Cimini | A conversation with Curtis Martin

rick34125

A conversation with Curtis Martin

May, 12, 2010 May 12 5:16 PM ET

By Rich Cimini

I caught up with former Jets great Curtis Martin at Wednesday's Super Bowl '14 event at the New Meadowlands Stadium, and we discussed a number of topics -- everything from the Jets' new-look backfield to his first year of Hall-of-Fame eligibility.

Martin, who last played in 2005 but didn't retire until July, 2007, also talked about his ongoing pursuit of becoming an NFL owner. He first mentioned that dream at his retirement, and he hasn't abandoned it. Truth is, he sounded more confident than ever that it will become a reality.

"Something's going to happen," he said, flashing a knowing smile. "It's been too close a few times, and everything is in place for it to happen. It will happen. It just takes time."

Martin, who turned 37 on May 1, declined to say which team --or teams -- he's looking at. Now let's move on to some football topics.

Q: I know how much you like Thomas Jones and Leon Washington. Do you think the Jets are taking a chance by messing with their league-leading ground game?

CM: I think they had the league-leading ground game because of the line and the game plans. I believe lines make runners. Runners, we do well, but when the lines aren't good, no matter how good you are, you're not going to have those 14-, 15-, 1,600-yard seasons.

Q: Are the current running backs good enough?

CM: I definitely think they have the running backs. What I like about what they have now is the dynamic -- between experience and someone who knows the game (LaDainian Tomlinson) to someone who is very talented. I think (Shonn) Greene is very talented. I think he's one of those guys to look out for. If I was one of those guys in a fantasy league, he'd be someone I get this year. I think he has tremendous upside. I think them getting rid of Thomas Jones ... I don't know all the details, but I think Greene and Thomas Jones are similar backs (in terms of style). I think Greene is a little more agile, a little faster.

Q: Tomlinson looked shot at the end of last year. Do you think he has anything left?

CM: I do. If you have a certain type of passion to compete, which I believe L.T. has, I believe you look for opportunities like this, where everyone is against you. I was hurt (in 2003) and came back and had my best year (league-best 1,697 yards at age 31). Quite frankly, I thought I'd have an even better year the following year because of the way I felt. I felt like a rookie, but then I had the (knee) injury. Barring injury, I think L.T. will be perfect for this situation.

Q: Do you think he will be motivated by the naysayers?

CM: I believe he has that competitive mentality. I'm sure L.T. wasn't proud or ecstatic about his performance last year, and I'm sure he has a chip on his shoulder to bounce back. He'll be running behind one of the best lines.

Q: But they released Alan Faneca. Can it still be the same line?

CM: I still think they could be, if not the best, definitely one of the top three lines in the NFL.

Q: This will be your first year of Hall-of-Fame eligibility. How do you feel about that?

CM: It's something, previously, I thought, 'If it happens, it happens.' But as it gets closer, I find myself really hoping it happens. I think I do have the resume. It'll be exciting for me. It's something I never even dreamed could happen. For it to be right in my grasp, it would be exciting for me.

Q: I have a feeling I know who your presenter would be. Bill Parcells, right?

CM: Without a doubt, Parcells. I hope that he'd come and present for me.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always have, still do and always will Love Curtis Martin. Besides being one of my favorite Jets, he is class personified and just always says and does the right thing. One of the few professional athletes kids should look up to. And not just because he can give an interview without sounding like he should be back in 4th grade...the man is awesome.

That having been said, and even though he does have a resume that could garner him HOF entrance, I just never thought he passed the "eye-test" for me. I never saw him and though, this is one of the greatest backs that I will ever see. He was a hard worker, a grinder; had great seasons, games and a career, but never did he really pop out to me like a Marcus Allen, LT or Adrian Peterson.

However, the NFL and MLB have seemed to opt against the HOF being for only the elite of the elite players and have let in the very-good and great players. Since this is the case, I think Curtis was a very-good back and will probably get in.

Always have, still do and always will Love Curtis Martin. Besides being one of my favorite Jets, he is class personified and just always says and does the right thing. One of the few professional athletes kids should look up to. And not just because he can give an interview without sounding like he should be back in 4th grade...the man is awesome.

That having been said, and even though he does have a resume that could garner him HOF entrance, I just never thought he passed the "eye-test" for me. I never saw him and though, this is one of the greatest backs that I will ever see. He was a hard worker, a grinder; had great seasons, games and a career, but never did he really pop out to me like a Marcus Allen, LT or Adrian Peterson.

However, the NFL and MLB have seemed to opt against the HOF being for only the elite of the elite players and have let in the very-good and great players. Since this is the case, I think Curtis was a very-good back and will probably get in.

+1

I cannot wait for My Favorite Martin to be elected. I will be there drapped in his jersey in tears of joy for the greatest Jet not named Namath ever.

Agreed.

Probably? Dude is in the HOF for sure.

Curtis wasnt a flashy runner, he was a grinder, and he was one of the best grinders to ever play the position. Most flashy RB's, dont last long in the NFL and in turn, dont have the impact of a guy like Curtis.

People like to diss Curtis for this all the time and its ridiculous. You dont just fall over and acumulate 14, 000 yrds. Dude definitely has the resume. Him and Barry are the only RB's ever to run for 1,000 yrds their first 10 years in the NFL, that is an incredible company. 4th all time yrds, 12th TDs, 10th on yrds per game. ROY, 5 pro bowls, 1 All Pro, 1 rushing title...he was an outstanding receiver. I want to say he is close top 10 all time in receptions for RB. Guy did it all, he's going in.

Agreed.

Probably? Dude is in the HOF for sure.

Curtis wasnt a flashy runner, he was a grinder, and he was one of the best grinders to ever play the position. Most flashy RB's, dont last long in the NFL and in turn, dont have the impact of a guy like Curtis.

People like to diss Curtis for this all the time and its ridiculous. You dont just fall over and acumulate 14, 000 yrds. Dude definitely has the resume. Him and Barry are the only RB's ever to run for 1,000 yrds their first 10 years in the NFL, that is an incredible company. 4th all time yrds, 12th TDs, 10th on yrds per game. ROY, 5 pro bowls, 1 All Pro, 1 rushing title...he was an outstanding receiver. I want to say he is close top 10 all time in receptions for RB. Guy did it all, he's going in.

He wasn't the receiver Tiki Barber was and Martin made 2 Pro Bowls avg 3.5 and 3.6 ypc.. How many backs can say that??:D If he makes the Hall he should have Hackett up there with the Tuna because those 3rd and longs add up..

Sounds to me like Curtis is going to be the latest celebrity co-owner of the Dolphins.

Woody Johnson has gone on record that he will never split up ownership of the Jets so that choice is out. The Fins love to collect celeb owners, I guess Curtis is next.

CM: I think they had the league-leading ground game because of the line and the game plans. I believe lines make runners. Runners, we do well, but when the lines aren't good, no matter how good you are, you're not going to have those 14-, 15-, 1,600-yard seasons.
I <3 Curtis Martin.

90% of RBs are OL made...it's why LT and Barry Sanders were so stunning and not overrated (I'm looking at you Emmit Smith).

I cannot wait for My Favorite Martin to be elected. I will be there drapped in his jersey in tears of joy for the greatest Jet not named Namath ever.

Martin is BETTER than Namath. I honestly think Namath sucked, he just had that Super Bowl guarantee.

You don't? Thomas Jones has done just that for almost 10K and he sucked for most of his career. 1,000 yard seasons are a joke. That "milestone" was from a 10 game season, now you do it with 60% more games and there's supposed to be a parade? I liked him and he'll deserve the hall. He was a class act all the way, but he's way down the list of all time great RBs. Way down.

Martin is BETTER than Namath. I honestly think Namath sucked, he just had that Super Bowl guarantee.

Obviously another underaged genius that never saw the man play. Have fun looking at your statistics. The guy was a ****ing monster. Martin couldn't dream of taking over a game the way Namath did. Oh and in the big spot he didn't **** the bed.

You don't? Thomas Jones has done just that for almost 10K and he sucked for most of his career. 1,000 yard seasons are a joke. That "milestone" was from a 10 game season, now you do it with 60% more games and there's supposed to be a parade? I liked him and he'll deserve the hall. He was a class act all the way, but he's way down the list of all time great RBs. Way down.

Obviously another underaged genius that never saw the man play. Have fun looking at your statistics. The guy was a ****ing monster. Martin couldn't dream of taking over a game the way Namath did. Oh and in the big spot he didn't **** the bed.

Besides less games backs used to get around 230-250 carries a year not 360 like Martin did.. The Pro Bowl is a joke in 03 LT had 1645 yds rushing 13 td's 5.3 ypc and 100 catches and didn't make the Pro Bowl..

Besides less games backs used to get around 230-250 carries a year not 360 like Martin did.. The Pro Bowl is a joke in 03 LT had 1645 yds rushing 13 td's 5.3 ypc and 100 catches and didn't make the Pro Bowl..

really....how is that possible?

I never understood why some Jets fans reduce Martin career to a stat compiler. Thats what you want your running back to be no?

You have to draft a franchise RB who are you taking? Martins consistent 10 years, you know what your getting every single season or 1 of these flash in the pan 3-4 season guys who can break a big play here and there? The Adrian Petersons, Chris Johnsons of the world?

Fantasy football F'ed so many of you up.

I never understood why some Jets fans reduce Martin career to a stat compiler. Thats what you want your running back to be no?

You have to draft a franchise RB who are you taking? Martins consistent 10 years, you know what your getting every single season or 1 of these flash in the pan 3-4 season guys who can break a big play here and there? The Adrian Petersons, Chris Johnsons of the world?

This.

And for all the MORONS who talk about Curtis' perfomance in the 1998 AFC Championship Game I'd like to know how exactly it was Curtis' fault that the Jets committed 6 turnovers and forced none and how it was Curtis' fault that Keith Byars fumbled the ****ing ball. I guess the recent oil spill crisis is Curtis' fault as well, because thats about as ridiculous as any other anti-Curtis complaint any moronic ******* disphit cum guzzling gutter slut Jets fan could make.

F all Curtis haters. They're all SCUM.

It's funny that you blame fantasy football when that stat compiling attitude is what causes most of you to worship his highness Curtis Martin. Martin was probably a top 5 back for most of his career and very durable. I don't recall him ever being the best back in the league or even seriously in the conversation. He didn

It's funny that you blame fantasy football when that stat compiling attitude is what causes most of you to worship his highness Curtis Martin. Martin was probably a top 5 back for most of his career and very durable. I don't recall him ever being the best back in the league or even seriously in the conversation. He didn’t lose games for us, but I don’t remember ever thinking he could or would take over a game.

FWIW I'm drafting Earl Campbell every ****ing time, but that's just me.

Yeah there's obviously backs in history I'd take over him.

Martin was a career compiler not a big season fantasy compiler.

It's almost a clear divide in who worships Cmart and what Jets fans just see him as a solid RB. Any jets fan 20-30 years old grew up watching him lead the team. He was the face of the Jets for us. He was the guy, every season always could count on him.

Very similar with Don Mattingly for Yankee Fans in their Late 20's - Early 30's.

It's almost a clear divide in who worships Cmart and what Jets fans just see him as a solid RB. Any jets fan 20-30 years old grew up watching him lead the team. He was the face of the Jets for us. He was the guy, every season always could count on him.

Very similar with Don Mattingly for Yankee Fans in their Late 20's - Early 30's.

I agree with most of this. Some of us older guys remember McNeil, Boozer and Riggins. My memory of pre-injury Boozer is fuzzy, but the other two when healthy were monsters in a way that Martin never was. McNeil was hurt a ton and Riggins was crazy and jumped ship so they didn't have the Jets careers of a guy like Martin, but I didn't spend much time watching Martin and thinking "How'd he do that?" McNeil was like an artist - check the Bengals and Raiders playoff games in '82 for proof. Martin was a blue collar worker who went hard until the whistle and always gave an honest effort.

What I don't agree with at all is the Mattingly comparison- other than being the face of the franchise. Mattingly didn't "compile" enough to make the HOF, but he was without a doubt one of the best 2 or 3 players in baseball for around 5 years. I don't think Martin ever reached that level and that's mainly what I'm complaining about.

It's almost a clear divide in who worships C Mart and what Jets fans just see him as a solid RB. Any jets fan 20-30 years old grew up watching him lead the team. He was the face of the Jets for us. He was the guy, every season always could count on him.

Martin was a very durable workhorse back.. He carried himself as all pro players should.. He was one of the best role models ever for kids.. Your exactly right when you say kids that grew up with him as the back to them he was the face of the Jets idolize him.. Now can we talk football?? On JI 2 years ago they had a all time draft with just Jet fans. Not one fan took Martin as a starting back. One poster took Tiki Barber as a starter. He did make the backup spot for one fan.. Ask yourself this.. In a big Game would you rather have Matt Snell,Freeman, Shonn Greene or Martin? My problem with Martin was not as a person, it's just to me a 1st and 3rd pick plus a huge contract for 4 ypc and 7 td's a year isn't good value. And keep in mind when the Tuna took over Dallas if his contract wasn't such a albatross he would have been in Texas in a NY minute.

I agree with most of this. Some of us older guys remember McNeil, Boozer and Riggins. My memory of pre-injury Boozer is fuzzy, but the other two when healthy were monsters in a way that Martin never was. McNeil was hurt a ton and Riggins was crazy and jumped ship so they didn't have the Jets careers of a guy like Martin, but I didn't spend much time watching Martin and thinking "How'd he do that?" McNeil was like an artist - check the Bengals and Raiders playoff games in '82 for proof. Martin was a blue collar worker who went hard until the whistle and always gave an honest effort.

What I don't agree with at all is the Mattingly comparisin- other than being the face of the franchise. Mattingly didn't "compile" enough to make the HOF, but he was without a doubt one of the best 2 or 3 players in baseball for around 5 years. I don't think Martin ever reached that level and that's mainly what I'm complaining about.

I understand what you're saying about Mattingly, I know Curtis wasn't at the top of the game like Donnie, but from a fans perspective its like the perfect example. I was 12 when I really started paying attention to the Jets. I didn't understand football like I do know. But Martin was my hero when it came to football. Just like Mattingly was the young Yankees fan hero. You didn't really care about the stats at the time, you jsut wanted to go to the game to see Martin, or Mattingly. You know?

Martin was a very durable workhorse back.. He carried himself as all pro players should.. He was one of the best role models ever for kids.. Your exactly right when you say kids that grew up with him as the back to them he was the face of the Jets idolize him.. Now can we talk football?? On JI 2 years ago they had a all time draft with just Jet fans. Not one fan took Martin as a starting back. One poster took Tiki Barber as a starter. He did make the backup spot for one fan.. Ask yourself this.. In a big Game would you rather have Matt Snell,Freeman, Shonn Greene or Martin? My problem with Martin was not as a person, it's just to me a 1st and 3rd pick plus a huge contract for 4 ypc and 7 td's a year isn't good value. And keep in mind when the Tuna took over Dallas if his contract wasn't such a albatross he would have been in Texas in a NY minute.

I understand this point, the whole big game scenerio. But knowing what you know now, you're handed a franchise and told to draft not for 1 season, but for the next 10 years. You'd still take Tiki of Curtis? I can't speak on Snell and Freeman - wish I could. I've only seen a couple of their plays here and there.

If so easy and its such a joke of a milestone, how come only Curtis and Sanders have done it?

And I dont think anyone is agruing that Curtis is a top 5 Rb...thats not the case. Maybe even not top 10. But he definitely in the next tier IMO, and too me based of sheer numbers and years the NFL has been around, thats an all time great and worthy of the HOF.

I love when Savage comes in and throws his ypc around at you...Mike Vick has the best all time ypc...lol. Its a good stat and one of value, but you dont just fall over for 14,000 yards 4th on the all time list...period.

I understand this point, the whole big game scenerio. But knowing what you know now, you're handed a franchise and told to draft not for 1 season, but for the next 10 years. You'd still take Tiki of Curtis? I can't speak on Snell and Freeman - wish I could. I've only seen a couple of their plays here and there.

I saw Freeman's whole career, he was a spectacular runner who was sadly injury prone. Had a stretch of five straight years where he got hurt about midway through the season while leading at least the AFC in rushing. He missed 24 games in that 5-year period. If not, lord knows what his career totals would look like. It definitely cost him 10,000 career yards.

With that said, I'll take Curtis' steadiness and reliability over Freeman's intermittent spectacular play because who knows how many games were lost because of Freeman's absence during that stretch?

I understand this point, the whole big game scenario. But knowing what you know now, you're handed a franchise and told to draft not for 1 season, but for the next 10 years. You'd still take Tiki of Curtis? I can't speak on Snell and Freeman - wish I could. I've only seen a couple of their plays here and there.

Actually I'd take Terrell Davis..:) Forget personalities and just talking football? Tiki put together more consecutive big years in a row then Martin. From 2000 on when the Giants used Tiki more he avg 4.8 ypc. His last 5 years he avg over 1500 yds a year and had 5 200+ games.. Plus he was better at receiving so for just a 2nd rd pick which he was I'd take Tiki..

Snell in Super III was the real MVP not Joe who called a great game.. The 13-1 Colts were considered the best team of the past 50 years.. Snell just kicked butt and scored the only td..Freeman after 200+ in the playoffs against the Bengals and 100+ against the Raiders, Shula made sure that the Field was Mud for the AFC Championship game..

If Curtis Martin is a stat compiler, what would you call Dan Marino?

That would apply to Favre not Marino.. Martin (His Words) wanted all the carries..He played when he was too hurt to pratice to compile..Plus after the Tuna left who was his OC?? His college coach..How lucky can you get? Remember the 01 Raider game? We needed that to make the Playoffs.. Jordan got 1 carry went 47 yds for a td and never got another carry..There was a reason Wayne,Vinny and Jordan hated Hackett..Without Hackett Martin has no chance for the HOF..

Actually I'd take Terrell Davis..:) Forget personalities and just talking football? Tiki put together more consecutive big years in a row then Martin. From 2000 on when the Giants used Tiki more he avg 4.8 ypc. His last 5 years he avg over 1500 yds a year and had 5 200+ games.. Plus he was better at receiving so for just a 2nd rd pick which he was I'd take Tiki..

Snell in Super III was the real MVP not Joe who called a great game.. The 13-1 Colts were considered the best team of the past 50 years.. Snell just kicked butt and scored the only td..Freeman after 200+ in the playoffs against the Bengals and 100+ against the Raiders, Shula made sure that the Field was Mud for the AFC Championship game..

Martin - 11 seasons - 100 total TDs

Barber - 10 seasons - 67 total TDs

Scoring's the most important thing any player can do right? :Nuts:

Martin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Barber.

That would apply to Favre not Marino.. Martin (His Words) wanted all the carries..He played when he was too hurt to pratice to compile..Plus after the Tuna left who was his OC?? His college coach..How lucky can you get? Remember the 01 Raider game? We needed that to make the Playoffs.. Jordan got 1 carry went 47 yds for a td and never got another carry..There was a reason Wayne,Vinny and Jordan hated Hackett..Without Hackett Martin has no chance for the HOF..

Really? Favre's got a ring, Marino doesn't. Favre>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marino. Marino=stat compiler.

If so easy and its such a joke of a milestone, how come only Curtis and Sanders have done it?

And I dont think anyone is agruing that Curtis is a top 5 Rb...thats not the case. Maybe even not top 10. But he definitely in the next tier IMO, and too me based of sheer numbers and years the NFL has been around, thats an all time great and worthy of the HOF.

I love when Savage comes in and throws his ypc around at you...Mike Vick has the best all time ypc...lol. Its a good stat and one of value, but you dont just fall over for 14,000 yards 4th on the all time list...period.

Nature of the league. Mostly it's durability. I give Martin credit for that. OTOH 1,600 should be the milestone. He did that once and it probably ruined him.

I think they've gotten so into the Martin compiler argument that they've actually started to not like the guy.

I'll like him. I'll be proud and happy when he enters the HOF. The problem was really his contract. He was a very good player that handled himself exactly as you'd hope a player would.

The "hate" comes from two things. First is the money. Much like the Pennington deal that handcuffed the team for years. If Pennington didn't get all that money a lot of people would still love him. He tried hard, but he got money that could have gone elsewhere. Not their fault, but it still hurts the team.

The other is hearing people compare him with all-time greats. Martin had a great career, but he never was a great back. He was a very good back for a very long time and that amounts to a great career, but watch Payton, Simpson or Campbell in their prime and then watch any Curtis Martin game and you'll know what I'm talking about. Hell, check out Billy Simms first couple of years. There was plenty of hate for Franco Harris too. Hell, Jim Brown was talking about a comeback just to keep compiler Harris from breaking his records.

The other is hearing people compare him with all-time greats. Martin had a great career, but he never was a great back. He was a very good back for a very long time and that amounts to a great career, but watch Payton, Simpson or Campbell in their prime and then watch any Curtis Martin game and you'll know what I'm talking about. Hell, check out Billy Simms first couple of years. There was plenty of hate for Franco Harris too. Hell, Jim Brown was talking about a comeback just to keep compiler Harris from breaking his records.

I think I remember hearing Franco Harris talk on this not too long ago. I think he said a lot of people got on him for stepping out of bounds instead of fighting for that extra yard or two. But he knew he already got the first down and knew his career would last much longer if he didn't give that extra push.

I mean, can you blame the guy?

Archived