks.

The questions is, do the Jets have room for him after signing pass rusher Jason Taylor? Right now, they have three veteran outside linebackers, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas and Taylor. The fourth 'backer, Vernon Gholston, no longer is a 'backer, having been moved to the defensive line. The Jets didn't confirm the Gholston switch until Saturday, claiming it was contingent on the Taylor signing, but I suspect he could've ended up there anyway, even if Taylor didn't come.

That leads you to believe the Jets will have some interest in Thomas. The thing about him is that he knows Ryan's scheme so well and he can play almost anywhere. He can play inside 'backer, defensive end, even slide into defensive tackle in certain packages. Now he's 32, not the player he used to be, but you have to think his versatility is intriguing to the Jets.

Notice the Jets didn't draft an outside linebacker, passing on TCU's Jerry Hughes with the 29th pick. Obviously, Taylor's arrival reduced the need, but maybe -- just maybe -- Ryan was thinking ahead to a possible reunion with Thomas.

Bart Scott, another ex-Raven, did some chirping about Thomas and the Jets during a March radio interview with ESPN's "Mike and Mike."

"It's funny," Scott said. "I was hanging with Adalius Thomas for Super Bowl weekend. We're buddies from back in the day. He made it public that he's expressed in interest in joining Rex. I think some of his better years of his career have been a part of the Ravens' defense and under Rex Ryan's tutelage. It'll be exciting."

Thomas later told the Boston Herald that he never made those comments to Scott. We'll see.

Archived