Rex had a hard on for John Conner on draft day, now we know why

s dubb

:character0293:<------ John Conner

Fifth-round pick John Conner, a fullback from Kentucky, didn't get much pub Saturday because ... well, it's easy to get overlooked when your team cuts a nine-time Pro Bowl lineman and trades one of its most popular players. But we did find out a little something about Conner: He was one of Rex Ryan's favorite players in the draft.

Now I know why.

Spoke to a scouting buddy of mine today and he raved about Conner's toughness and blocking skills.

"He's a hammer," said the scout, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "He didn't carry the ball much in college (only 54 times), but I'm telling you now, he'll knock you on your (butt). I watched him at the Senior Bowl. He was an easy study. Oh, my God, he's an old-fashioned, I-fullback. Woody Hayes and John McKay would've loved this guy. He would've been an all-American under Woody Hayes."

Now we know why Conner's nickname in college was " Now we know why Conner's nickname in college was "The Terminator." As a rookie, Conner is expected to back up Tony Richardson and contribute on special teams, but he sounds like the ideal heir apparent on a team that believes in "Ground & Pound.

Lets hope so...

I really liked this pick... And not just because his name was John Connor.

Say what you want about this draft, but every one of our picks will make the team, and that is rare.

This has more or less been the case for us since 07. The only shaky draft we had was 08..the rest have been fine.

I like Conner, but if we are transforming into a more pass-happy offense — which seems to be the case with the recent acquisitions — it would have been nice if he had the ability to, you know, catch.

When we're in passing situations, its likely he won't be on the field. We have plenty of other guys who can catch the rock. I swear man, I think you're being negative just to be negative. Its not like Richardson has been asked to catch the ball in this offense, so why should Conner be, either?

I like Conner, but if we are transforming into a more pass-happy offense — which seems to be the case with the recent acquisitions — it would have been nice if he had the ability to, you know, catch.
We are still a run first team, and if we pass to a back, why would it be him, with LT and McKnight on the team? :confused:

When we're in passing situations, its likely he won't be on the field. We have plenty of other guys who can catch the rock. I swear man, I think you're being negative just to be negative. Its not like Richardson has been asked to catch the ball in this offense, so why should Conner be, either?

I was under the impression the offense was going to be evolving.

Did we bring in Santonio Holmes to block?

No, but when we get Holmes in week 5, its likely we'll be trading in our 2-WR sets for lots of 3-WR sets plus Keller. In those situations, again, Conner is the player who comes out.

We have LOTS of flexibility on offense with the personnel we have. While Conner doesn't appear to be a pass-catching FB, it seems that he's good at the role we'll NEED him to be; being a road-grader in the ground-and-pound aspect of our scheme.

You can't pigeon-hole our offense as JUST a running team or JUST a passing team anymore, which is what may make us difficult to predict.

Yes we will pass more, it would be hard not to, we ranked last in pass attempts last year.

That does not mean we stop being a run first team!

So did we bring in 2 RB's and a FB to stop running all together?

GEESH!

No, but when we get Holmes in week 5, its likely we'll be trading in our 2-WR sets for lots of 3-WR sets plus Keller. In those situations, again, Conner is the player who comes out.

We have LOTS of flexibility on offense with the personnel we have. While Conner doesn't appear to be a pass-catching FB, it seems that he's good at the role we'll NEED him to be; being a road-grader in the ground-and-pound aspect of our scheme.

You can't pigeon-hole our offense as JUST a running team or JUST a passing team anymore, which is what may make us difficult to predict.

Let's hope Schotty gets the memo.

This has more or less been the case for us since 07. The only shaky draft we had was 08..the rest have been fine.

I'm not even saying the drafts were bad, but most times, late round picks are a waste. This time, everyone will be a contributor, I believe.

We are one of the only teams with a fullback...the last major one was the Chargers when LT was a top back, they moved away from it the past few years though (another reason why LT might surprise people this year, and not be done).

After we win the SB, everyone will start going after a FB, so they'll be much harder to come by. Right now we got insane value, since nobody else wants one. Richardson is a beast too, what a guy to learn from.

Archived