Rotation:

Walter Johnson

Roger Clemens

Randy Johnson

Grover Cleveland Alexander

Tom Seaver

RP:

Rivera

As if the other posters completely neglecting the catcher position wasn't bad enough, this takes the cake!

I was going to mention that the game would take forever, what with the batter having to chase the ball to the backstop every pitch.

the thing that sticks out to me is that you don't have rogers hornsby or willie mays. and known steroids cheats shouldn't be included imo.....so i'd eliminate bonds and clemens.

Morgan > Hornsby

Mays...I prefer Mantle is all that really came down to.

Morgan > Hornsby

Mays...I prefer Mantle is all that really came down to.

i can understand the mantle vs. mays seclection especially you being a yankees fan. but imo hornsby was better than morgan. morgan's best year

27 HR

111 Rbi

and hornsby probably had at least 5 or 6 years that dwarfed that by a mile including 2 years where he hit over .400 and 40 HR, 15 or more triples, and about 145-150 rbi's.

i mean seriously the guy had 6 year sin a row wher ehe hit at least .370...3 of those years he hit over .400 and another came very close at .397.

now if you're going for defense too then i'd take eddie collins over joe morgan as well. but then if you're factoring in defense as well, then you HAVE to take mays over mantle.

now if you're going for defense too then i'd take eddie collins over joe morgan as well. but then if you're factoring in defense as well, then you HAVE to take mays over mantle.

Have to?

You have no idea how lucky you are that my father does not have a JN account. No ****ing idea.

Have to?

You have no idea how lucky you are that my father does not have a JN account. No ****ing idea.

mays was a much better defensive center fielder than mantle was. actually he may have just been the best defensive player ever. btw.....i feel lucky. /sarcasm

mays was a much better defensive center fielder than mantle was. actually he may have just been the best defensive player ever. btw.....i feel lucky. /sarcasm

You think you're joking, but you're not. Believe me, that discussion is simply one nobody wants. While you are giving fielding all these points, are you considering the post season?

You think you're joking, but you're not. Believe me, that discussion is simply one nobody wants. While you are giving fielding all these points, are you considering the post season?

i don't understand your point. i already said i can see taking mantle over mays as it's almost a subjective decision between the 2....they were probably the 2 best and i can't fault anybody for choosing mantle....especially not a yankees fan. but he's obviously taking morgan over hornsby because of the defense. because hornsby is one of the top hitters to ever play the game. so if he's giving that much weight to defense then it doesn't make sense to choose mantle over mays, because mays was probably the best defensive player to ever play the game.

i don't understand your point. i already said i can see taking mantle over mays as it's almost a subjective decision between the 2....they were probably the 2 best and i can't fault anybody for choosing mantle....especially not a yankees fan. but he's obviously taking morgan over hornsby because of the defense. because hornsby is one of the top hitters to ever play the game. so if he's giving that much weight to defense then it doesn't make sense to choose mantle over mays, because mays was probably the best defensive player to ever play the game.

My point is that my father would argue that almost subjective decision with you until we all dropped. He has surprising stamina for such an old guy. That would be bad. Bad for all of us. I'd be happy to agree with you and consider it basically a push. He wouldn't.

starter / backup

josh gibson / berra

lou gehrig / foxx

rogers hornsby / eddie collins

pop lloyd / honus wagner

alex rodriguez / schmidt

babe ruth / dimaggio

ty cobb / speaker

hank aaron / oscar charleston

teddy ballgame at DH...backup DH is mantle....mays is the 3rd string CFer

walter johnson/pete alexander/pedro martinez/roger clemens/greg maddux

rivera at closer

lineup:

Cobb

Williams

Ruth

Gehrig

Aaron

Hornsby

A-rod

Gibson

Lloyd

i can understand the mantle vs. mays seclection especially you being a yankees fan. but imo hornsby was better than morgan. morgan's best year

27 HR

111 Rbi

and hornsby probably had at least 5 or 6 years that dwarfed that by a mile including 2 years where he hit over .400 and 40 HR, 15 or more triples, and about 145-150 rbi's.

i mean seriously the guy had 6 year sin a row wher ehe hit at least .370...3 of those years he hit over .400 and another came very close at .397.

Couple things:

Morgan was a far better defensive 2B. Hornsby didn't care much for D.

Hornsby played in a far more high scoring environment than Morgan did.

Morgan was a better baserunner.

Morgan was a better base stealer.

Hornsby was a really unlikeable dude. I'd take Collins over Hornsby too...Nothing I've read about Hornsby makes me like him enough to want him on my all time team, and there's 4-5 guys I wouldn't mind taking over him at his position (Morgan, Collins, Robinson, Lajoie, and Biggio). I don't mind swapping some bat for a more complete game and a better attitude.

I'd also like to change my C to Josh Gibson, because Josh Gibson is one of the true legends of the game.

Mays vs. Mantle is a long one...I should just make it even and pick Cobb, who personally doesn't bother me as much as Hornsby...Cobb actually was a pretty good coach for a few guys while Hornsby just lived his whole life being considered a prick within baseball.

Couple things:

Morgan was a far better defensive 2B. Hornsby didn't care much for D.

Hornsby played in a far more high scoring environment than Morgan did.

Morgan was a better baserunner.

Morgan was a better base stealer.

Hornsby was a really unlikeable dude. I'd take Collins over Hornsby too...Nothing I've read about Hornsby makes me like him enough to want him on my all time team, and there's 4-5 guys I wouldn't mind taking over him at his position (Morgan, Collins, Robinson, Lajoie, and Biggio). I don't mind swapping some bat for a more complete game and a better attitude.

I'd also like to change my C to Josh Gibson, because Josh Gibson is one of the true legends of the game.

Mays vs. Mantle is a long one...I should just make it even and pick Cobb, who personally doesn't bother me as much as Hornsby...Cobb actually was a pretty good coach for a few guys while Hornsby just lived his whole life being considered a prick within baseball.

hey it's your all-time team. you'r eallowed to pick whoever you want. whether i agree with it or not doesn't matter. it's still a great team and would definitely be an all-time team. mine would be slightly different, but so what.

Sub Edgardo Alfonzo for Hornsby and I fully support this lineup.

how great is a lineup where mike schmidt might be the worst hitter? lol

they'd score 15 runs/game, lol.

but i'm sorry i can't take a .400 hitter out of my lineup.

no mentions for Ed Delahanty? or Tris Speaker?

I realize I'm not 100 years old so I never got to see him play, but Tris Speaker has always been the prototype CF to me. One of the great all around players in the game, and one of the classiest guys in the history of the league.

He's a top 5 CF, but Mays, Cobb, and Mantle were better.

I realize I'm not 100 years old so I never got to see him play, but Tris Speaker has always been the prototype CF to me. One of the great all around players in the game, and one of the classiest guys in the history of the league.

He's a top 5 CF, but Mays, Cobb, and Mantle were better.

Didn't Speaker have ties to the KKK?

Also, I don't seem to remember him being considered classy. I remember the word surly being used in descriptions of Speaker.

fwiw:

c - bench

1b - gehrig

2b - hornsby

ss - wagner

3b - schmidt

rf - ruth

cf - mays

lf - musial

dh - williams

rotation - pedro, seaver, ryan, koufax, johnson

cl - rivera

fine, except for the Ryan part

Mathewson, Grove, Feller, Alexander, Gibson, Marichal, the other Johnson (it is unclear whether the Johnson you chose is Walter or Randy), Cy Young, Spahn, Maddux, and Carlton would all be better choices than Ryan.

1B - Lou Gehrig

2B - Joe Morgan

SS - Honus Wagner

3B - Mike Schmidt

RF - Babe Ruth

CF - Mickey Mantle

LF - Barry Bonds

DH - Ted Williams

Rotation:

Walter Johnson

Roger Clemens

Randy Johnson