Redskins Release Anthony Montgomery

dbatesman

Paging Gato.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/redskins-release-mitchell-alri.html

Redskins release Mitchell, Alridge, Robinson, Hill, A. Montgomery

Updated at 11:49 a.m.

Last week the Redskins' roster grew, but this week it's shrinking -- and at least one name will surprise you.

The team released five players this morning, including receiver Marko Mitchell, who impressed during preseason last year but appears to be the odd man out following the team's recent veteran free agent signings.

Also released today: running backs Anthony Alridge and P.J. Hill, receiver James Robinson and defensive linemen Anthony Montgomery. But Mitchell's name will be the one that surprises most. A seventh-round draft pick out of Nevada in 2009, Mitchell appeared in 10 games last season and had only 32 yards on four catches. But Mitchell raised the hopes of many with a strong preseason last year, one in which he posted 113 yards on 11 receptions and had touchdown grabs in each of the final three games.

Last week, we asked you in a poll which of eight receivers do you most wanted to see on next year's roster.

More than 7,500 responded and Mitchell was easily the top vote-getter, garnering nearly 75 percent of the vote. Mitchell wasn't a special teams contributer, which could mean Mike Shanahan didn't see him doing enough things justify the roster spot, especially considering newly-drafted Terrence Austin can return punts and kickoffs. It also could mean the team might try to keep either Joey Galloway or Bobby Wade, both of whom signed with the team last week.

By releasing Mitchell and Robinson, the Redskins will likely enter Friday's minicamp with nine wide receivers. As for the other positions, Alridge has struggled to find a role in

Washington. Many thought because of his prior relationship with Shanahan in Denver, he could serve as a speed back for this team. But if the Redskins intend to start the season with Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson and Willie Parker -- plus Ryan Torain, one of Shanahan's last draft picks in Denver -- there's not a lot of room for others.

Montgomery was the Redskins' fifth-round pick in the 2006 draft. He was a restricted free agent who signed a tender last month. But the Redskins brought in so many veteran defensive linemen since then that coaches likely didn't see a spot remaining for Montgomery. At 6-foot-6, 330 pounds, Montgomery might've had the body to play nose tackle, if not the skill-set. He was a regular starter on the line for the Redskins in 2007, but last year didn't crack the starting rotation once. He has appeared in 42 games for the Redskins in four seasons, playing a role in 78 tackles and registering three sacks.

The Redskins have added six veteran defensive linemen during the offseason: Darrion Scott, Adam Carriker, Howard Green, Anthony Bryant, Maake Kemoeatu and Greg Peterson.

By Rick Maese | May 3, 2010; 11:37 AM ET

Interesting that one of the guys the 'Skins added to allow them to release Montgomery is Howard Green.

Interesting in a bad way.

Yea...for them. Who wants Howard Green on their roster?

Actually, the 'Skins are generally loaded with big DL.

Yea...for them. Who wants Howard Green on their roster?

Actually, the 'Skins are generally loaded with big DL.

Sounds like a case of strenght in numbers. They brought in a boatload of DL's hoping some of them will make it.

funny-pictures-racoon-yes.jpg

Sign the beast! Get a talented DL in here now please...preferably one that isn't 300 years old but has "been in the system" like Douglas.

Definitely worth signing now.

But thank the lord you don't run the Jets because the team would have given up a 5th for Montgomery and then wouldn't be in the position to trade for Santonio.

If that happened, what would the NY media talk about? Ipodgate kept them busy for at least 2 days.

So just to recap. Montgomery cut. Oghobaanagannaworkhereanymore undrafted. Gato sad.

Well...Montgomery's free to sign now so that's not going to make me sad.

Oghobaase signing with the Dolphins was admittedly devestating. I feel betrayed by that. They're somewhat loaded with DE's so maybe he gets cut and we sign him. There shall always be hope!

SMC - I would have held out on Montgomery...if I was running the team I'd probably have info about situations like Santonio Holmes, which pretty much came out of LF. Or maybe I just wait until the Steelers cut him like they were rumored to be doing if they got nothing for him anyway...

. Or maybe I just wait until the Steelers cut him like they were rumored to be doing if they got nothing for him anyway...

..and then of course the Jets would have no chance to sign him being #29 on the list to get a crack at him

I don't think he ever recovered from Dre Moore and his gigantic man-boobs falling to the 4th.

I don't remember being ridiculous on Dre Moore. It's possible I guess...

But either way Oghobaase and Montgomery >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dre Moore

I don't remember being ridiculous on Dre Moore. It's possible I guess...

Because I can :biggrin:

Dre Moore is just a beast. He's scary strong, and has the right size and skillset for the position [Doggin's note: 3-4 DE].

IMO he's becoming the best 3-4 D-line prospect in this draft.

He'll get the "he takes plays off" knock, but so do most 300+ D-linemen....it's an overrated label.

I've seen him play against Rutgers, and he impressed me then and there. I had heard a little about him, and liked what I heard. Things like "freak athlete at his position" and "ability to play any position on the 3-4 D-line" and etc. were being said about this guy.

Most people have him anywhere from #1 to #5 in their DT rankings, most have him just below Dorsey.

Anyone else hoping for this guy to be our Richard Seymour? He's passed Jackson as my favorite 3-4 D-line prospect in this draft, and I expect "physical freak" to get thrown out after the combine. At 6'4 310+ he's got the size.

Heres a thread on NFLDC on him:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14113

QFT.

Long is getting kind of overrated here...he's a beast and a top talent in this draft...but Phillips and IMO Groves are better options for us.

I think people will be talking less about Long and more about Pressley and Moore when it comes to DEs. I like them both better as 3-4 D-linemen.

And my personal favorite:

DRE MOORE IS A GREAT MAN!! :grin:

Sorry GGI...I wasn't blessed with patience...I got flagged alot for encroachment...

:(

:cheers:

^^ Ah. Sucks that it turned out that Dre Moore was not a great man in the NFL.

Oghobaase and Montgomery >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dre Moore

Plus, if Rex got Dre Moore then Dre Moore would be more Rexgressive.

Archived