Disdain still surfacing over infield-Fenway

Lil Bit Special

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/05/field_of_dreams.html

Players from the Red Sox and virtually every other team in the American League say it's one of the worst surfaces in baseball. There are bad hops galore, especially on the left side, and players say the grass is too long.

The Sox tore up the field up a few years ago and put in a new one. That didn't help. They need to try again and get it right this time and hire the best people to do it. This is an issue that goes well beyond Theo Epstein, Terry Francona and the players. It has to be on the agenda of people like Larry Lucchino and Sam Kennedy.

I'm sure some folks will say that these millionaire players need to pipe down and that the field is fine. But it's not. The Red Sox have the second-highest payroll in baseball. They have spent millions refurbishing Fenway Park. They are building a new spring training stadium in Florida. There is no part of the operation where corners are cut. It's a first-class organization, one of the best in baseball. People in New England should be immensely proud of that.

That's what makes having a poor playing surface inexcusable. It makes little sense to do everything right as an organization then hold your breath every time there's a grounder to third base.

The Sox like to say that Fenway is America's most beloved ballpark. If that's the case, the playing field should live up to that standard. It doesn't seem like too much to expect.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/05/field_of_dreams.html

Players from the Red Sox and virtually every other team in the American League say it's one of the worst surfaces in baseball. There are bad hops galore, especially on the left side, and players say the grass is too long.

The Sox tore up the field up a few years ago and put in a new one. That didn't help. They need to try again and get it right this time and hire the best people to do it. This is an issue that goes well beyond Theo Epstein, Terry Francona and the players. It has to be on the agenda of people like Larry Lucchino and Sam Kennedy.

I'm sure some folks will say that these millionaire players need to pipe down and that the field is fine. But it's not. The Red Sox have the second-highest payroll in baseball. They have spent millions refurbishing Fenway Park. They are building a new spring training stadium in Florida. There is no part of the operation where corners are cut. It's a first-class organization, one of the best in baseball. People in New England should be immensely proud of that.

That's what makes having a poor playing surface inexcusable. It makes little sense to do everything right as an organization then hold your breath every time there's a grounder to third base.

The Sox like to say that Fenway is America's most beloved ballpark. If that's the case, the playing field should live up to that standard. It doesn't seem like too much to expect.

Corners are cut.

Fenmway is a firetrap and a dump.

They like to say it but they're wrong. I'll take Wrigley over Fenway any day of the week. Plus Chicago is a much cooler town than Boston.

What a crock! Thing you should know: Nick Cafardo is the anti-Shaughnessy. This means he's a "players reporter" instead of a "management reporter" Both equally biased. I would suspect that grass is kept long, dead spots are there ON PURPOSE. It's called home field advantge, you dopes.

What a crock! Thing you should know: Nick Cafardo is the anti-Shaughnessy. This means he's a "players reporter" instead of a "management reporter" Both equally biased. I would suspect that grass is kept long, dead spots are there ON PURPOSE. It's called home field advantge, you dopes.

Every team tailors their infield to meet the talents of their club.

I disagree. Wrigley is a sh!t hole.

Been to Chicago 4 times... meh.

Wrigley kicks ass. Plus you can get an Old Style beer there, the bars around it are better, the women are hotter and don't talk with that stupid accent they have in Boston.

Wrigley>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fenway.

Wrigley kicks ass. Plus you can get an Old Style beer there, the bars around it are better, the women are hotter and don't talk with that stupid accent they have in Boston.

Wrigley>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fenway.

Have you been to Fenway in the last seven years? The bars at Wringley are better? LOL! There are about 100 bars/pubs/resturants around Fenway - not to mention they close Yawkey Way down and people eat, drink, party New Orleans style on the street. Old style beer? LOL!!! In Boston you can get old style, new style, free style and that micro crap.

Can't speak for the women being hotter - but since Boston is home to about 1,000 co-ed colleges, I'd say it's alright!

You probably already know this, but I suspect your bias colors your comments- not to mention you would not want to blow your image as the numero uno Boston Hater, right Zippy?

Tried Old Style. Meh. Nothing special. Sam Adams kicks its ass.

Bars better? All bars around stadiums are all the same. Nothing special in either city.

Women are ugly in both cities. So are the men.

Accent? Dont know how many people you listen to, but most people in Boston dont have the Southie accent that you disdain so much.

I think the biggest problem is your total hard-on for the city of Boston. Thats sad. That is one of the most pathetic thing about Boston is their total hatred of NY because of the Yankees. And now Yankee fans are lowering themselves to act like Bostonians. Sad. Very sad.

You can't compare the two my man, two totally different genres of beer.

I went to a game a few years back and enjoyed a draft Pabst Blue Ribbon in the bleachers. It was pure happiness.

they are two totally different beers. No debating that. But when he brought up Old Style, a Chicago beer, Sam Adams, a Boston beer was brought into the discussion.

Tried Old Style. Meh. Nothing special. Sam Adams kicks its ass.

Bars better? All bars around stadiums are all the same. Nothing special in either city.

Women are ugly in both cities. So are the men.

Accent? Dont know how many people you listen to, but most people in Boston dont have the Southie accent that you disdain so much.

I think the biggest problem is your total hard-on for the city of Boston. Thats sad. That is one of the most pathetic thing about Boston is their total hatred of NY because of the Yankees. And now Yankee fans are lowering themselves to act like Bostonians. Sad. Very sad.

Has nothing to do with any kind of hatred toward a city. Chicago is just a better city with more to offer than Boston and Wrigley and Wrigleyville blow away Fenway.

Have you been to Fenway in the last seven years? The bars at Wringley are better? LOL! There are about 100 bars/pubs/resturants around Fenway - not to mention they close Yawkey Way down and people eat, drink, party New Orleans style on the street. Old style beer? LOL!!! In Boston you can get old style, new style, free style and that micro crap.

Can't speak for the women being hotter - but since Boston is home to about 1,000 co-ed colleges, I'd say it's alright!

You probably already know this, but I suspect your bias colors your comments- not to mention you would not want to blow your image as the numero uno Boston Hater, right Zippy?

WRONG!!!

They shut down traffic on Clark St. for big games at Wrigley too.

Isn't that kind of an oxymoron

Opening day, Old Timers Day, the annual White Sox series. There's not many of them but they cherish them and party their asses off.

Was up there for Cubs-White Sox in '08. Great weekend. No way could it be topped by Fenway unless the Yankees were playing. ;)

Opening day, Old Timers Day, the annual White Sox series. There's not many of them but they cherish them and party their asses off.

Was up there for Cubs-White Sox in '08. Great weekend. No way could it be topped by Fenway unless the Yankees were playing. ;)

So you have no idea if the atmosphere is better at Fenway than Wrigley during "big games."

Ok. Gotcha.

I've been to Fenway (Yankees game), but have not been to Wrigley.

I view every stadium that I go to as a unique experience and try not to compare and contrast so much.

So you have no idea if the atmosphere is better at Fenway than Wrigley during "big games."

Ok. Gotcha.

Actually, I've been to Fenway for a Yankees game. The atmosphere is better at Wrigley.

Wrigley's like a big party no matter what the Cubs are doing on the field.

In Boston you have morons chanting "Yankees suck" when the Yanks are up by 8 runs in the 7th inning while the non-moronic Boston fans roll their eyes with looks of disgust on their faces because they think all of the New Yorkers in the crowd think all of them are jackasses.

Wrigley>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fenway

Actually, I've been to Fenway for a Yankees game. The atmosphere is better at Wrigley.

Wrigley's like a big party no matter what the Cubs are doing on the field.

And that right there is exactly why Wrigley falls behind Fenway. Fans dont care in Chicago. Funny... when I go to a game, I am there TO WATCH THE GAME!:D

Oh... and yes. Red Sox fans are pathetic with their Yankees Suck chants. Embarrassing for a team who has won 2 world series in the past decade.

Boston chicks are nasty

So you're saying the Mets don't even bother hiring a grounds crew?

The Mets have the 9th best fielding percentage in the game to date, and their players actually all have good range.

If your goal was to exhibit your ignorance, and to show what an ass you are, consider your comment successful.

Chicago and Boston are both greta cities. But Wrigley has better sightlines and they have within reason done a whole bunch to rehab the place and the area. Fenway is srrrounded by a very nice area as well. In fariness the times I went to Wrigley I was single and went to Fenway with the Mrs. and tykes in tow.

Fenway last time I was there a few years back still had wood seats. The sightlines suck. There are tons of standing room people walking around looking to jump into your seat. The Henry ownership group has spent a lot of money making various renovations, but problem is it still is a mess of a place. The same may be true of Wrigley, that there are limits to how much you can do while keeping the orginal park intact. But Wrigley, falling cement and all, is a better place to see a game.There is more light and air than dank, decrpit Fenway.

But both teams ought to consider replacing the stadiums. Cubs could move to what ever they're calling the White Sox park for a season or 2, but the Sawx probably need a real stadium.

+1 Exactly. I remember the Dodgers building up the 3rd base line so that Murray Will's bunt would stay fair for base hits.

The Mets have the 9th best fielding percentage in the game to date, and their players actually all have good range.

If your goal was to exhibit your ignorance, and to show what an ass you are, consider your comment successful.

Fielding percentage :bwahaharoll:

And you're going to call someone ignorant.

I don't think I could have laughed harder.

Archived