Vikings hire ex-FBI agent as security head-

faba

Updated: Oct. 17, 2005, 10:42 AM ET

After Tags meeting, Vikings hire ex-FBI agentAssociated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Vikings owner Zygi Wilf hired a former FBI agent as the team's new Director of Security after meeting with NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

Wilf and Tagliabue met Sunday morning near Chicago.

Former agent Dag Sohlberg has been the team's liaison with NFL Security for five years, but was not a full-time employee.

Wilf requested a face-to-face meeting with Tagliabue as the Vikings deal with allegations of player drunkenness and sexual misconduct on a charter cruise on Lake Minnetonka on Oct. 6.

The men met Sunday morning at a private airfield near Chicago before the team's 28-3 road loss to the Bears. Tagliabue flew back to New York after the meeting.

"The commissioner emphasized to me that I inherited an organization that was inadequately structured and staffed," Wilf said, "and that we must correct that to ensure the highest standards of team operations, including discipline, accountability, strong oversight and internal communications."

The security director will probably be the first of several additions to the front office. Wilf said he as also looking for a "senior executive with deep NFL and outside experience."

Wilf said the commissioner's coming from New York to Chicago just for the meeting was an indication of the NFL's commitment to the Vikings.

"It goes to show you how important the NFL sees this matter and sees how important it is that this organization be directed in the proper manner for the future, and I really appreciated his advice," Wilf said.

Archived