• Kevin Williams
    • Darrelle Revis
    • Charles Woodson
    • Haloti Ngata
    • Other

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rex is the reason that the Jets have the #1 D. Revis was great before and they Jets didn't sniff #1. Asomougha was a top CB and Raiders barely had a decent defense.

This is very true...but also remember Rex brought some players with him and there are only a couple of corners in the league that allow you to deploy a D like we did.

I think its extremely difficult to say who the best is based on the differences in position, but its hard to say Revis isnt in the top 3. And I tend to always give a top three when someone proposes an answer that has no wrong or right answer.

The shut-down corners are great at isolating one player.

My vote would have to go toward a play-making safety or a rangy MLB; they cover more than one player, have blitzing, zone, and man responsibilities.

The CB is always more valuable than the safety. A shut down CB allows the safety to make plays, otherwise he's tied up in double-coverage. There's a very good reason that the franchise tag numbers for CB's and safeties were over $3M apart in 2010.

Revis is solid in run support, and would probably have a few sacks a year himself if he wasn't so valuable neutralizing every #1 WR in the NFL. With the trio of corners we have now, I wouldn't be surprised -at all!- to see Revis sent on a blitz here and there this season.

Would a couple strip sacks from Revis help alter your opinion?

The CB is always more valuable than the safety. A shut down CB allows the safety to make plays, otherwise he's tied up in double-coverage. There's a very good reason that the franchise tag numbers for CB's and safeties were over $3M apart in 2010.

Revis is solid in run support, and would probably have a few sacks a year himself if he wasn't so valuable neutralizing every #1 WR in the NFL. With the trio of corners we have now, I wouldn't be surprised -at all!- to see Revis sent on a blitz here and there this season.

Would a couple strip sacks from Revis help alter your opinion?

Don't get me wrong slats, I have a Revis-boner myself. I'm talking about the elite-3 safeties (Reed, Poluamlu, and Sanders)

A QB can choose to throw away from Revis... An elite safety in the right scheme can disguise his coverage and literally cover the OTHER half of the field.

But whatever, I still voted for Patrick Willis.

Don't get me wrong slats, I have a Revis-boner myself. I'm talking about the elite-3 safeties (Reed, Poluamlu, and Sanders)

A QB can choose to throw away from Revis... An elite safety in the right scheme can disguise his coverage and literally cover the OTHER half of the field.

But whatever, I still voted for Patrick Willis.

True but who cares about the OTHER half of the field. You take away someones primary receiver and thats a big chunk of their offense. With Revis playing his man with no help with a safety, we hve a extra safety to help cover the "OTHER" side of the field your tlkn bout.

This thread would have been so much more lively if Kris Jenkins could have stayed healthy all of last season. The bitchslap against the Texans' Center in week 1 is still the most memorable defensive play (for sheer domination) of the last decade for me.

This thread would have been so much more lively if Kris Jenkins could have stayed healthy all of last season. The bitchslap against the Texans' Center in week 1 is still the most memorable defensive play (for sheer domination) of the last decade for me.

ther best part is simms reaction, he couldn't contain himself....hee hee

HiJ9lYyj4uQ

ther best part is simms reaction, he couldn't contain himself....hee hee

HiJ9lYyj4uQ

This play will never get old. NEVER. God I can't wait for the 2010 season.

If Jenkins can stay healthy for the beginning of the season AND still be around late in the campaign (perhaps missing, say, 3-4 games somewhere in the middle), there's no telling what this defense is capable of doing.

True but who cares about the OTHER half of the field. You take away someones primary receiver and thats a big chunk of their offense. With Revis playing his man with no help with a safety, we hve a extra safety to help cover the "OTHER" side of the field your tlkn bout.

Here's the problem.

Even if Revis is playing alone, there's still a safety shaded to his side most of the time.

Safeties play zone the majority of the time. They'll be 20 yards deep depending on the coverage waiting for the seam receiver to enter their zone. You can't fade them to the other side of the field, they have a job to do.

As far as Revis taking away a teams best receiver, absolutely true.

IMO, what makes Ware a better defensive player, is that he takes away a teams QB.

IMO, what makes Ware a better defensive player, is that he takes away a teams QB.

Well clearly Ware didn't do as well at his job as Revis did at HIS, seeing as the Cowboy D was very porous at times last season. Just look at that 34-3 loss to the Vikings in the NFC Divisional game.

Well clearly Ware didn't do as well at his job as Revis did at HIS, seeing as the Cowboy D was very porous at times last season. Just look at that 34-3 loss to the Vikings in the NFC Divisional game.

There's a lot of people you can blame that loss on...

Ware isn't one of them.

There's a lot of people you can blame that loss on...

Ware isn't one of them.

Maybe so. But when I think of dominant Linebackers, I think of Lawrence Taylor, and Ware just isn't in that category. He can't take over a game. Not that its necessarily fair to compare him to one of the best, but you typically start to earn those comparisons if you're the best at your craft.

Maybe so. But when I think of dominant Linebackers, I think of Lawrence Taylor, and Ware just isn't in that category. He can't take over a game. Not that its necessarily fair to compare him to one of the best, but you typically start to earn those comparisons if you're the best at your craft.

Ware is the best all around 3-4 OLB in the league, and a top 3 pass rusher. If he was a Jet, this board would have given him Revis status 3 years ago. Ask Giants or Eagles fans if Ware can take over a game...64.5 sacks in his first 5 years is a pretty decent pace...off the top of my head that's more than anyone else over the past 5 years.

Haynesworth is a nice choice despite the negative rep the guy has. It's definitely true when he's at his best (meaning his team is winning), and his decline is definitely overstated. Ngata and Williams are knocking on his door as the best DT in the league. Wilfork can/will too once/if the Pats D gets going again, but f him and the Patriots.

Also, Bob Sanders is not a top 3 safety. He's played 8 games in 2 years...and he absolutely stole that DPOY he got.

Let's put it this way.

Ware plays more of an impact position.

And Ware can directly be compared to Taylor with less ball skills...

He's actually outperformed Taylor so far in his career, as far as putting the ball on the ground and the QB on his ass...

Just asking, did you see the Cowboys-Saints game from this past year? Ware absolutely took over the game. He dominated the then-undefeated Saints.

This play will never get old. NEVER. God I can't wait for the 2010 season.

If Jenkins can stay healthy for the beginning of the season AND still be around late in the campaign (perhaps missing, say, 3-4 games somewhere in the middle), there's no telling what this defense is capable of doing.

How true. Sadly that's a big IF . I was quite surprised we did as well as we did when old 77 went down last year. I figured our season was toast.

Since the Jets run a 3-4 I'll try and give you the best Defense I can think of for one year...if healthy.

DE- Mario Williams

NT- Kris Jenkins

DE- Haloti Ngata

OLB- DeMarcus Ware

ILB- Patrick Willis

ILB- Jon Beason

OLB- James Harrison

CB- Darrelle Revis

CB- Nnamdi Asomugha

SS- Troy Polamalu

FS- Ed Reed

Since the Jets run a 3-4 I'll try and give you the best Defense I can think of for one year...if healthy.

DE- Mario Williams

NT- Kris Jenkins

DE- Haloti Ngata

OLB- DeMarcus Ware

ILB- Patrick Willis

ILB- Jon Beason

OLB- James Harrison

CB- Darrelle Revis

CB- Nnamdi Asomugha

SS- Troy Polamalu

FS- Ed Reed

man i was jus gonna comment on the fact that u had mario as a 3-4 de but i looked it up and he is 295. I never knew that, I mean seriously I always considered him to be one of the strictly finesse and speed players lik Freeney but him being 295, he could deff strive in a 3-4. I think this roster would be perfect and is non debatable...

Who do you think is the single best or most valuable defensive player in the league? Is it DeMarcus Ware on the Cowboys? Ngata on the Ravens? Revis on the Jets? Kevin Williams from the Vikings? Mario Williams on the Texans? Darnell Dockett on the Cardinals? The shouldn't be DPOY but still very good Charles Woodson?

What say you?

hard to decide because they all play different positions. hands down revis is the best corner, screw woodson. but i think one of the most important positions not just on defense but on the whole team is a de that can sack the qb.

DE- Mario Williams

NT- Kris Jenkins

DE- Haloti Ngata

OLB- DeMarcus Ware

ILB- Patrick Willis

ILB- Jon Beason

OLB- James Harrison

CB- Darrelle Revis

CB- Nnamdi Asomugha

SS- Troy Polamalu

FS- Ed Reed

man what a fun defense that would be to watch.

oh yeah. now what is the o that might be able to score.

imo, i think that the defense would be able to stop them. Id put my money on this defense over any offense u can name.

Any other qb besides Brees and Manning would absolutely fail agaisnt this defense.

If it is Manning or Brees throwing it, it still would be a very difficult accomplishment.

imo, i think that the defense would be able to stop them. Id put my money on this defense over any offense u can name.

Any other qb besides Brees and Manning would absolutely fail agaisnt this defense.

If it is Manning or Brees throwing it, it still would be a very difficult accomplishment.

three wr's. fitzgerald, marshall, holmes

rb. adrian petterson

Archived