NFL looking for replacement players?

khesanh

It's looking a lot like the NFL Players Association and the league aren't going to work out their differences before next year, which will mean a lockout of all the current players.

So no pro football, right?

Wrong. Back in the 1987 labor disagreement, the league went with replacement players and it's looking like that will be the plan again in 2011 if a deal can't be struck. The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting that the NFL is rumored to be interested in buying a 25 percent stake in the United Football League in the hopes that the league that currently has five teams could be a "feeder league" if the NFL suddenly needs players for some crazy reason.

It won't be a lockout. The owners will claim that the NFLPA isn't using good faith in negotions and will be able to use whatever the most recent CBA being negotiated is as the de facto CBA leaving the ball in the players court. I'll try and find where I read about this cause the article makes way more sense and is more detailed than my explanation but it was a while ago so I don't know if I will have much luck.

This article makes a pretty strong argument for no lockout:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wm-david-cornwell-sr/there-will-not-be-a-locko_b_463803.html

This article makes a pretty strong argument for no lockout:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wm-david-cornwell-sr/there-will-not-be-a-locko_b_463803.html

Someone will crack, this is just a game of seeing who will blink first, but when push comes to shove it will be done and in time. I mean just look at baseball after the 94 strike, it set the game back ten years. No way they allow that to happen. Especially with the economy the way it is, people would turn away in droves.

Someone will crack, this is just a game of seeing who will blink first, but when push comes to shove it will be done and in time. I mean just look at baseball after the 94 strike, it set the game back ten years. No way they allow that to happen. Especially with the economy the way it is, people would turn away in droves.

Yes, but with the NBA also about to lock-out...Not to many places left for the sports fan to turn to. Hell, maybe the UFL would be able to sign some NFL players for the year, and people could watch that?

The very interesting article that was linked to seems to be that there will be no lock out in 2011 because the owners hold all the cards. This is true.

There most likely will still be a lock out because the NFLPA won

Watch the Jets win the Super Bowl with all replacement players. Hey the last time we had them the Jets Dolphins games were still great to watch-the rivalry was still there-even with the scrubs....err scabs

Archived