Another Vernon Gholston Thread...but hear me out

Mr.Revis

I see a lot of bashing on Gholston from not the Jets fans here, but Jets fans EVERYWHERE. We practically have called him every bad word that exists but I most hear fans call him unintelligent. With that being said, I don't think we are truly analyzing what the problem is. How was he able to do all that stuff back in Ohio State if he wasnt smart? Being athletic helps, but I just find it hard to believe that was the only thing that made him that successful in college.

Gholston will be making the switch to a different position (De) next season. I think he will suprise all of you guys. Gholston isnt a linebacker, hes a linemen. Hands on the ground type of guy. If he can get up to at least 280 combined with his superior athleticsm, hes will be a force to be reckoned with. :cheers:

Let's hope. Rex is cutting guys all over the place. Even guys they owe $5mil Maybe he had a sit down with the goul and thought he had some drive in him. Who knows?

The fact that we are Considering it, makes me think there's a chance

I see a lot of bashing on Gholston from not the Jets fans here, but Jets fans EVERYWHERE. We practically have called him every bad word that exists but I most hear fans call him unintelligent. With that being said, I don't think we are truly analyzing what the problem is. How was he able to do all that stuff back in Ohio State if he wasnt smart? Being athletic helps, but I just find it hard to believe that was the only thing that made him that successful in college.

Gholston will be making the switch to a different position (De) next season. I think he will suprise all of you guys. Gholston isnt a linebacker, hes a linemen. Hands on the ground type of guy. If he can get up to at least 280 combined with his superior athleticsm, hes will be a force to be reckoned with. :cheers:

Everyone talks about how athletic he is and his amazing combine numbers but his combine numbers sucked on everything that involves change of direction. It was a mistake to ever think he could be a linebacker. In college he got by on strength, hopefully he can do that again once he gets moved back to his real position.

Let's hope. Rex is cutting guys all over the place. Even guys they owe $5mil Maybe he had a sit down with the goul and thought he had some drive in him. Who knows?

yeah, good point. We're cutting guys like faneca that we could use. and keeping shlubs like ghoulston around. for the teams sake i'm hoping he does pan out at de because we need one.

yeah, good point. We're cutting guys like faneca that we could use. and keeping shlubs like ghoulston around. for the teams sake i'm hoping he does pan out at de because we need one.

I heard (as did everyone else lol) Rex was fond of the guys we already had here. Piotua and VG being those guys. Rex is better at this than I am. I have to think they would have cut gholston if he thought there was no chance whatsoever.

Who knows? Maybe VG gets a training camp and a couple preseason games to show it.

Guys guys guys. Rex played him almost exclusively at end this past year. When we moves to 4 man lines, Gholston spent time at end and nothing. When Rex says he's moving to end, means he'll play end in a 3-4 or 4-3.

Basically Rex moving him to 3-4 end means he's done. Pass rushers rush the passer.. OFF THE EDGES. moving Vernon inside is due to the lack of depth we have along the DL and since he's totally shyt at OLB we move him in to give Ellis a breather now and then. The Jets moving Ghoston to 3-4 end spells the beginning of the end and is a slap in face from the Org to Vern.

He'll be a good boy and back up Shaun then the Jets will cut his ass next year.

Guys guys guys. Rex played him almost exclusively at end this past year. When we moves to 4 man lines, Gholston spent time at end and nothing. When Rex says he's moving to end, means he'll play end in a 3-4 or 4-3.

Basically Rex moving him to 3-4 end means he's done. Pass rushers rush the passer.. OFF THE EDGES. moving Vernon inside is due to the lack of depth we have along the DL and since he's totally shyt at OLB we move him in to give Ellis a breather now and then. The Jets moving Ghoston to 3-4 end spells the beginning of the end and is a slap in face from the Org to Vern.

He'll be a good boy and back up Shaun then the Jets will cut his ass next year.

This.

3-4 DE is NOTHING like the position he played at Ohio State. The closest thing in a 3-4 D to what he did in college was OLB. What is really scary is he played DE during all the Nickel packages, which had 4 men on the line and is pretty much exactly what a 4-3 DE does and he still didn't do squat. Add the fact that the only way he gets to 280 lbs is to get fat, which I highly doube he's going to to. He's extremely vain about his physique and he certainly isn't going to add 30 lbs of muscle in such a short time...legally anyway.

"I know its another ghoulston thread" you said. "Just hear me out" you said. And now I still think Gholston sucks and I can't get back the last 45 seconds. New Rule: no more VG threads until there is something new to be said about him. And by new, I mean different. And by different, I mean worth reading. Thank you in advance. SLM

• Upvote 1

+1 I'm done for no Gholston threads. Unless he's cut or until he's sucking in TC there's not much to say about him. I think he'll be alright, but it's stupid to think I can build a convincing argument to why I think that. It's a pointless exercise to even try to do that anyway.

I rather Tom Brady win a SB than this clown.

I try to be judicious in my use of superlatives because if there's one thing the internet has taught us, it's that there's no such thing as an opinion so dumb it can't be topped. That said, I feel pretty confident in declaring that this is the single stupidest thing I have ever read in my life.

Edited by dbatesman

I rather Tom Brady win a SB than this clown.
I try to be judicious in my use of superlatives because if there's one thing the internet has taught us, it's that there's no such thing as an opinion so dumb it can't be topped. That said, I feel pretty confident in declaring that this is the single stupidest thing I have ever read in my life.
I agree! :face: Edited by The Brooklyn Jet

No, that's not what it tells me. Unlike Faneca and Jones, from a financial perspective, Gholston is probably the most difficult player to outright cut (at least in 2010) other than Sanchez, even in an uncapped year. And as far as I know, the latest contract restructuring made it even more difficult to cut him this year. It did, however, make it VERY easy to let go of him in 2011, so its never been more clear he will not be wearing green & white beyond 2010.

I don't think Rex believes Gholston has anything in him, he's just stuck with him and is hoping to get SOMETHING out of him in 2010 before they cut ties in 2011. They moved him to 3-4 DE, probably the least important position in Rex's defense, for this reason; all they want him to do is take up blockers and give DeVito and/or Ellis a rest every once in a while. Let Pace, Westerman, Taylor and Thomas handle OLB duties.

Edited by Jetsfan80

I don't hate the guy and don't really know how intelligent he is. All I know is, after watching him for two years, it appears to me he is simply not a football player. He does not have the instincts needed at this level. Moving him to DE may mitigate this weakness to some degree, but I don't think he is suddenly going to turn into Deacon Jones.

I hope I am wrong.

I don't hate the guy and don't really know how intelligent he is. All I know is, after watching him for two years, it appears to me he is simply not a football player. He does not have the instincts needed at this level. Moving him to DE may mitigate this weakness to some degree, but I don't think he is suddenly going to turn into Deacon Jones.

I hope I am wrong.

You are not wrong.;)