1 member has voted

1. 1. Best D player in the league...?

• DeMarcus Ware
    • Kevin Williams
    • Darrelle Revis
    • Charles Woodson
    • Haloti Ngata
    • Other

Who do you think is the single best or most valuable defensive player in the league? Is it DeMarcus Ware on the Cowboys? Ngata on the Ravens? Revis on the Jets? Kevin Williams from the Vikings? Mario Williams on the Texans? Darnell Dockett on the Cardinals? The shouldn't be DPOY but still very good Charles Woodson?

What say you?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With prejudice I say Revis - who else could shut down the receivers he faced last season. Made them as total nonfactors in every game.

The beauty of it is that his dominant play extends beyond just shutting down the opponent's best receiver (which is valuable in itself) This let our defense double up on the secondary receivers. In other words, he's a major reason why we were #1 against the pass last season. You take him out and move every corner on our roster up a slot and our defense has to drastically change and get less flexible.

He also was solid in run support and is a very good tackler. Just so valuable all around.

The beauty of it is that his dominant play extends beyond just shutting down the opponent's best receiver (which is valuable in itself) This let our defense double up on the secondary receivers. In other words, he's a major reason why we were #1 against the pass last season. You take him out and move every corner on our roster up a slot and our defense has to drastically change and get less flexible.

He also was solid in run support and is a very good tackler. Just so valuable all around.

this is why with cromartie and wilson our defense is going to be so tough next year. we can realisitcally blitz at least 7 guys almost every snap and not have much coverage problems at all. it's going to be fun to watch our defense next year. i like offense but there is nothing more fun than watching your teams defense just demoralize opponents.

this is why with cromartie and wilson our defense is going to be so tough next year. we can realisitcally blitz at least 7 guys almost every snap and not have much coverage problems at all. it's going to be fun to watch our defense next year. i like offense but there is nothing more fun than watching your teams defense just demoralize opponents.

Totally agree. Last year was infinitely much more satisfying to watch than the ridiculously passive defense Mangini played at the end of his tenure. Bend but don't break my ass, that's just an excuse for teams that can't stop the big chunks of yardage from happening.

I always feel these polls would be much better if we left Jets players off of it, let it run for a day and compare said Jet to the poll winner.

yeah but the thing about this one is that there is a strong possibility that the jets player IS the one who should be winning the poll.

Patrick Willis belongs in there as an option.

That being said, Revis. He's the biggest reason we were easily the # 1 defense in the NFL. His presence allows this team to do so many different things to confuse offenses. And no one is more dominant at the job he's asked to do.

That being said, Revis. He's the biggest reason we were easily the # 1 defense in the NFL. His presence allows this team to do so many different things to confuse offenses. And no one is more dominant at the job he's asked to do.

+1 Stole my answer there....this question is too hard to answer because a defensive player to one person's scheme may be more valuable to individual success. Ex. Wilfork or Hampton could be essential for the entire Pats or Steeler D yet may not be viewed as "the best D player".

Individually though it should be between Willis, Polamalu (if healthy), Reed or Revis

Yeah a lot of people hate on corner because they don't think it can provide you with a man advantage such as Ngata or Jenkins do, but actually Revis DOES give us a man advantage, if not more on many occasions. It's just that it's a "negative" man advantage.

You basically take their #1 (such as Andre Johnson), who might otherwise be double covered with safety help and you just stick him out on Revis island. There goes the man advantage they SHOULD be getting, PLUS you get to roll help towards the other side with lesser receivers.

You might even get a situation where you have a #2 and #3 receiver going up against your #2, #3 corners AND a safety or even two... so you take out their advantage and double up on their weaker players who probably would struggle against single coverage to begin with and there's your #1 passing defense right there.

Wow, I can't believe Revis is winning. :lol:

Totally agree. Last year was infinitely much more satisfying to watch than the ridiculously passive defense Mangini played at the end of his tenure. Bend but don't break my ass, that's just an excuse for teams that can't stop the big chunks of yardage from happening.

I love Rex. Maybe I won't love as much if we aren't winning, but right now I really love him.

Too many NFL HC's seem like they're just happy to be there, and are afraid of making the mistake that could cost them their jobs. They're all way to conservative to me - and Mangini was the worst of that group. God, remember Rex apologizing to the fans for playing zone late one game?

Now you have Rex Ryan (with Tanny as his PiC), just going all out to win. No concern about the consequences. No fear. I know a lot of people here hate the Raiders, but growing up I admired them. I loved the "Just win, Baby!" philosophy, and Rex has brought that to the Jets. Send the boyscouts camping, I want football players! It's a nasty violent game, some of them are gonna have some attitude problems. He tells Tanny to get him the players, and he'll put 'em in position to win.

I always feel these polls would be much better if we left Jets players off of it, let it run for a day and compare said Jet to the poll winner.

I like your thinking.

Take Revis off...I should have realized everyone would use Homer Attack on this thread.

If Polamalu gets nominated then it's absolutely unfair to not include Adrian Wilson. The only difference between them is that one plays for a long time winning franchise and one plays for the Cardinals.

yeah but the thing about this one is that there is a strong possibility that the jets player IS the one who should be winning the poll.

No I know, but I feel like it would go further if we could narrow it down to 1 or 2 guys that actually compare to Revis.

There's no doubt in my mind that if theres was an overall NFL draft Revis would be the first Defensive guy taken.

There's no doubt in my mind that if theres was an overall NFL draft Revis would be the first Defensive guy taken.

Not for nothing, but Ware and probably Kevin Williams and Haloti Ngata probably go over him. Ware is the best pass rusher in the league and Williams/Ngata are the best DTs in the league...Front 7 ftw.

Not for nothing, but Ware and probably Kevin Williams and Haloti Ngata probably go over him. Ware is the best pass rusher in the league and Williams/Ngata are the best DTs in the league...Front 7 ftw.

Definitely negotiable. I definitely air on the side of homer, not afraid to admit it. I just know much more about Revis, and tend to favor him.

Revis is the youngest of the guys you mentioned, albeit not by much.

Tough to compare CB's to DT's. I will say, I do think the value of CB's in the NFL is going up.

The sack artists are cool, but they rise and fall from season to season.

The shut-down corners are great at isolating one player.

My vote would have to go toward a play-making safety or a rangy MLB; they cover more than one player, have blitzing, zone, and man responsibilities.

That being said, my vote is for Patrick Willis.

He's been in the league for three years, and has lead the league in tackles for two of them, and came in second place for the other.

Oh yeah, and he's a beast.

+1 Stole my answer there....this question is too hard to answer because a defensive player to one person's scheme may be more valuable to individual success. Ex. Wilfork or Hampton could be essential for the entire Pats or Steeler D yet may not be viewed as "the best D player".

Individually though it should be between Willis, Polamalu (if healthy), Reed or Revis

The ONE time I don't read through a thread!

Rex is the reason that the Jets have the #1 D. Revis was great before and they Jets didn't sniff #1. Asomougha was a top CB and Raiders barely had a decent defense.

Archived