Kids get in trouble for wearing American flag T-shirts to school on Cinco de Mayo

Green DNA

1101_phelps.jpg

And you are implying that one woman with a flag drapped around her, who is part of a small lunatic fringe group, is symbolic of Bill and I and others who love our country and respect its flag?

I hope I am misreading your intentions.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And you are implying that one woman with a flag drapped around her, who is part of a small lunatic fringe group, is symbolic of Bill and I and others who love our country and respect its flag?

I hope I am misreading your intentions.

You're not misreading my intentions. You're setting up a straw man. Badly. If you feel that my pointing out that playing the dead soldiers card to justify use of the flag to express animus against a group of people is stupid implicates you personally you can take from it whatever you like.

Race relations between the Hispanic/Latino communities and the rest of American culture have been at odds mainly because those communities have not assimilated as well as other ethnic backgrounds.

Simply put, they're Mexicans living in America instead of Americans with Mexican heritage.

In SoFla, MANY Cubans have adapted to American culture and still respect and honor their heritage. I don't see that happening as much in Texas, Arizona and California.

Not to say that they're the only ethnicity refusing to assimilate, as the Haitians in SoFla have basically done the same thing. But they are a huge population in this country.

Not putting all the blame on them. Our country does not always make it easy for immigrants, but if they continue to keep fighting certain aspects of American culture instead if embracing it, they will continue see things like this happen IMO.

Race relations between the Hispanic/Latino communities and the rest of American culture have been at odds mainly because those communities have not assimilated as well as other ethnic backgrounds.

Simply put, they're Mexicans living in America instead of Americans with Mexican heritage.

In SoFla, MANY Cubans have adapted to American culture and still respect and honor their heritage. I don't see that happening as much in Texas, Arizona and California.

Not to say that they're the only ethnicity refusing to assimilate, as the Haitians in SoFla have basically done the same thing. But they are a huge population in this country.

Not putting all the blame on them. Our country does not always make it easy for immigrants, but if they continue to keep fighting certain aspects of American culture instead if embracing it, they will continue see things like this happen IMO.

+1

RJF I know you like making jokes at my expense and I really have no problem with it, but I would prefer you to try and be accurate.

I don't really like Mexican food enough to give speeches. Though these are the foods I would give speeches for:

1. Italian- but this speech would be more of an ow!! when my mom whacks me with the spoon for snatching a meatball out of the gravy before it's time.

2. Sushi- I would thank all of the Japanese people for this wonderful finger food and milldy complain that the pieces should be bigger.

3. Barbecue- I would thank all the southerners for the years of recipes handed down from generation to generation, but would ask nicely if they could stop banging their relatives because I get creeped out when someone hands me a sandwich and they have six fingers.

4. Chicken wings- I would thank the people of Buffalo for this amazing gift and tell them the Bills will be just find this year and end up with a torn rotator cuff trying to put my pudgy arms behind my back to cross my fingers.

5. French Food- I would thank them for their attention to detail but to not get to carried away , after all we are the reason your not speaking German.

God Bless America and each and everyone of you's.

That's my point though. If you have any intention of keeping the luxury of going out for any of these foods when ever you please, you'd best be siding with the darkies.

You're not misreading my intentions. You're setting up a straw man. Badly. If you feel that my pointing out that playing the dead soldiers card to justify use of the flag to express animus against a group of people is stupid implicates you personally you can take from it whatever you like.

I guess it is all a matter of perception. I look at that picture of those pieces of sh#t and what they are doing, and the flag is the only thing that does not bother me. And I would imagine the relatives and friends of the dead soldiers are equally not offended by the flag, but are by everything else.

If I saw someone rob a bank wearing an American flag, I would not think "oh, there goes a right wing nut". I would think "oh, there goes a bank robber".

It is a shame that this bizarre connecting of dots is how you view the world. Enjoy the ****tail parties and don't forget to keep that pinky extended.

I guess it is all a matter of perception. I look at that picture of those pieces of sh#t and what they are doing, and the flag is the only thing that does not bother me. And I would imagine the relatives and friends of the dead soldiers are equally not offended by the flag, but are by everything else.

If I saw someone rob a bank wearing an American flag, I would not think "oh, there goes a right wing nut". I would think "oh, there goes a bank robber".

So the problem isn't with the flag itself but with the message it's being used to convey? Thanks for catching up. Also, I didn't say anything about the right wing so spare me your imagined oppression.

So the problem isn't with the flag itself but with the message it's being used to convey? Thanks for catching up. Also, I didn't say anything about the right wing so spare me your imagined oppression.

The same sort of imagined oppression that reads the minds of these kids?

And did I say you said anything about right wing? It was just a hypothetical equivalent. I can play those games too.

I can't even respond intellingently enough to this moronic post. Just answer me this one question though. Do you plan on making a trip to the Miami game?

correct me if i'm wrong...... but vietnam wasn't the only war that american soldiers fouhgt and died in was it?

lebowski quote...

im still waiting for all the patriots to explain how disrespecting the American flag (by featuring it as a Tshirt, essentially disposable clothing) is such a great thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

I've checked several flag resources, it's a federal law... the US Flag should be used as a patch on serviceman's uniform, at most... lapel pins are also allowed.

but it's not meant to be used as a logo in a tagged-out tshirt... or as a sweat rag for a teenager's head... or someone's pant legs... or a swimsuit thong... or to have a slogan or advertising attached to it.

we think wearing a 5 dollar chinese made t-shirt with the flag screened on and saying "these colors dont run" is especially patriotic, in fact it's not.

what happens when the t-shirts wear out do they get ceremonially burned?

If they were going to be Patriotic they could accept those from other backgrounds and their culture in the USA. The culture of this country is a melting pot of many immigrants coming here and developing it. To purposely wear a shirt on a day that is supposed to celebrate a portion of our population and say you're a Patriot is blasphemous to anyone who has ever really been a Patriot.

Using a flag to make a statement doesn't make you a Patriot, it makes you an idiot.

lebowski quote...

im still waiting for all the patriots to explain how disrespecting the American flag (by featuring it as a Tshirt, essentially disposable clothing) is such a great thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

I've checked several flag resources, it's a federal law... the US Flag should be used as a patch on serviceman's uniform, at most... lapel pins are also allowed.

but it's not meant to be used as a logo in a tagged-out tshirt... or as a sweat rag for a teenager's head... or someone's pant legs... or a swimsuit thong... or to have a slogan or advertising attached to it.

we think wearing a 5 dollar chinese made t-shirt with the flag screened on and saying "these colors dont run" is especially patriotic, in fact it's not.

what happens when the t-shirts wear out do they get ceremonially burned?

Bit, you're not a patriot? Could have fooled me...anyway, I'm okay (my personal view) with displaying "old glory" as long as it's not being used in a way of disrespect. Again, that is my personal opinion and I know what the code explanis as proper etiquette. Example...it's a persons right to burn the flag...I fought for that right and other rights that people in this country enjoy. On the other hand, if I witness someone burning the flag...I would kill them...without blinking an eye. Again, my own personal opinion.

If they were going to be Patriotic they could accept those from other backgrounds and their culture in the USA. The culture of this country is a melting pot of many immigrants coming here and developing it. To purposely wear a shirt on a day that is supposed to celebrate a portion of our population and say you're a Patriot is blasphemous to anyone who has ever really been a Patriot.

Using a flag to make a statement doesn't make you a Patriot, it makes you an idiot.

It's not about being a "partiot"...it's about putting America first. The melting pot BS is long gone. People are more about "me" then "we" and what I mean by WE, I am talking about America.

It's not about being a "partiot"...it's about putting America first. The melting pot BS is long gone. People are more about "me" then "we" and what I mean by WE, I am talking about America.

So it's wrong to celebrate a culture that might have an impact on the future of American history? So then you'd agree we should do away with St. Patricks day.

That's my point though. If you have any intention of keeping the luxury of going out for any of these foods when ever you please, you'd best be siding with the darkies.

Yeah but this America, it's everyone's country no matter what they are. If someone has a problem with that then their trying to make a problem where none exist. Someone cook some damn good food and share it with me, then it's good. If they gotta be stingy then their gonna be a ruckus.

So it's wrong to celebrate a culture that might have an impact on the future of American history? So then you'd agree we should do away with St. Patricks day.

You're asking the wrong guy...I'm of Italian descent. They can do away with Columbus Day for all I care.

It's ok to celebrate it butt you can;t expect everyone else to celebrate it too. Why do they focus on the kids wearing the american flag shirt when maybe 60% of the country is drinking and whoop it up just like they do on St. Patties day. America loves other countries Holidays hallmarked by drinking and eating with friend and family. But thesekids wearing a flag shirt on that day and them caomplaining about it is simply being overly senseitve and looking for a reason to biitch. They should STFU respect this country and biitch about taxes like the rest of us. Honestyl? Could you imagine a good old fashion Irish boy getting offended because some smug snot nosed kids wore an American flag shirt. NO! Because some of them would be wearing them too. Thats the difference.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with celebrating the heritage of where you are from. There is also nothing wrong with reminding people where you live now. If you live in America, your loyalty should be to America, always. If the sight of the American flag is offensive to a person or culture, then that person or culture should leave. Period.

Let's assume, like I already said, these 4 kids did this to be provacative. If they did, shame on them. But let's get real. They wore the American flag!!! The real question is, why did some of the Mexican American kids and the vice principal and everyone else who got offended get offended? Go ahead and celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Four kids wearing American flags is really so blasphemous that we are having this argument?

Blasphemous??? Are you kidding me? That is ridiculous.

You're asking the wrong guy...I'm of Italian descent. They can do away with Columbus Day for all I care.

As a fellow Italian I agree 100%, it's useless. They should change it to "Italian American musician Day". Hang out all day, listen to Frank and Louie Primo, sip some whiskey, make sexy eyes at a lady friend, and eventually close the damn deal. Thats how would I would do that.

As a fellow Italian I agree 100%, it's useless. They should change it to "Italian American musician Day". Hang out all day, listen to Frank and Louie Primo, sip some whiskey, make sexy eyes at a lady friend, and eventually close the damn deal. Thats how would I would do that.

lol..my kind of holiday.

I am jealous of people with one culture. I am half Irish and half Jewish. I'd like to get drunk, but I am too cheap. :rim:

See? It is easy to make fun of yourself. People need to have thicker skins and just enjoy life.

It's ok to celebrate it butt you can;t expect everyone else to celebrate it too. Why do they focus on the kids wearing the american flag shirt when maybe 60% of the country is drinking and whoop it up just like they do on St. Patties day. America loves other countries Holidays hallmarked by drinking and eating with friend and family. But thesekids wearing a flag shirt on that day and them caomplaining about it is simply being overly senseitve and looking for a reason to biitch. They should STFU respect this country and biitch about taxes like the rest of us. Honestyl? Could you imagine a good old fashion Irish boy getting offended because some smug snot nosed kids wore an American flag shirt. NO! Because some of them would be wearing them too. Thats the difference.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with celebrating the heritage of where you are from. There is also nothing wrong with reminding people where you live now. If you live in America, your loyalty should be to America, always. If the sight of the American flag is offensive to a person or culture, then that person or culture should leave. Period.

I agree with the two of you. I think part, for me, is that the kids wearing the American flag are using it as an excuse to try and slap other people in the face. It should be within their rights to wear the shirt. My parents are immigrants and keep to their traditions and celebrate amongst fellow Chilean their holiday's. But the celebrate the 4th of July and love this country because it helped them provide a great education for both of their children who are Americans.

I can't even respond intellingently enough to this moronic post.

Color me shocked.

Just answer me this one question though. Do you plan on making a trip to the Miami game?

World's tiniest bugle playing taps for the internet tough guy.

I think some of you guys are off the mark. It's not the sight of the flag that had the mexicans upset... if that was the case I'd say they to go eff themselves.

It's the fact that this band of pukes probably organized this "protest" in between games of Grand Theft Auto while laughing about how the "wetbacks" will react when they see them coming. These aren't adults they were punk kids... punk kids can't understand or care about what the flag represents. They were just trying to be funny.

Thats the difference.

No. The illegal immigration issue and the Arizona law is the difference. Nobody wears an American flag shirt on St. Patrick's day for the purpose of demeaning an already marginalized group of people. They wear orange for that, and yes, if a school happens to be religiously polarized to the extent that this one is racially to the point that it's going to cause disruption of the educational environment, they'd get sent home too.

lol..my kind of holiday.

My kind of Tuesday.

Archived