I now work for the worlds biggest airline

slowmoe57

That right the United/Continental meger is going to **** my life up.

Just found out today I will be transferred to Chicago in mid 2012 (unless the world ends of course.) I am not a happy camper - I have carved out a nice life here in Texas Have a nice house inwhich I put my heart and soul into making it very comfy -- nicce backyard area pool a nice oasis for my family and myself. 4,000 sq foot home that I paid 170 grand 10 years ago and have to move somewhere to a house half the size for twice the money -- going from no state tax to state tax - going from playing golf in Febuary to freezing my balls off for 7 montha a year. only plus I will be making quite abit more money but that will only offset the extra expences I will have -- unfortunatly I have nothing to fall back on and have no choice in the matter. My son grads high school in 2012 so moving wont kill him but I may just get a crash pad there and commute back and forth for a couple of years -

Is there anyting good about Chicago as to where I would be excited about moving there

I am very bummed right now.

NJ lives in that area - reach out for advice on that area to him.

Unfortunately when you are established in life that really hits hard.

If anything I have a good amount of vacation time and know how to mainipulate my work sked so I am leaning towards commuting. already have several co-workers to invest in a pad either house of condo so maybe it wont be so bad. 10-12 years before I plan to retire.

Is there anyting good about Chicago as to where I would be excited about moving there

Chicago is my 2nd fav U.S. city right after NYC. It's got a big city vibe that is very cool. Great sports town and even better music town. Excellent food and tons to do there.

If you can tolerate a couple months of winter, you're in biz.

I'd like to live there.

Chicago's been called the biggest small town in the US. This is because you can talk to people...and they'll talk back to you. Not like NYC where people compete with the French to ignore you.

Plenty of cool things to do in the city.

Lots of suburbs if you don't want to be in the city. Many people commute into town on trains.

You can even move north of town toward southern Wisconsin if you like.

Couldn't blame you for going the crash pad route. Chicago winters are actually significantly worse than people say, and cost of living is absurd. All that notwithstanding, as cities go it's a great place to live in general, and a near-perfect place to live for about eight months a year in particular.

I know you're saying that you don't have options, but right now would really be the time to put together a professional resume and start some serious job hunting. You really don't know until you look.

Then, in a worst case scenario, you move to a city that lots of people love for a pay raise. ;)

I know you're saying that you don't have options, but right now would really be the time to put together a professional resume and start some serious job hunting. You really don't know until you look.

Then, in a worst case scenario, you move to a city that lots of people love for a pay raise. ;)

I have been an aircraft dispatcher for 24 years now -- 25th anniversary in October. out of 114 dispatchers on my union seniorty listI am number 8. that is alot to throw away and when we integrate with the other carrier I should still have sweet seniority. To start fresh somewhere else dose not sit to well with me especially since I am getting ready to send my son to college in a couple of years. I sttill have 18-24 months to get a bigger picture -- alot of specs are cloudy now - thanx for your input.

I have been an aircraft dispatcher for 24 years now -- 25th anniversary in October. out of 114 dispatchers on my union seniorty listI am number 8. that is alot to throw away and when we integrate with the other carrier I should still have sweet seniority. To start fresh somewhere else dose not sit to well with me especially since I am getting ready to send my son to college in a couple of years. I sttill have 18-24 months to get a bigger picture -- alot of specs are cloudy now - thanx for your input.

I'm in a similar spot, with good union seniority in a good job, but I've thought about it with my company changing hands a couple times. I get how it can be real uncomfortable thinking about making the change.

But the thing is, you don't have to take any other jobs. You're just looking. Maybe you can get a management job with someone who'll give you a decent amount of vacation time. Maybe you can make more money right there. It's the vacation time that kept me where I am, so I get that, too. Just think you should explore all your options before you close the door on them.

Either way, good luck, man!

It's going to **** everyone's life up. Continental's been murdering fares enough as it is, now with this you're going to need to take out small loans if you want to travel more than once or twice per year. Terrible news for consumers.

If anything I have a good amount of vacation time and know how to mainipulate my work sked so I am leaning towards commuting. already have several co-workers to invest in a pad either house of condo so maybe it wont be so bad. 10-12 years before I plan to retire.

I have a couple of good friends who commuted from Boston to Austin. They kept their houses in Boston when they took jobs in Austin. Both of their wives decided to stay in Boston so they had long-distance marriages for a while. It was tough at times, but do-able.

I have another friend who moved to Austin in 2006 from Chicago. She's now trying to go back, but is having trouble selling her Austin house. The draw for her in Chicago is her family, friends, and new fiancee. It's definitely not the weather. She's a golfer and enjoys the warm TX weather. She's not changing jobs, they'll allow her to work from the Chicago office. I can ask her if there's anything else bringing her back.

Just found out today I will be transferred to Chicago in mid 2012 (unless the world ends of course.) I am not a happy camper - I have carved out a nice life here in Texas Have a nice house inwhich I put my heart and soul into making it very comfy -- nicce backyard area pool a nice oasis for my family and myself. 4,000 sq foot home that I paid 170 grand 10 years ago and have to move somewhere to a house half the size for twice the money -- going from no state tax to state tax - going from playing golf in Febuary to freezing my balls off for 7 montha a year. only plus I will be making quite abit more money but that will only offset the extra expences I will have -- unfortunatly I have nothing to fall back on and have no choice in the matter. My son grads high school in 2012 so moving wont kill him but I may just get a crash pad there and commute back and forth for a couple of years -

Not to minimize your dilemma, but be thankful your still employed with the airline...lost my job of 20 years with Pan Am when they went belly up with a then 10 and 5 year old....wasn't easy losing my pension and almost a lot more.

Not to minimize your dilemma, but be thankful your still employed with the airline...lost my job of 20 years with Pan Am when they went belly up with a then 10 and 5 year old....wasn't easy losing my pension and almost a lot more.

Oh trust me NS I am very gratefull -- my boss told us yesterday that if US AIR had merged with United that It would have crushed Continental and I would probably been out of a job in 3 years or so -- now that I have gotten over the shock of it all. After talking with the better half I will commute for 2 years then she will join me in Chicago get a condo somewhere and save until we retire in about another 12 years from now God willing of course. I really have no family or strong friendships here anyway and will look at this as a new chapter in my life.- Things could be alot worse.

Funny you mention PAN-AM I started with NY AIR to start my career and decided to move to Texas when COAIR took over - several of my co-workers then went over to PAM-AM - Looks like I made the right decision back then.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Oh trust me NS I am very gratefull -- my boss told us yesterday that if US AIR had merged with United that It would have crushed Continental and I would probably been out of a job in 3 years or so -- now that I have gotten over the shock of it all. After talking with the better half I will commute for 2 years then she will join me in Chicago get a condo somewhere and save until we retire in about another 12 years from now God willing of course. I really have no family or strong friendships here anyway and will look at this as a new chapter in my life.- Things could be alot worse.

Funny you mention PAN-AM I started with NY AIR to start my career and decided to move to Texas when COAIR took over - several of my co-workers then went over to PAM-AM - Looks like I made the right decision back then.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Pan Am was a joke of an airline. I started working for National Airlines (Fly Me...I'm Peggy) and then in '80, Pan Am bought National. National was a great airline to work for...small and family like. Along comes Pan Am that didn't know two ****s about running domestics routes. As the years went on, they didn't accept change with deregulation and still operated with champagne taste on a beer budget...started selling off routes and then the Lockerbie thing just about put the final nail in it.

It was bitter sweet as I look back...lost everything, but I opened up my own business and thankfully, I did. Good luck in Chicago.

Archived