Unemployment Benefits Question

Let's just say, for argument's sake, someone is going to get laid off from their public sector job after 9 years of employment. In theory, what % of their monthly salary would that person receive in unemployment benefits when he found himself with an abundant amount of time off at or around the date of July 1st.

idk what state you live in but basically how it works is that there is a maximum benefit that you can receive......so after a certain point it doesn't matter how much money you were making. a person who made 100k/year will get the same benefit that a person who was making 500k/year would get because they woudl both be at the maximum benefit amount. in new jersey that is about $584/week. btw....if that michigan calculator link is correct and that's where this umemployed person live it appears they would only get a maximum of $362/week.

idk what state you live in but basically how it works is that there is a maximum benefit that you can receive......so after a certain point it doesn't matter how much money you were making. a person who made 100k/year will get the same benefit that a person who was making 500k/year would get because they woudl both be at the maximum benefit amount. in new jersey that is about $584/week. btw....if that michigan calculator link is correct and that's where this umemployed person live it appears they would only get a maximum of $362/week.

More than I make working:face:

where could you possibly work that you don't even make $10/hr?

Haha, its embarassing, I was making more stringing lacrosse sticks in highschool...

I'm right at 10$ but after taxes and all that crap....

First job post graduation, got it back in October and at the time I was just happy to get benefits and some cash in my pocket. I was more or less unemployed for 3 months before taht. There was NOTHING out there, and took a temp job that turned into fulltime. But with ****ty pay. I'm making a move now, got an interview coming up Thursday with an ad agency in Manhattan. Pretty excited for it.

If that person lived in Michigan he/she has my condolences. Perhaps crime will pick up.

But if they live in Michigan they could try these calculators:

http://www.michigan.gov/uia/0,1607,7-118-26831-82227--,00.html

But hopefully none of this applies.

That person thanks you both for your input. I took a look at it and did the calculations. It would appear that person would need to "retool" their budget to expect a drop of at least 1/2 monthly. Perhaps something severe like this would be the push that person has always needed to get out of that public sector line of work and into something more enjoyable and worthwhile.

That person thanks you both for your input. I took a look at it and did the calculations. It would appear that person would need to "retool" their budget to expect a drop of at least 1/2 monthly. Perhaps something severe like this would be the push that person has always needed to get out of that public sector line of work and into something more enjoyable and worthwhile.

I hope things work out for that person. A lot of good, hard-working people are losing their jobs.

Also, I was gonna make a mall cop joke, but it seemed inappropriate. Just know the thought was there. ;)

Let's assume this person had been in the Military.

-I know a guy from HS who was in the Navy as an SP (MP). He and his wife live in Allen Park and both work at the border crossing downtown. They both work there and didn't complain about the job.

...and if it's *FEDERAL* wouldn't military Time-in-service count toward the Federal retirement?

PM me if the person is curious and I'll give my friend a call.

Let's just say, for argument's sake, someone is going to get laid off from their public sector job after 9 years of employment. In theory, what % of their monthly salary would that person receive in unemployment benefits when he found himself with an abundant amount of time off at or around the date of July 1st.

This person should look into moving to MA. The Max benefit is $629.00 per week plus the Obama stimulus of an additional $25.00 and another $25.00 per child. Therefore a family with two kids can make $704.00 per week before taxes. All that said, however, you would be hard pressed to find suitable housing for less that $1,200 a month and the political landscape here may drive a person bananas.

Good luck to that person.

With his military and police skills, though, he should be able to write his own ticket in private security - unless that doesn't fill the enjoyable/worthwhile quotient for him.

Personally, I'd use this as an opportunity to get the hell out of Michigan, but that's me. :lol:

This person should look into moving to MA. The Max benefit is $629.00 per week plus the Obama stimulus of an additional $25.00 and another $25.00 per child. Therefore a family with two kids can make $704.00 per week before taxes. All that said, however, you would be hard pressed to find suitable housing for less that $1,200 a month and the political landscape here may drive a person bananas.

Too expensive.

If that person ever sees George Clooney heading his way, there will be gun play.

I hope all is well.

Let's assume this person had been in the Military.

-I know a guy from HS who was in the Navy as an SP (MP). He and his wife live in Allen Park and both work at the border crossing downtown. They both work there and didn't complain about the job.

...and if it's *FEDERAL* wouldn't military Time-in-service count toward the Federal retirement?

Yes and No.

I recently transferred over to a term position and it is not cut and dry. If you have combat time, you can start off at a later 'time in service' in regards to certain benefits. Now, you do have an option, if you qualify, to buy back your military time. Now, that could be different for military retirees like me versus someone that served honorably like GOB.

Can always search for jobs here:

http://www.cpol.army.mil/

opm.gov also might have the answers.

It's based on the state. Here in NY it's 1/2 your pay with a max of $405 a week. Mass. has a max of over $900 per week I believe with Mississippi's being around $190 max.

That person would also be smack in the middle of Patsy Land. If he was by chance a NY Jet fan that would be worse than hell.

If that person ever sees George Clooney heading his way, there will be gun play.

But technically that person would no longer have access to a gun. Maybe that person could just challenge Clooney to a swordfight.

If im correct they get about 2/3 to 3/4 of what they made. so about 66% to 75% of what they made.

Edit: after reading other peoples responses, it looks like im wrong.

Haha, its embarassing, I was making more stringing lacrosse sticks in highschool...

First job post graduation, got it back in October and at the time I was just happy to get benefits and some cash in my pocket. I was more or less unemployed for 3 months before taht. There was NOTHING out there, and took a temp job that turned into fulltime. But with ****ty pay. I'm making a move now, got an interview coming up Thursday with an ad agency in Manhattan. Pretty excited for it.

Dude, you have a brain and a little bit of talent, gotta put it to use. I am picking up some design gigs, gimme a holler on pm and i am happy to share some wisdom with you in getting going with that stuff.

I just interviewed for a staff artist gig with a company here that makes airplanes. They sent me for a drug test. This was the first in a small series of interviews. Up next is a meeting with the Art Director. Since, Im still rebuilding my portfolio, Im relying on my mad sales skills. The only difference is, Im selling myself.

Crossing fingers and praying.

If im correct they get about 2/3 to 3/4 of what they made. so about 66% to 75% of what they made.

Edit: after reading other peoples responses, it looks like im wrong.

It's based on the state. Here in NY it's 1/2 your pay with a max of $405 a week. Mass. has a max of over $900 per week I believe with Mississippi's being around $190 max.

That person looked earlier and if he did it right, it was about $530 a week.

But technically that person would no longer have access to a gun. Maybe that person could just challenge Clooney to a swordfight.

That person may need to apply for a civilian CCW ASAP.

Good luck to that person.

With his military and police skills, though, he should be able to write his own ticket in private security - unless that doesn't fill the enjoyable/worthwhile quotient for him.

Personally, I'd use this as an opportunity to get the hell out of Michigan, but that's me. :lol:

Trust me, that person would really like to move out of Michigan, teach HS History, and coach football.

That person can't move there. He's pretty sure he's on a watch list in that state.

That person thanks everyone for their input

Royal Oak isn't Michigan. It's Detroit with a view. If I had to live on the 696 corridor, I swear I'd hear Pink Floyd's "welcome to the machine" in my head forever.

If this person has a chance to get a teaching cert (I think the Gov just approved a fast-track program) He should consider teaching in Traverse City, Cadillac, Grand Rapids or any sandy shoreline town along Lake Michigan. Visions of those cities are why I live here.

MI---Lake-Michigan,-Little-Sable-Point-Lighthouse-copy.gif1343543735_5b3767c9e7.jpg?v=0

Royal Oak isn't Michigan. It's Detroit with a view. If I had to live on the 696 corridor, I swear I'd hear Pink Floyd's "welcome to the machine" in my head forever.

If this person has a chance to get a teaching cert (I think the Gov just approved a fast-track program) He should consider teaching in Traverse City, Cadillac, Grand Rapids or any sandy shoreline town along Lake Michigan. Visions of those cities are why I live here.

MI---Lake-Michigan,-Little-Sable-Point-Lighthouse-copy.gif1343543735_5b3767c9e7.jpg?v=0

And they AT&T service in Traverse and Grand Rapids would be excellent :cheers:

Having been born In Sault Ste. Marie and raised in Marquette, I can personally attest before you all that Southeast Michigan (Wayne, Oakland, Macomb Counties) is an absolute hell hole and not the true Michigan. I've never liked it here since the say in 1990 when I moved downstate. I thought long and hard about not coming back to MI when I got out of the Army, but you know how family goes.

I'd give my left nut to live along the Lake Michigan coastline.

Having been born In Sault Ste. Marie and raised in Marquette, I can personally attest before you all that Southeast Michigan (Wayne, Oakland, Macomb Counties) is an absolute hell hole and not the true Michigan. I've never liked it here since the say in 1990 when I moved downstate. I thought long and hard about not coming back to MI when I got out of the Army, but you know how family goes.

I'd give my left nut to live along the Lake Michigan coastline.

Check the PD's in Kent and Ottawa counties. The economies are less automotive, and you can live quite a bit out of town because there's no traffic. (provided your precinct doesn't make you live in town).

Dude, you have a brain and a little bit of talent, gotta put it to use. I am picking up some design gigs, gimme a holler on pm and i am happy to share some wisdom with you in getting going with that stuff.

I know, I do side stuff here and there.

I got an interview tomorrow with http://www.mecglobal.com - seems a hell of a lot more legit than any interview I've been on before. <- Half of which were scams...

Problem is, I got it through a friend of a friend she passed my resume on. BUT, when I got the call to come in for an interview I wasn't told nor did I ask what the position I was being interviewed for.:face: I answered the call at my current job, and didn't want anyone to know what was going on, so I did the ol' open ended "Yeah sounds great, looking forward to it" bit.

Guess I'm just gonna have to be quick on my feet tomorrow.

I got an interview tomorrow with http://www.mecglobal.com - seems a hell of a lot more legit than any interview I've been on before. <- Half of which were scams...

Problem is, I got it through a friend of a friend she passed my resume on. BUT, when I got the call to come in for an interview I wasn't told nor did I ask what the position I was being interviewed for.:face: I answered the call at my current job, and didn't want anyone to know what was going on, so I did the ol' open ended "Yeah sounds great, looking forward to it" bit.

Best of luck to ya.....:cheers:

lol. Obvious advice here which i am sure you are already doing but just read every ounce of that site and google them as much as possible. Gotta love advertising/marketing sites, all that bulls##t marketing talk that really means nothing, lol. Its like they took the same creative writing class that lawyers are required to take.

An old friend of mine grew up in Charlevoix (sp?) MI. Her parents are still there (her dad is retired, but was the doctor there). She always said that was the greatest place to grow up. Waxed poetic about it and always looked forward to her trips back home. Sounded great. She lives in Albany, NY now.....go figure. :)

lol. Obvious advice here which i am sure you are already doing but just read every ounce of that site and google them as much as possible. Gotta love advertising/marketing sites, all that bulls##t marketing talk that really means nothing, lol. Its like they took the same creative writing class that lawyers are required to take.

Haha, I've been reading their site for a few days now. And the girl thats hookin it up got back to me, she said marketing teams that do work for KFC, Pizza Hut, and a few other companies will each have their turn interviewing me.

I can see it now...

Them

"So what do you know about KFC/Pizza Hut?"

Me

*Stares down at gut, looks back up*

Too much?

Archived