Whats the first football game you remember watching??

JoeC36

growing up in the 70's, it seemed like the only teams that were ever on tv were the cowboys, steelers and raiders

the first player I remember liking was jack youngblood

cool name

I'd have to say the first game I can remember must have been a cowboys steelers super bowl

Erik McMillan returning a INT for a TD for like 100 yards or something. At the time it was the longest INT return in franchise history. I forget against who, it may have been Indy. I was real little though.

92 yards vs Colts in 1989

2 years later he had an 83-yard return vs the Dolphins.

I remember watching Lam Jones play in Giants Stadium.

I recall watching the Jets play in Shea Stadium.

Super Bowl 19 was the first one I watched but I was only allowed to stay up till halftime. I probably would have gone to bed volitionally anyway, particularly because even at the young age of 7 I already had developed hatred of certain teams and the Dolphins and 49ers happened to be two of those teams.

The first game that I actually watched in full was the Jets Browns playoff game in 1986. But the year before I caught a glimpse of the Bears Pats superbowl. After watching that first Jets game I was hooked on football at the young age of 7. I preceded to watch the Giants Skins NFC championship game and the AFC championship game between the Browns and Broncos and the superbowl that the Giants won. You would think I would become a Giants fan after that but I couldnt get the Jets out if my head after it being the first game I ever watched in full.

Erik McMillan returning a INT for a TD for like 100 yards or something. At the time it was the longest INT return in franchise history. I forget against who, it may have been Indy. I was real little though.

note-

of course, that would have been a regular season record because Darrol Ray returned an interception 98 yards in the playoff game vs Cincinnati in January 1983

I honestly can't remember the first game I ever watched, probably a game in 1967.

But, if you're interested, I do remember the first game I ever attended live:

San Francisco 49ers vs NY Jets

November 28, 1971

Shea Stadium

My dad comes home on Saturday night and surprises me with the news that he's taking me to my first ever Jet game at Shea Stadium the next day. The Jets (4-6), playing the entire season without their star QB, Joe Namath, who was hurt in a preseason game, are playing against the 49ers (6-4), the team leading the NFL in total defense and sacks in Week 11 of the 1971 season.

Now ordinarily, I would have been excited with just the news of seeing my favorite team play live.

But this game had the potential to be very special and my dad knew it.

For the first time in two seasons, my childhood idol Joe Namath had been activated to play in a regular season game, and my dad knowing this, scores two tix in the upper deck to bring his kid to see his football hero play.

Prior to the game, word was that Namath would probably NOT play. After all, he had almost zero practice time and there was even some sense that the Jets did not want to jeopardize his health in what was turning out to be a meaningless season.

Still, 50,000 people show up at Shea on a cold and blistery day hoping to get a glimpse of "The Franchise" who is "Broadway Joe".

I remember the feeling walking into Shea that day. There was an incredible buzz amongst the crowd, an excitement that I don't know if I've experienced since at any sporting event I've ever attended. The game was not sold out, and as a result was "blacked out" in New York, so only the 50,000 people who showed up at Shea got to see, in its entirety, what took place that day.

The game does not start well for the Jets as they fall behind early.

Then it happens.

Starting Jet QB Bob Davis scrambles from the pocket and goes down with an ankle injury in the 2nd quarter after being sacked.

The crowd rises with anticipation, and as the training staff helps the injured Davis off the field, I remember this deafening roar as the gimpy, hunchbacked quarterback with the recognizable facemask rips off the green jacket and throws it to the ground.

After missing 19 straight games in 1970 and 1971 due to injury, Joe Namath returns. The Shea crowd goes wild as #12, activated just a day before the game, trots out onto the field.

Namath gets off to a rocky start, the rust of not playing in two seasons is apparent.

Then, all of a sudden, it's 1968 all over again.

Down 24-0 in the third quarter, and despite playing with a concussion and a swollen jaw after a hit from San Francisco DE Cedrick Hardman in the 3rd quarter, Namath leads the Jets on a furious comeback, throwing for 258 yards and 3 TDs, two within a two minute span in the 4th quarter, pulling the Jets within 24-21.

The Shea Stadium crowd, with very little to cheer about during both the 1970 and 1971 seasons, is electric as the biggest star in the game, after being sidelined for the better part of two seasons, carries the pathetic Jets on his shoulders against the NFL's best defense.

With 1:41 left in the game, Namath and the Jets get the ball back on their own 28 yard line with no timeouts left. Namath proceeds to take apart the top ranked defense in the NFL and in 5 plays has the Jets on the 49er 19 yard line with 8 seconds left in the game. Time for one play.

The Shea crowd stood, goes absolutely wild as Namath drops back to pass, and uncorks a pass intended for Eddie Bell, only to be intercepted by 49er Safety Johnny Fuller in the endzone, ending the great comeback.

While the Jets lost the game, the Shea crowd remained for 15 minutes after the game and continued to applaud.

This synopsis of the game taken from a Namath biography ...

"The game ended on Namath's error, and what might have been a miracle finish became another Jet loss. "I didn't play well at all," said Namath. The records would reflect Namath's day as 11 for 27 and 258 yards, 3 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. But now as ever, his numbers reveal the true poverty of statistics.

"You're my idol, man", said Cedrick Hardman, the man who inflicted the in-game concussion on Namath early in the 3rd quarter, as they walked off the field. Even after all this time away from the game, Namath showed why he remained the quarterback defenses most feared.

"What that guy could do ...", said Jets Center John Schmitt.

Namath started the final three games of that 1971 season, winning two of three, with the only loss coming against the eventual Super Bowl Champion Dallas Cowboys.

The San Francisco game established a tenor for the rest of Namath's career. In rooting for Namath, one was now rooting for the minor miracle. His injuries and subsequent layoffs made them less probable, but even more desired. One could always hope for another brilliant comeback. After all, the man made his name mocking the odds. He was the fix to which both fans and front office types had become addicted. So had his teammates. "No one instills confidence or puts points on the board like Joe Namath", said tight end Rich Caster, noting that guys practiced with more intensity when Joe was with the team. From ownership down, the Jets had come to believe that Joe was trhe sole guarantor of their success. Without him, they were lost. "That was a big problem," said Jets DB Steve Tannen. "When Joe got hurt, everybody took a hike".

Not bad for a first game, huh?

Thanks, Pop.

I honestly can't remember the first game I ever watched, probably a game in 1967.

But, if you're interested, I do remember the first game I ever attended live:

San Francisco 49ers vs NY Jets

November 28, 1971

Shea Stadium

My dad comes home on Saturday night and surprises me with the news that he's taking me to my first ever Jet game at Shea Stadium the next day. The Jets (4-6), playing the entire season without their star QB, Joe Namath, who was hurt in a preseason game, are playing against the 49ers (6-4), the team leading the NFL in total defense and sacks in Week 11 of the 1971 season.

Now ordinarily, I would have been excited with just the news of seeing my favorite team play live.

But this game had the potential to be very special and my dad knew it.

For the first time in two seasons, my childhood idol Joe Namath had been activated to play in a regular season game, and my dad knowing this, scores two tix in the upper deck to bring his kid to see his football hero play.

Prior to the game, word was that Namath would probably NOT play. After all, he had almost zero practice time and there was even some sense that the Jets did not want to jeopardize his health in what was turning out to be a meaningless season.

Still, 50,000 people show up at Shea on a cold and blistery day hoping to get a glimpse of "The Franchise" who is "Broadway Joe".

I remember the feeling walking into Shea that day. There was an incredible buzz amongst the crowd, an excitement that I don't know if I've experienced since at any sporting event I've ever attended. The game was not sold out, and as a result was "blacked out" in New York, so only the 50,000 people who showed up at Shea got to see, in its entirety, what took place that day.

The game does not start well for the Jets as they fall behind early.

Then it happens.

Starting Jet QB Bob Davis scrambles from the pocket and goes down with an ankle injury in the 2nd quarter after being sacked.

The crowd rises with anticipation, and as the training staff helps the injured Davis off the field, I remember this deafening roar as the gimpy, hunchbacked quarterback with the recognizable facemask rips off the green jacket and throws it to the ground.

After missing 19 straight games in 1970 and 1971 due to injury, Joe Namath returns. The Shea crowd goes wild as #12, activated just a day before the game, trots out onto the field.

Namath gets off to a rocky start, the rust of not playing in two seasons is apparent.

Then, all of a sudden, it's 1968 all over again.

Down 24-0 in the third quarter, and despite playing with a concussion and a swollen jaw after a hit from San Francisco DE Cedrick Hardman in the 3rd quarter, Namath leads the Jets on a furious comeback, throwing for 258 yards and 3 TDs, two within a two minute span in the 4th quarter, pulling the Jets within 24-21.

The Shea Stadium crowd, with very little to cheer about during both the 1970 and 1971 seasons, is electric as the biggest star in the game, after being sidelined for the better part of two seasons, carries the pathetic Jets on his shoulders against the NFL's best defense.

With 1:41 left in the game, Namath and the Jets get the ball back on their own 28 yard line with no timeouts left. Namath proceeds to take apart the top ranked defense in the NFL and in 5 plays has the Jets on the 49er 19 yard line with 8 seconds left in the game. Time for one play.

The Shea crowd stood, goes absolutely wild as Namath drops back to pass, and uncorks a pass intended for Eddie Bell, only to be intercepted by 49er Safety Johnny Fuller in the endzone, ending the great comeback.

While the Jets lost the game, the Shea crowd remained for 15 minutes after the game and continued to applaud.

This synopsis of the game taken from a Namath biography ...

"The game ended on Namath's error, and what might have been a miracle finish became another Jet loss. "I didn't play well at all," said Namath. The records would reflect Namath's day as 11 for 27 and 258 yards, 3 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. But now as ever, his numbers reveal the true poverty of statistics.

"You're my idol, man", said Cedrick Hardman, the man who inflicted the in-game concussion on Namath early in the 3rd quarter, as they walked off the field. Even after all this time away from the game, Namath showed why he remained the quarterback defenses most feared.

"What that guy could do ...", said Jets Center John Schmitt.

Namath started the final three games of that 1971 season, winning two of three, with the only loss coming against the eventual Super Bowl Champion Dallas Cowboys.

The San Francisco game established a tenor for the rest of Namath's career. In rooting for Namath, one was now rooting for the minor miracle. His injuries and subsequent layoffs made them less probable, but even more desired. One could always hope for another brilliant comeback. After all, the man made his name mocking the odds. He was the fix to which both fans and front office types had become addicted. So had his teammates. "No one instills confidence or puts points on the board like Joe Namath", said tight end Rich Caster, noting that guys practiced with more intensity when Joe was with the team. From ownership down, the Jets had come to believe that Joe was trhe sole guarantor of their success. Without him, they were lost. "That was a big problem," said Jets DB Steve Tannen. "When Joe got hurt, everybody took a hike".

Not bad for a first game, huh?

Thanks, Pop.

Awesome. I saw an NFL Films special on that game. The place came alive when Namath entered.

I always think I remember the Super Bowl, but I was barely 3, so it was probably highlights years later. The first game I went to was the Jets-Colts in 1972. Not the 500 yard game in Baltimore, but the rematch at Shea. It was just as good. The Jets pulled it out in the final minute on an 80+ yarder to Little Eddie Bell from Namath. Even if you don't watch the rest, at least watch the final heave at 3:36.

tUaAByPmToU

Awesome. I saw an NFL Films special on that game. The place came alive when Namath entered.

I always think I remember the Super Bowl, but I was barely 3, so it was probably highlights years later. The first game I went to was the Jets-Colts in 1972. Not the 500 yard game in Baltimore, but the rematch at Shea. It was just as good. The Jets pulled it out in the final minute on an 80+ yarder to Little Eddie Bell from Namath. Even if you don't watch the rest, at least watch the final heave at 3:36.

Namath's stats vs the Colts in 1972-

20 completions

44 attempts

724 yards

8 touchdowns

4 interceptions

Tryin to think.

I kind of remember a game where someone on the Lions got paralyzed.

First full game that sticks out, Bills vs. Giants Superbowl XXV. I was 4, is that even possible?

Actually, scratch that. It was XXVII Boys vs. Bills. '93. I was 6...

tUaAByPmToU

I remember both Colt games in '72 well, as well as the entire 1972 season.

Namath's last great season ... made All-Pro that year.

I also attended his football camp in Massachusetts that year, where I was able to share the story of my first game with him and he signed my game program from that 49er game in '71. Still have it to this day.

I have no idea what the first game I watched was. Told I watched Super Bowl III, but I was just four years old. Was definitely watching regularly as a little kid, though. I remember playing little league ball at age 8 wondering why there were no TV cameras at our games. :lol:

I remember bits and pieces of all the Jets playoff games in 82-83 against the Bengals, Raiders and Dolphins. The first full game I remember watching was Super Bowl 17 between the Dolphins and Redskins.

First Jets game that drove you to drink;

08' vs Raiders - Half a handle of Jaeger.

Not counting games you were already drinking for. I mean, actually couldn't handle the loss and started drinking because of it.

First Jets game that drove you to drink;

08' vs Raiders - Half a handle of Jaeger.

Not counting games you were already drinking for. I mean, actually couldn't handle the loss and started drinking because of it.

I wanted to drink after the '08 Broncos game. Holy **** was that a terrible game.

I wanted to drink after the '08 Broncos game. Holy **** was that a terrible game.

I was home from school(tampa) for 4 days for Thanksgiving and spent one of them at that game. Miserable Weather, Miserable Traffic, Miserable Jets, Miserable Jbro22.

I remember both Colt games in '72 well, as well as the entire 1972 season.

Namath's last great season ... made All-Pro that year.

I also attended his football camp in Massachusetts that year, where I was able to share the story of my first game with him and he signed my game program from that 49er game in '71. Still have it to this day.

Tremendous. You've got me beat. I think I still have my ticket stub back at my parent's in a desk.

Tremendous. You've got me beat. I think I still have my ticket stub back at my parent's in a desk.

I only saw Namath play "live" 3 times.

Remember the Jets OT win against the Giants at Yale Bowl in '74? That was my 2nd game. My uncle was a Giants season ticket holder and took me to that game.

Third game was a preseason Giants-Jets game at Yankee Stadium in 1976, Namath's last season with the Jets.

Any other games you see besides the '72 Colt game?

Archived