Favre told a fellow player he's "100 percent positive" he's retiring

SoFlaJets

I'd hate for this guy to be the Jets QB and have to go through this year after year after year after year after year after year. At least when The Diva signed with us we at least knew he WAS going to play that year. Once again, it's all about Favre with this guy.

I'd hate for this guy to be the Jets QB and have to go through this year after year after year after year after year after year. At least when The Diva signed with us we at least knew he WAS going to play that year. Once again, it's all about Favre with this guy.

I hate to be standing behind him at a Baskin-Robbins, Be in for a long night.

Brett has to put in extra work this year to keep people talking about him with all of these recent football distractions. I bet he silently curses Big Ben for the ingenius PR move of raping a co-ed to get his name to the top.

I have no ill will toward Favre, whatsoever. He helped this team tremendously over the long haul (indirectly, that is).

But, man, did he screw the Vikings. The Vikes had to know what they were getting into, but Favre has left them out there without a safety net.

You could blame the Vikings, but if they knew Favre was done they would have gone hard after McNabb. They could have gone after Cambell. Heck, they should have drafted Clausen.

I know LT is happy he chose the Jets. That would have sucked for him if he went to the Vikes and Favre retired.

I have no ill will toward Favre, whatsoever. He helped this team tremendously over the long haul (indirectly, that is).

But, man, did he screw the Vikings. The Vikes had to know what they were getting into, but Favre has left them out there without a safety net.

You could blame the Vikings, but if they knew Favre was done they would have gone hard after McNabb. They could have gone after Cambell. Heck, they should have drafted Clausen.

I know LT is happy he chose the Jets. That would have sucked for him if he went to the Vikes and Favre retired.

yea he did help us finally end the Pennington era

of course he says he's retiring

how else can he squeezae a few more mill from the vikes ?

how else can he skip two-a-days ?

how else can he have espn showing his jet landing in minny ?

yea he did help us finally end the Pennington era

Yeah, I'll never think anything bad of Favre as a Jet. He brought a lot of excitement and that excitement has carried over to how I view Sanchez.

As a football fan I empathize with the Vikings fans (look at their history of gut wrenching loses) and while Favre brought them excitement he really screwed them now.

That's an older team with no QB. That's a really tough situation.

If this is true, then he's a real Dbag..especially since they passed on Clausen and McCoy in the draft because they trusted Favre would be back.

Wait a second now, the Vikes should hve drafted a qb EVEN if Favre is coming back. That way, the qb could sit for a year and be tutored by Favre. I think the Vikes are retarded for not drafting Clausen, just dosent make sense to me.

Wait a second now, the Vikes should hve drafted a qb EVEN if Favre is coming back. That way, the qb could sit for a year and be tutored by Favre. I think the Vikes are retarded for not drafting Clausen, just dosent make sense to me.

I agree that if Minny felt they needed a QB they should have drafted one OTOH I have never read one QB ever say that Favre helped them. It's always been about Favre with Favre-he could care less about how any other player at that position does. If he ever did help someone and that guy ends up breaking one of his records he'd never forgive himself.

I'll believe it on opening weekend if he's still in Mississippi. He loves the lime light too much.

I'll believe it on opening weekend if he's still in Mississippi. He loves the lime light too much.

If you read Twiiter you see that even the sports writers are sick of this same story every year

Brett has to put in extra work this year to keep people talking about him with all of these recent football distractions. I bet he silently curses Big Ben for the ingenius PR move of raping a co-ed to get his name to the top.

That is pretty damn funny.

I will be forever grateful for what Favre did for the Jets. If not for him, the Jets are coming off another mediocre season with Mangini as our coach and Pennington getting ready to begin his campaign for his third consecutive CBPOY award.

That said, the Vikings only have themselves to blame for this situation. They knew what they were getting into the second they signed him and they should have known from the beginning that signing him meant they needed to have a backup plan going forward after his first season. Even if you give them a pass for not making a play for McNabb or even Campbell, passing on Clausen and McCoy multiple times is just idiotic. If Favre isn't coming back, you've got a top prospect who even if you don't start at the beginning of the year, you can likely get playing time at some point and bring him in next year. If Favre does come back, then no problem, your rookie sits on the bench for a year. No matter what, Favre isn't sticking around THAT much longer, so getting a young QB isn't go to hurt you. Just horrible, horrible decision-making by the Vikings.

As long as you guys keep starting these threads I guess I'll say it-Favre never had any trouble with training camp until he turned 36, the age most good QB's retire.

I think Favre thinks he is done at the end of every season, and it takes a long process to bring himself to do it again, during which even Favre doesn't think he's going to make it.

Anybody who believes what Favre says about coming back until the week before the first preseason game probably shouldn't advertise it. And the team he's with knows that.

And yes, at Favre's age two a days are out of the question, so if he misses them by playing games with his statements, so what?

What Favre did "TO" the Vikings???!!?? Get real. If taking them to the NFC championship is some great affliction then I think the Vikings fans are hoping for a plague of it. They weren't getting anywhere with Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels. They're an aging team, so drafting a rookie QB likely wouldn't solve anything for them last season either. And as much as it's popular to blast Favre for the interception it seems people forget that Adrian Peterson treated the football like a live hand grenade. The success or failure of the Vikings last year and this year relies solely on Brett Favre.

What Favre did "TO" the Vikings???!!?? Get real. If taking them to the NFC championship is some great affliction then I think the Vikings fans are hoping for a plague of it.

Spoilsport. Here they had a perfectly good "Ewww! I just HATE that Brett Favre" bitchfest going and you have to come in and ruin it with common sense!

You can argue that he prevented the Vikings from drafting Clausen.

How so? If the Vikings coveted Clausen they would have taken him. It's not like Favre is going to be around for 5 more years. The only reason the Vikings didn't take Clausen is because they don't feel he is their future. Alot of teams felt the same way, hence why he dropped like a rock. The Vikings need a QB of the future whether Favre plays again or not. They probably feel they're odds are better in next year's draft. The only thing Favre may have prevented MIN from doing is signing McNabb if they wanted him.

How so? If the Vikings coveted Clausen they would have taken him. It's not like Favre is going to be around for 5 more years. The only reason the Vikings didn't take Clausen is because they don't feel he is their future. Alot of teams felt the same way, hence why he dropped like a rock. The Vikings need a QB of the future whether Favre plays again or not. They probably feel they're odds are better in next year's draft. The only thing Favre may have prevented MIN from doing is signing McNabb if they wanted him.

I think that's the big one right there.

But then it's up to the Vikes to call Favre up and say, "What the f^ck?" Either sign now, and we'll worry about training camp later, or we're gonna see about getting this McNabb guy to QB us the next few years.

I think they screwed up by not going in that direction. I think they love Favre because it screws with the Packers, but McNabb would've been the better choice for them.

But then it's up to the Vikes to call Favre up and say, "What the f^ck?" Either sign now, and we'll worry about training camp later, or we're gonna see about getting this McNabb guy to QB us the next few years.

I think they screwed up by not going in that direction. I think they love Favre because it screws with the Packers, but McNabb would've been the better choice for them.

It definitely is a big one, as I'm sure McNabb would have signed in MIN over WAS knowing Favre wasn't coming back. But MIN could have simply ended the Favre era and signed McNabb. At least McNabb would have given them a few more years. But again it's not Favre's fault.

It definitely is a big one, as I'm sure McNabb would have signed in MIN over WAS knowing Favre wasn't coming back. But MIN could have simply ended the Favre era and signed McNabb. At least McNabb would have given them a few more years. But again it's not Favre's fault.

Everything is Favre's fault. :P

But no, we're in agreement. Like I said above, I think the Vikes have that "screw the Packers" thing working against them a little bit. Cutting off their nose to spite their face, if you will. McNabb would be dangerous as hell on that roster. With Favre, they'll always be waiting for the season ending pick.

neither mcnabb nor favre will make the vikings a super bowl winning team. the Vikes were in denial... this is good for them they need to move on. As for Brett, the beating he took in the NFC CG, i dont blame him for retiring.

I have to wonder if the Eagles pretty much told Childress that McNabb was shot. He knows McNabb and that organization as well as anyone and the fact that they traded McNabb within the division tells you everything you need to know about what the Eagles actually thought about McNabb at this point. As a fan I dont think McNabb is done and you would think the Vikings would have gone there without a commitment from Brett, but maybe they knew something there. I guess at some point they will go shopping for a QB if Favre really retires.

I have to wonder if the Eagles pretty much told Childress that McNabb was shot. He knows McNabb and that organization as well as anyone and the fact that they traded McNabb within the division tells you everything you need to know about what the Eagles actually thought about McNabb at this point. As a fan I dont think McNabb is done and you would think the Vikings would have gone there without a commitment from Brett, but maybe they knew something there. I guess at some point they will go shopping for a QB if Favre really retires.

Could be. Could be that's how little they think of the Redskins, too.

My feeling is that McNabb was never embraced in Philly, and his Super Bowl puking really cemented the disconnect between him and the fans. He's a guy who really stands out to me as someone who would really benefit from a change in scenery. I think he would've been awesome in Minny's dome with those weapons.

Archived