Help with Dreamweaver - Consistent Menu Links

Jbro22

I realize I'm taking a shot in the dark asking here at JN, as theres only a few of you that could possible be able to answer this, but here goes anyways.

Okay, the company I'm currently working for told me the only way I could continue working for them is if re design their website and bring it up to date.

Here's the old one http://eyeweardesigns.com

Although I had zero knowledge in dreamweaver, I told them I could do it thinking, I could definitely do a much better job than the 5th school project their currently going with. So I grabbed a simple template and self taught my self the rest.

I'm currently using a Horizontal Spry Menu for navigation. It all works, BUT I'm looking down the road, and if I was to make a change to that menu whether it would be adding or taking away a link, I would have to go through each page I created to make that happen. Which would be fine if it was 15 or so pages. BUT I'm working with a lot of product, probably 400+ pages.

So my question; Is there a way I get update just 1 piece of code or page or anything, and it automatically change everything else?

Anyone?

I realize I'm taking a shot in the dark asking here at JN, as theres only a few of you that could possible be able to answer this, but here goes anyways.

Okay, the company I'm currently working for told me the only way I could continue working for them is if re design their website and bring it up to date.

Here's the old one http://eyeweardesigns.com

Although I had zero knowledge in dreamweaver, I told them I could do it thinking, I could definitely do a much better job than the 5th school project their currently going with. So I grabbed a simple template and self taught my self the rest.

I'm currently using a Horizontal Spry Menu for navigation. It all works, BUT I'm looking down the road, and if I was to make a change to that menu whether it would be adding or taking away a link, I would have to go through each page I created to make that happen. Which would be fine if it was 15 or so pages. BUT I'm working with a lot of product, probably 400+ pages.

So my question; Is there a way I get update just 1 piece of code or page or anything, and it automatically change everything else?

Anyone?

Yes.

There is a way to do this, but the last time I taught this software was CS1.

I just downloaded CS5, but don't really use Dreamweaver and haven't spent any time checking out what is new, so I am not sure how to walk you through this (otherwise I would). I'm sure between Google and the manual you will find a how-to. It is definitely do-able though, things like what you are looking for are sort of the whole point of that software... good luck.

Please practice good design... and good luck keeping your job.

Haha! I'm not sure why I find this funny but I guess it's because people either understand design principles or they don't. And those that don't.. well, they aren't aware that they don't.

Yes.

There is a way to do this, but the last time I taught this software was CS1.

I just downloaded CS5, but don't really use Dreamweaver and haven't spent any time checking out what is new, so I am not sure how to walk you through this (otherwise I would). I'm sure between Google and the manual you will find a how-to. It is definitely do-able though, things like what you are looking for are sort of the whole point of that software... good luck.

Haha, I would have quit this job a long time ago if it weren't for the benefits.

I consider myself pretty awesome at google and the internet in general, and have made it this far in the process thanks to finding the tutorials I needed through google and youtube.

My problem right now is that I don't know what I'm looking for. Could you give me a feature name or maybe search terms I could use? Keep in mind I have zero experience/education in web design. So what could seem like common knowledge to a web designer could be Chinese to me.

Thanks, appreciate all the help so far guys.

Haha, I would have quit this job a long time ago if it weren't for the benefits.

I consider myself pretty awesome at google and the internet in general, and have made it this far in the process thanks to finding the tutorials I needed through google and youtube.

My problem right now is that I don't know what I'm looking for. Could you give me a feature name or maybe search terms I could use? Keep in mind I have zero experience/education in web design. So what could seem like common knowledge to a web designer could be Chinese to me.

Thanks, appreciate all the help so far guys.

Take your laptop to Barnes and Noble. Grab the Dreamweaver Bible or Dreamweaver for Dummies. Practice whats in the book on your laptop. After a while I got tired of running to B&N and bought the CS4 Books. But for now, thats a good place to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, Think I figured it out. Server Side Include or SSI is what I needed to know.

Anyways, My new questions is this....

We have our old site, and we'd like to keep that up and running right up until we deploy the new one. But, to test the SSI feature I just installed I need to upload the new site to the server.

Is there a way I can set up a hidden test site on our current server so that I can test things out? Theres gotta be right? Anyone know how?

Up until now, I've been testing it all locally.

Okay, Think I figured it out. Server Side Include or SSI is what I needed to know.

Anyways, My new questions is this....

We have our old site, and we'd like to keep that up and running right up until we deploy the new one. But, to test the SSI feature I just installed I need to upload the new site to the server.

Is there a way I can set up a hidden test site on our current server so that I can test things out? Theres gotta be right? Anyone know how?

Up until now, I've been testing it all locally.

Simplest way...

Leave the old site alone, and add a directory/folder called "test" with all of the new site files in it.

Type in:

http://www.existingurl.com/test/

oes it have the concept of include files, or site templates?

Are you referring to dreamweaver? If so yes. I thought I figured it all out and put the site online and found out that our server doesn't support Server Side Includes... Sucks.

I got one more day to figure it out as tomorrow is my last day with that company and I'm starting my new job Monday. I was supposed to have till the end of June to finish it, unforeseeable problems aside, I think I would have completed it. What sucks is, they see what I did as no progress because there's no new website up, meanwhile I've been workin on it for a couple months. If I can figure it out I can pass it on to someone else in the marketing Dept there.

I mean, I put together a pretty good website with zero knowledge of dreamweaver/html 3 months ago. I got a better job opportunity and feel bad leaving them with nothing. I tried to do right by them and not just mail it in my last 2 weeks. But they probably should have hired a real web designer - not try to make the underpaid temp turned fulltimer with a degree in Advertising and PR do it.

Tomorrow should be interesting. But honestly, I could care less about any of it or the people that work there when the clock strikes 5pm. I tried.

Are you referring to dreamweaver? If so yes. I thought I figured it all out and put the site online and found out that our server doesn't support Server Side Includes... Sucks..

That does suck..

Good luck

Archived