Where did you go to College?

PS17

A buddy of mine went to Laffayette for engineering, and right out the gate(no post-grad) kids making probably 4x I am working on the new World Trade Center.

But that might be a case of who he knew not what he knew. Not to

No, it's a case of him not majoring in Underwater Basket Weaving.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, it's a case of him not majoring in Underwater Basket Weaving.

Haha, I didn't mean it like that. But In retrospect I probably could have left that part out.

Cause you still need the degree even if you know someone that could help you out. If someone gave me that job, I'd probably try to build it out of legos and some spare K'Nex.

Funny you mention that. I just got back from a college fair a while ago. All I know is that I want to do something engineering-related. Stanford or MIT would be ideal, but Holy Cross or other schools work for me.

If I could do it over it would be poly science/law with a goal of politics OR industrial design. As you can see from that my brain is all over the place, both good and bad i suppose. Industrial design would be a lot of fun, just thinking up and creating cool stuff all day. Most of the time when I buy or use something new the first thing I do is analyze what works and especially what doesn't work and how it could be better.

On holy cross, I spent 2 weeks there at basketball camp, great campus, cool place. But I would be heading somewhere south, and maybe west, if I were a kid off to college. Man if I could go back tot he second I walked out of the hospital after my year in treatment, I would be going in a 180 degree direction from what I took.

If you 99% plan on Post-Grad, then go to Holy Cross or 'other schools' for Undergrad, and save Stanford and MIT for your Post Grad degree.

I'm not sure I agree with this... BUT: The president of Stanford University, John L. Hennessy, got his undergrad degree in Engineering from Villanova and his Ph.D. from Stony Brook (SUNY). He also founded MIPS Computer Systems.

In the hard sciences and Engineering you will get a job if you are competent no matter where you go to school at any level. If you want to be an academic, you can get a Ph.D. in engineering at SUNY and end up running an elite private university.

That said: Getting a B.S. in Engineering at MIT isn't going to close any doors.

EDIT: If you want to go to law school for some reason (don't, but if you do), an Ivy/Stanford/MIT undergrad looks good on your resume and may open a few doors, but it's your law school that will ultimately matter. You could graduate from the University of Phoenix Online, but if you can get into Yale Law (I doubt they've ever accepted a UofPHX grad, but if you had a perfect LSAT, I bet they'd consider it) you're going to be in good shape.

EDIT: If you want to go to law school for some reason (don't, but if you do), an Ivy/Stanford/MIT undergrad looks good on your resume and may open a few doors, but it's your law school that will ultimately matter. You could graduate from the University of Phoenix Online, but if you can get into Yale Law (I doubt they've ever accepted a UofPHX grad, but if you had a perfect LSAT, I bet they'd consider it) you're going to be in good shape.

70% LSAT, 20% GPA, 10% rest of resume ;)

If you choose Law School do everything you can to get into a Top14 Law School. You will have your choice of jobs.

70% LSAT, 20% GPA, 10% rest of resume ;)

If you choose Law School do everything you can to get into a Top14 Law School. You will have your choice of jobs.

The rest of your resume doesn't even factor in for some schools. The rankings are a powerful beast, and only LSAT and GPA can be quantified.

GPA doesn't matter as much for Engineering grads, btw. Engineers that go to law school are presumably going to become IP/Patent attorneys.

The rest of your resume doesn't even factor in for some schools. The rankings are a powerful beast, and only LSAT and GPA can be quantified.

GPA doesn't matter as much for Engineering grads, btw. Engineers that go to law school are presumably going to become IP/Patent attorneys.

I meant 10% resume is sometimes used as tiebreaker for the Top14.

Most have 165 or higher for Top14 applications.

PS17, NYJUNC, SouthernJet and others who spend time in the College Sports thread (particularly College Basketball) already know this... And for the rest of you that haven't figured it out from my Avatar and Sig...

I earned my degree from Syracuse University as a Sports Management major with a minor in Coching (Physical Education).

I was also a manager of the Men's Basketball team for three of my four years there....

I had a scholarship to go to SCAD for photography, but I turned it down to go to SUNY Cortland.

I am a complete idiot.

Edit: I just wanted to add that they shouldn't allow 17 year old to make these decisions.

Ya, Thor had photos of SCAD's Dean of Admissions with a sheep

My dad got his masters from there.

Pretty funny--I was like 6 at the time. Apparently I asked if they all hold hands and sing graduation songs. My dad's white hair shined out from all the 20 and 30 year olds there. lol

Yeah, Hunter was cool. Met some people who have become long time friends. I do feel however that I've taught myself much more than Hunter or NSU ever did. I could have avoided alot of forced conditioning and debt if I knew then what I know today. I dont think I was mature enough to trust my own intuition then.

Archived