Mike Holmgren on Seattle Radio

addage

Holmgren is a beloved figure in Seattle so he is on the radio fairly often. Golic was asking him about defensive players that you had to plan for. Holmgren talked about Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White.

Later in the interview he was asked if there was any defensive players in today's NFL that you specifically had to game plan for. Answer: Revis

Pretty damned impressive to hear Revis mentioned in the same breath as Taylor and White.

Homgren also was guarded but positive about Eric.

That is pretty impressive. Another thing thats impressive is that the Jets finally seem to be a model in the NFL's "copycat league" as opposed to one of the copycats. I believe it was Gruden during the ESPN covg of the draft that was talking along those lines... Saying the Jets and Saints were far and away the two best defenses in the league last year. And they both did it using a hybrid defensive scheme that utilized a lot of players in exotic blitz packages. The reason both teams could afford to do that was because they were comfortable enough with their secondary to stick with the receivers for 3 or 4 seconds until the pressure would inevitably get to the QB.

He was making the point that both of those defenses, already strong in the secondary, took db's with their 1st round picks, and that if both teams have similar success defensively this year as they had last year...Expect CB's to garner a lot more focus and money in future drafts and FA signings.

Our defense this year is going to give a new meaning to "cover 3..." Blitz 8, Revis/Cro/Wilson man up. :)

LOL. I also think the addition of Pool to our secondary is being very underrated by everyone. Yes, he's had concussion problems and health concerns, but he's a lunch-pail, blue-collar type of veteran who can LAY THE WOOD in the open field. We now have four safeties that fit that descrption... And with our CB's as good as they are, I dont think we need to have an Ed Reed type at Safety for this defense to be scary good.

That is pretty impressive. Another thing thats impressive is that the Jets finally seem to be a model in the NFL's "copycat league" as opposed to one of the copycats. I believe it was Gruden during the ESPN covg of the draft that was talking along those lines... Saying the Jets and Saints were far and away the two best defenses in the league last year. And they both did it using a hybrid defensive scheme that utilized a lot of players in exotic blitz packages. The reason both teams could afford to do that was because they were comfortable enough with their secondary to stick with the receivers for 3 or 4 seconds until the pressure would inevitably get to the QB.

He was making the point that both of those defenses, already strong in the secondary, took db's with their 1st round picks, and that if both teams have similar success defensively this year as they had last year...Expect CB's to garner a lot more focus and money in future drafts and FA signings.

That would be much more impressive if he didn't try to lump us in with the Saints. The Saints D was out of the top 20 in scoring, yards and yards per play. Their D was NOT good. Good enough with that O, but not good. Malcolm Jenkins blows at CB and they need to move him to S, so picking a CB was no shock.

On WFAN Carl Banks was pushing the theory that Holmgren is just waiting for Andy Reid's contract with Philly to expire so he can hire his identical twin. In that scenario Mangini is just a placeholder. But Banks also works the McNabb trade into this theory, which makes it a little kooky.

On WFAN Carl Banks was pushing the theory that Holmgren is just waiting for Andy Reid's contract with Philly to expire so he can hire his identical twin. In that scenario Mangini is just a placeholder. But Banks also works the McNabb trade into this theory, which makes it a little kooky.

Holmgren calling the shots and Reid coaching. Cleveland would respond I believe.

Yes, he's had concussion problems and health concerns, but he's a lunch-pail, blue-collar type of veteran who can LAY THE WOOD in the open field.

I really don't remember Pool having any kind of rep as a hitter until he became a Jet.

I never heard of the guy till he became a Jet... But many people have said he's a hard hitter, and thats why he's had his concussion problems.

He was a guy who's always had the talent but never stayed healthy until a couple years ago. Never had a reputation as a hitter, and it's certainly not the reason we signed him. If he was a big hitter his concussions would probably be a bigger issue than is being made.

Homgren also was guarded but positive about Eric.

What's he supposed to say? "I inherited the delusional Beli wannabe." "Getting rid of his mope azz was far down on my list of priority's - I'm calling the shots anyway." "He'll be back to getting the pizza's for somebody else come February."

Archived