Jets unlikely to release Ellis despite trade attempts

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/13/jets-unlikely-to-release-shaun-ellis-despite-trade-attempts/

The first reports regarding a possible trade of Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis surfaced last month, with coach Rex Ryan forced to issue a non-denial denial.

Well, the reports are back again. But Manish Mehta of the Newark Star-Ledger writes that the Jets haven't found any takers after trying to deal Ellis. The Jets wound up cutting Alan Faneca after they couldn't trade him, but don't look for Ellis to suffer the same fate.

Ellis' salary -- $3.35 million -- isn't that outrageous. And the Jets aren't that deep at defensive end. A Jets spokesman told Mehta that Ellis is expected to be on the roster.

Unless, of course, someone wants to give up a draft pick for the 32-year-old veteran.

AT THE END OF THE DAY HE WILL BE REMEMBERED AS ONE OF THE GREAT JETS OF THIS ERA.....CAN WE PLZ SIGN THIS BEAST!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/13/jets-unlikely-to-release-shaun-ellis-despite-trade-attempts/

The first reports regarding a possible trade of Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis surfaced last month, with coach Rex Ryan forced to issue a non-denial denial.

Well, the reports are back again. But Manish Mehta of the Newark Star-Ledger writes that the Jets haven't found any takers after trying to deal Ellis. The Jets wound up cutting Alan Faneca after they couldn't trade him, but don't look for Ellis to suffer the same fate.

Ellis' salary -- $3.35 million -- isn't that outrageous. And the Jets aren't that deep at defensive end. A Jets spokesman told Mehta that Ellis is expected to be on the roster.

Unless, of course, someone wants to give up a draft pick for the 32-year-old veteran.

AT THE END OF THE DAY HE WILL BE REMEMBERED AS ONE OF THE GREAT JETS OF THIS ERA.....CAN WE PLZ SIGN THIS BEAST!

The only reason the Jets would re-sign him before his contract is out if he is willing to take a pay-cut in order to finish his career with the Jets. By the time his new deal starts, he will be 33 years old, and battling what has become chronic knee problems. He is still a productive player, but at his age and condition, certainly a replaceable player as well... Especially considering the lack of need for talented DE's in a 3-4 base defense.

If he wants more money, he is going to have to wait for seasons end so the Jets and other teams can evaluate his performance this season to see how much he has left in the tank.

Great idea. Then when we see this beast retire 2 years into his extension we can continue to watch Nick Mangold continue to make well-deserved pro bowls for another team through the year 2016 because his Jets dollars went to an extension for a past-his-prime Shaun Ellis.

shaun ellis one of the greatest!!!! really???? the guy has been good. not great. he's very rarely dominated games. reggie white was great, bruce smith was great, ellis has been good. we should resign him, but we have waaaaay more important players to re-sign. we really should have drafted a de.

Great idea. Then when we see this beast retire 2 years into his extension we can continue to watch Nick Mangold continue to make well-deserved pro bowls for another team through the year 2016 because his Jets dollars went to an extension for a past-his-prime Shaun Ellis.

I think Sperm hit's it. Jets are trying to win and get younger. Mangold and Revis have to be the priorities. Ellis has been a very good player for us but it's a young mans league for the most part.

I think Sperm hit's it. Jets are trying to win and get younger. Mangold and Revis have to be the priorities. Ellis has been a very good player for us but it's a young mans league for the most part.

Agreed. I'm a big Ellis fan and think he's been woefully underrated around these parts, but we have to be smart here. I'd love to see him sign a new deal on the cheap after this year to stick with the Jets, but if he's not willing to do it then they have to let him walk. He's been a good, productive player, but he's certainly getting up in years.

Although I'm still completely confused by these trade rumors. Frankly, I have to imagine Ellis is more valuable to the Jets than whatever random low-round pick they could pick up in return for him. On top of being a quality starter and a veteran leader on defense, what do you do on the DL if he's gone? Devito already has to be penciled in as a starter as Douglas' replacement, what would you do with Ellis gone? Do the Jets think Pouha can make the move to DE? If so great, but then you're going forward with ZERO depth. It just seems like such an odd scenario, unless Ryan has a DL guy stashed away on the team that he's THAT impressed with to the point that he could count on that guy as a starter or the very least a heavy rotation player.

Agreed. I'm a big Ellis fan and think he's been woefully underrated around these parts, but we have to be smart here. I'd love to see him sign a new deal on the cheap after this year to stick with the Jets, but if he's not willing to do it then they have to let him walk. He's been a good, productive player, but he's certainly getting up in years.

Although I'm still completely confused by these trade rumors. Frankly, I have to imagine Ellis is more valuable to the Jets than whatever random low-round pick they could pick up in return for him. On top of being a quality starter and a veteran leader on defense, what do you do on the DL if he's gone? Devito already has to be penciled in as a starter as Douglas' replacement, what would you do with Ellis gone? Do the Jets think Pouha can make the move to DE? If so great, but then you're going forward with ZERO depth. It just seems like such an odd scenario, unless Ryan has a DL guy stashed away on the team that he's THAT impressed with to the point that he could count on that guy as a starter or the very least a heavy rotation player.

Everybody is underrated around here. Until they are overrated. On this board every player is either THE franchise or a POS. Nobody is merely a capable starter or reliable backup.

Leon Washington, Chris Baker, Brandon Moore. Do any of them suck? No. Are any of them elite and irreplaceable? I don't think so.

Everybody is underrated around here. Until they are overrated. On this board every player is either THE franchise or a POS. Nobody is merely a capable starter or reliable backup.

Can we work this into a tagline of some sorts. Perhaps put it under 'Jetnation.com' on the banner.

You do remember that this league has a salary cap, no? There is no way you consider extending this guy unless you have Brick, Mangold, Revis and Harris locked up and have tons of cap room left over. In other words, not happening.

Leon Washington, Chris Baker, Brandon Moore. Do any of them suck? No. Are any of them elite and irreplaceable? I don't think so.

Chris Baker sucked. Leon Washington was a little overrated. Brandon Moore is vastly underrated - especially by Jets fans.

Shaun Ellis may be the single most underrated player in the NFL over the last decade. The guy is a rare beast who can effectively rush the passer from the DE position in both the 3-4 and 4-3. He is an outstanding run stopper and he does his job year in, year out with little fanfare.

He is one of the best D-Linemen to ever play for this franchise and is unquestionably Bill Parcells' best draft pick with the Jets in terms of overall value.

I agree.

Ellis has been a very tough, reliable player for many years. He has one, maybe two years left. Seems like this will be the last one.

During Tannenbaum

You do remember that this league has a salary cap, no? There is no way you consider extending this guy unless you have Brick, Mangold, Revis and Harris locked up and have tons of cap room left over. In other words, not happening.

Like JiF!

Chris Baker sucked. Leon Washington was a little overrated. Brandon Moore is vastly underrated - especially by Jets fans.

Shaun Ellis may be the single most underrated player in the NFL over the last decade. The guy is a rare beast who can effectively rush the passer from the DE position in both the 3-4 and 4-3. He is an outstanding run stopper and he does his job year in, year out with little fanfare.

He is one of the best D-Linemen to ever play for this franchise and is unquestionably Bill Parcells' best draft pick with the Jets in terms of overall value.

Talk about proving my point. Three capable starters either "suck" are "vastly overrated or " the single most underrated player in the NFL over the last decade". "[D]oing your job year in year out with little fanfare" does not make you a "beast" or super underrated. It makes you somebody that does your job. God forbid anybody just does their job. They are either awesome or they suck!

Being one of Parcells better draft picks with the Jets is like being the straightest member of nsynch. Oh and Abraham was much better.

PS: If you think Brandon Moore is "vastly underrated" you evidently weren't paying attention early last year. Either that or you are one of the idiots that think he is the second coming of John Hannah.

Like JiF!

Talk about proving my point. Three capable starters either "suck" are "vastly overrated or " the single most underrated player in the NFL over the last decade". "[D]oing your job year in year out with little fanfare" does not make you a "beast" or super underrated. It makes you somebody that does your job. God forbid anybody just does their job. They are either awesome or they suck!

Being one of Parcells better draft picks with the Jets is like being the straightest member of nsynch. Oh and Abraham was much better.

PS: If you think Brandon Moore is "vastly underrated" you evidently weren't paying attention early last year. Either that or you are one of the idiots that think he is the second coming of John Hannah.

Abraham was a better pure pass rusher, Ellis is the better all-around player.

Not for nothing, but Ellis averages more sacks and tackles when playing DE in the 3-4 than Richard Seymour. He's also had two double digit sack seasons playing DE in a 4-3. He's forced more fumbles and made more tackles for a loss in his career than Seymour. Yet Seymour spent a five-year stretch being called the best defensive lineman in football while some Jets fans think Shaun Ellis sucks. :rolleyes:

The reality of Ellis' performance and the perception are two totally different things.

Abraham was a better pure pass rusher, Ellis is the better all-around player.

Not for nothing, but Ellis averages more sacks and tackles when playing DE in the 3-4 than Richard Seymour. He's also had two double digit sack seasons playing DE in a 4-3. He's forced more fumbles and made more tackles for a loss in his career than Seymour. Yet Seymour spent a five-year stretch being called the best defensive lineman in football while some Jets fans think Shaun Ellis sucks. :rolleyes:

The reality of Ellis' performance and the perception are two totally different things.

Repeat after me: Stats are not the measure of a DE in the 3-4. Players in a Rex system will get more stats than in a Mangini/Crennell/Belichick system. He is a quality player and has been one for years. That does not make him awesome or all-pro or the most underrated player of our era. He does his job. Celebrate that. Don't overstate it.

Repeat after me: Stats are not the measure of a DE in the 3-4. Players in a Rex system will get more stats than in a Mangini/Crennell/Belichick system. He is a quality player and has been one for years. That does not make him awesome or all-pro or the most underrated player of our era. He does his job. Celebrate that. Don't overstate it.

Whatever dude. Sorry if my opinion differs from yours but tackles for losses and sacks are two of the ways we measure the performance of defensive ends. I love how stats are only meaningless to people when they disprove their point. When the stats are in their favor they are to be regarded with biblical awe. :rolleyes:

Oh, and please stop acting like it's a character flaw to like players who play for the team you root for.

Fans will always overrate the players on their team a bit. Its the nature of the beast.

Dissing fans for doing what fans do just makes you come off like a self-loathing ass.

The PFT "members" that respond to the pseudo news stories might be the most uninformed and generally biased (to the point of retardation) jackasses I've ever been exposed to.

Aside from, of course, the doosh nozzles that actually come up with the "stories," **** and spin that they have been able to veil as sports journalism.

The PFT "members" that respond to the pseudo news stories might be the most uninformed and generally biased (to the point of retardation) jackasses I've ever been exposed to.

Aside from, of course, the doosh nozzles that actually come up with the "stories," **** and spin that they have been able to veil as sports journalism.

Well, seeing as PFT generally persues message boards for "scoops...."

I agree with the bold 100%.

I've always been a big Ellis fan...one of those guys you want to see retire on the Jets. However, if he is holding the team back from signing one of the young cornerstones...then you do with him what you must.

Like JiF!

How is that like me?

I agree with the bold 100%.

I've always been a big Ellis fan...one of those guys you want to see retire on the Jets. However, if he is holding the team back from signing one of the young cornerstones...then you do with him what you must.

I agree with this 100%

One guy is solid and dependable, the other is a fragile game-changer.

He may be made of glass , but Abraham has always been a far better player than Ellis.

The best analogy I can think of for the two is Gastineau and Klecko. Gastineau was a pass rushing freak, but that is literally all he could do. The man was useless against the run. Klecko could do it all. He could rush the passer, he could stop the run. He could play inside or outside.

Abraham is a slightly better version of Gastineau; and like Gastineau his gaudy sack numbers garner a lot of attention even though he is pretty much just as useless against the run.

Ellis is a slightly worse version of Klecko, not quite as versatile or dominating but more durable; and like Klecko he toils quietly and gets his job done and leads his team.

Just look at my username. Which player do you think I am going to prefer?

Whatever dude. Sorry if my opinion differs from yours but tackles for losses and sacks are two of the ways we measure the performance of defensive ends. I love how stats are only meaningless to people when they disprove their point. When the stats are in their favor they are to be regarded with biblical awe. :rolleyes:

Oh, and please stop acting like it's a character flaw to like players who play for the team you root for.

Fans will always overrate the players on their team a bit. Its the nature of the beast.

Dissing fans for doing what fans do just makes you come off like a self-loathing ass.

You can root all you like. I actually really like Ellis as a player, but rooting for him isn't going to turn him into Bruce Smith, is it? It's not overrating a guy a bit, it's

You want to cite stats? Honestly? Abraham 90 sacks and 32 forced fumbles. Ellis 68 and 12. You might be more pissed off if you gave all your cap space to keep Abraham, but he's still worth more.

You can root all you like. I actually really like Ellis as a player, but rooting for him isn't going to turn him into Bruce Smith, is it? I'm not talking about overrating a guy a bit, I'm talking about a very solid starting DE suddenly being better than Seymour. It's like the Pennington/Brady discussions. Remember? You can root without losing touch with reality. Not losing touch doesn't make me self-loathing.

Seriously, all you would hear from some jackasses is how much he sucked. :Nuts:

That's not kicking me in the nuts. It's making my point. Fans on these boards can never accept good, very good, reliable or capable. Everybody is either Hall of Fame material or they suck.

You can root all you like. I actually really like Ellis as a player, but rooting for him isn't going to turn him into Bruce Smith, is it? It's not overrating a guy a bit, it's

You want to cite stats? Honestly? Abraham 90 sacks and 32 forced fumbles. Ellis 68 and 12. You might be more pissed off if you gave all your cap space to keep Abraham, but he's still worth more.

You can root all you like. I actually really like Ellis as a player, but rooting for him isn't going to turn him into Bruce Smith, is it? I'm not talking about overrating a guy a bit, I'm talking about a very solid starting DE suddenly being better than Seymour. It's like the Pennington/Brady discussions. Remember? You can root without losing touch with reality. Not losing touch doesn't make me self-loathing.

That's not kicking me in the nuts. It's making my point. Fans on these boards can never accept good, very good, reliable or capable. Everybody is either Hall of Fame material or they suck.

Where did I say Ellis is a Hall of Famer? You can say Ellis is the most underrated player in the NFL over the last 10 years and not think he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

I'm not one of the jackasses who think Wayne Chrebet deserves to have his jersey retired.

Where did I say Ellis is a Hall of Famer? You can say Ellis is the most underrated player in the NFL over the last 10 years and not think he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

I'm not one of the jackasses who think Wayne Chrebet deserves to have his jersey retired.

I'm confused then. Which one of the jackasses are you? Forgive me. I keep forgetting.

I am.:1cry:

Archived