Ellis denied a contract extension

Kentucky Jet

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. First, Thomas Jones, then Alan Faneca. Will Shaun Ellis be the next over-30 veteran to get dumped by the Jets? He wonders.

Ellis told the Associated Press Thursday that his request for a contract extension was rejected by the Jets, leading him to believe he might not be with the team for the upcoming season. It's believed that Ellis, 32, was dangled in trade talks before last month's draft, usually an ominous sign, but he's in no danger of being jettisoned, according to a person familiar with the team's thinking.

The Jets' longest-tenured player, Ellis is due to make $3.35 million in the final year of his contract. It's a fairly hefty price tag, but he's still a relatively productive player. He recorded 6

Isn't Ellis a UFA after this season? If so, it would be completely idiotic to trade him at this point. I love Ellis and what he's done thus far, but he's getting old and it's time for the Jets to move on.

I will always love the guy and the passion he has.

I think it will become mandatory that we get a d linemen in our first 2 picks in next years draft...ellis is gettin way too old, jenkins is gettin up there too, but at least we r still younger than the steelers "handicapped" d line. Steelers draft confused the living helll out of me and nobody cant justify it.

I still think us not getting cam thomas will bite us in the asss when we see how good he'll turn out for the chargers in the future.

Ellis is one of my favorite Jets. I understand he's getting older--but he has value to the team and to the fanbase. I'd like to see him play out his career as a Jet. He's been a soldier for us and played in an awful lot of games without pissing and moaning, or sitting out with injury. There's a lot a young player can learn from him.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. First, Thomas Jones, then Alan Faneca. Will Shaun Ellis be the next over-30 veteran to get dumped by the Jets? He wonders.

Ellis told the Associated Press Thursday that his request for a contract extension was rejected by the Jets, leading him to believe he might not be with the team for the upcoming season. It's believed that Ellis, 32, was dangled in trade talks before last month's draft, usually an ominous sign, but he's in no danger of being jettisoned, according to a person familiar with the team's thinking.

Simply because the Jets have diddly squat to replace him with. :P

I think it will become mandatory that we get a d linemen in our first 2 picks in next years draft...ellis is gettin way too old, jenkins is gettin up there too, but at least we r still younger than the steelers "handicapped" d line. Steelers draft confused the living helll out of me and nobody cant justify it.

I still think us not getting cam thomas will bite us in the asss when we see how good he'll turn out for the chargers in the future.

Terrence Cody > Cam Thomas

I really wonder wtf the thoughts are on the DL inside the organization...

Ellis is one of my favorite Jets. I understand he's getting older--but he has value to the team and to the fanbase. I'd like to see him play out his career as a Jet. He's been a soldier for us and played in an awful lot of games without pissing and moaning, or sitting out with injury. There's a lot a young player can learn from him.

Agreed but let's see how his productivity is this year. I don't blame the Jets one bit. Who would you rather keep ? Ellis or Revis ? ::GoJets:

Ellis is a fan favorite and a productive player. If they release him than its time for everyone to take the idea that the Jets are having money troubles seriously.

First of all, they have no plans to release him this season. Secondly, releasing him next year is not evidence that they have money problems. It means that Ellis is old (32) and that we're trying to use the money wisely by keeping around the core of our team (Revis, Harris, Mangold, Ferguson).

No reason to be flipping the panic switch. The Jets having an out with the old, in with the new philosophy, while sometimes painful to deal with as it ousts some fan favorites at times, is a good thing.

Its far better than signing players to contract extensions when they have very little in the tank just because they're likable.

Archived