Decision on NY's Chilly Super Bowl Bid Due May 25

rick34125

Decision on NY's Chilly Super Bowl Bid Due May 25

By REUTERS

Published: May 6, 2010

Filed at 8:32 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The New York area will find out later this month whether its bid to host a chilly and possibly snowy Super Bowl in 2014 will be accepted, the National Football League said on Thursday.

Miami and Tampa Bay are also candidates to stage the NFL's championship game, and the successful host will be announced on May 25 after a vote among the league's 32 clubs at a two-day meeting in Texas where the league will also discuss other issues.

The NFL has insisted the Super Bowl, normally played in January or February, must be held in areas where the external temperature exceeds 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius) or in a stadium that has a closed roof.

But the NFL's Super Bowl Advisory agreed to amend the rules for 2014 to allow the New York Giants and New York Jets, who play their 'home' games across the state line in New Jersey, to submit a joint bid for their new stadium opening this year.

"No one has asked before but they applied to the committee to submit a bid and the committee agreed they would be allowed," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told Reuters.

"However, the committee does not decide who gets the Super Bowl. That is up to the 32 club owners."

Miami has hosted the Super Bowl 10 times, including this year. Tampa staged the game for the fourth time last year.

Dallas (2011), Indianapolis (2012) and New Orleans (2013) will host the next three Super Bowls.

The two-day meeting will also consider player safety issues and a proposal to change the overtime format for playoff matches.

(Reporting by Julian Linden; Editing by Frank Pingue)

There is no disadvantage to either team playing in perfect weather conditions. I'm not sure the reverse would be true.

I think it's a dumb idea.

Wrong. Teams that are built around the passing game will obviously benifit from ideal conditions.

So the league is going to assist two franchises financially by granting an SB in what would be one of the worst places to watch an outdoor event in February: the Northeast. Interesting.....and complete suckdom. Kick off at 6:30 in NJ/NY the first Sunday in February. Temps will be??? 10 degrees? Maybe a little snow. Wind chill. Like I said, complete suckdom.

If these owners-big executives all-go ahead with this idea and the weather is snowy or frigid, (remember the game starts at 6:30 PM), the press is going to have a field day satirizing the league for putting it's showcase even on in such conditions.

I cannot imagine the owners saying yes.

About the only thing I can think of that might save the idea is to commence construction immediately of a great big inflatable balloon covering the roof. Not only will it keep any possible snow out, but the heat both from portable heaters in the stadium and the body heat of the crowd would very likely bring the temperature up to mid 40's at least, probably higher. At the end of the game they can take the feather-light structure off and deflate it, leaving the stadium open air again.

Barring that, forget about a New York SuperBowl.

So the league is going to assist two franchises financially by granting an SB in what would be one of the worst places to watch an outdoor event in February: the Northeast. Interesting.....and complete suckdom. Kick off at 6:30 in NJ/NY the first Sunday in February. Temps will be??? 10 degrees? Maybe a little snow. Wind chill. Like I said, complete suckdom.

by 2014 global warming will have accelerated so much that it will be 60degrees.

What a crock of bullsheet. Good old days - playing in slop/cold where talent did not always prevail - only big boys with flat feet. Stupid. Worse yet - being a fan and sitting in the stands when the wind chill dips to 15 below. Trust me when I tell you this - and even if your team in winning - that kind of cold is miserable to sit in.

What a crock of bullsheet. Good old days - playing in slop/cold where talent did not always prevail - only big boys with flat feet. Stupid. Worse yet - being a fan and sitting in the stands when the wind chill dips to 15 below. Trust me when I tell you this - and even if your team in winning - that kind of cold is miserable to sit in.

Garb this conversation is about the 2014 Super Bowl. It obviously doesn't involve the Patriots.

Unless you can provide proof that the NFL is going to allow the Pats to start videotaping again, sit this one out.

Garb this conversation is about the 2014 Super Bowl. It obviously doesn't involve the Patriots.

Unless you can provide proof that the NFL is going to allow the Pats to start videotaping again, sit this one out.

Pretty certain it won't involve the jets either!

Its funny the greatest game ever played Colts/Giants was in this kind of weather.

Also I was there January 3rd Jets Bengals not once was I miserable it was one of the best games I ever been to, right behind the Jets beat down of the Colts in 2002, another game played in January with sub freezing temps.

Its funny the greatest game ever played Colts/Giants was in this kind of weather.

Also I was there January 3rd Jets Bengals not once was I miserable it was one of the best games I ever been to, right behind the Jets beat down of the Colts in 2002, another game played in January with sub freezing temps.

That Cincy game was the coldest ive ever been at a game. With all the layers I had on and I was still freezing my ass off. Solidified my decision to no longer have season tickets.

I suppose if the media keeps telling you it was "the greatest game ever played" the sheep will start believing it. :rolleyes:

Sub zero temps suck, period.

Archived